Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
27 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Does not supporting mass gatherings mean a ban . Very confused .

I think he means mass gatherings won't be supported by the emergency services. It is all very confusing though. Nothing really "draconian" despite the word being used.

Who knows what we'll hear this evening...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Just a load of advisory suggestions, though removing emergency staff from large gathering would by default mean they were illegal. I guess the aim is again to prod people/businesses to act without actual government lawmaking.

Dropping the London being well ahead remark might have been unwise given current public reactions.

They still seem to want to keep us on the current trend, which again we appear to be ahead of. Once you are left of the exponential curve, you will need to readjust your expectations quickly or you will be constantly too late with introducing tougher measures.

I must admit, saying social distancing but keeping schools open seem to be contradicting statements.

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

So what happens when half the world's population becomes infected, which it might well do: an utterly impossible-to-manage entangled web of mostly asymptomatic infection? TBH, I'd rather see resources aimed at two other, arguably rather more pressing, priorities than any notion of 'extinction': those most vulnerable from infection by COVID-19, now; and a viable vaccine for COVID-19, ASAP...?

WHO i believe are still working on the basis that contain and eradicate is feasible.  They will be looking at China/S.Korea as potential evidence of that.  It is probably wishful thinking on their part, but then again, they have to think like that. They are concerned about every nation in the world, not just rich western ones.  The UK's approach might work........ in the UK! Trying our approach in Mexico or Bangladesh with their health care systems may not work so well? 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mark88 said:

So don't go to the pub (my local usually has about 30 people in it) the pictures (maybe a couple of 100 people on a busy day) but let's keep schools open (potentially over 1000 students - we have 700 on roll.) It's just so disjointed. Half the pupils at our school rely on grandparents to pick them up anway it's not even shielding the elderly.

Its a tricky one, I think schools are going to start to really struggle ,especially with the 14 days isolation for households with it, I think staffing is going to make especially the last week before easter very tricky for many schools as well.

• Like 1

Posted

Another 349 deaths in Italy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

So what happens when half the world's population becomes infected, which it might well do: an utterly impossible-to-manage entangled web of mostly asymptomatic infection? TBH, I'd rather see resources aimed at two other, arguably rather more pressing, priorities than any notion of 'extinction': those most vulnerable from infection by COVID-19, now; and a viable vaccine for COVID-19, ASAP...?

When that happens, sure. It hasn't happened yet, and S. Korea shows what can be done to control infections, even when they've climbed into the thousands. Most of the world isn't on board with the herd immunity approach, and WHO certainly isn't either.

• Like 3

Posted

Does anyone here understand the insurance situation?

If the government gives informal advice how do businesses claim for losses if they had that on a policy .

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mark88 said:

So don't go to the pub (my local usually has about 30 people in it) the pictures (maybe a couple of 100 people on a busy day) but let's keep schools open (potentially over 1000 students - we have 700 on roll.) It's just so disjointed. Half the pupils at our school rely on grandparents to pick them up anway it's not even shielding the elderly.

My local college has 6000+ students, 16-18 y.o's, traveling in from as far as Cornwall, Dorset and Somerset.  Think there are plenty of other tertiary education colleges across the country that are similar.  By keeping them open, you have to assume the government are intentionally trying to spread the virus? The argument about it stopping parents from working is bobbins! 16-18 year olds commuting 80+ miles by train to college do not need a parent to stay off work and look after them!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Yes, its a very clever way of saying its going to be banned from now on, without actually technically banning it.

I mean that will effectively have the same outcome. 

Health and safety at work act 1974 etc is an act of LAW.  This means if people  fail to comply they are breaking the law.  You have to have a certain amount of first aid cover and some require police attendance to comply.  So yes by law they have effectively closed down events concerts and such.

Edited by Snow Queen one
  • Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, swebby said:

Hi booferking, have you got a link please?  

The Guardians rolling coverage, says they would find such a test useful, not that they have one.  Someone somewhere has possibly mixed things up?

They mentioned it in boris broadcast about a new test that can do both test if you have or had coronavirus.

They mentioned they're looking to get exact numbers who got this virus so they can learn from it.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, swebby said:

My local college has 6000+ students, 16-18 y.o's, traveling in from as far as Cornwall, Dorset and Somerset.  Think there are plenty of other tertiary education colleges across the country that are similar.  By keeping them open, you have to assume the government are intentionally trying to spread the virus? The argument about it stopping parents from working is bobbins! 16-18 year olds commuting 80+ miles by train to college do not need a parent to stay off work and look after them!

I think colleges should be a different matter from schools, because they are of an age where really they should be at least capable of living somewhat independently and they are a large body of people who do move around the community as you say.

I can definately see the logic in keeping schools open. My question still remains, what is happening with regards to the Easter Holiday??

The whole childcare and grandparent argument falls a little flat when we have a 17 day holiday about to start...where often grandparents look after the kids during the week. So what is going to be done about that? You either close schools for good at that point, or you force them to stay open through Easter. Any other half way measure where a normal service is retained is pure daftness IMO.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
Just now, Skullzrulerz said:

Still a terrible situation in Italy. They've had a bit of a decrease however.

Perhaps a small glimmer of hope on the horizon?

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

The difference between Spain and Portugal is remarkable with more people dying in Spain from the virus than confirmed cases in Portugal 

Going to be interesting watching Portugal and other European countries who have gone hardcore with social distancing after only a few deaths. Will they be largely untouched for the time being? 

• Like 1

Posted

I think it’s crucial to state explicitly what help will be on offer to older people who are being asked to stay at home . Some need care , some don’t have family nearby , etc.

A lot of older people are going to be very afraid . And also they’re going to be stigmatized if they do go out as if they’re taking risks and putting more strain on the NHS.

And it’s okay talking about shielding older people , that all sounds nice and fluffy but what the hell does that mean unless you make sure they’re not left isolated with no help .

These press conferences should spend more time dealing with the practical issues  faced by some older people.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Still a terrible situation in Italy. They've had a bit of a decrease however.

Perhaps a small glimmer of hope on the horizon?

Far too small and not long enough to know.

Could easily be just natural day-to-day variation of the numbers, much like we are seeing today with less deaths being reported here. Doesn't mean we are beating it.

IF we see 3-5 days of sustained drops like we saw with China and South Korea, then we can be more positive, remembering that that even a quick downward trend will probably still result in 4,000 deaths in Italy from this point if it follows China's example

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Again the concern for me is this almost assumption that we can control this like turning on a tap. The spread of a virus can be very unpredictable.

It gets even more concerning that they say that and then say that the country as a whole is ahead of their estimates and London is even further ahead still. It suggests the modelling is off.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 5

Posted
27 minutes ago, AWD said:

I'm confused about the working from home situation. 

I'm a freight train driver, therefore obviously can't work from home, but neither do I think I'm essential? 

Therefore do I go to work, including travelling, or do I sit at home and hope I get paid. 

Oh, and we have a non existent HR department so don't tell me to find out from my employer. 

After that press conference I am now confused too.

Are 'we' to use the London Underground or not, it wasn't mentioned directly but its one hell of a social gathering!

Posted

Many of my clients have now suspended all visits and I am worried for them without the social and care contact that I give.

It seems that I will either be paid for my agreed monthly average hours and/or have to claim "chomage" (unemployment benefit) to top up. We'll manage, we'll get through this and the sun will be shining on the other side...

• Like 1