Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
52 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Once again from WHO:

ADVICE FOR YOUR MENTAL HEALTH FROM WHO

"Minimize watching, reading or listening to news that causes you to feel anxious or distressed; seek information only from trusted sources and mainly to take practical steps to prepare your plans and protect yourself and loved ones. Seek information updates at specific times during the day, once or twice. The sudden and near-constant stream of news reports about an outbreak can cause anyone to feel worried" WHO: Mental Health and Psychosocial Considerations During COVID-19 Outbreak.

Important for everyone to remember this, if you feel too invested into it or its making you nervous/anxious, take some time away. Think that is an important message to remember.

And, most important of all, STAY OFF NET-WEATHER!!!:oldlaugh:

Posted
8 minutes ago, snefnug said:

It may not be the most reliable, but it is quoting quoted facts on one page.  There must be some element of herd happening in Italy and Wuhan.  Perhaps someone on the thread might know but I would guess that Wuhan population live in small multiperson apartments, either as parents - adult single  child, young families or co workers.  So maybe, shutdown coincided with peak numbers of herd infections?  Maybe random sample test of 1 in a 1000 now in Wuhan would reveal that.  I should think Chinese government and health services would do this, to find out.  

Simply put, no there is no herd immunuty from either Wuhan or Italy. For Wuhan you'd have to have had 6-7 million cases (we had at most 70000 in Wuhan), Its just the lockdown has stopped people from meeting and thus stopping the spread of the infection. Simple as that.

Remember you need 60-70% of the population to be infected to have some sort of herd immunity, Wuhan was dozens of times short of that figure.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Following my post a few mins ago found an article on thelocal.de about what Germany is doing.

Every single thing the UK govt has advised us to do, is exactly what Germans are being told to do.

Not quite

"Germany (is) working hard to retrace the steps of people who contracted the virus, and their methods of 'tracking of the infection chains' are helping in the reduction. All events with more than 1,000 participants are to be canceled," explained Dr. Norman Fried, a medical expert and professor at Columbia University. "Huge public fairs are being scrapped, including Berlin's travel fest ITB and the Leipzig Book Fair, as well as the postponement of many other public events. Rules governing compensation for workers forced to cut hours are being eased."

The Government hasn't done that yet only outside organisations so Germany seem to be a two weeks ahead of us.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun
4 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

The panic buying will only continue and probably get worse as the cases/deaths rise in the UK, and particularly if/when measures are announced for the elderly to stay home. 

The only solution is to implement some form of rationing surely? I saw people buying whole pallets of tinned food yesterday, which is unnecessary and selfish. And the baby food situation that was mentioned earlier in the thread is really horrible to hear, many parents will be getting v. worried over this due to the panic buyers (although they probably are worrying themselves, so it's a difficult situation!).

I went on a mission for the baby milk and managed to find some. 5 tubs left on the shelf. I brought my usual 3 for the week and left the other 2. The other half wanted to buy them but I said no because I know there will now be another parent turn up at that shelf and be as  relieved as I was that they can feed their baby for a bit longer. 

There was hardly any bread, no pasta at all, no tinned veg (tomatoes, sweet corn etc) no beans or tinned spaghetti etc, no eggs whatsoever, no toilet roll at all. Luckily the celiacs dont seem to be panic buying as we have 2 in our household and all the gluten free bits were well stocked  

Something so lovely happened though. I went to the pharmacy counter and asked if they had an paracetamol, genuinely wanted just 1 box (none on the shelves) and the lady went out the back and said that she had put away one box for herself but she would give it to me. She said as I had little ones to look after she would rather I have it. I walked away feeling rather emotional at her kind gesture. What a lovely lady! I will be silently thanking that lady every time I have a headache for the next couple of weeks! 

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, The PIT said:

Not quite

"Germany (is) working hard to retrace the steps of people who contracted the virus, and their methods of 'tracking of the infection chains' are helping in the reduction. All events with more than 1,000 participants are to be canceled," explained Dr. Norman Fried, a medical expert and professor at Columbia University. "Huge public fairs are being scrapped, including Berlin's travel fest ITB and the Leipzig Book Fair, as well as the postponement of many other public events. Rules governing compensation for workers forced to cut hours are being eased."

The Government hasn't done that yet only outside organisations so Germany seem to be a two weeks ahead of us.

