Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

The announcement today is to prepare people for outright ban and closure, bar supermarkets, pharmacies, and a few other outlets. Outright sledgehammer 'ban/closure' probably come in by the weekend possibly?

He might not have to, places are closing anyway. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
54 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Germany and Finland have since closed all schools. The USA just recommended states close schools where community spread is evident.

So 36 countries in Europe can close schools and still manage their health service workforce but the UK can't? The pressure is mounting - can we expect school closures by the end of this week?

Source of quoted graphic if people don't trust twitter:

3500.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Education secretary likely to address concerns about GCSEs and A-levels amid calls to delay exams

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 1

Posted

I advise people to follow the Times science editor.

Whats coming out from the modeling team advising the government in Cobra.

They realized their herd immunity  could lead to 250,000 deaths .

They now realize a stronger response is needed.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think we might well end up with widespread rationing of some products but hopefully not to anywhere near the extent seen in World War II, just enough to curb excessive panic stockpiling, as it's mainly the over-reactions of a significant minority that is causing the shortage of products rather than the virus itself.  Not too surprised to see the government tightening things up as the evidence grows that the numbers of cases are escalating faster than previously envisaged.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

It's just not clear enough, Snipper. A basic message is not enough. Social distancing is made into a nonsense if people are still going to work and the supermarket as normal. Either you have to stay at home and only go for walks well away from other people etc. or you don't. It's just too confusing for people.

Sorry but I really don’t know what the problem is. They were trying to say one option does not fit all circumstances

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
48 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Macron calling out those who are not taking this seriously . Accusing them of putting other people at risk . Really not mincing his words .

But he expected everybody to go out and vote yesterday....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

You can't social distance at work though I had two people within three meters of me at work one of which is now of with suspected Coronavirus

And? People really really need to take some initiative if they are so concerned! Its either down to you or your employer to decide in your case.

I appreciate people expect the government to wipe their bums for them, but there needs to be at least a modicum of self reliance. 

I know the economic side of things is very difficult to balance vs deaths, I really do understand, but, I feel France (and maybe UK too depending how things pan out) is going to be suffering the economic consequences of their plans for years and years. Hopefully I'm wrong, or maybe they are fully justified, but where is the 300 billion euros coming from?

Posted
Just now, matty40s said:

But he expected everybody to go out and vote yesterday....

Yes nuts . But there’s more to that than meets the eye . The opposition parties kicked up a stink saying he wanted to postpone them to avoid losses and wouldn’t support a postponement.

He should have ignored them .

Posted

We have never had to deal with this situation before.  We are in unknown territory and we all have to help each other and not keep expecting the government to have all the ans. 

No health service could ever be ready for what we are experiencing so all we can do is help those in our community 

• Like 2

Posted

Govt and their science advisers seem really adamant on the No School Closures yet. Anyone else think they have growing evidence of kids being superspreaders, even if no symptoms? So they'd rather keep them in school for 7 hours, better than at home with 'temporary' childminders like grandparents

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
55 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Death in a hospital I can see from my bedroom

Oh no, getting far to close. 

Posted
41 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

France going on full lockdown

• Family events & social events banned from midday tomorrow for 15 days
  • People to stay at home. Only allowed out for food, healthcare and work if you can’t work from home
  • Second round of municipal elections off

That will be us in 3 weeks time, no way with things going the way they are that we can continue to have this still slightly wishy washy message. Definate attempt at using nudge theory again today.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, emax said:

And? People really really need to take some initiative if they are so concerned! Its either down to you or your employer to decide in your case.

I appreciate people expect the government to wipe their bums for them, but there needs to be at least a modicum of self reliance. 

I know the economic side of things is very difficult to balance vs deaths, I really do understand, but, I feel France (and maybe UK too depending how things pan out) is going to be suffering the economic consequences of their plans for years and years. Hopefully I'm wrong, or maybe they are fully justified, but where is the 300 billion euros coming from?

Quite. Which is why I’m going to ask to work from home tomorrow as per the government guidelines. I feel like a sitting duck right now.

