Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Had to happen sooner or later.

uk-government-coronavirus-poster.png
MAYORDAVE.ORG.UK

Director of Public Health at Bedford Borough Council, Muriel Scott, said "Bedford Hospital is currently treating an individual who tested positive for Coronavirus. We wish them all the best...

Bedford's first known case. 

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
3 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Remember to look in percentage terms. That 15 to 100 was a ~650% increase in a month, that 100 to 1000 in 8 days was a 1000% increase (a bad sign) however that 1000 to 2000 is a 100% increase in 3 days which may indicate something like a ~350% increase in the 8 day period (a better sign). 

The same early signs are present in Italy despite the high numbers. Between the 1st and 5th of March cases increased about 100% followed by about 175% between the 5th and 10th however between the 10th and 15th the active case rate increased by about 150% which may be an early sign of their quarantine working despite the scary 3000 new case increases.

Looking at our own numbers they are bad but not not as scary as selective periods of different lengths shown from the tweet. Between the 1st and 5th our cases rose about 240%, between the 5th and 10th there are ~250 new cases but the rate of increase is actually about the same 270% and between the 10th and 15th is again about the same 270% even though a jump from 359 to 1336 looks scary.

As ever (i have to give the same lessons to people dealing with polling in political circles sadly) it is important to have a proper statistical understanding when looking at what can appear to be scary figures.  

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, summer blizzard said:

Remember to look in percentage terms. That 15 to 100 was a ~650% increase in a month, that 100 to 1000 in 8 days was a 1000% increase (a bad sign) however that 1000 to 2000 is a 100% increase in 3 days which may indicate something like a ~350% increase in the 8 day period (a better sign). 

The same early signs are present in Italy despite the high numbers. Between the 1st and 5th of March cases increased about 100% followed by about 175% between the 5th and 10th however between the 10th and 15th the active case rate increased by about 150% which may be an early sign of their quarantine working despite the scary 3000 new case increases.

Looking at our own numbers they are bad but not not as scary as selective periods of different lengths shown from the tweet. Between the 1st and 5th our cases rose about 240%, between the 5th and 10th there are ~250 new cases but the rate of increase is actually about the same 270% and between the 10th and 15th is again about the same 270% even though a jump from 359 to 1336 looks scary.

As ever (i have to give the same lessons to people dealing with polling in political circles sadly) it is important to have a proper statistical understanding when looking at what can appear to be scary figures.  

To be fair SB you cannot compare them at all from now on because they are showing two completely different things.

Upto last Thursday they were shown people who were tested to hit a specific range of symptoms or who had been a certain place. Its now totally changed and is for everyone displaying the symptoms who has been hospitalised regardless of from where.

Its like comparing apples to oranges.

Far better to keep a closer eye on the death totals from now on, they will give you a better long term grip, especially as sadly they start to escalate upwards.

Still waiting for death report today, we know of at least 2 more.

• Like 3

Posted

I'm now starting to wonder if in some people this is incredibly mild. About 10 days ago, I fell asleep in the afternoon, twice. I only ever do this when my body is fighting something. I also felt a bit breathless. Both my partner and I starting having night sweats. Can't comment on a cough because I've still got a post-cold cough from a cold virus I had in late January. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Edited by Team Squirrel
  • Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

To be fair SB you cannot compare them at all from now on because they are showing two completely different things.

Upto last Thursday they were shown people who were tested to hit a specific range of symptoms or who had been a certain place. Its now totally changed and is for everyone displaying the symptoms who has been hospitalised regardless of from where.

Its like comparing apples to oranges.

Far better to keep a closer eye on the death totals from now on, they will give you a better long term grip, especially as sadly they start to escalate upwards.

Still waiting for death report today, we know of at least 2 more.

So are they sticking with 171 cases today?

