Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted

It's getting surreal here. There was an announcement in the street over some loudspeakers (which I'd always assumed were just relics of the Cold War) advising people to wear masks or improvise with a scarf. It reminded me of the old Protect and Survive broadcasts, which were used to prepare the public for nuclear war.

Almost everyone I see is wearing a mask now. I went to the supermarket with a scarf around my face (you can't shop without covering your face). It felt weird walking around the (ever-emptying) aisles looking like someone who likes to throw Molotov cocktails at riot police.

I sincerely hope the restrictions don't get any tighter.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

This information could be useful to some people.

Coronavirus: How to protect your mental health

Coronavirus has plunged the world into uncertainty and the constant news about the pandemic can feel relentless. All of this is taking its toll on people's mental health, particularly those already living with conditions like anxiety and OCD. So how can we protect our mental health? Being concerned about the news is understandable, but for many people it can make existing mental health problems worse.

When the World Health Organization released advice on protecting your mental health during the coronavirus outbreak, it was welcomed on social media. As Anxiety UK's Nicky Lidbetter explains, the fear of being out of control and unable to tolerate uncertainty are common characteristics of many anxiety disorders. So it's understandable that many individuals with pre-existing anxiety are facing challenges at the moment. "A lot of anxiety is rooted in worrying about the unknown and waiting for something to happen - coronavirus is that on a macro scale," agrees Rosie Weatherley, spokesperson for mental health charity Mind.

So how can we protect our mental health?

- Limit the news and be careful what you read. Reading lots of news about coronavirus has led to panic attacks for Nick, a father-of-two from Kent, who lives with anxiety. "When I'm feeling anxious my thoughts can spiral out of control and I start thinking about catastrophic outcomes," he says. Nick is worried about his parents and other older people he knows. "Usually when I suffer I can walk away from a situation. This is out of my control," he says. Having long periods away from news websites and social media has helped him to manage his anxiety. He has also found support helplines, run by mental health charities such as AnxietyUK, useful.

- Limit the amount of time you spend reading or watching things which aren't making you feel better. Perhaps decide on a specific time to check in with the news. There is a lot of misinformation swirling around - stay informed by sticking to trusted sources of information such as government and NHS websites.

More: 

_111255467_overwhelm.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Advice on protecting your mental health during the coronavirus outbreak.

• Like 4

Posted

The PM's press conference live reporting on the Gurniaad

"He says the situation is particularly serious in London, which is several weeks ahead of the rest of the country in terms of the spread of coronavirus."

Has the PM gone "off script" here, or is he planning to empty London?

Look what happened when the Italians gave notice that they will be locking down Lomabardy.

• Like 1

Posted

Now talking about indirect deaths . Something we’ve talked about in here .

If the the health system gets overwhelmed that could happen . I think this aspect is an issue which is leading many European countries to bring in draconian measures .

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, nick sussex said:

Now talking about indirect deaths . Something we’ve talked about in here .

If the the health system gets overwhelmed that could happen . I think this aspect is an issue which is leading many European countries to bring in draconian measures .

I think this indeed why many countries have acted rapidly to try and avoid getting to that point. I think we've been a little slow off the mark on this one, but thats really not here or there at this point as they are now acting.

I think the measures are pretty balanced from what I've seen and probably strike something that is sustainable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

The working from home comment was that just for London 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Italy have announced 3,233 new cases and 349 new deaths

Total to 27,980 cases and 2,158 deaths

Both new cases and new deaths have seen a slight fall since yesterday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Serious health conditions, or anything long term? 

If me and my husband need to self isolate, ie my husband has copd and heart problems, what happens to the kids, cause they can't come in and out for school which isn't closed, or who will take the youngest in. Won't work. 

Guest Delete Me

Summary of what was said by Boris and his team:

• We are at the start of the upward growth curve.
  • Anyone exhibiting symptoms must now isolate for 14 days.
  • Everyone must now stop nonessential contact with others and unnecessary travel.
  • Business and people should work from home where they can.
  • Do not use the NHS unless you need to.
  • People over 70, those with health conditions and pregnant women should avoid social contact from now.
  • He knows it will be difficult but we need to do it now as it will be effective to slow the spread and reduce fatalities.
  • We need to focus on the most vulnerable.
  • By the weekend we will need to go further and not contact the vulnerable for 12 weeks
  • London is a few weeks ahead of the rest of the country.
  • Londoners must pay special attention to social distancing and take this seriously
  • We are implementing measures at the right time and stage, but that time is now.
  • The measures have an objective -   1 is to delay transmission 2 is to keep people safe
  • Whole household isolation will come into effect, if one member of the household gets it then all must isolate

Posted
11 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Does not supporting mass gatherings mean a ban . Very confused .

If you are required to have police or other emergency services at an event, you have effectively been shut down.  The requirement might be an insurance one rather than a legal one.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, swebby said:

If you are required to have police or other emergency services at an event, you have effectively been shut down.  The requirement might be an insurance one rather than a legal one.

Yes, its a very clever way of saying its going to be banned from now on, without actually technically banning it.

I mean that will effectively have the same outcome. 

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Italy have announced 3,233 new cases and 349 new deaths

Total to 27,980 cases and 2,158 deaths

Both new cases and new deaths have seen a slight fall since yesterday

Well within the range of uncertainty though so not going to read too much into that.

The main thing is that is still a large upswing in deaths. Italy looks likely at this point to overtake China in terms of death even if the lockdown does finally have the impact we are hoping it does for them in bringing new cases right down.

Posted
6 minutes ago, booferking said:

BREAKING 

Testing will be ramped up along with a new test that will be able to detect if you caught this virus even if it was mild.

They've got a sera test?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
30 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

So what happens when half the world's population becomes infected, which it might well do: an utterly impossible-to-manage entangled web of mostly asymptomatic infection? TBH, I'd rather see resources aimed at two other, arguably rather more pressing, priorities than any notion of 'extinction': those most vulnerable from infection by COVID-19, now; and a viable vaccine for COVID-19, ASAP...?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I'm confused about the working from home situation. 

I'm a freight train driver, therefore obviously can't work from home, but neither do I think I'm essential? 

Therefore do I go to work, including travelling, or do I sit at home and hope I get paid. 

Oh, and we have a non existent HR department so don't tell me to find out from my employer. 

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, booferking said:

BREAKING 

Testing will be ramped up along with a new test that will be able to detect if you caught this virus even if it was mild.

Hi booferking, have you got a link please?  

The Guardians rolling coverage, says they would find such a test useful, not that they have one.  Someone somewhere has possibly mixed things up?

• Like 1

Posted

So don't go to the pub (my local usually has about 30 people in it) the pictures (maybe a couple of 100 people on a busy day) but let's keep schools open (potentially over 1000 students - we have 700 on roll.) It's just so disjointed. Half the pupils at our school rely on grandparents to pick them up anway it's not even shielding the elderly.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

"People above 70-years-old, people who in adult life are advised to take the flu vaccine and women who are pregnant' should take COVID19 social distancing measures particularly seriously"

So anyone of the above need to take social distancing seriously until mid June at least