Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted

30% of those hospitalised will need critical care; half of those will die. From the Imperial college report.

Prolonged isolation at home.

It is a report from them, computer data fed in to the modelling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
14 minutes ago, Azazel said:

How long were you using codeine for if you don’t mind me asking?

Three or four days, then paracetamol did the job by its self. It was for post opp pain. 

Posted
23 minutes ago, AWD said:

Apparently, latest estimates is up to 50,000 cases. 

p086t37m.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Other "drastic" steps include more working from home and whole households staying at home for 14 days if one person has symptoms.

I have until recently been using roughly 20x the offical cases to get a rough guesstimate on the real numbers, but now its only including hosptial visits, that may as well be totally useless to even try now.

Besides soon the numbers will be so large that it will be easy to focus upon the most important number...the numbers of deaths. 

Posted
29 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Is it not concerning we are currently running a 3.5% death rate even now whilst hospitals aren't too stretched??

4 days ago we had an expected 5-10,000 cases according to the chief scientific officer, we will likely have double that today. 55 deaths as a percentage of let us say 15,000 cases is 0.4%, though you would need to give time for cases to resolve so that will go higher. This is why the chief medical officer says slightly below 1%.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
40 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

There must be something we don't know about.

Could it be that the NHS is in such a bad state that even a few workers taking time off to sort childcare would lead to chaos? 

I suspect there's plenty 'we don't know about'?

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Three or four days, then paracetamol did the job by its self. It was for post opp pain. 

Hmmm probably not withdrawal then. The wet cough is a good thing in a sense - sounds like a garden variety cold When paired with the runny nose - however, don’t take any risks and if you’re concerned, please call 111.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
16 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

I'm pretty sure when a cough starts getting wet it's your body fighting off the infection..

Is it a painful cough?

Not yet. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

30% of those hospitalised will need critical care; half of those will die. From the Imperial college report.

Prolonged isolation at home.

It is a report from them, computer data fed in to the modelling.

My word, is that the data that the government is using in their modelling?

30% critical care for those in hosptial in a disaster. Even in a situation where we drag the peak worst case scenario figure down to just 10% of where they predict, that is still 240,000 critical care beds needed over the next 12 months....and our capacity at the moment is 5,000....and 70-80% is already in use.

That death toll is going to rise...I think we may end up with a ratio close to Italys, and that is very scary.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

My word, is that the data that the government is using in their modelling?

30% critical care for those in hosptial in a disaster. Even in a situation where we drag the peak worst case scenario figure down to just 10% of where they predict, that is still 240,000 critical care beds needed over the next 12 months....and our capacity at the moment is 5,000....and 70-80% is already in use.

That death toll is going to rise...I think we may end up with a ratio close to Italys, and that is very scary.

It has come from the Imperial College report, they are advising the govt. Worst case scenario is 250,000 deaths. If this report is not all over the papers tom, and news this eve, then i'll be very surprised. Grim indeed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

It has come from the Imperial College report, they are advising the govt. Worst case scenario is 250,000 deaths. If this report is not all over the papers tom, and news this eve, then i'll be very surprised. Grim indeed.

Dont know why we dont just do a China and Russia and build more hospitals for Covid.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Government website updated with social distancing advice

We are advising those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.

This group includes those who are:

• Aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
  • Under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (ie anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds):
  • Chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
  • Chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
  • Chronic kidney disease
  • Chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
  • Chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
  • Diabetes
  • Problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
  • A weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
  • Being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above)
  • Those who are pregnant

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well it looks like I'll be able to work from for a little while.

Back to the Government their response is basically reacting to the changes and poorly at that rather than being proactive.

Posted
47 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Yes I think they started with that headache I had last week, thought it was cause I stopped using the codiene after my op, after a few days, still had the headache but with a runny nose, so I thought it's a cold, started a dry cough a few days ago, do have a fever, had the runs this morning, but I'm not out of breath, have been ill for longer than seven days though altogether, and the cough is getting worse and also not so dry anymore. 

I'm feeling like I've turned a corner with this flu or whatever this virus is. Yesterday was my worse day and my chest hurt when I breathed. I had a cough... Today chest is better and so is the cough. I'm feeling better than I have these last four/five days thank god. I will never know if this was coronavirus or not 

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Already hitting the news sites 

sub-buzz-3614-1584389634-13.jpg?crop=300
WWW.BUZZFEED.COM

Scientists advising the government say an aggressive new approach adopted to attempt to "suppress" the virus may have to be in place for 18 months.

4 minutes ago, Jhonny147 said:

I'm feeling like I've turned a corner with this flu or whatever this virus is. Yesterday was my worse day and my chest hurt when I breathed. I had a cough... Today chest is better and so is the cough. I'm feeling better than I have these last four/five days thank god. I will never know if this was coronavirus or not 

You may as they will eventually test to find out if you've had it. Hope you're fighting fit soon - good that you're trending in the right direction  

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Already hitting the news sites 

sub-buzz-3614-1584389634-13.jpg?crop=300
WWW.BUZZFEED.COM

Scientists advising the government say an aggressive new approach adopted to attempt to "suppress" the virus may have to be in place for 18 months.

Well that's not true is it. They gave us the figures on TV the other day, and doing the math it was estimated about half a million could die.

I still have faith we are doing the right thing. My cousin has it, he is in his 40s, but hes almost over it now 

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Well it looks like I'll be able to work from for a little while.

Back to the Government their response is basically reacting to the changes and poorly at that rather than being proactive.

It's actually quite shocking with the actions today now I'm NOT a political person at all but the matter of the fact is if the government keeps this mindset a LOT of people are going to die 

What I'm saying is if there was stronger measures like banning flights etc even a lockdown of sorts look at South Korea and Singapore for example

This is starting to get scary now and not to mention it's a matter of time 

Edited by Skullzrulerz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun
47 minutes ago, Azazel said:

It would be helpful if not terrifying. I wonder if the government know this and worry it will cause outright panic.

I think they probably know. The point is not to scare all under 60s into thinking they’re all going to die, not at all. but to make them aware that there is a risk, albeit small to themselves. A large majority of the young (and I’m talking my age bracket - 30’s) couldn’t give a damn as they think it’s just a cold, nothing to see here ??‍♀️Their attitude puts the vulnerable at risk. If they thought for a second they themselves might be at risk there would be a difference in behaviour amongst those with the blasé attitude. And it works both ways. A large majority of the elderly aren’t all that concerned. I’ve heard ‘oh I’ve lived through x,y,z and this little thing isn’t going to stop me’ and things to that effect. My grandparents won’t self isolate, they think it’s rubbish! But, if they thought for a minute that their younger family members could be effected by this they’d happily lock themselves away til the end of time. My grandparents have long told me they live for us God bless them. So again, the elderly put each other at risk as they think it’s only them that can be affected. The facts would be a good thing.

youre probably right though, people would panic. I just don’t think that way as I’m not one of them. When armed with the facts, my logic is completely switched on and I can function so much better. Ignorance is not bliss and there’s Nothing worse than the fear of the unknown. 

• Like 2