Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

We do have to remember that there are MANY viruses already circulating in the population. For most, their symptoms would be indicative of the common cold, or flu, rather than COVID. Even at this stage, the chances of someone contracting COVID is still fairly low, over the whole population. I have been within arms distance of patients with COVID and could tell the diffrence straight away, but many won't.

At the end of the day however, it's reached the point that it really is irrelevant. Anyone with a sore throat should isolate.

• Like 6

Posted
19 minutes ago, matty007 said:

And this is the case for many, many citizens. I don't want to sound insulting here, but I do get the feeling that many who are calling for total lockdowns are those privileged people with large savings and wealth. To them, it will be quite nice to isolate. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people in this country do not have these privileges. They are people on low or average incomes who have mortgages, rent and living costs to pay. They live week to week/month to month. Unless these people work in vital public services and shops, a lockdown would be economic disaster.

I have many friends who are self-employed and have already noticed a reduction in turnover and profits. A total lockdown would plunge them into despair, and even, homelessness.

People really need to think of the 'many' and not just a few.

Yup, so much this! And also seeing people behave like animals in those supermarket panic buy vids makes me so angry, they already probably have enough at their homes that would last me months without even needing to buy anything extra, they have no idea what it's like to ration food and no idea what actual hunger is like (took me a few weeks to figure out how to survive on a fiver a week so was sometimes going a day or two without food).  It's just Greed on their part, plain and simple.

Oh and incase people want to know how you can live on £5 a week

• £1 loaf of bread : separate it into 7 parts (1 for each day) and freeze 5 days worth (so it doesn't go bad, especially important if you manage to get the stuff on discount so you can save up a bit of change)
  • £2 block of cheese : again cut into 7 chunks so you have a piece for each day
  • £1 pack of 6 tomatoes
  • £1 pack of 3 onions

And there you have my meal plan for the week (which I've basically been living on for the last 6 months, though I was using my Christmas money to buy extras like sliced meat, but that's run out now) and yes, it's boring, but it keeps you going which is the main point.  

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
1 minute ago, lottiekent said:

Alexis, if you need anything urgently please message me as I’m only a short drive from you and am happy to help. Same goes for anyone stuck within reasonable driving distance of Folkestone (Kent)

I’m not rich or anything but that’s what my emergency credit card is for!

What a lovely gesture.

If there is one positive to come from this virus, it will be increased community care. Younger people offering to get shopping etc for the elderly (providing they are not infected) will make a MASSIVE diffrenece to the outcome.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, matty007 said:

I have been within arms distance of patients with COVID and could tell the diffrence straight away, but many won't.

I'm not in any way suggesting we should take this at face value, and rely on your opinion (as thats not fair on you), but out of interest, in what way could you tell the difference? It might help a few as a rough guide.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, matty007 said:

And this is the case for many, many citizens. I don't want to sound insulting here, but I do get the feeling that many who are calling for total lockdowns are those privileged people with large savings and wealth. To them, it will be quite nice to isolate. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people in this country do not have these privileges. They are people on low or average incomes who have mortgages, rent and living costs to pay. They live week to week/month to month. Unless these people work in vital public services and shops, a lockdown would be economic disaster.

I have many friends who are self-employed and have already noticed a reduction in turnover and profits. A total lockdown would plunge them into despair, and even, homelessness.

People really need to think of the 'many' and not just a few.

People will die, but if society comes apart at the seems, the number of complete mental breakdowns and then the inevitable suicides would make the number of deaths from this virus seem tame.

Don't think some understand this. IMO.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, matty007 said:

What a lovely gesture.

If there is one positive to come from this virus, it will be increased community care. Younger people offering to get shopping etc for the elderly (providing they are not infected) will make a MASSIVE diffrenece to the outcome.

Question with your experience with this does it leave patients with sore sides in cases.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, booferking said:

Question with your experience with this does it leave patients with sore sides in cases.

I'm no medical expert but I got pains in both sides around kidney area when I had flu back in Feb 2007 so sore sides may be a sign of that illness rather than COVID

Posted

IMG_20200315_174337.thumb.jpg.831aa7c39233577de1946b51044b15b3.jpg

"Let's be responsible"

Advice on avoiding public gatherings and whatnot, as well as how to reduce the risk of infection.

IMG_20200315_174311.thumb.jpg.bde282c77ebecc209bcecf2df7df2448.jpg

The local pub shut indefinitely.

Most people I see are wearing masks now. I'm hearing that next week folks won't be allowed on public transport or into shops unless their faces are suitably covered (wouldn't want to be working in a bank!). The supermarkets are still surprisingly well-stocked, though people have started raiding the multipack toilet rolls (doesn't bother me, as go for the big individual ones which are still abundant).

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

If anyone is struggling with anxiety or stress over this then join the discord server - we have a support channel where you can talk about things

6b8c377dd199b30bd37b93923762c34f.jpg?siz
DISCORD.GG

Check out the CoronaVirus (COVID-19) community on Discord - hang out with 21,846 other members and enjoy free voice and text chat.

Thanks Paul

Posted
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I'm no medical expert but I got pains in both sides around kidney area when I had flu back in Feb 2007 so sore sides may be a sign of that illness rather than COVID

Could have been the added painkillers i was taking also to get over it to i suspect.

