Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
1 minute ago, jimben said:

Hearing from a health care professional on the frontline "that lemon is beginning to hit the fan" and will unravel very very quickly 

1 minute ago, Spikecollie said:

Never seen a lemon hit a fan but assume you meant poo before the babysitter intervened!

Yes and should also have read that services will unravel very quickly .... she is dead on her feet ... on call until very late and receiving calls throughout .... very stressed

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Eat plenty of fish and eggs and some cereals all have good amounts of vitamin D in I think 

Do we fortify flour and bread in the UK?  Think they do in some countries.

Fish preferably needs to be oily fish - salmon, mackerel etc.

Cod liver oil tabs are an obvious supplement to take.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

"Despite nationwide restrictions that include closing restaurants, cafes, cinemas and nightclubs, France is pressing on with local elections.

Measures to stop infections are in place at polling stations, with election officials wearing gloves and bottles of hand sanitiser placed at entrances.

Turnout currently stands at about 18%, down from 23% in 2014's vote.

French President Emmanuel Macron said the vote was needed to "ensure the continuity of our democratic life"." (Source: BBC live)

Our democratic life - what about just our lives. Stupid, stupid thinking...

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, jimben said:

Hearing from a health care professional on the frontline "that lemon is beginning to hit the fan" and will unravel very very quickly 

Wouldn't be all that surprising, this should be when the first of the Cheltenham/Madrid exposure people will be getting more seriously ill, on top of the other sporting events from the previous weekend.

Posted

Interesting reading a Portsmouth based Coronavirus Facebook group, where I live - obviously this is not in any way official but all sorts of people claiming to have all the symptoms, even suggesting there's a restaurant where the entire staff have all got the symptoms - and this in a city that's officially only got one case. Not to be taken as gospel but might indicate what some of us suspect, that the virus is already pretty widespread. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

"Les conducteurs de bus et tram de Transports Bordeaux Métropole (TBM) ont exercé leur droit de retrait ce dimanche après une suspicion de cas chez l'un d'entre eux. Selon le réseau de transports, les tramways ne circulent plus et les réseau bus est fortement perturbé." (Source: BFTMTV live)

I mentioned this early on here. Serious transport problems as bus and tram drivers exercise their right to withdraw from work in Bordeaux due to a case among them.

I would expect there to be issues in the Uk if the government insist on keeping transport and schools open.  I think a common sense approach with those working in transport, education and child care etc should be taken.  Something along the lines of anyone over 50 and/or having certain health conditions should be allowed to take leave.  Transport can probaly be run on a reduced network basis if people working form home.  Keeping schools open may be problematic.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Difficult for believers, a source of solace taken away:

964b2717-b6c2-46bb-8236-6d21be8aef0c.jpg

(Source: BBC live)

Well, a church is just a gathering place to worship, you can pray to god anywhere you like

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Stock piling......

image.thumb.png.b372c6f1ebdb079bcc29231684b60341.png

• Like 8

Posted

So, does anyone know whether there has been any international verification of China's claim that they are winning the battle?

There's no foreign press reports I can find, and I think it's a bit too soon for them to be shutting temporary hospitals (unless shutting means moth balling?) and all this celebrating they're doing.....they've won a battle (possibly) not a war.

I'm sure the minute they open up the cities again, it'll be an upward swoop of infections again until there is a vaccine.

Also, all that celebrating is in very bad taste considering the state of the rest of the world atm.

• Like 2

Posted

On the beeb from Mr Hancocks interview

He said car manufacturers, weapon makers and army suppliers would be asked to change their production lines to make ventilators for use in hospitals treating coronavirus - which can cause severe breathing problems.

Only 5,000 medical ventilators in the UK.

I think some of our Government members are about to encounter a harsh lesson in JiT supply chains bumping up against border controls? 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
1 minute ago, cyclonic happiness said:

So, does anyone know whether there has been any international verification of China's claim that they are winning the battle?

There's no foreign press reports I can find, and I think it's a bit too soon for them to be shutting temporary hospitals (unless shutting means moth balling?) and all this celebrating they're doing.....they've won a battle (possibly) not a war.

