Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Guest Delete Me

So speaking to a couple of mates who have both been out to do their shopping at 24-hour supermarkets tonight (congleton and stoke), they've literally come back with a few items and said its like the end of the world scenario.

No bread, no milk, no pasta, no rice, no tins, no crisps, no towels/tissues/toilet rolls, no medicines and packed full of people with trolleys overflowing.

Off to Sainsburys in the morning, I'm gonna end somebody I can feel it!

We need ventilators more than anything else to save lives

Germany has a major manufacturer that is cranking up production

Trump said he has ordered large numbers of ventilators - What are we doing ?

WWW.FT.COM

News, analysis and comment from the Financial Times, the worldʼs leading global business publication

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
20 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if the US sees a skyrocketing amount of cases in one day soon.

With lots of dead people?

Posted
1 hour ago, pip22 said:

Steve Lookner

@lookner Report from ITV that people over 70 in the UK will be required to stay home, not go out, and have no visitors for 4 months

Peston was on about this earlier. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️
4 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

So speaking to a couple of mates who have both been out to do their shopping at 24-hour supermarkets tonight (congleton and stoke), they've literally come back with a few items and said its like the end of the world scenario.

No bread, no milk, no pasta, no rice, no tins, no crisps, no towels/tissues/toilet rolls, no medicines and packed full of people with trolleys overflowing.

Off to Sainsburys in the morning, I'm gonna end somebody I can feel it!

People can’t even buy the right things. You want to be getting highly nutritious, long life stuff like smoked salmon

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
14 minutes ago, pip22 said:

Disclose.tv

@disclosetv

BREAKING - ROYAL RETREAT! Queen quits Buckingham Palace over #COVID19 fears as UK cases hit 1,140 and death toll doubles to 21. Plans are in place to quarantine her and Prince Philip, 98, at Sandringham if the coronavirus outbreak worsens.

Let's Philip get his old bent Range Rover out again for a last blast.

Posted

Bold laundry liquid-purple

Cheap dishwasher tablets

Orange juice /apple juice not from concentrate 

Uncle Ben’s packet golden veg rice 

Pasta chopped tomatoes 

Olive oil

Strong white flour

Yeast 

Baking soda

Cheddar 

Uht milk or powder

Eggs

Butter

Nurofen

Coke

Sliced ham

Nature valley peanut butter bars

Peanut butter

Jam

Disinfectant 

Hand wipes 

Water

Seltzer water

Coconut milk

Canned pipeapple juice

Food bars

Pemmican 

Tang

Smoked salmon

Canned fish

Bouillon 

Powdered milk

Whey powder

Hard cheese encased

Shredded wheat

Popcorn

Potato flour

Sweet potato flour

Raisins dried fruit

Nuts

Seeds

Vitamins

Calcium vit D

Canned fruit (citrus)

Canned veg

Canned Beans

Retried beans

Apple cider vinegar

White vinegar 

Vodka

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Saint coolio said:

Cheap dishwasher tablets

Pasta chopped tomatoes 

Olive oil

Strong white flour

Yeast 

Baking soda

Cheddar 

Uht milk or powder

Eggs

Butter

Nurofen

Coke

Sliced ham

Peanut butter

Jam

Disinfectant 

Hand wipes 

Water

Seltzer water

Coconut milk

Canned pipeapple juice

Food bars

Pemmican 

Tang

Smoked salmon

Canned fish

Bouillon 

Powdered milk

Whey powder

Hard cheese encased

Shredded wheat

Popcorn

Potato flour

Sweet potato flour

Raisins dried fruit

Nuts

Seeds

Vitamins

Calcium vit D

Canned fruit (citrus)

Canned veg

Canned Beans

Retried beans

Apple cider vinegar

White vinegar 

Vodka

That was my preppers list from Feb - ignore the top few though, wife added them!

just in case it helps... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
6 minutes ago, Saint coolio said:

Cheap dishwasher tablets

Pasta chopped tomatoes 

Olive oil

Strong white flour

Yeast 

Baking soda

Cheddar 

Uht milk or powder

Eggs

Butter

Nurofen

Coke

Sliced ham

Peanut butter

Jam

Disinfectant 

Hand wipes 

Water

Seltzer water

Coconut milk

Canned pipeapple juice

Food bars

Pemmican 

Tang

Smoked salmon

Canned fish

Bouillon 

Powdered milk

Whey powder

Hard cheese encased

Shredded wheat

Popcorn

Potato flour

Sweet potato flour

Raisins dried fruit

Nuts

Seeds

Vitamins

Calcium vit D

Canned fruit (citrus)

Canned veg

Canned Beans

Retried beans

Apple cider vinegar

White vinegar 

Vodka

Stuff you were looking to buy or your purchases?

Edited by snefnug

Posted
1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

And 000s of elderly would've died in hospitals here throughout the Winter, massively increased numbers compared to normal. The spike would've been so large there is no way the NHS, health experts, govt would've somehow missed it.

I just want to add to my post. 

Anecdotal alert:

When my dad was admitted to hospital during his last days, nearly 2 years ago, he was immediately diagnosed with suspected pneumonia. When he was transferred to a ward, after about 12 hours in an A&E bed, the main doctor on the ward told us she would test him for influenza, because a number of his symptoms were clear signs of flu.

