Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Breaking: BBC to delay TV licence fee changes for the over-75s until August

Hopefully rents are next... if I can’t work for even a month I’m in serious trouble ☹️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Been out and about. A big shop in Aldi, well stocked bar loo roll; then onto Tesco for some specific branded stuff we need; there was no loo roll or heinz baked beans. I like to think we have an excuse, as we were emptying our larder and freezer, due to 8 weeks in Fuerteventura from next Wed. Now postponed.

There is a new Lidl that's popped up on the road from Patchway to Cribbs Causeway, just by the Concorde bunker at Filton Airport. 

Went there the other day and was reletively quiet compared to other supermarkets. 

Edited by AWD

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Been out and about. A big shop in Aldi, well stocked bar loo roll; then onto Tesco for some specific branded stuff we need; there was no loo roll or heinz baked beans. I like to think we have an excuse, as we were emptying our larder and freezer, due to 8 weeks in Fuerteventura from next Wed. Now postponed.

Law and sods comes to mind

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
2 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

Where are the reports?

Daily Express. Yes I know if it is like their weather forecasts....

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Breaking: BBC to delay TV licence fee changes for the over-75s until August

More evidence that the lockdown for the older portion of the population is imminent,

I think this will get massive backlash by the way, to the point where I fully expect some will still go out and the optics of them getting arrested is probably going to spell serious problems for this government. Even though I do think its actually a pretty on point policy that allows the rest of the country to at least attempt to carry on as normal...though realistically, that is a fallacy.

• Like 3

Posted

If care homes are going to get hit hard from this, should we not be offering staff (not bosses) a substantial amount of tax free cash to potentially live in and keep residents totally isolated for a few months?

When Covid-19 sweeps through homes, it's going to have a massive impact on the death rates nationally and the ability of the individual NHS Trusts to cope at a local level.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
33 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Macron to give a televised address tonight at 8 PM French time .

Looks like I did the right thing stocking up today ! 

He wouldn’t be doing that unless more restrictions are coming in . The only country now in Europe which resembles any sort of  normality in terms of daily life is the UK. 

What do you think the restrictions will be, Nick?

I'm stocked up but the local Proxi is still well provided and noticeably busier than usual, which is a perverse kind of good news for Christine because the business often struggles at this time of year.

I got a rubbish night's sleep last night so after walking to my first client in the village, I decided to cycle the 4km to my next as the rain had stopped. I feel so much better and I think I'll do the same tomorrow even if I have to be there for 08h15 - the weather forecast is superb for the next few days, 20c+ progged - so between running and cycling I reckon I'll get the sleep I need.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spikecollie said:

What do you think the restrictions will be, Nick?

I'm stocked up but the local Proxi is still well provided and noticeably busier than usual, which is a perverse kind of good news for Christine because the business often struggles at this time of year.

I got a rubbish night's sleep last night so after walking to my first client in the village, I decided to cycle the 4km to my next as the rain had stopped. I feel so much better and I think I'll do the same tomorrow even if I have to be there for 08h15 - the weather forecast is superb for the next few days, 20c+ progged - so between running and cycling I reckon I'll get the sleep I need.

I didn't bother stocking up, but I noted the houses around me that did. Should the SHTF, I'll be raiding them at first dawn. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
14 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

For anyone who is still wondering what we are dealing with here is a little run-down of the virus provided to me by someone who is properly qualified.....

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_______________________________________________________________________________________________

A PRIMER ON CORONAVIRUS  COVID-19.

Coronaviruses are enveloped RNA viruses, this means they can survive and remain infective on surfaces for some time.- some scientists say for up to three days.

The envelope is made of a lipid (fatty) bilayer which can be disrupted by soap causing the virus to literally fall apart. This is why hand washing, surface washing etc is best done with soap.

So what happens if you touch a contaminated surface and don't wash your hands? Infective virus particles are transferred to your fingers and if you touch your mouth, nose or eyes the virus will be transferred to the mucous membranes so don't touch your face.

The virus has some protein receptors sticking out of its surface (under electron microscopy this makes the virus look like a crown, corona = crown).

These receptors attach the virus to your cell.  It then injects its RNA into your cell.

1)      You are now infected but not infectious or symptomatic.

The virus RNA hijacks your DNA and causes it to start making copies of itself, at the end of approx 3 days all these new copies are released to infect new cells and to be released into the environment.

2)     You are now infected and infectious but not symptomatic.

During this phase which may last 2-4 days you are at your most infectious. You are a super shedder leaving active virus everywhere. 

When you are shedding you can disperse viruses on your breath for approx 1 meter which is why the recommended distance you should keep from other people is 2 meters.

Your body's immune system now mounts a response, trying to clear the virus from your system. This is when you get symptoms such as cough, fever, headache, difficulty breathing etc.  

These are due to your immune response not the virus. For most people these symptoms are fairly mild.

3)     You are now infected, infectious and symptomatic.

The consensus is that this phase lasts 7 days and you will continue to test positive as you are still infected.  Once through this phase….

4)     You remain infected but no longer infectious or symptomatic.

Why so many deaths then? In some people the immune system over-reacts causing a cytokine cascade and you develop bilateral, interstitial pneumonia.

Bottom line - your lungs fill up with fluid and you drown. This is why there is panic about insufficient ICU beds and ventilators.

