Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
17 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

NHS is doing well from what my friend told me.  He did say check back in two weeks. And that's from a London Trauma hospital.

Maybe our systems are used to being overworked and stressed?

Meanwhilst another day travelling in London,  another day of filthy people sneezing and coughing without covering.  Probably the same tools who stockpile bog role.

To be fair, its not really that much of a push yet in terms of numbers, I suspect as we get more and more cases and more become serious and critical, you'll start to see the NHS come under more severe pressure and the cracks start to show.

If it struggles in a normal flu season, its going to have a torrid time with this.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Once this is over I just hope that some increased effort will be made to combat the threat to the much much larger numbers of lives which are being lost around the world due to all the other avoidable killers we will still be facing.

• Like 1

Posted

Look at Trump and that USA cap. 

Christ man, be a statesman for once in your life instead of making out you are fighting "the foreign disease" and everyone outside the US is to blame for this.

Aren't you suppose to be the leader of the free world?

200314-trump-mn-1653_33d7626395090807b4a

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

Once this is over I just hope that some increased effort will be made to combat the threat to the much much larger numbers of lives which are being lost around the world due to all the other avoidable killers we will still be facing.

I hope once we have all this money poured into the NHS, we don't just downsize again and we actually keep it funded at the level it should be. A properly funded NHS will have a better shot at withstanding any future shocks. Hopefully we won't have to struggle through flu seasons every year.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Good news to see Trump tested negative and will be fighting fit to lead the US in their battle againt coronavirus.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
35 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

NHS is doing well from what my friend told me.  He did say check back in two weeks. And that's from a London Trauma hospital.

Maybe our systems are used to being overworked and stressed?

Meanwhilst another day travelling in London,  another day of filthy people sneezing and coughing without covering.  Probably the same tools who stockpile bog role.

With all due respect, this outbreak has barely even started in the UK. Late April into May is when it will really hit us, and hits hard.

Let me be totally honest and transparent when I say that our NHS is VERY unprepared and under equipped for this.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

The number of world-wide fatalities from this virus will be very serious - of that there's no doubt.  But by the time the virus is brought under control, maybe even before that, there could be many other significant knock-on effects which may change our lives forever.  How many businesses even now are being threatened with financial ruin?

It already seems that many airlines, even national carriers, are at risk of going bankrupt - we already lost FlyBe.  Cruise ship owners are having to refund thousands of cancelled tickets, and the same will go for hotel chains, theme parks, sports clubs etc etc.   Even airports rely on the income from international travel and they will all feel the pinch.  The government can't possibly bail them all out so our leisure industry may well look very different in a year from now.

Will we all start to take more holidays at home?

There must be thousands of people whose livelihood relies on all these businesses too - caterers, cleaners, builders, engineering companies, brokers, the list is endless.

i'm not sure we will ever be able to return to 'normal' as we think of it today.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I hope once we have all this money poured into the NHS, we don't just downsize again and we actually keep it funded at the level it should be. A properly funded NHS will have a better shot at withstanding any future shocks. Hopefully we won't have to struggle through flu seasons every year.

Yes.

However, what is largely overlooked is the funding into viruses as a whole. During SARS, there was a lot of money being provided for developing a SARS vaccine. Of course, once the virus lost grip, the interest wained and they stopped funding. Now, I won't say with 100% confidence that a SARS vaccine would be effective against this, however, there is a reasonably good chance that it would be. If not fully, then at least, partly. If we had this vaccine, it would have made a MASSIVE difference in how this will play out.

What also can't be excused is the shameful lack of N95 respirators for nurses. This virus has barely got near its peak, and yet, we are already massively short on these N95 masks. These masks are absolutely vital in reducing spread to nurses, and of course, the general population. The use of N95 masks can reduce infection by over 80%, so they are absolutely as important as oxygen and antibiotics for secondary infection, maybe even more so. If nurses aren't supplied with them, then what happens when high numbers of these nurses are infected and unable to treat? Yes, the proverbial hits the fan. What's worse is not only do you have a massive strain on the economy from the virus itself but masks that usually cost peanuts in comparison, now cost infinitely more.

