• Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
WWW.MANCHESTEREVENINGNEWS.CO.UK

It is understood at least half a dozen flights are affected

Here's our explanation!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

It could be something to do with Jet2 as well, we need to see if it is having effect on other companies.

All other Jet2 flights are operating as normal it's just the Spanish flights that are returning

download.thumb.png.4d3b97c82c2d63f75673ac5d9b04cc05.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
32 minutes ago, SimonG said:

I've been following the thread for a while but first post here.

It's interesting to look at the number of hospital beds per capita each country has. There certainly seems some correlation between the fatality rate and number of beds available 
South Korea - 11.5 beds per 1000 people
Italy - 3.4  beds per 1000 people
Germany - 8.3  beds per 1000 people
France - 6.5  beds per 1000 people
Spain - 3.0 beds per 1000 people
UK - 2.8 beds per 1000 people (appears to have fallen to 2.5 beds more recently)

All countries listed here 

DATA.WORLDBANK.ORG

Hospital beds (per 1,000 people) - United Kingdom from The World Bank: Data

There's also stats for doctors / nurses per capita

Cheers for the info and welcome to Netweather @SimonG 

Guest Delete Me

ALL UK airports have turned away passengers flying out to Spain with Jet2 this morning.

Just heard from people in Fuertventura who are stuck at the airport trying to sort out repatriation back to the UK.

Posted
29 minutes ago, kold weather said:

In normal times I'd totally agree with this, however there will be mega money for a vaccine from this, and also many lives to be saved. I think you'll find some places will super fast track it and possibly go straight to human testing on a large level. If the vaccine saves a 1 million lives, then a 1000 people would be utterly expendable (again, its the Hisorshima argument, possibly kill some to save a greater number) on the grand scheme of things. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a full working vaccine by October, though obviously there is still time needed to ramp up production and get it out there. Indeed, there already are numerous first steps down that path that have been completed. I know animal testing for example has been done in London successfully.

Also, reading today that a cure is in the first stages has been started on an antibody proven to work (I think its closer linked to the SARS antibody)

It's the human testing that takes the longest time unfortunately. Unless we're facing an extinction pandemic then the 3 clinical trial phases have to be followed for safety, side effects and efficacy. Some vaccines already developed have managed to bypass the animal testing phase at least and I'm guessing they will be able to cut licensing time too. That will save a few months at most so earliest possible for mass use will still likely be this time next year.

By March 2021 we could already have had 2 waves of this. It's impossible for any country to be going in and out of lockdown until then without collapsing their economy and that in itself will bring far more deaths than the virus. I was in favour of lockdown at first but it needed to be a synchronised one across the world in order to eradicate it. That opportunity has long gone now. 

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, Zak M said:

Cheers for the info and welcome to Netweather @SimonG 

We have roughly 100,000 beds (there maybe a little extra capacity here and there) in hospitals at the moment from a source that I have seen. Yesterday I did some war gaming of my own to see what is IMO a realistic better case scenario based on what we have thus far heard from the CMO and the idea tht 95% of the people who will get ill will do so in a period of 4-6 weeks around the peak.

So doing the sums, i figured out based roughly on a South Korea model (I went a little higher, purely because scale of it) for the peak month we would need roughly 300,000 beds concurrent, so need to increase by several times our total current capacity. Plus obviously you will need considerably more staff for such an increase as well.

If you use Italys numbers as a model, well I don't even want to think about the numbers (however, they won't be accurate due to missing cases. South Korea has done such a HUGE amount of tests, I feel like they will be at least somewhat accurate with their case-hosptilization ratio as they caught many weak/asymptomatic cases.)

• Like 2

Guest Delete Me

Some patients who recovered from Covid-19 have suffered reduced lung function and now experience problems such as gasping for air when walking quickly, Hong Kong’s Hospital Authority has revealed.

The authority released its findings on Thursday after observing the first group of discharged coronavirus patients.

b906ad9e-6458-11ea-8e9f-2d196083a37c_ima
WWW.SCMP.COM

Hospital Authority releases its findings after observing the first group of discharged coronavirus patients.

