Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted

Testing for coronavirus is to be extended into Scotland's communities but there will be no routine testing of people with minor symptoms.

The Scottish government said enhanced surveillance testing would provide a more accurate picture of the virus spread.

_111269416_gettyimages-1201781443.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Surveillance testing is extended but there is no routine testing of people with minor symptoms.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

I have no words for how disturbing and extremely concerning this is. As usual, we see very low mortality in the younger demographic. However, the mortality for those older, is frankly terryfying.

In medical terms, to see a CFR (Case Fatality Rate) of 16% in over 80's, is unprecetended in a virus such as this. It is even higher still at 19% for 90 years and older. 9% for 70's bracket is equally as disturbing.

italy.png

Edited by matty007
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, matty007 said:

I have no words for how disturbing and extremely concerning this is. As usual, we see very low mortality in the younger demographic. However, the mortality for those older, is frankly terryfying.

In medical terms, to see a CFR (Case Fatality Rate) of 16% in over 80's, is unprecetended in a virus such as this. It is even higher still at 19% for 90 years and older. 9% for 70's bracket is equally as disturbing.

italy.png

It does seem to back up what the government is saying about over 70s, they are clearly at far higher risk than the rest of the population.

What we don't yet know is how many say 30-60 year olds are being hospitalized with this and how many of those are needing some form of critical care.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow... Summer storms. Anything a bit dangerous.

Don't know if this has been posted already in the thread, it's gotten very big, very quickly, a lot to go through. Currently, as it stands here in the UK, the closed case mortality rate for Covid 19 is 64%.There are 55 closed cases in the UK. 20 recovered/discharged and 35 deaths. Obviously this will change daily as more cases recover. Worldwide the closed case mortality rate is currently at 8%. 84,302 closed cases, 77,778 recovered/discharged, 6,524 deaths. 

worldometers-fb.jpg
WWW.WORLDOMETERS.INFO

Live statistics and coronavirus news tracking the number of confirmed cases, recovered patients, and death toll by country due to the COVID 19...

The site is updated very regularly. I wouldn't like to say how accurate it is or how they collate their info, but for those interested in the statistics as this nightmare unfolds it may be interesting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
19 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Soviet Union 1990

image.thumb.png.dbabeab72c6895b4e794d4930c298f84.png

UK 2020

image.thumb.png.d8cfd166ea017406b9b43450f5e4890a.png

Went to Tesco before work this morning, no problems at all. Probably busier than it would usually be at 7am but shelves were well stocked, if not full.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

It does seem to back up what the government is saying about over 70s, they are clearly at far higher risk than the rest of the population.

What we don't yet know is how many say 30-60 year olds are being hospitalized with this and how many of those are needing some form of critical care.

To put it in to context, the mortality percentage of those over 70 during the Spanish Flu, was 1.9%. Much higher than normal flu, but many orders of magnitude lower than the 16% of this virus. Now, obviosuly, you are judging cases from a small sample size, so it won't be totally accurate, but it is still deeply concerning.

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, D.V.R said:

Just had a woman on BBC news that's recovered from the virus.. Again the evidence shows us that the worst period of the virus is the first three days and you gradually get better after that. 

haha the horrible thing I had over Christmas lasted exactly 3 days for peak symptoms which is why I was surprised when I started rapidly recovering after that. I thought the flu would have me in bed for weeks.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

haha the horrible thing I had over Christmas lasted exactly 3 days for peak symptoms which is why I was surprised when I started rapidly recovering after that. I thought the flu would have me in bed for weeks.

Thankfully, the flu recovers quite qucikly, despite being a cruel mistress when you have it.

I had Swine Flu in 2009. Woke up perfectly fine, but was unable to get up and walk by the afternoon. After two days, I was fighting fit again. That is the only positive to Influenza.