There is a massive underfunding in viral research and preparation, and hopefully, this will change that. The approach has been largely comparable to a hospital buying an ambulance every time there's an emergency, rather than stocking them before to be ready. Vaccine development and buying masks are but a tiny fraction of money in comparison to national defense etc.

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, matty007 said:

With all due respect, this outbreak has barely even started in the UK. Late April into May is when it will really hit us, and hits hard.

Let me be totally honest and transparent when I say that our NHS is VERY unprepared and under equipped for this.

That's one reason why I personally I thought a lock down was the more sensible policy at this time - give the NHS time to get itself in order and push the outbreak later in the year (if no cure had been found). 

*Worth pointing out - a broken NHS will mean more deaths from other causes due to lack of resources - so people will be less safe in general, not just from COVID-19. 

Interesting read on death rates from overnight posts. Surely the only way to really know the death rate is random sampling of some sort. One big problem with the hysteria is we are comparing confirmed cases to the death rate. But if confirmed cases are just 10% of the total of all actual cases, that would change things quite a bit. I think it would be wise from a media point of view to get this information out. Can't be too costly. 

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, John88B said:

Good news to see Trump tested negative and will be fighting fit to lead the US in their battle againt coronavirus.

Is the American cavalry coming over the hill to save us all? Who will play Trump in the movie they are already casting for?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

One of the reasons touted for this strategy is behavioural fatigue. Or put it bluntly the public would grow tired and frustrated if put under lockdown for a long period of time or multiple times.

however how good would compliance be to a lockdown, if it is being forced on us due to this plan failing and the health service being overwhelmed? I don’t think this has really been taken into account in my opinion.

• Like 2

Posted

Not sure of the approach of other things kill people so why bother with covid 19 !

Indeed if that’s the case there are a host of other diseases which could be added to the list . I mean why bother .

The current fatality rates are only low if health systems aren’t overwhelmed , if left to just run riot you’ll also put at risk those in hospital without the virus who will be impacted by a collapsing system .

I expect if the virus was effecting only young people we’d see a quite different attitude from some  , especially if that was younger children .

The media will of course put out some over the top headlines , what’s new . They should act more responsibly but that doesn’t change the need to get on top of this virus .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

One of the reasons touted for this strategy is behavioural fatigue. Or put it bluntly the public would grow tired and frustrated if put under lockdown for a long period of time or multiple times.

however how good would compliance be to a lockdown, if it is being forced on us due to this plan failing and the health service being overwhelmed? I don’t think this has really been taken into account in my opinion.

Sure it's an unknown. I think there's a contrasting risk though - if the public lose confidence with the government in a few weeks time due to general disillusionment, will it be even harder to impose the tougher sanctions at that point? 

• Like 1

Posted

Over half the patients in intensive care in the Netherlands are under 50 .

Younger people aren’t immune from severe illness. And we’ve seen reports from other countries  which show permanent damage to the lungs in  some cases .

Covid 19 does things to the body that flu doesn’t , the severity of the illness in those who end up hospitalized is much worse than in flu.

That was confirmed by the U.K. CMO and others advising governments around the world .

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

The number of world-wide fatalities from this virus will be very serious - of that there's no doubt.  But by the time the virus is brought under control, maybe even before that, there could be many other significant knock-on effects which may change our lives forever.  How many businesses even now are being threatened with financial ruin?

It already seems that many airlines, even national carriers, are at risk of going bankrupt - we already lost FlyBe.  Cruise ship owners are having to refund thousands of cancelled tickets, and the same will go for hotel chains, theme parks, sports clubs etc etc.   Even airports rely on the income from international travel and they will all feel the pinch.  The government can't possibly bail them all out so our leisure industry may well look very different in a year from now.

Will we all start to take more holidays at home?

There must be thousands of people whose livelihood relies on all these businesses too - caterers, cleaners, builders, engineering companies, brokers, the list is endless.

i'm not sure we will ever be able to return to 'normal' as we think of it today.

I run a few holiday cottages in Wales. we have 2 issues, everyone is cancelling as too scared to travel, my cleaners are quiting as the virus stays on surfaces for days, we are currently closing down everything for a few months, I have not idea if the business will survive. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

contains some useful info

WWW.CORNWALLLIVE.COM

There are now a total of 1140 confirmed Covid-19 cases across the UK

Posted
2 minutes ago, matty007 said:

The time to stop this virus through isolation and lockdown was when the virus first came to the UK. And I mean the same day. But even then, without symptoms, how do you know who is infected? Once those people are allowed to roam, all bets are off. China should have shut down Wuhan the moment the virus was discovered, and they should have stopped all flights from China. The virus would never have become a pandemic. That was the only time, and it's long gone.

