Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted

Also, typical and just as we probably all expected, weather models showing a pretty significant cold plunge towards Europe in the 7-12 day period now, thats not what Europe needs. Although higher temperatures won't stop it, it will help reduce its staying power on surfaces, especially in strong sunlight on metal. However mother nature looks like its going to do that classic shoddy winter, shoddy Spring tactic!

I love having to put weather models, normally on this forum, models would have been enough for everyone to know what it meant!

• Like 4

Posted

Anyway guys and gals, i'll just add what i added on a number of occasions in the now defunct politics thread; despite arguments, debates, people disagreeing, sometimes quite fiercely, the great thing about the UK is that despite our differences we'll always stand up after a row and say

"Right, who wants another drink?"

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Anyway guys and gals, i'll just add what i added on a number of occasions in the now defunct politics thread; despite arguments, debates, people disagreeing, sometimes quite fiercely, the great thing about the UK is that despite our differences we'll always stand up after a row and say

"Right, who wants another drink?"

Already on my 5th can of very strong lager.

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I wonder, while there is no cure, will there be drugs or trials doctors will be looking at that protect the lungs.

This virus heads for our lungs.

Remdesivir and Chloroquine. Also another Japanese one I forget what it’s called.

Posted
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

Remdesivir and Chloroquine. Also another Japanese one I forget what it’s called.

Asahi 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I wonder, while there is no cure, will there be drugs or trials doctors will be looking at that protect the lungs.

This virus heads for our lungs.

The biggest threat is from your own immune system going haywire. It's this that needs to be stopped.

Whilst the virus will cause some damage to your lungs in its own right, the greatest danger by far is immune cells destroying your lungs.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

I read they’re trying to modify existing anti virals . Rather than trying to develop totally new ones which makes sense given the urgency .

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

The biggest threat is from your own immune system going haywire. It's this that needs to be stopped.

Whilst the virus will cause some damage to your lungs in its own right, the greatest danger by far is immune cells destroying your lungs.

cytokine storm, speculated to have been the driver that led to the 2nd wave of the Spanish Flu being so deadly. I hope any 2nd wave doesn't mutate like that, because suddenly I'm back into a high risk bracket!

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I think most know my views re the B word. 

Whatever happens when this virus finally recedes I think many of us will view life from a different perspective.

Because we’ve never had this sort of experience before. And it shows how at mercy many things we take for granted can be upended by a virus .

For all the technologies available to us the world is struggling with this .

Been thinking along these lines, on and off, for most of today. We've taken for granted the ease of nipping to the pub, being able to shop for almost anything, the food and goods from all over the world just being dropped off at the ports, then transported to our local supermarkets. Why not hop on a plane to Vegas or just nip to the Med for the weekend.

Call our family or friends from anywhere in the world. Just get on the phone, tablet or laptop and have the world at our fingertips. On the playstation and interact with someone across the globe.

Basically, everything on tap. It was so easy, so satisfying.....then.....almost out of the blue.......

BANGGGGGG!!! WHOAH.......rethink time.

Now i know how it felt for my dad to get in the back garden bunker every eve back in the war.

Ok, exagerration, but u get my drift. Normal, easy life has been interrupted.

• Like 5

Regarding the apparent u turn on mass gatherings. Whatever the reason or decision making process, I think the way its happened is probably the preferable way. 

They got to see the feeling of the nation, and seeing as so many people were calling for events to be cancelled etc, it's almost like people will be relieved and happy for events to be cancelled. Whereas in a parallel universe, you can bet anything that people would complain that their event has been cancelled, and there's no need etc. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

cytokine storm, speculated to have been the driver that led to the 2nd wave of the Spanish Flu being so deadly. I hope any 2nd wave doesn't mutate like that, because suddenly I'm back into a high risk bracket!

That's why I wondered whether any medication that effectively slows your metabolism down, lowers heart rate and blood pressure etc, would be useful in such an instance.

Has to be a reason why a stimulant like caffeine makes symptoms worse...I live on caffeine but my body doesn't want to know the stuff when i have a virus.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

That's why I wondered whether any medication that effectively slows your metabolism down, lowers heart rate and blood pressure etc, would be useful in such an instance.