Edited by matty007
  • Like 3

Posted

I was bothered yesterday to see elderly people in my locality not taking this a bit seriously. Just went on a simple trip to the corner shop for some bread. Tried to keep my distance from elderly but they insisted on coming right up close, taking my children on the shoulder, etc. If there's one demographic who are most likely to ignore government advice, is it the elderly? 

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, matty007 said:

Many of the people who have had this, have remarked it as being 'The worst flu imaginable'. If you have a high fever, dry cough, sore throat and particularly shortness of breath, the chances are quite high you have this.

What makes this virus difficult to pinpoint however outside clinical testing, is the fact that many can also have very mild symptoms, comparable to a common cold, and in many, even milder.

There are varying degrees of severity with this virus, but if someone has shortness of breath and high fever, this makes COVID much more likely than common flu, in my opinion

Mine started with a dry cough and then a fever. Woke up the first night absolutely soaked after having weird fever dreams. Then it progressed into shortness of breath. Those were my 3 main symptoms, body pain being the 4th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Most of the worlds airlines could go bankrupt by the end of May without help from the government and industry

https://news.sky.com/story/most-world-airlines-could-be-bankrupt-by-end-of-may-aviation-consultancy-11958150

• Like 1

Posted

I think the biggest problem here is not knowing how many people have had this with little or no symptoms, or battled through and recovered thinking it's the flu.

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, kold weather said:

matty, do you think the NHS has even a chance of coping with this?

Not a chance, I'm afraid. Barring a miraclous relentment of the virus, this will be a major issue for NHS. Of likes they probably haven't seen before.

This is true regardless of if there is lockdowns or not.

Edited by Blessed Weather
Original post edited.
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
19 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Not a chance, I'm afraid. Barring a miraclous relentment of the virus, this will be a major issue for NHS. Of likes they probably haven't seen before.

This is true regardless of if there is lockdowns or not.

Very much agree, but there's a scale issue too. The NHS works well because it's efficient, little spare capacity and a fast turnover of patients. The further above capacity the NHS goes, the higher the mortality rate will become. So while the NHS will inevitably become overwhelmed, we can still reduce the number of deaths by slowing the the spread of the virus and reducing the peak infection levels. Unfortunately, this is an area where the UK appears at odds with all recommendations about how best to slow the spread, like banning of events, social distancing, limiting gatherings, tracking and contact tracing of cases, etc.

• Like 2

Posted

So I'm not an expert but in my head the UK idea makes some sort of sense. Surely it would be better to allow more cases in summer when the NHS has more capacity to deal with it, than try to lock it down and have it explode next winter if we then come out of that lockdown. 

What are Spain, Italy, (and even China etc) going to do when they try to return to anything resembling normal? Surely Spain's lockdown won't really last only 15 days?

Maybe they are just trying to flatten their curve more aggressively to then manage it better over summer, rather than try to actually eradicate the disease, and maybe the UK should be taking more drastic measures to try and flatten our curve to the desired extent.. no doubt it will be overwhelmed whatever happens..

However in my mind maybe there's two choices.. try to slow the outbreak but 'allow' some cases.. or remain on lockdown for most of a year/18 month period until a vaccine is both ready, produced in enough volume and then administered to the majority of the population? (short of something else changing with the disease).

I probably haven't got that completely right because I'm not an epidemiologist.. however I can't see everyone in the UK (or indeed Spain/Italy), complying with not leaving their house except for food/work for that long. and I hope the work you are meant to do in Spain/Italy is just essential work because I'm much more likely to catch it in an office environment (or even self-isolating in a shared house) than out on a countryside walk by myself!

• Like 2

Posted

So I will tell you a little story, make of it as you will. 

Last mid November I went down with a hacking dry cough. I've had coughs before but this was unlike any other I've had, relentless coughing fits to gagging, and the first couple of days a high fever, enough to have to change bed clothes overnight. 

This lasted about a week while off work, by which time I was sleeping on propped pillows to try and reduce the coughing overnight.

