Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Does anyone know if the staying at home for the over 70' will be an advisory thing or

a strict law ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
33 minutes ago, pip22 said:

Sky News

@SkyNews·14m

Coronavirus: UK in 'far worse' position than most of Europe on key equipment

Now that we know, question is what are they doing about it, hopefully everything they can. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Seeing this all over again just warms my heart ❤️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
Just now, alexisj9 said:

Now that we know, question is what are they doing about it, hopefully everything they can. 

The time has passed. N95 masks are preety much impossible to obtain, as oxygen will be.

The time for preperation has long gone. Hopefully they will learn from this and make sure to stockpile for a virus of this nature in the future.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
9 minutes ago, Dreckly said:

I have two dogs and a cat to snuggle.

My snuggle partners

20161031_105254749_iOS.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
1 minute ago, Beverley Lass said:

Does anyone know if the staying at home for the over 70' will be an advisory thing or

a strict law ?

Doesn't really matter as they won't have the police numbers to enforce it. The army could be called up including reservists to assist but you'll also need equipment to stop them getting sick.

Posted
4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

You think thats bad, wait for this cracker:

Switzerland up +842, now 2217 UP from 1375...thats a solid 35-40% roughly! I've been saying for a couple of days to watch them, they are going to blow up just like Italy and Spain I suspect...

That's a lot for Switzerland. Didn't they stop the testing for people with symptoms who do not require medical care?

Posted
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

You think thats bad, wait for this cracker:

Switzerland up +842, now 2217 UP from 1375...thats a solid 35-40% roughly! I've been saying for a couple of days to watch them, they are going to blow up just like Italy and Spain I suspect...

Wow, that is shocking.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

a strict law ?

I imagine a law, the herd immunity thing is only going to work if you keep the health system from collapsing. Over 70's out and about and becoming ill in significant numbers will do just that.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
34 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Great news and again proves that the vast majority recover quickly ie within a week.

The way some folk are stock piling you'd think they were going to be locked down for months on end

She passed it onto her mother who is in her 80s has a pacemaker has breathlessness and smoked all her life and she had much milder symptoms than Nadine ?‍♂️

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Wow, that is shocking.

Yes, I'm not too bothered about the absolute numbers, but the jump in percentage has been a strong indicator that things are about to lift off.

Both Spain and Italy had a lurch to the left of their previous extrapolated means. I'm suspecting Switzerland has just done the same thing.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
7 minutes ago, matty007 said:

The time has passed. N95 masks are preety much impossible to obtain, as oxygen will be.

The time for preperation has long gone. Hopefully they will learn from this and make sure to stockpile for a virus of this nature in the future.

In that case the government needs to change its tact, although its probably also far to late for that. 

Posted
33 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Breaking: The Foreign Office have advised against “all but essential travel” to the US after President Trump introduced a travel ban on the UK

Hmm....did they think people were going to swim the Atlantic?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

I was thinking today, I know a few people who are germaphobes and it can be mentally draining and tiresome.

What's happening now is people are suffering with coronaphobia.

I'm not discounting the concerns, but all the hype stirred up by the media has not only made us fearful.. it has also bought out this selfish/self-importance attitude resulting in people to panic buy and not thinking about our one another.

I found this piece about phobias and thought I'd share it on here.

Symptoms of Corona phobia panic attack

sweating

trembling

hot flushes or chills

shortness of breath or difficulty breathing

a choking sensation

rapid heartbeat (tachycardia)

pain or tightness in the chest

a sensation of butterflies in the stomach

nausea

headaches and dizziness.

These are common panic attack symptoms. If you are experiencing any of these it is good to do some breathing exercises. While most phobias are curable, there is no single treatment available for all of them, or guaranteed to work. It strongly depends on the person suffering and severity in which that person is experiencing Coronophobia. There are cases that a combination of treatments might be more effective.

suits-ebola-sold.si_.jpg
FEAROF.ORG

Coronavirus or as it is known scientifically COVID-19 has put a lot of cities in lockdown around the world. Coronaviruses (CoV) are part of a vast category of other...

