Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Some more positive news on Corona the McLaren team member in Melbourne, Australia is 'recovering well' and is 'now free of symptoms'

14 team members are still in 14-day self-isolation in Australia 'as a precaution' 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51902264

• Like 7

Posted

Yep, my depression is mounting up and I feel like I'm one step from a panic attack. Full quarantine from tomorrow here, no going out allowed unless you are going to work or shop so I won't be able to go for a run to clear my head. Damn, crazy times we live in.

Edited by daz_4

Posted
5 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Because its not   Breaking News!......

Media can be awful at times.

When so many are very worried seems the media doesn’t know the benefit of good news.  Mind you there are plenty on here who seem only too keen to post the worse case scenario news.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, daz_4 said:

Yep, my depression is mounting up and I feel like I'm one step from a panic attack. Definitely have most of the symptoms someone posted here this morning. Full quarantine from tomorrow here, no going out allowed unless you are going to work or shop so I won't be able to go for a run to clear my head. Damn, crazy times we live in.

Are you living in a flat?

Posted

An interesting read, reporting from a doctor in a hospital.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, Snipper said:

When so many are very worried seems the media doesn’t know the benefit of good news.  Mind you there are plenty on here who seem only too keen to post the worse case scenario news.

Each step of the way, we've been much closer to worst case scenarios than anything else. This is a pandemic that has the potential to kill 100s of thousands in this country alone and destablise basic social functioning - fear is a much more sensible reaction than complacency, and individual good news stories aren't going to change that.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Germany/Bavaria are planning to declare state of emergency.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, swebby said:

80% is probably their top end figure based on what Prof Whitty said the other day.

18 months would be about right, and that is at an average of 100,000 new cases a day!

That would be a hospitalisation rate of 15% of those infected. 

Now, if you strip out the under 30's (about 30% of the population) and over 70's (10%) cos they are all isolated, then you are looking at  8 million of the remaining 30-70 y.o's being hospitialised, assuming an 80% infection rate, that is 1 in 4 people!  If i was a 40 year old school teacher, bus driver etc, i'd not be overly impressed about that!  Now it will not cut as cleanly as that, we have to assume the over 50's are going to be hit badly.

5000 ventilators?

8 million is the total figure of hospitalisations, including all ages. 7 million if you take away over 70s. 2.4 million in serious condition if you take away over 70's. I've included the under 30's, and they are still included in the infection numbers, whereas over 70's wouldnt be (in theory)

Going by your idea of stripping out under 30's and over 70s, the figures I get are actually approx 1.6million 30-70 year olds in serious condition. Its all just worst case random maths, which could mean absolutely nothing, but just thought it worth pointing out.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Spikecollie said:

Not good.

I'm feeling better after a tearful conversation with OH. We have resolved ourselves that if he can't get here next weekend that we will just wait it out until he can.

Still baffled as to what's open and what's shut!

Sorry if I’m not remembering accurately but is he working in the UK?  Would his employers give permission to come home early?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

One unilateral decision I've taken, beyond serious social distancing, is to pretty much stop using Twitter. I think it's by far the worst of the major social media platforms for people who still think this is like normal times and are obsessed with scoring points and spamming hashtags. These are not normal times. They are the most abnormal times (in the UK) since the Second World War. I really am increasingly scared that, if left unchecked, some of the rubbish being put about on Twitter will lead to people dying. I won't give specific details as I don't want to give them publicity, but the scientific solidity of many is well below that of the average Daily Express forecast.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
1 minute ago, lottiekent said:

Sorry if I’m not remembering accurately but is he working in the UK?  Would his employers give permission to come home early?

He's on a consultancy contract so he can leave any time. We needed a bit of top-up money in the UK bank account before we can sell the house

Hopefully, we will be reunited next Sunday.

