Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
19 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Spot on matty, in 2017/2018 we had over 15,000 deaths from flu in the UK, namely due to the fact the vaccines was giving insufficient protection.. I think we received over 50,000 winter deaths also.. So i shudder to think what would have happened if this virus started doing the rounds in December on top of a cold winter! So basically some of these flu vaccines can sometimes end up being only effective for a few in 10...keeping up with the varients of influenza can be extremely hard work. 

The way it is going i can't see us ever having that problem in the UK.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Its getting  more worrying by the day.

I fall into the strict social isolation category due to an underlying health condition, i honestly dont know whether i should go to work as 400 people work there and i certainly cannot adhere to the strict social isolation policy if i go to work.

I also have a mortgage , what a mess.

Will work have to suspend me on health and or insurance grounds? Who makes the decision? Me or work?

I think some of these issues are going to be answered at the press conference, apparently the chancellor is going to be done it today.

I think there must be some pretty hefty left wing style policies, ideologically it will be against what they want to do, but people need that safety blanket at the moment otherwise the whole system is going to collapse.

What a mess, it was always going to be bad even with the perfect policy, but hard to feel like they haven't somewhat botched this...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
10 minutes ago, Snipper said:

I wasn’t considering it war but a massive challenge. In doing so worth considering what has happened for other major events to try and judge what to do now.

I agree it is a massive challenge. I have a daughter with CP and uses a power chair and a communication aid, however she is very fit and health. She plays a Paralympic sport and is selected for Tokyo. The advice now given by her coaches and medical support is that she should basically not have contact with anyone outside her close circle of support which means I have to do the same which means no external meetings and everything by conference/video meetings.

For all those who have booked delivery slots for the next 3 / 4 weeks consider those who actually have little or no ability to go to the shops. My daughter cannot get a delivery which means she has to rely on others now to buy her basics. There is little consideration being given to the impact on those vulnerable people who may be healthy but are now scared to venture beyond the front door. Little is being done to support these people.

• Like 4

Posted
42 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

No, but you are allowed to hand write your own if you have no printer but since, as I said earlier, you need one for each day and one for each activity each day (here anyway) you'd be spending your entire time writing. I'm going to have one with all the relevant boxes ticked per day and claim ignorance I think!

Watch it you might be carted off to the Bastille.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Snowycat said:
pmc-logo-share.png
WWW.NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV

Herbs and the essential oils derived from them have been used from the beginning of human history for different purposes. Their beneficial properties have been applied to mask unpleasant odors, attract...

I’ve mixed an air mister spray up - tea tree, clove oil, eucalyptus.  If it doesn’t do any good as an anti-viral I figured it cannot do any harm.    

Interestingly in the pharmacy kit I was given to make up my own hand gel as they had run out of that they included tea tree oil in that .

But not sure if that was done for its anti microbial properties or just for the smell to mask the alcohol .

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Dagmar said:

Always keen to explore new ideas.. What are the chances of this virus having been circulating around the UK for some time before the first case was officially confirmed.

Were some "regular" flu deaths over Christmas/New Year actually this new thing and not accounted as such?

TBH I've never known a winter like it in terms of people close to me with a virus, lung problems, etc..

Might be something which comes out in the wash in due course.

Yes there has been a lot of speculation about this on this thread for a while.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Sky Full said:

I was shocked to hear Richard Morgan on ITV Wales earlier state that under the new restrictions "...everyone showing symptoms must now isolate for 14 days...".  

That is wrong. 

Those showing symptoms are only required to isolate for 7 days, after which time they will no longer be infective.  You only need to isolate for 14 days if you have been exposed to someone else who is already infected.  

If the media can't be bothered to report the advice correctly they shouldn't report anything.

On your own 7 days, family members 14 incase partner, family catch it, but that could be wrong anyway, as it has been seen that some still carry the virus afterwards. However I'm not sure if they still shed it. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather, thunderstorms, snow

Well this is the most surreal Paddy’s Day I’ve ever witnessed. I live in a small town in the Midlands (Ireland). I just drove into town and it was deserted, almost everything closed, no cars or people. Went to a service station and they had oil drums stacked in front of the counter so as to maintain distance. 
Very very strange and eerie indeed as usually there’s loads of hustle and bustle around and on this day in particular you’d have everyone in town for the parade and pubs would be overflowing. 

• Like 3

Posted

Just double checked my kit .

It has tea tree oil and another called cinnamonium camphora .

And the printed instructions from the pharmacy do emphasize that they’ve included those both because of the nice smell but also because of their anti bacterial properties. 

Although we’re dealing with a virus the anti microbial effect may still see a cross over.

• Like 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Its getting  more worrying by the day.

I fall into the strict social isolation category due to an underlying health condition, i honestly dont know whether i should go to work as 400 people work there and i certainly cannot adhere to the strict social isolation policy if i go to work.

I also have a mortgage , what a mess.

Will work have to suspend me on health and or insurance grounds? Who makes the decision? Me or work?

Can you ask your HR department? They might have guidelines your manager has not shared with you?  and is it at all possible to work from home?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
35 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Which is why Cheltenham will be the source of an enquiry down the line, whenever normality returns.

Yes, totally agree nws.

I think not cancelling the Cheltenham Festival was a big mistake.