After a further week this backed off somewhat and thinking I was getting better. I've had pneumonia before, spent 8 days in hospital with it a few years ago now and knew I was beginning to get signs of it, shortness of breath, pain in ribs and at one point not so nice what was being coughed up. I soldiered on, taking paracetamol, every type of cough medicine, sleeping almost upright as I had done in hospital. A couple of times I thought I had better call 999.

I had two long planned working weeks in Devon in the last week Nov and first Dec, at first really struggled, dragging myself around, pacing what I was doi g due to tight chest and breathing, continuing to sleep upright on propped pillow in the B&B, taking all and anything I could to relieve the symptoms. 

By the second week much improved, the signs of pneumonia gone, and feeling the return of strength but in truth I wasn't really 100% until around Christmas. 

Now I know our patient 0 is supposed to have been around mid Nov in China, but I can't help thinking this has been around longer and that he was perhaps only the first documented case, as has been said before you won't see it unless you are looking for it.

I might be wrong, and certainly treating it as though I have not had it so far, but it does make you wonder. 

As to why I didn't go to the doctors? I was damned determined not to be in hospital, had enough of that last time I was in there with pneumonia. 

• Like 5

Posted
56 minutes ago, matty007 said:

italy.png

Like us, Italy has only been testing severe hospitalised cases. As Nadine Dorries’s mother showed us, even 80+s can have a mild cold-like illness when infected. This is why I hate the fact that no-one is doing community testing. These artificial fatality rates are causing huge anxiety and panic in many.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
32 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Thankfully, the flu recovers quite qucikly, despite being a cruel mistress when you have it.

I had Swine Flu in 2009. Woke up perfectly fine, but was unable to get up and walk by the afternoon. After two days, I was fighting fit again. That is the only positive to Influenza.

Both flu and colds last longer with me, last flu I had I ended up in hospital, been having flu jab since. There must be another virus about that has similar symptoms to Corona, or it's older than we think. 

Late September I got a sore throat, worst one I've ever had, nothing nasel, to early for flu usually, turned into tickle dry cough, turned into tight chest, ended up at the doctors with rapid breathing fast heart rate, though I didn't know that till they took my pulse. Ended up with an ecg, which looked normal just fast, but I did recover. I've had the nuemonia jab, so it was unlikely to be that type of viral nuemonia. May be it's just an ms thing. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Very much agree, but there's a scale issue too. The NHS works well because it's efficient, little spare capacity and a fast turnover of patients. The further above capacity the NHS goes, the higher the mortality rate will become. So while the NHS will inevitably become overwhelmed, we can still reduce the number of deaths by slowing the the spread of the virus and reducing the peak infection levels. Unfortunately, this is an area where the UK appears at odds with all recommendations about how best to slow the spread, like banning of events, social distancing, limiting gatherings, tracking and contact tracing of cases, etc.

Personally, i think the team of scientists advising the UK government have been clear that further measures are all about timing for introduction to here; the timetable is moveable. I hope they are NOT influenced by public opinion, but continue to follow the science they have at their disposal, albeit flexibly adjusting future needs in line with the evidence.

• Like 7

Posted

CE546548-8095-4F7C-9A8D-F3F468EF1874.jpe

This was posted in this thread earlier, and I saw the median age of confirmed cases in Italy was 65.. suggests many milder cases in the younger have been missed (and maybe the elderly too), so a much lower overall fatality rate, though of course some will be yet to die.

I don't remember reactions anything like this over swine flu.. I guess it had a lower death rate especially for the elderly, but it still infected 0.7-1.4 billion people and killed 150,000-575,000. Not saying they are comparable or we shouldn't be reacting like we are, just an observation.

Though I have a feeling some of the elderly may struggle to lock themselves away for months. A few will probably be like 'ah well I'm ill/don't have long left anyway so sod it, I'm going out for my walks'

and if there's a lock-down of the general population, and if it's required for several months/over a year, I expect some of the younger generation will be like 'sod it I'm not having no life for a year over what will basically be a cough for me'

• Like 1