In what will be an ongoing hindsight blame game the WHO should have recommended no travel from China at the outset. Very easy to say that now. In any event it might have escaped anyway.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

A lot of NHS hospitals/trusts put restrictions on visitors yesterday. Both me and my wife work in care homes and both care homes have basically gone to lockdown with no non-essential visitors and strict rules for visitors who do have to come in. Maybe it's coincidence but it feels as if it's been a co-ordinated move across the NHS.

This is a very good move.

If you look at most of the cases in the US, they are largely happening in care homes etc. Given that the virus is most virelent in the elderly, we must contain them

• Like 5

Posted

Can we name the people stockpiling without thinking of others,you utter peices of nothing.

Should name and shame them if they carry on with this despicable behaviour.

So much for everyone sticking together in a time of crisis.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Can we name the people stockpiling without thinking of others,you utter peices of nothing.

Should name and shame them if they carry on with this despicable behaviour.

So much for everyone sticking together in a time of crisis.

It angers me greatly, also. It's good to see supermarkets limiting the amount people can buy, but it's still not enough. Should be a cap of 2, not 4 or 5. Stockpiling will do nothing but cause shortages, which will increase prices. All they're doing is prehibiting the elderly and less wealthy from buying essential items.

We will never get to the extent where vital stores are closed, not with this virus, not even with a 1918 repeat. If this happened, the country would go to ruins. People have to work, and vital shops have to stay open. And they will.

What worries me most is small buisnesses, and the self employed. When this really ramps up, I fear for their wellbeing.

• Like 5

Posted

It seems that in the vast majority of cases you can’t transmit the virus until you start showing symptoms .

This would be positive news.  I’m not sure why this hasn’t been explained more clearly to the public .

You can find that in the U.K. government report on Covid 19. 

Its titled: Guidance for infection , prevention and control in healthcare settings .

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, matty007 said:

It angers me greatly, also. It's good to see supermarkets limiting the amount people can buy, but it's still not enough. Should be a cap of 2, not 4 or 5. Stockpiling will do nothing but cause shortages, which will increase prices. All they're doing is prehibiting the elderly and less wealthy from buying essential items.

We will never get to the extent where vital stores are closed, not with this virus, not even with a 1918 repeat. If this happened, the country would go to ruins. People have to work, and vital shops have to stay open. And they will.

What worries me most is small buisnesses, and the self employed. When this really ramps up, I fear for their wellbeing.

Very difficult for a supermarket to control a mob. Only got to look at the often filmed January sales. None too sure I would stand in their way.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
1 hour ago, John88B said:

Not sure whether you’re being serious or not. He first claimed it was a hoax and then claimed to have shut it down. He was shaking hands with everybody on Friday night. He’s a halfwit who says whatever comes into his head without regard to truth or even sense. Fortunately, it doesn’t really matter as he’s an irrelevance as far as this crisis goes.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

It seems that in the vast majority of cases you can’t transmit the virus until you start showing symptoms .

This would be positive news.  I’m not sure why this hasn’t been explained more clearly to the public .

You can find that in the U.K. government report on Covid 19. 

Its titled: Guidance for infection , prevention and control in healthcare settings .

That would be a good thing to communicate. I'll be honest, I'm still really unclear about how this thing works, might be my own ignorance but it's because I read conflicting things. I read that you can have it without knowing it - in which case clearly people will transmit blind.

I've had a sore throat for 4 days and, because I've developed this idea I can have it and not know it (and I work in a place that would be ideal for transmission), I'm wondering if I've got it right now, even though I don't have the headline symptoms! 

But if it's only usually transmitable when you have the cough/fever, that will help us all know the enemy, so to speak! 

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like the OAP lock down is imminent 

skynews-coronavirus-uk_4944742.jpg?20200
NEWS.SKY.COM

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has told Sky News that over-70s will be asked to self-isolate - potentially for months - "in the coming weeks".