I'm sure the minute they open up the cities again, it'll be an upward swoop of infections again until there is a vaccine.

Also, all that celebrating is in very bad taste considering the state of the rest of the world atm.

I expect them to slowly loosen the restrictions and tighten them in other places keeping the spread a slow pace. I suspect the people will only be allowed to travel if they are tested to be clear. Since they will be immune they won't infect anyone new. Presuming they can't still carry it that is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
masks2.jpg
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Hospital staff in the Chinese city where the coronavirus originated removed their masks ceremoniously as the country’s last emergency hospital, built to handle the crisis, was closed. In a video that

Social distancing is critical so getting this contained 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:
masks2.jpg
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Hospital staff in the Chinese city where the coronavirus originated removed their masks ceremoniously as the country’s last emergency hospital, built to handle the crisis, was closed. In a video that

Social distancing is critical so getting this contained 

So why do none of those pretty nursing staff in the video not have the bruises and welts on their faces that all the Italian and Spanish medical staff have......

Just asking like....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 6

Posted
58 minutes ago, swebby said:

If that is true, that is very reassuring for many.  The caveat i'll tag on that is - that it appears that it is on average, 5-7 days after initial symptoms appear that pneumonia issues manifest. It is still probably 2-3 days before Mrs Dorries mother will be comfortably in the clear, but good signs thus far.

I think the thing that is spooking me a bit about this virus is it almost seems utterly random. People with health issues only getting mild symptoms and young healthy people ending up intubated.

i wonder if there’s an underlying factor this virus preys on which we haven’t identified yet.

Edited by Azazel
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Spain have had around 2000 new cases and 100 new deaths in the last 24 hours

The increase in cases though in Spain is slowing

Last 48 hours it's 21% and 22% respectively the previous 6 days were 66%, 38%, 33%, 37%, 83% & 57%.

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, The PIT said:

I expect them to slowly loosen the restrictions and tighten them in other places keeping the spread a slow pace. I suspect the people will only be allowed to travel if they are tested to be clear. Since they will be immune they won't infect anyone new. Presuming they can't still carry it that is.

Yes I agree, a slow opening up, if cases start to take off in any meaningful way they will shut it right down again. I suspect they will tolerate a low level undercurrent providing it doesn't start to badly impact the health services.

Not many countries will get away that sort of policy long term, but China is probably one of them

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

Yes, i'm now also very concerned for Switzerland, they have a similar trend to what happened in Spain about 8 days ago.

Spain also has also recorded 91 deaths so far, so their death rate is starting to mount up.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
38 minutes ago, Nick L said:

100,000,000 million? 100,000,000,000,000? Blimey.

Dammit you beat me to it  XD

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I think the thing that is spooking me a bit about this virus is it almost seems utterly random. People with health issues only getting mild symptoms and young healthy people ending up intubated.

i wonder if there’s an underlying factor this virus preys on which we haven’t identified yet.

Generally speaking it doesn't seem at all random to me?

Posted
1 minute ago, Relativistic said:

Generally speaking it doesn't seem at all random to me?

I’ll have to fact check but I’m sure I read earlier in this thread the French health science boffin guy reported that over half of those in hospital are below 60 with no health issues.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The increase in cases though in Spain is slowing

Last 48 hours it's 21% and 22% respectively the previous 6 days were 66%, 38%, 33%, 37%, 83% & 57%.

We've yet to see what happens in a country that does not try to contain the virus at the same stage. Will the curve slow in the same way or continue to soar? 

Of course we don't know the background to the reporting so can't draw conclusions atm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

I’ll have to fact check but I’m sure I read earlier in this thread the French health science boffin guy reported that over half of those in hospital are below 60 with no health issues.

That's rather surprising if true.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
21 minutes ago, swebby said:

I think some of our Government members are about to encounter a harsh lesson in JiT supply chains bumping up against border controls? 

It’s hardly a surprise to see people worrying, not perhaps for themselves but others they know who would fit into the higher risk categories.

It is all very well saying we may take the herd immunity route but we don’t look at all prepared if many in the lower age categories fall seriously ill.

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, swebby said:

think a lot of people are having a lesson.  But telling everyone possibly it won’t help.