To explain the quarantine/self-isolation periods:

If you have possibly been exposed but are showing no symptoms then 14 days will allow the virus to run through its course and at the end of 14 days you will no longer be infectious.

If you are showing symptoms or you test positive then 7 days will take you to the end of the infective period.

The purpose of quarantine (self-isolation) is to protect other people from you not vice versa. If it turns out you don't have the virus then you've just had to spend some boring time at home.

So:

• Wash your hands with soap and water
  • Don't touch your face
  • Stay 2 meters away from other people
  • Don't shake hands, and most definitely don't do French style greeting kisses. Namaste is becoming popular.
  • Follow the government advice on self-isolating.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is only intended to shine further light on this menace and no responsibility or liability is accepted for any omissions or inaccuracies!! 

Ref. Point 4. Just read the you should not take Ibuprofen as it reduces immune response.Do we or don't we want response.....?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I personally would have sold all my shares as soon as the virus made it here, but as to what's for the best now, I have no idea, I do not expect a recovery for quite some time, I do expect it will fall a lot more than it has, but I'm not in a position to advise, what does your advisor say? 

That's probably why it's still operating, Helena...Just enough time for The Chums to mop-up shares at knock-down prices, thus setting themselves up to make £ millions, for creating precisely nothing!

Parasites!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

PSA, the car manufacturer, is shutting all production sites in France starting with the one in Mulhouse. (Source: BFMTV live)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
9 minutes ago, kold weather said:

More evidence that the lockdown for the older portion of the population is imminent,

I think this will get massive backlash by the way, to the point where I fully expect some will still go out and the optics of them getting arrested is probably going to spell serious problems for this government. Even though I do think its actually a pretty on point policy that allows the rest of the country to at least attempt to carry on as normal...though realistically, that is a fallacy.

The briefing is this afternoon from the Government, the start of their daily updates. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
51 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Not being funny but when I look at the front page of this website where the forum summary is I keep wondering whether they should change the name to NetFever

Other threads are still available

• Like 6

Posted
12 minutes ago, AWD said:

There is a new Lidl that's popped up on the road from Patchway to Cribbs Causeway, just by the Concorde bunker at Filton Airport. 

Went there the other day and was reletively quiet compared to other supermarkets. 

Been in there once, a little while after it opened. We're not desperate for anything now, but conscious of the loo roll situ deteriorating if we dont get some by next Monday. I know our local Tesco express doesnt stock up overnight. They stock shelves, as and when, and just after delivery arrives, which one of their workers told me yday is normally around midday to 1.00pm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

British soldier infected

A British soldier has been infected with coronavirus and is in hospital in Ostroda, northern Poland, Polish state-run news agency PAP said on Monday, quoting a military spokesman. 

Poland has so far reported 150 cases of coronavirus and three deaths.

Source sky news live blog - https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-uk-to-make-announcement-on-covid-19-measures-today-says-pms-adviser-dominic-cummings-11958164 

• Like 2

Posted

China had a slight uptick compared to previous days, but IMO probably just noise within the grand scale of things, and still a really tiny amount.

However what I really noted is how they still have over 3,000 people who are still in a serious/critical state, and that is despite most cases date from February and maybe the first 5 days of March. Suggests people are taking quite some time to get over it once they do get into a serious state with it. Another lesson the NHS probably needs to learn so they are prepared for it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

People in the village are more worried than i give them credit for, Brownies are tonight and parents are already saying their children aren't going. It's a group of around 20 girls all who would of been at a school with hundreds. My daughter is still going until it gets cancelled or we are told to say in doors. She has already been to a dance competition, a birthday party, and swimming. No cases at time of writing in Bedford still (4 in MK now)

I also received a text about the symptoms,  what to do etc. 'The NHS are extremely well prepared for outbreaks of new infectious diseases' it tells me.

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dami said:

People in the village are more worried than i give them credit for, Brownies are tonight and parents are already saying their children aren't going. It's a group of around 20 girls all who would of been at a school with hundreds. My daughter is still going until it gets cancelled or we are told to say in doors. She has already been to a dance competition, a birthday party, and swimming. No cases at time of writing in Bedford still (4 in MK now)

I also received a text about the symptoms,  what to do etc. 'The NHS are extremely well prepared for outbreaks of new infectious diseases' it tells me.

My two boys BB has been cancelled for the rest of the term. A shame because their parade was in two weeks time and they had been working hard.

Posted

Our old mate Piers in currently trending on Twitter.

IN CAPITALS, OF COURSE.

I suppose it deflects from his Mini Ice Age being late.

PILLOCK!!!!!

Edited by jtay
  • Like 2

Posted

I keep thinking to myself, just what exactly is a virus' end game?

In order to be successful, the virus has to be highly infectious with a low mortality so it doesn't kill the host etc.

In that case, why don't viruses evolve to not kill or harm the host? That way they could spread to everyone and not run out of hosts. I just don't get what the point in them is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

My two boys BB has been cancelled for the rest of the term. A shame because their parade was in two weeks time and they had been working hard.

Apart from school events being 'cancelled' for parents, nothing for us is. So carrying on as normal, apart from we have wipes in the car and hands are washed as soon as we are home. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

On a lighter note

89827753_10157016308013807_426568120249876480_o.thumb.jpg.e56640e5af77b16188007b4f23bc920b.jpg

Source;  My Brother in holland

• Like 5