Edited by booferking

Posted

WASHINGTON (AP) — A clinical trial evaluating a vaccine designed to protect against the new coronavirus will begin Monday.

A government official says the first participant in the trial will receive the experimental vaccine that day. The National Institutes of Health is funding the trial that is taking place at a Kaiser Permanente research facility in Washington state.

Edited by Wiltshire_snow_lover

Posted
13 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Now this really is scaremongering, I got caught out by this yesterday. This may be true but the evidence is flimsy and limited so far, I believe, too limited to splash on a front page. 

Are we being softened up for tough measures? 

• Like 4

Posted

Hi all not viewed this thread in 30 hours for me that is a long time! It was getting very consuming...I recommend taking breaks away from COVID-19 talk. Everyone needs to take a step back and breath! 

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

CDC recommendation is no gatherings of 50+ people anywhere in the USA for 8-weeks

We really are so far behind the curve in this country, its starting to feel like sheer incompetence. I'm sure the science suggests it is best according to the model, but its hard for the public to take when every other country out there is taking a fr faster path. Heck even the US which Trump seems to be racing ahead of us now!!!

I think the political pressure is going to be so severe they are going to have to fast track their plans, regardless of whether the virus already is going ahead of their timescale (hard to know without seeing the modelling ourself!) and regardless of whether its the utter optimal time according to their algorithm. 

Edited by kold weather

Posted
5 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I suspect that is the case. You might be interested to read this study.

og_coronavirusbody_1198473034.ngsversion
WWW.NATIONALGEOGRAPHIC.COM

From blood storms to honeycomb lungs, here’s an organ-by-organ look at how COVID-19 harms humans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Now this really is scaremongering, I got caught out by this yesterday. This may be true but the evidence is flimsy and limited so far, I believe, too limited to splash on a front page. 

It is surely too soon to consider the long term health effects of those who survived in the critically ill bracket and probably won’t know for months or even years. 
I don’t know what will be shown on the front pages tomorrow, in fact I wouldn’t be surprised if those in government are 100% sure given how fluid things are. However I think there will be a movement towards how other countries are dealing with this, especially as scientists behind the scenes involved are suggesting that things are moving quicker than expected. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think many people's comments about the economy and mental health are being considered by the UK government and are probably part of the reason why the government has been more reticent about lockdowns than the governments of many other countries, refusing to being sucked into applying knee-jerk reactions which might be beneficial in the short term but backfire in the long term.  There are a lot of factors to consider and there is quite a wide range of possible "right" answers, as there is so much uncertainty over the current situation, let alone the likelihood of a second wave setting in this autumn, and in how quickly we will get a vaccine.

I get a sense that instead of going straight for a lockdown, our government aims to phase one in gradually as we head towards peak numbers of cases.  However, I expect that the government will end up pushing ahead with stronger measures at a faster rate than it had originally planned, as it looks like the situation is escalating faster than their scientific advisers expected.  It's not just the virus itself, it's also the knock-on effects on various outlets, e.g. panic buying and people voluntarily calling off events due to the fear of passing Covid-19 around to the relatively vulnerable and overburdening local health and emergency systems.

Like the USA, the UK is a strongly capitalist society and has created a society where many people can't self-isolate or work from home without incurring heavy costs (though my impression is that the British culture is mostly not quite as bad for this as the US culture), so there will probably need to be some (at least temporary) shake-ups to the terms and conditions of workplaces in order to make relatively extensive lockdowns feasible.  Maybe this is one of the reasons why the government has been reluctant to go straight ahead with strong measures, being keen to prepare us and businesses for them beforehand.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, matty007 said:

Body aches are quite common in this. Probably around 15-20% of people. Whether this occurs laterally, I am not certain, but it is likely.

Fever you mentioned above for 3 days i had a real bad fever had to change my bed sheets twice a day and change my clothes about 4 times a day literally sweat running off every part of my body while shivering having the feeling of being cold had to sit up in bed to breath as found it hard at times all while being bed bound then a dry sore cough that lasted 2 weeks or more the cough was really hard to shake off with added sore sides.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Like the USA, the UK is a strongly capitalist society and has created a society where many people can't self-isolate or work from home without incurring heavy costs (though my impression is that the British culture is mostly not quite as bad for this as the US culture), so there will probably need to be some (at least temporary) shake-ups to the terms and conditions of workplaces in order to make relatively extensive lockdowns feasible.  Maybe this is one of the reasons why the government has been reluctant to go straight ahead with strong measures, being keen to prepare us for them beforehand.

I think the SSP/benefits is a huge part of this, they know full well its not enough for to live on for people who have even a modest lifestyle.

Therefore the government is not doing lockdown too early to reduce people being off work. 

It also explains the school situation, because the SSP/benefits are so useless parents will have to carry on working and expose the grandparents who would likely step in to look after off school kids. So schools need to stay open.

Increase the benefits inline with Irelands increase, then parents could go off work and not worry about the cost issue, and therefore not need to use the grandparents in the first place. Then just have local 'schools' or daycenters where essential workers children can stay. 

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, matty007 said:

And you've just recovered from this?

Does sound rather indicative of Covid, I must say.

That's the strange thing i had this right at the end of the year but i deal with the Chinese as I'm importer.

Edited by booferking
  • Like 1