Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
3 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Remember all of this and we can co-write a very good horror novel because that's what it sounds like. I hope you have your essential supplies. Just stay away from the maniacs because people will turn nasty when they feel as threatened as they do.

With a little bit of humour I hope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
1 minute ago, Spikecollie said:

Remember all of this and we can co-write a very good horror novel because that's what it sounds like. I hope you have your essential supplies. Just stay away from the maniacs because people will turn nasty when they feel as threatened as they do.

I'm not stock piling.  I haven't got the money or space too nor do I see it has necessary anyway.  In the worst affected parts of Italy and Spain, they still manage to distribute food supplies around. 

Whilst things will no doubt get worse for the UK, I don't envisage no food or water and people dying of starvation.  I have, however, got some basic medical supplies in as I don't know when I may start needing them. 

Plus, I could do with eating a bit less anyway.  Life as a train driver does wonders with the belly. 

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

"Debate is raging in France about what is the better model for tackling Covid-19: the Chinese with their radical system of confinement for limiting the spread; or the UK with their “herd immunity” approach, according to which infection of a majority is inevitable – and even, if properly handled, to be welcomed.

Up until a couple of days ago, it seemed France leaned more to the “herd” philosophy. Like in Britain, the official view favoured a controlled propagation - buying time so that the wave of infections is drawn out over a long period, and hospitals are not overwhelmed.

But now suddenly, there is a shift in the other direction. First schools, then cafés, restaurants and allnon-essential shops are to be closed. It seems the government now thinks Chinese- and Italian-style draconianism is more appropriate - except when it comes to the municipal elections, which are going ahead as planned.

If it all feels a little improvised, that is perhaps excusable. We have after all never seen anything like this before." (Source: BBC live)

Are we ahead of the game or what?

We are no different to our leaders. “ what if what if?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
4 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Perhaps the doctors are going to put their holiday tents .  Just hope they don’t go back packing and the tents are so low  you  have to crawl into them.

We have a "Peapod" for emergency camping. We have fitted two people and a dog inside in a storm! Wouldn't fancy a clinical consultation in it though as you do have to crawl...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Gael_Force said:

I'm sure I read, early on, testing would stop when community spread was confirmed and pandemic declared. In other words, testing is only effective in the early stage when identification and isolation might mean something. Beyond that, people with symptoms are then just assumed to have the disease and will be added to statistics for later analysis of CFR.

Cthe only problem I have with that, is simply, they don't want people to contact 111 with symptoms until they've already had them for 7days,or call 999for emergency. Most mild cases according to some we've seen in the news do not last that long. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

This virus is just one step ahead at all times. We are going to just have to fall on our swords with this one I’m afraid. This means going as far as to assume everyone has it. It’s past the point of no return now. Either a full lockdown and let it burn out over a month, or carry on as normal is the binary choice. We had our time to stop all flights from China when to our knowledge, it was only there. We failed in spectacular fashion. This experience we will now learn from. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, AWD said:

I'm not stock piling.  I haven't got the money or space too nor do I see it has necessary anyway.  In the worst affected parts of Italy and Spain, they still manage to distribute food supplies around. 

Whilst things will no doubt get worse for the UK, I don't envisage no food or water and people dying of starvation.  I have, however, got some basic medical supplies in as I don't know when I may start needing them. 

Plus, I could do with eating a bit less anyway.  Life as a train driver does wonders with the belly. 

Hello Kasey Jones.  Be more careful this time. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Azores Hi said:

I visited my mum and my grandmother in law yesterday. 
My mum mentioned her hay fever has kicked in and I have woken up this morning with itchy eyes and caught myself rubbing them.

it occurred to me then that hay fever symptoms will probably increase the spread of Covid-19 simply because of all those itchy eyes, runny noses and sneezing. That’s not helpful! 

My hay-fever started weeks ago now, however I can tell the difference between that and a cold or cough, I'm hoping most people can. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
16 minutes ago, Snipper said:

They can’t all snuggle up to their dog.

I can though! Self isolation would be made so much easier for people if they had a canine/feline to snuggle up to. Likewise when/if you are sick.