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Oh no, getting far to close. 

Death in a hospital that people are carted to is not the same as deaths in the house next door.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Govt and their science advisers seem really adamant on the No School Closures yet. Anyone else think they have growing evidence of kids being superspreaders, even if no symptoms? So they'd rather keep them in school for 7 hours, better than at home with 'temporary' childminders like grandparents

There must be something we don't know about.

Could it be that the NHS is in such a bad state that even a few workers taking time off to sort childcare would lead to chaos? 

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

That will be us in 3 weeks time, no way with things going the way they are that we can continue to have this still slightly wishy washy message. Definate attempt at using nudge theory again today.

They are trying to keep the economy moving as long as they possibly can.

We will follow France, and i doubt life as we knew it will return until an effective vaccum if found.

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

I think this article is very important. Anyone under the age of 50 thinking they just need to catch this and get it over with needs to know the truth about what it could mean. 

skynews-coronavirus-covid-19_4943976.jpg
NEWS.SKY.COM

An anaesthetist writes: "Much of the impact of coronavirus is sadly unavoidable."

I didn't dare read this, but I am well aware that if I catch it prior to the development of effective treatments or vaccines, I could easily end up among those under-40s due to allergies and particularly asthma (my asthma is generally mild and well-controlled, but I did get hospitalised for five days in August 2015 when I got a few asthmatic complications too many).  Technically the government is suggesting that it's going to place me in one of the "at risk, take extra caution" groups as it includes those who by default get the seasonal flu jab.  There are plenty of others in their 20s and 30s who would also fall into this category.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

So you would have to gone into lock down today?

Posted
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

There must be something we don't know about.

Could it be that the NHS is in such a bad state that even a few workers taking time off to sort childcare would lead to chaos? 

Time and again they said they were trying to keep pressure off NHS 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I advise people to follow the Times science editor.

Whats coming out from the modeling team advising the government in Cobra.

They realized their herd immunity  could lead to 250,000 deaths .

They now realize a stronger response is needed.

Confused.com Nick! It's been obvious from modelling for days that hundreds of thousands will die to achieve herd immunity. 

But how can they change their response if that's what they believe will ultimately stop the virus? Either you go full out to eradicate it, or you let it happen in a semi-controlled way - there isn't really an in-between, is there? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

What would be really helpful is the figures for those under 60 who have needed critical care. How many? and whether that have underlying conditions or not. It’s all very well saying the elderly are most at risk (no doubt they are) but people are really hanging on to the notion that it’s ‘just’ the elderly that this virus is affecting. Really though the younger people will get priority treatment over the elderly so they have a better chance of survival but we’re not really hearing about those. More elderly will also obviously die because of this. But I’d like to know, say for instance there was no Medical care, how many people under 60 would succumb to this? That would give a more true picture as to what’s going on here and maybe when presented with the facts People would be more inclined to take this seriously as they should. Yes it might scare some people but I think people need a certain amount of fear to behave accordingly. Knowledge is power. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

They are trying to keep the economy moving as long as they possibly can.

We will follow France, and i doubt life as we knew it will return until an effective vaccum if found.

Hoover the virus up, novel idea. ha.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
1 minute ago, Tilly said:

What would be really helpful is the figures for those under 60 who have needed critical care. How many? and whether that have underlying conditions or not. It’s all very well saying the elderly are most at risk (no doubt they are) but people are really hanging on to the notion that it’s ‘just’ the elderly that this virus is affecting. Really though the younger people will get priority treatment over the elderly so they have a better chance of survival but we’re not really hearing about those. More elderly will also obviously die because of this. But I’d like to know, say for instance there was no Medical care, how many people under 60 would succumb to this? That would give a more true picture as to what’s going on here and maybe when presented with the facts People would be more inclined to take this seriously as they should. Yes it might scare some people but I think people need a certain amount of fear to behave accordingly. Knowledge is power. 

If our behaviour can change to alter this outcome then how many people under 60 would rather NOT be in the situation where they are leaving a medical professional with the choice between saving them or an elderly victim?

I presume many

• Like 2