Later on the following day she confirmed he had influenza in his body. She was 99.9% sure his pneumonia was influenza-induced. She also told us it is routine testing to look for causes of pneumonia.

So, any patients admitted to hospital during the winter with pneumonia, for example, would have had further tests done to determine why the pneumonia; many would've been elderly. Those tests would've detected COVID-19, if present. 

There have been no reports of huge spike in deaths during the Winter months. If COVID-19 had been active it would've showed up and reported.

So, there is no way these coughs, talked about on SM, that happened in November, December or even January would've been COVID-19, otherwise it would've spread like wildfire much much earlier than now, and the elderly would've been dying in droves.

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

The Spectator Index

@spectatorindex

BREAKING: Wife of Spain's Prime Minister tests positive for coronavirus

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, snefnug said:

Dis tang?

DEB00643-20D8-4971-BC44-A7D3AE3931BF.jpeg

Posted
5 minutes ago, pip22 said:

The Spectator Index

@spectatorindex

BREAKING: Wife of Spain's Prime Minister tests positive for coronavirus

It really is everywhere ! One wonders just how many cases are really out there .

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
39 minutes ago, Saint coolio said:

Attached image appears to summarise the science behind the UK’s strategy - follow the green curve, not the blue one. It appears to be predicated on the idea that it is better to get the virus to pass through the population (with some delaying mechanism to protect the health service), whilst protecting most vulnerable populations through isolation. The purpose being to create some form of herd immunity and protect ourselves from a future wave of infection (which may be even worse). Self evidently, almost every other country is going for lockdown strategy, the blue curve.

There are just so many risks with our strategy given lack of clear understanding and data around the disease - it could go catastrophically wrong.

But even if it is the right approach (highly unlikely IMO), I just can’t see how we can even attempt this now, on our own. Can you imagine the situation in a few weeks time, for example, we we had 100s/1000s of deaths a weeks, and other countries have “managed” to get it under control. We would be in turmoil.

And imagine if some existing drugs prove effective in treatment - we could have ridiculous numbers of unnecessary sick people and deaths. 

image.jpeg

The thing here is that we did phase 1 better and so are behind the other countries. We have the advantage that we can see if Italy succeeds and change tack. Right now these lockdowns are blind because the Chinese ordered business to shut whereas people in Italy are still going to work.

15 minutes ago, Coastal Eddy said:

We need ventilators more than anything else to save lives

Germany has a major manufacturer that is cranking up production

Trump said he has ordered large numbers of ventilators - What are we doing ?

WWW.FT.COM

News, analysis and comment from the Financial Times, the worldʼs leading global business publication

We’re extending critical care from 6000 to 11000 and increasing testing capacity.

• Like 2

Posted

British manufacturing companies are to be tasked with increasing the production of ventilators and other medical equipment, while the NHS could also buy up beds in private hospitals.

In a conference call with manufacturers on Monday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson will urge them to join a "national effort" to tackle the virus.

Downing Street says it has already been working with suppliers in the UK and abroad to increase the nation's supply of ventilators.

Earlier, the Labour Party and GMB union called for the government to use empty beds in "plush private hospitals" to ease the pressure on the NHS.

It comes as Prof Chris Whitty, the UK government's chief medical adviser, warned that facilities for people needing oxygen and critical care beds would be the parts of the NHS that will come under pressure first as the scale of the outbreak increases.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 hours ago, ManiaMuse said:

There was a very nasty cough which went around my workplace before Christmas and over New year.  A significant proportion of people at my workplace and to get it. The demographic of my work is very heavily skewed to young people in their twenties and a lot of then caught it.

My immune system is normally pretty good but I ended up with a persistent cough which took several weeks to fully shake off. I might have had a mild fever for a day or so but it definitely wasn't flu and seemed different to the usual colds and sniffles that go around in winter as well.

This has been mentioned several times. I had it just before New Year. Gradual worsening of dry cough symptoms over several days with some shortness of breath. It surely must be a related virus?

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

This has been mentioned several times. I had it just before New Year. Gradual worsening of dry cough symptoms over several days with some shortness of breath. It surely must be a related virus?

"Surely"? How can you be so sure?

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, snefnug said:

Stuff you were looking to buy or your purchases?

That was the target. Couldn’t get pemmican or Tang . Apparently “booze and sweets” shop (or something) in Southampton has it, but I didn’t think it was *that* important

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

"Surely"? How can you be so sure?

Because the symptoms were nigh on identical to the 'mild' symptoms being touted for this. But I get your point and obviously it was not Covid. It was most likely another coronavirus type/variant however.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Because the symptoms were nigh on identical to the 'mild' symptoms being touted for this. But I get your point and obviously it was not Covid. It was most likely another coronavirus type/variant however.

I understand your concern, CC, but if these coughs from November, December people have mentioned on SM, were a mild form of this virus the elderly and seriously unwell would've been affected before Xmas, and massive numbers of deaths would've occured. That is why i cant see it as probable.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
14 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

It really is everywhere ! One wonders just how many cases are really out there .

Tens of thousands no doubt that have either gone undetected or passed off by the person with it as seasonal flu