As I've mentioned many times, on other Threads, I worked for a Croydon Bookmaker for many Years and had the pleasure of working at the Cheltenham Festival in 1989 and 1990.

I'm not sure of the Attendance figures this Year but when I worked there, you literally couldn't move and were continually bumping into Racegoers. There must have been a lot of transmission of the Virus, last Week.

Racing wise, by far my favourite Week of the Horse Racing Calendar but IMO a big mistake by the Government and the British Horseracing Authority, for letting the Festival go ahead.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi: 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

China have reported 21 new confirmed cases & 13 new deaths (12 in Hubei, and 1 in Shaanxi) with 45 suspected cases.

930 further patients were discharged from hospital whilst 1,105 close contacts were released from self-isolation

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

RT Sport

@RTSportNews·34m

BREAKING: Deputy head of Japan’s Olympic Committee has tested POSITIVE for Coronavirus

It must be way, way more widespread since famous people/politicians have it.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

China have reported 21 new confirmed cases & 13 new deaths (12 in Hubei, and 1 in Shaanxi) with 45 suspected cases.

930 further patients were discharged from hospital whilst 1,105 close contacts were released from self-isolation

I think 20 of those cases have been imported from other countries . The deaths are sadly not a surprise.

The length of illness in fatalities can be as long as 8 weeks according to doctors there.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

I just received a text message from the government about the new regulations .

And if you don’t have a printer you can simply reproduce the attestation on a piece of paper by hand .

Macrons address last night was watched by 35 million which is quite extraordinary.

Hopefully this engagement by the public will lead to a better outcome in overcoming the virus spread .

I guess there will be an identification number, so they can check if genuine. 

Posted
1 hour ago, shuggee said:

An appeal to people to remember you are reading posts from people you do not know, you do not know the background of and do not know their motivations - on a weather forum. 

If there are concerns about you or loved ones dial 111, look at NHS websites and seek professional advice.

I still have a cough today, but it's bring up whatever was on my chest, so for now at least, I'm doing OK. 

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, Sky Full said:

WARNING  - CONTROVERSIAL POST ALERT!  I can't help thinking that the policy of protecting the NHS above all else may be wrong if by doing that substantial numbers of businesses throughout the whole country are brought to their knees by the enforced self-isolation of the work force.  This would leave the country in a very poor economic state for years to come.

Perhaps it would be better simply to let everyone carry on as normal and only those who contract the virus stay at home for a couple of weeks until they recover.  A majority of the population takes more than two weeks off for holidays anyway so this couldn't bring commerce to a halt on its own.

The NHS seems destined to be overwhelmed by this whatever we do so we must all be prepared to be denied a hospital bed if we get this virus but it seems most people are recovering at home without serious suffering.  

This is why it makes sense for only the most vulnerable groups to isolate themselves while everyone else gains immunity.  I would controversially suggest that very many over 70 and those with serious or life threatening illnesses are probably not working anyway so their isolation will make little or no difference to the running of the country.

Looking at the figures for China and extrapolating.

The difference between an overwhelmed health service (Hubei province) and a functioning health service (rest of China) was a CFR of 5.9% vs less than 1%. 

Taking that to the UK - Assuming , 90% of China's cases are unreported (WHO view is that was not the case!) and that 50% of the UK population will become infected (bottom end value), that's still an additional (theoretically avoidable) 167,000 fatalities.  Any government that gets tagged with that has lost the next election.

• Like 2

Posted

We are to be working from home from next monday. I have to come in one day next week to take the last of the parts deliveries to the warehouse before they dry up.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Here is a bit of a tongue twister for you folks.. The good folks of those wonderful carrabean Isles are also taking this corona virus seriously. One of there artists ziggy has just unleashed a song giving some advice to stay safe... It took me a little while to work it out, but I must admit it sounds good when you put it together quickly. 

Mi just ah think, we cyan a guh roun and touch people like we used to. Then me link wid one of my G den and you nah da likkle supmdeh, neh we ah rub off big finga. Mi seh dah hail deh nah, it haffi guh cut out. Because dis nuh good fi we health right nah. Right deh so now, Di song pop in a Mi head like like we nah need to move wid de foot and nah de hand. 

There yah guh, I finally got it.. Good stuff jamaica. 

• Like 2

Posted

The Health Minister here has said the situation in the Haut-Rhin Dept is extremely concerning .

Close to being no more available ventilators . The issue isn’t just with enough  but you need sufficient qualified nurses who are trained on those.

That Dept was one of the clusters that appeared and this is the issue, if your cases aren’t spread more evenly then that’s what can really cause one area to be overwhelmed .

Its not just the amount of cases . Which seems to get a lot of media attention.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, kold weather said:

2 new deaths reported in Switzerland overnight, and 6 new deaths in South Korea, so the death rate continues to tick up there.

I hope we can get less deaths today in the UK, because the last three days have out us on pace with Spain, and even worse than Italy at the same point.

Remember that Italy changed to reporting only hospitalised cases: prior to that testing was to track and trace and had a much larger scope in the community. To compare accurately, you need to know the policy and how the tally is calculated.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Spain's morning update has reported 1,236 new cases and 149 new deaths.

11,178 confirmed cases and 491 deaths