------

This does not come as a surprise - i've contracted Pneumonia x2 and Pleurisy and my lung capacity and overall state is not  great

Posted
8 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

By March 2021 we could already have had 2 waves of this. It's impossible for any country to be going in and out of lockdown until then without collapsing their economy and that in itself will bring far more deaths than the virus itself. I was in favour of lockdown at first but it needed to be a synchronised one across the world in order to eradicate it. That opportunity has long gone now. 

That is very much what the argument boils down to, can you keep locking down and keeping it out until you can get a cure/vaccine. We think you can't, most countries think you can. Certainly on a city to city level I'm a 100% sure you *can*, history is littered with cities that have kept things going for several years during sieges for example, even relatively recent history (Stalingrad, Leningrad, Madrid during the Spanish Civil War, to an extent even here with the Battle of Britain and the Blitz). I acknowledge they were dreadful situations mind you! However that is not what is being asked, whole countries is probably the biggest experiment of that theory.

As for the economy, I suspect you will find that if it is a global problem, the globes biggest companies and central banks will simply erase past debt and start again, or debase, since everyone will be in the same boat anyway. Of course, I'm not an economist so I may be talking nonsense there i'll admit! However this is based on the actions global banks did during the crash to keep the plates spinning.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Sky News Breaking

@SkyNewsBreak·2m

Iranian state TV reports the number of people who have died after testing positive for COVID-19 in the country has risen by 97 to 611 citing a health ministry official

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

WWW.MSN.COM

Coronavirus survivors have spoken out about what it is like to contract the disease, which has infected more than 132,000 worldwide and killed over 5,000 people

Again this shows the different affects it has on each individual and below is an example where the patient hardly felt sick.

He said: “The sickest I’ve ever been was when I had bronchitis several years ago. This has been much easier – no chills, no body aches. I breathe easily and I don’t have a stuffy nose. “My chest feels tight and I have coughing spells. If I were at home with similar symptoms, I probably would have gone to work as usual.” After having the illness for one month, Carl now has no symptoms, but is still testing positive.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Yes that is my reading on it as well, this is all to prevent a 2nd wave coming in which could more dangerous, such as we saw with the Spanish Flu, which as of the moment is probably our best comparison to what is unfolding globally.

Also, I agree, there is almost 0% chance the NHS copes with this without collapsing. It almost collapses in a normal bad flu season...and this is of magnitudes worse than that. We just have to hope we can limit it as much as possible as we get towards the peak. I've estimated we have at least a 200,000 bed shortfall, and that is in a fairly weak situation, if it is much worse than I expect, we are stuffed pretty much.

Using the army is a great idea, I'd also try and get uni students to do some work (as I said before, they need to get Bojo doing the Kitchener pose on a poster!) to help older people who are isolated.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 4

Posted

I think the chances of my holiday to Morocco in two weeks are fast diminishing. They've added new countries to the ban list, including the Netherlands. Pretty sure we'll be next!

• Like 2

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

I think the chances of my holiday to Morocco in two weeks are fast diminishing. They've added new countries to the ban list, including the Netherlands. Pretty sure we'll be next!

Would you really want to risk it anyway now though?

Posted

This is ridiculous!!

........and now I'm panicking, some morons think tonic water fends off coronavirus and the shelves in my local supermarket were empty! Plans to fight my way through a lockdown fortified by Gin and Tonics are now in tatters!! 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Some hints of potential problems with the elections here in France tomorrow, the Interior Minister has been talking about measures to ensure that there are enough "scrutineers" for the process. There are also shortages of hand gel for voters. My opinion is that it is a major mistake allowing voting to go ahead. Many older people I have spoken to take their right to vote very seriously and while some have a postal vote, others do not trust the process or they want to be physically present and seen. Not a good contagion scenario...

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Would you really want to risk it anyway now though?

At the moment, yes - I think my chances of getting it on the tube are probably greater. 

• Like 3