I would have thought that if such a thing exists, it would or is being used in those cases requiring it. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Been thinking along these lines, on and off, for most of today. We've taken for granted the ease of nipping to the pub, being able to shop for almost anything, the food and goods from all over the world just being dropped off at the ports, then transported to our local supermarkets. Why not hop on a plane to Vegas or just nip to the Med for the weekend.

Call our family or friends from anywhere in the world. Just get on the phone, tablet or laptop and have the world at our fingertips. On the playstation and interact with someone across the globe.

Basically, everything on tap. It was so easy, so satisfying.....then.....almost out of the blue.......

BANGGGGGG!!! WHOAH.......rethink time.

Now i know how it felt for my dad to get in the back garden bunker every eve back in the war.

Ok, exagerration, but u get my drift. Normal, easy life has been interrupted.

Some great points BB .

Your last one is particularly poignant because some of those who are likely to suffer more than most are those who might still have childhood memories of that time . 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 1

Posted

To be honest I’ve not seen much evidence of panic buying down here yet .

The only thing I couldn’t find was hand gel and the pharmacist just gave me an instruction leaflet and the ingredients and charged me over 30 euros for the pleasure! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 2

Posted

Nicked this from another site (a liverpool site for my sins, I don't support Liverpool, I was just curious of their reaction to the prem postponement) but because its a great layout, however here is a list of the possible plans that will be asked to become law next week:

* Police allowed to detain infected

* Care standards could be lowered for elderly (Local Authorities to no longer have statutory duty to meet 'assessed needs' - implies reduced care hours)

* Ministers allowed to close ports if there are insufficient border staff on duty.

* 'Trains, vessels, vehicles, and aircraft' can be halted for whatever reason.

* Schools can be directed to close or remain open

* Funeral process to be sped up. No jury inquests required, any medical professional can sign death certificate, and doctor doesn't need to see body of the deceased.

Sounds closer to a lockdown type situation, maybe not Full Italy style, but thats a clear step towards that.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Nicked this from another site (a liverpool site for my sins, I don't support Liverpool, I was just curious of their reaction to the prem postponement) but because its a great layout, however here is a list of the possible plans that will be asked to become law next week:

* Police allowed to detain infected

* Care standards could be lowered for elderly (Local Authorities to no longer have statutory duty to meet 'assessed needs' - implies reduced care hours)

* Ministers allowed to close ports if there are insufficient border staff on duty.

* 'Trains, vessels, vehicles, and aircraft' can be halted for whatever reason.

* Schools can be directed to close or remain open

* Funeral process to be sped up. No jury inquests required, any medical professional can sign death certificate, and doctor doesn't need to see body of the deceased.

Sounds closer to a lockdown type situation, maybe not Full Italy style, but thats a clear step towards that.

"Police allowed to detain infected"

Interesting. So Plod will suddenly have the resource? Hmm....our local Chief has been bleating on about lack of resource for last couple of years, even though when there's a traffic incident, somehow numerous plod turn up, very quickly.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

"Police allowed to detain infected"

Interesting. So Plod will suddenly have the resource? Hmm....our local Chief has been bleating on about lack of resource for last couple of years, even though when there's a traffic incident, somehow numerous plod turn up, very quickly.

I suspect for police you could also read 'army' because I'm fairly certain they will deployed quite widely, especially in the final phase to help keep order. Won't be any wars to worry about for a while since we will be too busy battling internal battles so to speak.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
17 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Best advise right now is to get some sleep.. imo .

Yep exa tly what I'm about to do. 

Posted

The latest French update suggests things are rapidly going downhill here .

3661 confirmed cases . That’s up by 800.

79 deaths .

154 people in intensive care 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

whats the point of police detaining when all you'll do is spread it within the police force then - they don't have medical qualifications,

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The latest French update suggests things are rapidly going downhill here .

3661 confirmed cases . That’s up by 800.

79 deaths .

154 people in intensive care 

Grim, Nick. Thoughts with the people affected across the Channel. Genuine.

• Like 1