Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

That's pretty amazing tbh, and it makes me wanna say again...just how many of us have already had this complaint and suffered no symptoms! Some of us who are panicking now could have already had it and not even been aware!! At least that offers some degree of comfort. 

Agreed. Or it could be that there are numerous strains, some more potent than others.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Well, now that you ask, not really... Spurs won't lose, this weekend!

The sport shut down has come at a great time for Spurs. Kane + Son will be back if it restarts! 

(not that this really matters though... :/) 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Science nerds would need to develop a serology test to look for antibodies.

i would love to take one as I would love to know. The thing I had at Christmas matched every single coronavirus checkbox. 

I am not up with the science, but is it easy or difficult to do the serology test?

No idea if I am asking basic medicine or Star Trek stuff?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
51 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

That's rather concerning. Let's hope we can go some way to rectifying that in the next few weeks by bringing in the armed services and cancelling all non-urgent operations.

I think the cancellation of non urgent opps has already been announced, I'm sure I heard it on the news this morning, although may be it was for somewhere else, as I was still half asleep. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Never mind the Olympics are going ahead. Like too see how many can get there if the virus is still rampaging.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun
19 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Snap, I’m coeliac and did wonder if the non coeliac panic buyers would start on the gluten free stuff.... they may yet!  I’m really sensitive and can't tolerate oat based gluten free stuff so am very careful what I buy.  At £3.50 a loaf though non coeliac panic buyers might think twice

I think if it comes to it they might. I got a big loaf today and stuck half in the freezer. It’s 2 of my little boys who are the coeliacs so a little half loaf does them for a week. I was really worried their bits would all be gone as their intolerance is serious, but we’ll be alright for a while I think. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Sorry if this has been posted but a must watch he explains what it felt like to have covid 19

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I think we're well and truly buggered here in France. No coherent government strategy and mad spread...

I'm scared but I have enough supplies and a warm dog to cuddle up to...

• Like 4

Posted

• Like 1

Just now, Azazel said:

Science nerds would need to develop a serology test to look for antibodies.

i would love to take one as I would love to know. The thing I had at Christmas matched every single coronavirus checkbox. 

This is still in the back of my mind. Literally everywhere someone has had either a mild or sever flu/cold type over christmas and onwards.

Now, this is probably still very common obviously, and very unlikely to actually be this virus, however, I still find it odd that another new milder virus was doing the rounds at exactly the same time, and affecting so many people. Yes, obviously new strains or variations or whatever come along every year, but the time frame just seems so exacting, and with so many people, its definitely at least a 1% possibility of being the same thing. Add into the fact that there's numerous variations/strains/whatever you call it of COVID, and the data suggests that there's a trace of it thats been tracked back to the UK around Christmas time. Plus, as far as I can make out, Heathrow and Gatwick appear to make up 50% of the 4 direct flights from Wuhan to Europe, so it is surprising we havent had more cases before hand.

This is the website that was linked here yesterday by someone regarding the strains etc:

NEXTSTRAIN.ORG

How accurate that website is, I have no idea, but it shows England as having traces of this way before most other countries outside China. Is this something maybe our experts have data on? Could this all just be b*****x and completely unrelated? Yes of course, but its an interesting thought, and certainly something to look into more in the future (depending on how things go).

• Like 2

Posted

Open letter from scientists criticise Government policy

_111248383_mediaitem111248382.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Hundreds of scientists write to the government calling for tougher measures to tackle Covid-19.

Posted
51 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

A lighter topic (or maybe not!) 

Anyone having sport withdrawal symptoms today? 

Nope my husband don't watch them, shame really I got my withdrawal symptoms about twenty years ago. 

• Like 2

Posted

This is concerning ....

'We need to change our behaviour now'

“We have, in France, a rapidly developing situation in several parts of the country," the health said.

"We need to do everything in our power to stem the peak of this epidemic," which he confirmed had entered stage 3, meaning  the virus is now circulating actively across French territory.

“How the situation develops in the coming days depends on our behaviour," he said.

Salomon stressed that the disease did not just affect older people. He said that 50 percent of the 300 coronavirus patients currently in intensive care in a serious condition were aged under 60.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20200314/france-orders-all-bars-restaurants-and-non-essential-shops-to-close-to-step-coronavirus-epidemic

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, HighPressure said:

I am not up with the science, but is it easy or difficult to do the serology test?

No idea if I am asking basic medicine or Star Trek stuff?

I’m actually not sure what it involves but no, it’s not cutting edge science I wouldn’t have thought and I do believe the Koreans might already have developed one.

I wonder if I can have a serology test for the flu? If it wasn’t the flu I had then I’m certain it was corona. Would be nice to rule that out.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

I’m actually not sure what it involves but no, it’s not cutting edge science I wouldn’t have thought and I do believe the Koreans might already have developed one.

I wonder if I can have a serology test for the flu? If it wasn’t the flu I had then I’m certain it was corona. Would be nice to rule that out.

Why rule it out? If you had it your immune until a new strain comes along.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Nope my husband don't watch them, shame really I got my withdrawal symptoms about twenty years ago. 

Only ever watched the London Marathon or Tour de France. Prefer to do sport than watch it!

Posted

Take a look at this from China.

It just proves how big of a difference isolating yourself can make.

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Well, unless I’ve missed something somewhere along the line, is it not sort of where this nightmare most probably began?  

May be and may be not, it might have been where the fist big cluster was, but who knows where it started, it developed naturally, so any anger towards which country it decided to cluster in first, is misplaced. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, The PIT said:

Why rule it out? If you had it your immune until a new strain comes along.

It not so much ruling it out or even looking at as one person, if millions of us have already had it, that makes a significant difference to how many will now get it and reduce the peak cases the NHS believe they will get - Hence why I think it could be quite important for everyone to know if some of us did get it early.

Yes it would be nice to know on a personal level as well, but not the main objective.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Something that occurred to me. It's a little grim, but then so are a lot of things about this virus. What about wills? Under normal circumstances, and for good reasons, you need two witnesses (in England, anyway) for a will to be valid. But if we have an Italy-style period coming up, where there is literally no hospital space left, then some people are going to die at home. In some of those cases, they will still be of sound mind until nearly the end. Should these people (only) be allowed to make "emergency wills" without the usual witness safeguards? Because asking witnesses to come in under those circumstances would be impossibly dangerous. I accept there would be a certain risk of fraud, but would it outweigh the benefits? I am no expert and do not know the answer.

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Take a look at this from China.

It just proves how big of a difference isolating yourself can make.

But, then, what will the 2nd wave look like?

We will only know if the UKs policy of infecting the herd works when all the figures are in at the end of the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The oldest patient who's death was announced today was in his 90s with "significant other health conditions" 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-what-we-know-about-the-uk-victims-11957568

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
24 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Sorry if this has been posted but a must watch he explains what it felt like to have covid 19

The EFT exercise he talks about

• Like 1

Posted

I believe I saw a few pages back a link to a Dutch(?) company who discovered a serology test for Sars and Mers and that they were at testing stage with very promising results so far for Covid 19 from adapted tests for the previous ones.

I dare say at some point serology data will become available when they begin those types of tests but it's some way off as yet. 

The biggest problem will be finding a suitable company willing to invest and begin mass producing the kits once the testing and trials are done. 

• Like 2