Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
6 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

What freight do you move, if its food or other essentials you are essential. Also gas oil or fuel. 

Anything and everything.   More so Aggregate, Tarmac, Limestone, ballast, waste etc. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

I wouldn't have thought many can actually 'work from home'  in reality.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Dami said:

I just wish I had the choice in the next couple of weeks to home school my daughter. I know it will be hard to close the schools but at least this could lessen numbers. 

I'll keep you posted.

Yes please.  There is only so much that can be done by anyone at the moment.  Please can those who have a catch all situation comment please come forward 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
44 minutes ago, swebby said:

My local college has 6000+ students, 16-18 y.o's, traveling in from as far as Cornwall, Dorset and Somerset.  Think there are plenty of other tertiary education colleges across the country that are similar.  By keeping them open, you have to assume the government are intentionally trying to spread the virus? The argument about it stopping parents from working is bobbins! 16-18 year olds commuting 80+ miles by train to college do not need a parent to stay off work and look after them!

And could baby sit younger siblings. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Not sure if anyone posted this and not intended to scaremonger but another thing. 

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Good so how do I get a test, get symptoms which I think is a cold, but might not be. 

Posted

If schools were closed who looks after the children of NHS workers?

Potential for 1000s of businesses to go out of business.

A stunning Spring day like today has always been a sign of hope of wonderful days ahead. Not sure any more!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Add to the other issues we could have a complete standoff between employers and employees. Employees are being told to self isolate themselves and everyone they live with if they feel ill. How many could this end up being? It could be costly for employers, would they try to force burden of proof on those isolating? I cannot see mass testing outside of hospitals happening immediately so people could be threatened to come back to work. 
This is why situations like this you need to put down laws to enforce what you want to happen and put measures in place to compensate those who lose out. By letting everyone sort things out amongst themselves you could end up with chaos.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Official data now in 

As of 9am on 16 March, a total of 44,105 have been tested: 42,562 negative. 1,543 positive. 55 patients who tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) have sadly died.

3,826 results to 9am today of which 171 were positive (6.5%)

20 new deaths to 55

• Like 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, Snipper said:

The whole family needs to isolate

Not talking about if ill, but both me and my husband have conditions that may be covered by the twelve week thing, it'll be impossible to keep the kids in that long. 

• Like 1

Posted

I really fear we’re going to end up with another group being scapegoated.

Those older people who have no choice but to go out and do their own shopping . 

I wish the media would ask the obvious question. What practical measures are being put in place to help older people.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Lot's of people still out around London, my usual underground journey was as busy as ever. About 1 in 100 wearing a face mask, which is quite the contrast to some European countries!

The supermarkets however have been raided. Last week it was only toilet paper + beans, but now most non-perishables have gone or v. low stocks. I've been to 4 supermarkets and couldn't find any bottled water at all (first world problems lol). I fear this is just going to get worse in London after Boris' comments. The poor will suffer the most. 

Guest Delete Me
3 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Lot of people out there were more than a little concerned weeks ago.

Yes, I know. I've been trying to tell people since early January that the Wuhan wet market outbreak would not be contained and to start prepping for an eventual spread. What did people say? its just the flu don't be silly.

It's elevated to an entirely swearing is not big or clevered up level of worry/fear/anxiety tonight after this press conference.

Supermarkets cannot re-stock quick enough to cope with the demands of feeding 66.7 million people, even with rationing. The supply chain may be intact but there comes a point whereby our import market slows down - Spain, Italy, France  etc all need to feed their own during a time of unprecedented demand for food and the basics. Can the UK cope with the possibility of having 30% of its food imports slow down or come to a halt?

Posted
4 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Not sure if anyone posted this and not intended to scaremonger but another thing. 

H5N6 Bird flu pops up now and again as it is endemic in the wild.  Principle concern is for the industry as infected flocks need to be destroyed for economic and public health reasons.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I really fear we’re going to end up with another group being scapegoated.

Those older people who have no choice but to go out and do their own shopping . 

I wish the media would ask the obvious question. What practical measures are being put in place to help older people.

I can tell you in my village, people are taking on the challenge to support their friends and neighbours. Using social media to begin organising the local support network... I would imagine the same is being repeated in other communities. I'm not sure that the State can provide in this instance, it'll be busy trying to keep the wheels on the NHS.

Edited by Selliso
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

More confused messages from the Government.

Anyway our University management are even more clueless. One building were one person has been confirmed and one suspect has had several floors closed for deep cleaning. Not all floors just some. The staff haven't been told to self isolate just moved to other buildings. One person on our team has gone into hospital with a fever and suspect Coronavirus and the management isn't doing anything. 

Unions aren't happy at the University none policy.

• Like 1

Guest Delete Me
3 minutes ago, swebby said:

H5N6 Bird flu pops up now and again as it is endemic in the wild.  Principle concern is for the industry as infected flocks need to be destroyed for economic and public health reasons.

Also cases of Bird Flu in India today

Posted
3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Not talking about if ill, but both me and my husband have conditions that may be covered by the twelve week thing, it'll be impossible to keep the kids in that long. 

Any relatives that they could realistically stay with?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
14 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

If schools were closed who looks after the children of NHS workers?

Potential for 1000s of businesses to go out of business.

A stunning Spring day like today has always been a sign of hope of wonderful days ahead. Not sure any more!

Who looks after them when they are all off sick with the virus? Not to mention that the parents/caters would now have been exposed, along with teachers. 
You could have a massive spike in infection numbers in a small area which could snowball rapidly into something you cannot contain or treat.

I am sure the teaching community could work out measures to makes sure that children were looks after if the parents have to work, it seems more feasible than keeping millions of people inside for potentially 3-4 months? The phrase “you and what army” comes to mind.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

The announcement today is to prepare people for outright ban and closure, bar supermarkets, pharmacies, and a few other outlets. Outright sledgehammer 'ban/closure' probably come in by the weekend possibly?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

My Wife has decided to flout her Employer (BUPA) instructions about not wearing a Face Mask at her job, at a Residential Care Home, as evidently it frightens the Residents. She will wear one on her next shift. I've told her to walk out of the job, if the Management object.

Around Christmas time, she had a very temporary but violent dose of the Norovirus, which was rife in the Care Home at the time. Again, she was not allowed to wear a Face Mask when giving Personal Care, to the Residents, and without going into graphic detail, contracting it was inevitable.

Just said to my Wife, I wonder if Boris is "half cursing" Theresa May's decision to resign from the Tory Leadership. It now seems like a "Poisoned Chalice". No doubt his ego enjoys the limelight, though.

He's achieved BREXIT, can he now pull off COREXIT.

Never thought I'd hear myself say this but if he does, I might even vote for him next time!!

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 3