Also remember that Germany is a federal country, so some states have shut down schools and implemented harder restrictions based on the needs of their area. Also as you say they have stopped all events over 1000 and that has been the case for a little while now.

So whilst we were having 60,000 horse racing and 3000 Madrid fans over, most of the rest of the world had banned events over 1000.

Posted
2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Not quite

Yes, that is because they are 2 weeks ahead  so to speak

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

25 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Easier said than done! I know I am anxious and my sleep is suffering but you have to keep up to date with what is going on as the situation is changing so rapidly. I'm taking comfort in the sunny day (partly) today that allowed me to get out and do some jobs in the garden. No run today though, my running buddy injured his (dog) wrist yesterday during a ball game and is limping and I never go without him. He was better this evening after day of rest and just gentle walking so the nice sunny day progged for tomorrow will hopefully be good for us to go gently.

I am with you Spike. I have kept busy doing my cleaning, playing my PC game and having my family close. It is business as usual for us as it goes, Bubs went to a party at laser world  and had a great time - swimming school is still on. At the moment our school has said it is cancelling events to parents, and is asking parents if they have internet access. The head doesn't want to close. Our village doesn't appear to be too worried. I am making sure hands are washed, mummy style. Oh and I brought a coat. 

Edited by Dami

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Yes, that is because they are 2 weeks ahead  so to speak

Here is all of the cases in table form, I made this. It is the case rate for the first day above 100, this is based on yesterdays number:

image.thumb.png.c88dbac175886d78a61f46ffd6758c89.png

Probably 6 days behind German at the moment, 2 weeks behind Italy...roughly!

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Not quite

I have hard time believing that this is possible when you have more than 4000 cases. And it will get even harder in the coming days.

Edited by daz_4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Noway has closed all ports and aiirports.

I know this will impact me/us personally but maybe it is time. Just for a while to let the numbers settle. I never thought I'd say this, but maybe the EU should take holistic action. We have to stop this "thing"...

I'm saying this with tears streaming down my  face...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and anything extreme.
18 minutes ago, The PIT said:
20 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

I hold shares in Morrisons. One of the few i didnt sell down the other week, before markets got battered.

People will always need to eat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Germany began banning gatherings of 1000 or more 4 days ago, when they were on 1295 cases.

In Germany, which has 1,295 coronavirus patients and where two people have died, Berlin authorities announced the closure of all theatres, concert halls and opera houses until at least the end of the Easter holidays. The capital also became the seventh of Germany’s 16 states to ban gatherings of 1,000 people or more.

Source

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

France adds 838 cases and also 12 deaths to the total.

Been trying to keep up to date with BFMTV but it's slow to update.

That is seriously crap! OH being evacuated next weekend over here for sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
13 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Okay my final question !

The mouth and nasal passage seem to be better conditions for the virus to multiply initially .

But do these areas provide constant reinforcements to the virus to help it overwhelm the body .

I'll be following the advice from that doctor ( and of course the guidelines ) from now on.. I'll also be doing it for any other ailments in the future.

12 minutes ago, The PIT said:

I think your thinking far to much about it. If you're fit and healthy you'll probably whack it into touch without any difficulty unless you're very unlucky.

He does mention fit and healthy people are more likely resist small doses of viruses but not large amounts so even if you're fit you still  have to keep the numbers down to avoid developing the worst symptoms.

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, AWD said:

Me too.  Bread is fresh and meat is good. 

Pork shoulder offer at £2 kg. Got a nice large joint. Butchered  it so have good sized joint tomorrow for the family and the rest I made into sausages. 

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
1 hour ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Yeah, that's all fine. It's just the medical advice that's an issue. 

Errrm.....

Does this include repeating the advice of the U.S. 'Coronavirus Prof' with regards toward a 'Proactive Approach' to viral load management once infected?

The more I consider the advice the more 'Sage' it becomes (on so many levels?).

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
1 minute ago, Spikecollie said:

Been trying to keep up to date with BFMTV but it's slow to update.

That is seriously crap! OH being evacuated next weekend over here for sure.

I'm so sorry this may happen to your OH but strict measures are needed to combat this

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 1

Posted

Oh god .. day 3 : I was feeling much better. Now I have a fever. I'm still kinda sure I don't have covid ... I think

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jhonny147 said:

I'm so sorry this may happen to your OH but strict measures are needed to combat this

Not due to being infected, just our contingency plan as he was booked for April 2 but we feel the need to get him back here ASAP before it may become impossible....