• Like 6

Posted

The first human trials on vaccines are going to start in April. The first stage will be on a small number of healthy volunteers. Assuming that stage clears it would then move into a larger number of people in the hundreds in countries where coronavirus is still active. Assuming that passes it then moves onto an even larger number of people - probably several thousand.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/when-will-a-coronavirus-vaccine-be-ready-human-trials-global-immunisation

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
2 hours ago, Zak M said:

Ariana Grande on her Instagram story about the coronavirus: "I keep hearing from a surprising amount of statements like "this isn't a big deal" and "we'll be fine"... "we still have to go about our lives" and it's really blowing my mind.

I understand that's how you felt weeks ago. But please don't turn a blind eye.

It is incredibly dangerous and selfish to take this situation that lightly. The "we will be fine because we're young" mindset is putting people who aren't young and/or healthy in a lot of danger. You sound stupid and privileged and you need to care more about others. Like now"

I've encountered these attitudes among some of my thirty-something peers, who have tried to reassure me as well as themselves that as thirty-somethings we are in a low risk group and will probably just get a few days of mild symptoms and carry on as normal.  However, in my case it's not as clear cut as that as I have various allergies including asthma.  The asthma is mostly mild and well-controlled, but while most of the colds that I get give me just mild symptoms for a couple of days, occasionally a heavy cold goes to my chest and causes asthmatic complications.  Thus, while the odds probably favour me getting just mild symptoms from Covid-19, if Covid-19 ends up in the latter category it would probably land me in hospital (and maybe even into death, should the NHS be overburdened and turn me away due to having more critical cases).  I have to say though that an increasingly large majority of my peers are taking this seriously.

I am certainly hoping to hold off on catching it until after there is some sort of seasonal vaccine available.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Donegal said:

What did the report say? 

Grim but I’ve decided to no longer post anything with computer modeling .

I’ve decided the only way to remain sane is to not look too far ahead at what might happen and stick to seeing what transpires day to day .

We’re in danger here of letting the situation overwhelm us even if we avoid the virus !

I expect many people’s stress levels are going up , sleep patterns disturbed etc .

The only way to survive this is to make peace with the situation , a lack of control which we feel over the virus is natural .

All we can do is to take sensible precautions and take each day as it comes and not project forward.

• Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The first human trials on vaccines are going to start in April. The first stage will be on a small number of healthy volunteers. Assuming that stage clears it would then move into a larger number of people in the hundreds in countries where coronavirus is still active. Assuming that passes it then moves onto an even larger number of people - probably several thousand.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/when-will-a-coronavirus-vaccine-be-ready-human-trials-global-immunisation

Where do I sign up

Posted
37 minutes ago, Azazel said:

That leaked Public Health England document has sent me over the edge. Major panic attack.

Utterly terrifying  what on earth has been unleashed on the world???

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Just watched the film The Happening that did not help my anxiety 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

Where do I sign up

I fairly certainly a place in London has already signed people up.

Stage one in mice went 'really well' which has meant they've moved onto monkeys and humans next month.

This will be the quickest vaccine on record from starting research to human trials.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Just watched the film The Happening that did not help my anxiety 

Well, I've just this minute finished Contagion; and I'm not feeling any better, either!

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

BNO Newsroom

@BNODesk

BREAKING: Venezuela's Maduro puts Caracas and 6 states on lockdown due to coronavirus

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Grim but I’ve decided to no longer post anything with computer modeling .

I’ve decided the only way to remain sane is to not look too far ahead at what might happen and stick to seeing what transpires day to day .

We’re in danger here of letting the situation overwhelm us even if we avoid the virus !

I expect many people’s stress levels are going up , sleep patterns disturbed etc .

The only way to survive this is to make peace with the situation , a lack of control which we feel over the virus is natural .

All we can do is to take sensible precautions and take each day as it comes and not project forward.

Yes, that's really good advice, and advice I definitely will try to take to heart. After all, one of the enhanced risk factors for this virus is hypertension, aka high blood pressure. So reading too many terrifying news stories about this could actually make you less able to fight the disease if you do get it!

Plus of course we all need to try to sleep as well as possible. Sleep is a very powerful aid to health.

• Like 2