Posted

Head of WHO live conference now, i'm watching on Sky News. Guidance - Anyone self-isolating at home and with someone else caring at home, - even if symptoms go and you feel better, you should add on another 2 weeks of isolation, no visitors or other family/friends in same house.

• Like 1

Posted

This on the bbc.

_111273596_gettyimages-1163531826-1.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The move comes as supermarkets continue to limit the sales of certain products to avoid them selling out.

That seems a really good idea (providing the store is cleaned etc before opening).  Will reassure vulnerable groups that are anxious about mixing with people and do not have access to online shopping.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Head of WHO live conference now, i'm watching on Sky News. Guidance - Anyone self-isolating at home and with someone else caring at home, - even if symptoms go and you feel better, you should add on another 2 weeks of isolation, no visitors or other family/friends in same house.

So if symptoms last 2 weeks you should isolate for a month since onset of symptoms? Seems a bit extreme.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
2 minutes ago, swebby said:

This on the bbc.

_111273596_gettyimages-1163531826-1.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The move comes as supermarkets continue to limit the sales of certain products to avoid them selling out.

That seems a really good idea (providing the store is cleaned etc before opening).  Will reassure vulnerable groups that are anxious about mixing with people and do not have access to online shopping.

What an excellent idea. The other stores should follow suit.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Montenegro is the only European country without a confirmed coronavirus case. However, Montenegro has placed a ban on public gatherings, closed schools, ports and some other border crossings for at least 14 days as a preemptive measure.

Now that's impressive. I would like to see their results and how they get on from 2 weeks time. If they don't get any confirmed coronavirus cases during the two weeks, then other countries without a coronavirus case should put those actions into place to prevent the virus.

Well played, Milo Đukanović!

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

So if symptoms last 2 weeks you should isolate for a month since onset of symptoms? Seems a bit extreme.

Dont shoot the messenger. I presume he was talking about people who've been tested positive, but then told to self isolate.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Has anyone got a link to the new WHO guidelines I am must interested about the new advice about pregnancy as my wife is 5 months pregnant. Thanks if anyone can help

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
4 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Has anyone got a link to the new WHO guidelines I am must interested about the new advice about pregnancy as my wife is 5 months pregnant. Thanks if anyone can help

There’s a long thread on Twitter 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
12 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Have they said why, is it recatchable or something? 

Posted
Just now, BarnetBlizzard said:

No, you can still pass it on even after symptoms have passed. 

Yep, we have same cases here still testing positive after more than two weeks with no symptoms at all.

Posted
56 minutes ago, MAF said:

Can I stress this point again. Recommending any form of medication is probably not right without professional advice. Every single person will be different and even taking the recommended dose of a medicine could be bad for some without checking with their GP. I think it's playing with fire to suggest medicine on a forum. Just my opinion.  

Whole heartedly agree most unwise.  By inference suggesting others do the same. Not much difference to consulting the local witch  doctor.  I really feel there are far too many postings on here about drugs by people who are not qualified to make a comment. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
8 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

I have started a new topic in the Netweather Learning Area and have added a link to the 2020 publication by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. This contains information for pregnant women and their families.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is chairing an emergency meeting of COBRA before holding the first of what will be daily TV news conferences to update the public on COVID-19 - the prevalent strain of coronavirus.

The UK is thought to be moving towards the banning of mass gatherings and asking the elderly to self-isolate.

European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen has proposed a 30-day ban on non-essential foreign travel to the EU. The proposal will be discussed with member states tomorrow.

An official earlier said: "Ireland and Britain are encouraged to align."

Source: Sky News

• Like 1

Posted

If Wales with its population size had 30 new cases then it seems strange that the whole UK combined saw a rise of 171.

I know there’s some confusion with the update but the gov site has updated. So has there been some major mess up.

Posted
14 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Have they said why, is it recatchable or something? 

I think WHO are still working on the basis of containment and eradication as a possibility.  The UK's unilateral approach is a bit of a fly in the ointment on that front.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

• Like 7