• Like 2

Posted
36 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

You cannot even do that successfully with a virus spread while asymptomatic and especially, one that can survive on surfaces for a considerable time. This was seen in action in Washington state: genetic tracing proves patient #1 led to the cascade being witnessed now.

To be quite clear, the purpose of my OP on this particular topic was to report a policy change as it relates to Scotland, without speculation, posting fake news or expressing an uninformed opinion on the value of contact tracing or otherwise. I did not suggest it was a panacea.

As it happens, however, I do think it is useful as a surveillance tool, identifying asymptomatic cases, the degree of community spread and ‘hotspots’. In addition, it can be helpful in identifying cases in which early supportive treatment is of benefit.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Boro Snow said:

She passed it onto her mother who is in her 80s has a pacemaker has breathlessness and smoked all her life and she had much milder symptoms than Nadine ?‍♂️

If that is true, that is very reassuring for many.  The caveat i'll tag on that is - that it appears that it is on average, 5-7 days after initial symptoms appear that pneumonia issues manifest. It is still probably 2-3 days before Mrs Dorries mother will be comfortably in the clear, but good signs thus far.

• Like 4

Posted

So basically then my parents and my wife’s parents who are all 70+ and very active in the communities locally will possibly be outlawed from being the very people they love to be!?

They along with countless others!?

Surely that will result in numerous other problems through isolation and inactivity!?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
20 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

a strict law ?

Maybe wait for official announcement. This is from ScotGov, theie meeting is Monday pm. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Andy Bown said:

So basically then my parents and my wife’s parents who are all 70+ and very active in the communities locally will possibly be outlawed from being the very people they love to be!?

Surely that will result in numerous other problems through isolation and inactivity!?

There is going to have to be a price paid.

If you go the herd immunity route (which I think is the best way) then if you don't isolate the elderly, you will see many elderly cases, quite a few deaths, and a lot of strain on the NHS. Isolating the elderly ensures that they are at lower risk of contracting the virus from younger people, while also ensuring those younger people obtain immunity over time.

In my opinion, it is the best way. Either way, there is going to be sacrifices. The choice is how severe, for how long, and what severity of consequences.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

As we found over the past election folk can run into mental issues if they stay up close and personal to multiple media outlets for too long a time when they are heavily invested in the issues ?

Folk might find it to their benefit to take a few hours/days away from media every so often when it's all getting too much for them?

Don't run the risk of letting the stresses of this unfolding crisis lead you into poor mental health!

We're all here to talk to/pm if we have worries?

I'm sure all of us will help where we can!

Be Well folks!

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

Maybe wait for official announcement. This is from ScotGov, theie meeting is Monday pm. 

That's odd

Every Briton over the age of 70 will be told "within the coming weeks" to stay at home for an extended period to shield them from coronavirus, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51895873

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
4 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

"possibly be outlawed"  This is the problem with a whispered leak to Peston and not proper weekday announcement with questions and explanations. 

The impacts of isolation, loneliness and inactivity will be huge and quite sadly hidden. So clarity is needed of what is being said.

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

One hand is doing one thing, the other is doing something different. If you are going to try and lockdown the elderly, you need to do it properly. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Beverley Lass said:

That was my first thought, aren't the infected or likely infected meant to be kept away from the GP surgeries.
Wonder if they can set up an isolated room for such testing ?

My mother went to see the nurse about her lung problem (they think she has COPD and needs to go the hospital for tests to confirm but that's all up in the air right now because of the coronavirus), and they were having anyone coming in to see about lung/cough problems use the side door and into an unused room to wait, they were also being ticked off on a clipboard when they arrived, rather than using the touch screen in the main waiting area, and the nurse was wearing a mask.  So at least some doc surgeries are already being careful.

• Like 3