Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I really hope that the lag time and lack of testing earlier on were factored in when the decisions were made earlier. I’m sure it was, but updates like this don’t tend to help ease the concerns that our figures have been skewed when we may be much closer to some the bigger totals in Europe.

Regarding supermarkets, I don’t really want to think about it, maybe the supermarkets were telling the truth the first time but stocks were obliterated again from panic buyers???

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
8 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Is it just me, or does anyone-else find anticipating infection-/death-rates a wee bit disturbing? It's a tad too much like The National Lottery Live for my liking...:cc_confused:

I know the human race tends to be morbidly fascinated by unnatural death so it's hardly surprising that the news and media outlets focus on the numbers who have died, but I can't help feeling it would help to ease everyone's anxiety if they were to announce with the same degree of enthusiasm the numbers of people who have recovered from the virus since the previous day, and in total.  

The numbers of recovered patients far exceed those who have sadly died and it would help to remind people that 97%+ of people getting the virus will live to tell the tale....

• Like 4

Posted

• Like 3

Posted
26 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Latest testing and confirmation stats, big jump in tests. Proportion of confirmed cases in line with trends.

TestsvInfectionsUK_14_3.thumb.png.e067b783652498f7e887a94fbb0119bc.png

The concerning issue with the rise, is they said they were only going to test more serious cases, so that says to me the serious cases are rising fast. I wonder what % are now hospitalised?

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 2

Posted

Been walking into town this last week using local shops instead of supermarkets... chopped and sawn wood from two trees we’ve had chopped down so enough firewood for at least the next month...

Actually felt like spring yesterday in the sunshine yesterday and sat in the garden...hopefully more sunshine next week and week after with high pressure taking hold to get that dose of vitamin d 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
37 minutes ago, Nick L said:

A villa on the east coast. I suspect travel bans will become increasingly commonplace over the coming days.

Even if travel is possible, I believe most insurance companies have excluded covid19 cover on any new travel insurance policies from yesterday/today. Pre-existing policies should be covered.

holiday-travel-cancellation-flights-airp
WWW.MONEYWISE.CO.UK

Some of the UK's leading insurance companies cut back on travel policies because of coronavirus

Edited by kar999
Link
  • Like 1

Posted

Posted

Posted
25 minutes ago, Nick L said:

This is starting to concern me a little too. The suggestion that these things would be restocked in a few days just isn't happening.

I suspect the mitigation idea of the army being called in to help supplies may not be quite as far away as was first thought. People need to really buy enough food for possibly 2 weeks, the problem is some people have brought enough of some items to last 2 years!

I have admit, the leap in deaths is what more concerning to me. It may just be bad luck, but thats quite the leap.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

The concerning issue with the rise, is they said they were only going to test more serious cases, so that says to me the serious cases are rising fast. I wonder what % are now hospitalised?

Its likely that hasn't filtered through yet, so you may see a relative flattening trend in a few days to account for the change in methodology, but then it will start to surge back again afterwards.

At that point, deaths will probably be a better measure of where we are in terms of raw numbers.

Posted

Terrible decision by Macron to go ahead with the elections tomorrow . Unless there’s some last minute change .

I expect and hope the second round next Sunday will be cancelled .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

May the karma of the Universe come back and bite him on the bum...

Once in the UK, there was a young Polish Mummy with her little one in front of me in the queue in ALDI. She was buying nappies and baby food. Her card was declined and she didin't have enough cash and became very distressed. I bought her shopping for her - the most natural thing to me in the world.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
1 hour ago, Gray-Wolf said:

The longer you can keep 'knocking back' any viral load that you are carrying the more time you give your own body to bolster its defences (build antibodies to fight the lower viral load you'll be carrying)
So apart from your hand hygiene consider 'hitting the virus' where it hangs out to multiply (nose/throat where nose meets it and throat to the back of the mouth)

Alcohol mouthwash is what the 'Coronavirus Prof' advised for gargling in the throat and an antiviral procedure for nostrils/back of throat where nose meets throat?

If we can 'build herd immunity' whilst keeping our own viral shedding low (by constant proactive intervention with our own 'viral nurseries'?) then surely this is better for our 'At Risk' groups than just blindly allowing unfettered infection to take off across Society?

Just seen your reply to my post that was deleted ( would be nice to know why ) and wanted to say thanks for that piece of advice.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Spikecollie said:

May the karma of the Universe come back and bite him on the bum...

Once in the UK, there was a young Polish Mummy with her little one in front of me in the queue in ALDI. She was buying nappies and baby food. Her card was declined and she didin't have enough cash and became very distressed. I bought her shopping for her - the most natural thing to me in the world.

Not quite as lovely, but there was a child trying to get on the bus in front of me once, he was probably about 14 or so. Was 50p short and the bus driver said no. The child explained he didn’t have a phone and no one was home anyway (a good hours walk uphill to a local village) but the driver still said no. 

I just said I’d pay - the bus driver was annoyed I’d helped the boy but had to accept my money.

I don’t get how common decency isn’t more of a thing?!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
6 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Terrible decision by Macron to go ahead with the elections tomorrow . Unless there’s some last minute change .

I expect and hold the second round next Sunday will be cancelled .

I was talking about this earlier, regarding the elderly. Many have told me that they intend to go to the polling station either because they want to be seen and see others or because they don't trust postal voting. It's a contagion minefield, not just touching objects but the airborne element too.

It will also, as was discussed earlier too, be an unreliable indicator of political persuasion and hence could be considered undemocratic because so many people will choose not to attend.

BTW our local paper confirmed the location of the first case in Creuse, about 5km from where we have our little piece of land - not that we ever see much of anyone there anyway. It's about 21km from our village but a different Département.

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Did the percentage of cases to tests go up or down today.

Posted

Posted
Just now, Summer Sun said:

Yes but this is literally the start of this.

I made a few caluclations earlier today.

Basically, using Matt Hancock's idea of a marathon, if we were to run a marathon, assuming we have 10,000 cases, we'd have jogged something like 15 steps in to the marathon at this point. Thats how far we still have to go if we want herd immunity!!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

That is VERY disturbing to look at.

Considering that we are only at the beginning of this makes it much more disturbing.

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
42 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

I know this is a serious time, but this is doing the rounds, and it really made me chuckle

lol.jpg

That would apply back when I was a teenager - most teenagers now have electric gadgets to keep them preoccupied.

Edited by D.V.R
typo
  • Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, emmett garland said:

There is a 3.6% chance of contracting diahorrea from the virus which is the only explanation I can think of for this madness 

Apart from the excessive buyers I think a lot of the problem is people use a loo roll at least once a day and probably a lot more.  Not unreasonably most people are rather put off using the alternatives.  Other than torn up Mail & Mirror of course.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Did the percentage of cases to tests go up or down today.

Updated version of the chart from earlier

TestsvInfectionsUK_14_3.thumb.png.cce309b349101591e009b76fd6c1d098.png

• Like 1

Posted

• Like 1