Think I'm joking: 

_110810704_p082m4sk.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The robot is used as part of a live animal therapy treatment to help encourage emotional attachment.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

I think basically, it goes against people's natural response. They believe that shutting yourself away will make everything go away and they won't become infected. People have also been brainwashed into thinking that it is a deadly virus and they're all going to die. In many respects, the fear is worse than the virus itself.

Nobody WANTS the virus, but it upon us. Locking everything will only greatly damage the country and delay the inevitable, which is herd immunity.

• Like 2

Posted

Bearing in mind how difficult it is to keep updated on this thread imagine what a nightmare for those in control have. Multiple and conflicting information bombarding you the whole time but you are still suppose to tell Jo Public the absolute right answer.  Impossible

Edited by Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Sky News

@SkyNews·14m

Coronavirus: UK in 'far worse' position than most of Europe on key equipment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold snowy winters, thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

This virus is just one step ahead at all times. We are going to just have to fall on our swords with this one I’m afraid. This means going as far as to assume everyone has it. It’s past the point of no return now. Either a full lockdown and let it burn out over a month, or carry on as normal is the binary choice. We had our time to stop all flights from China when to our knowledge, it was only there. We failed in spectacular fashion. This experience we will now learn from. 

We are just lucky this has not a severe mortality rate like ebola or we would have been done for. Useless planning ahead was the failure here. 

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Give it a rest,you sound like a writer from one of the tabloids,and the whole world is going to end etc..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
3 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Give it a rest,you sound like a writer from one of the tabloids,and the whole world is going to end etc..

What’s your solution then? Enlighten me. 

Tell that to the people of Italy, Iran and China then.. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
24 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Great news and again proves that the vast majority recover quickly ie within a week.

The way some folk are stock piling you'd think they were going to be locked down for months on end

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

I know people keep saying a total lockdown wouldn’t work because once you lift the lockdown the virus  will just spread again but will it?

if everyone was locked down, the people with the virus would either recover or pass away. It wouldn’t be able to spread beyond your house if you were locked down. It would eventually die out.

I think it's to try to save as many people in the short term, in the longer term we'll hopefully have an anti virus, but this is the most dangerous time

Posted
8 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

What’s your solution then? Enlighten me. 

Tell that to the people of Italy, Iran and China then.. 

What the world population is going to end ? Try and think rationally.

What is the actual mortality rate percentage wise of this virus?maybe you can enlighten everyone on that instead of making the situation sound even worse than it already is.

Need to stay calm and stop thinking the worst case scenario is going to happen,ok ?

Edited by SLEETY

Posted
9 minutes ago, The4Seasons said:

We are just lucky this has not a severe mortality rate like ebola or we would have been done for. Useless planning ahead was the failure here. 

Thankfully, viruses like Ebola will never be able to spread this widely and quickly. For that, we must be thankful. In terms of aysmpotamic viruses, this is about the worst you would hope for.

Covid 19 infecting say 10 million with a 1% CFR is much worse than Ebloa infecting 500 with a 66% CFR.

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Testing and contact tracing go hand in hand. If you have a very small number of cases in the UK, and isolate one case, you can test that case, and then find out who they have been in contact with.  You then repeat until you have isolated the spread. Once you have countless cases, how is this possible? So you test 400 people, in four days, there will be another 800. It's like running after a bullet train with no shoes.

You cannot even do that successfully with a virus spread while asymptomatic and especially, one that can survive on surfaces for a considerable time. This was seen in action in Washington state: genetic tracing proves patient #1 led to the cascade being witnessed now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Breaking: The Foreign Office have advised against “all but essential travel” to the US after President Trump introduced a travel ban on the UK

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

For me a lock down is too simply allow the health services to catch up you can then release the lock down slowly and the flow to health services is kept at a manageable level while people who don't need to hospitalised recovery and have a immunity.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

You cannot even do that successfully with a virus spread while asymptomatic and especially, one that can survive on surfaces for a considerable time. This was seen in action in Washington state: genetic tracing proves patient #1 led to the cascade being witnessed now.

Absolutely.

• Like 1