Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted

Please folks think about taking a break.  I've just popped back in and it must be exhausting for the people on here reading and posting so often.  The constant stress generated will make you less able to cope with the challenges ahead.  

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/mental-health-considerations.pdf?sfvrsn=6d3578af_2

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The Simpsons do it again

received_669717187173406.thumb.jpeg.455b0f28dc311b98470bc7b5808c381e.jpeg

I don’t wanna be THAT guy, but the first three panels are screens from an episode about a flu from Osaka and someone has photoshopped ‘corona virus’ onto the fourth panel from a completely different episode.

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Well stop jumping all over the UK government then, this virus seems to effect  the hard of thinking most.

Take a chill pill ! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
13 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

They're on prescription. Propranalol I took.

I think they use propranalol for treating esophageal varices in end stage liver disease so they must be strong, just checked though and can't seem to get any online.

Just now, abruzzi spur said:

Please folks think about taking a break.  I've just popped back in and it must be exhausting for the people on here reading and posting so often.  The constant stress generated will make you less able to cope with the challenges ahead.  

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/mental-health-considerations.pdf?sfvrsn=6d3578af_2

I've got a bad cough and fever, so nothing better to do................na not really, just my bad humour.

But for me personally, I'm not worried or stressed at all. Not because I think I'm immune, but because whatever will happen, will happen. We can all take reasonable personal measures to protect ourselves, but if its mine or my parents time, then so be it, its just a fact of life. If there's nothing more I can do to protect myself, then why ruin my life worrying. I'm more concerned about the future worldwide economic impacts, but thats chapter 2, we're still in chapter 1 for now.

I'm here more just for the wide spread of info as I find it interesting. Yes quite a lot of it is hearsay or inaccurate sometimes, but its still, to me any way, interesting to get a load of info on the worldwide situation, as you'd never get that in the news. The news may have one or two good snippets, and the rest is either political point scoring, or just general bashing to get views. Plus this forum, despite being up and down at times, is fairly higher up the list for reliable info than Facebook or Twitter.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
5 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Pandemic pantomime?

I don't think pantomimes could be classified as a pandemic......

I'll get my coat before I am booed off the stage.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
8 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

I have read it, and some valid points, but I'm OK, I don't seem to suffer from stress and depression, it's my way of coping, as apposed to going panic shopping. It just helps me feel I know where we are. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Extremes!

The potential ban of UK flights by President Trump and his team of advisers is also beginning to concentrate minds.

Banning flights is a good example of reducing fat tail risk (see @nntaleb  tweet 11/03/2020 6.20pm).

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Well stop jumping all over the UK government then, this virus seems to effect  the hard of thinking most.

Boris do you not have something else to be doing? 
To be honest it’s totally legitimate to question the government In this case, they’ve u turned in 24 hours. It’s obvious it’s been forced on them by so many institutions cancelling events and from the criticism within their own party. To give them credit this is an exceptionally difficult event to react to so they’ll not always get it right.

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, emax said:

I've got a bad cough and fever, so nothing better to do................na not really, just my bad humour.

But for me personally, I'm not worried or stressed at all. Not because I think I'm immune, but because whatever will happen, will happen. We can all take reasonable personal measures to protect ourselves, but if its mine or my parents time, then so be it, its just a fact of life. If there's nothing more I can do to protect myself, then why ruin my life worrying. I'm more concerned about the future worldwide economic impacts, but thats chapter 2, we're still in chapter 1 for now.

I'm here more just for the wide spread of info as I find it interesting. Yes quite a lot of it is hearsay or inaccurate sometimes, but its still, to me any way, interesting to get a load of info on the worldwide situation, as you'd never get that in the news. The news may have one or two good snippets, and the rest is either political point scoring, or just general bashing to get views. Plus this forum, despite being up and down at times, is fairly higher up the list for reliable info than Facebook or Twitter.

Well what I posted wasn't for any particular individual.  It was in response to a sense I had that some here are very anxious and I thought that the link I provided might be helpful.  Glad you're tickety boo though.

Edited by abruzzi spur
Typo
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Take a chill pill ! 

And retreat to your remote chateau within the foothills of the Pyrenees lol.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, emax said:

I have to admit I'm here because this is a good source of information you may well otherwise miss. Also we all will agree this is one of those periods of time that will go down in history, and probably still be spoken about in 100 years time, in much the same way the Spanish Flu is still brought up. Sometimes I'm off this site for years at a time, however it always hooks me back in during historic moments, whether weather or in this case something far more grave.

I'm not bothered about myself too much either, I'm still in the low risk category by some margin, and I'm reasonably fit and healthy, so my odds of riding this out are super high, however if I'm one of the unlucky young ones, then not a lot I'm going to be able to do about it. If I was 75 and had several health problems, I probably wouldn't be having much contact with people from this point.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, abruzzi spur said:

Well what I posted wasn't for any particular individual.  It was in response to a sense I had that some here are very anxious and I thought that the link I provided might be helpful.  Glad you're ticket boo though.

Jeez, I wasnt belittling it, I was just putting my point of view across.

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Yep... after Cheltenham....

In fairness, the same thing would have happened if Labour were in in charge, even with Corbyn at the helm. The backlash from the horse racing community would have been huge if the event was cancelled at what would have been the eleventh hour.

Time probably got too close to Cheltenham to suddenly cancel it. If the Festival had been next week, then i suspect it would've been cancelled earlier this week. Plus, the current party in power unexpectedly held Cheltenham in the GE with a maj of less than 1000

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, DAVID SNOW said:

Lmao ! If only I had a chateau. 

Anyway lets move on . You’ve said your piece . I’ve said mine . 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I think they use propranalol for treating esophageal varices in end stage liver disease so they must be strong, just checked though and can't seem to get any online.

Perscription only, I got prescribed them once, but because of my fear of meds didn't take them lol, it was for panic attacks that I was having disappeared on there own once I got diagnosed with Ms, finally knew what was happening to me. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
9 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

They have many uses and the doctor told me they are generally very safe and free of side effects.

Dosing on them helps people with high blood pressure for a start. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

This did make me chuckle. Not for a personal or offensive dig or anything, just had an image of there being people all round the world in their remote mansions and chateau's, stocked up to the gunnels hoping to ride it out. Every time a servant coughs, they shoot them and hire another one.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, alexisj9 said:

Perscription only, I got prescribed them once, but because of my fear of meds didn't take them lol, it was for panic attacks that I was having disappeared on there own once I got diagnosed with Ms, finally knew what was happening to me. 

Yes i know they are prescription only but sometimes there are ways and means of getting round things if you know what i mean but can't see a way with those.

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Time probably got too close to Cheltenham to suddenly cancel it. If the Festival had been next week, then i suspect it would've been cancelled earlier this week. Plus, the current party in power unexpectedly held Cheltenham in the GE with a maj of less than 1000

Yes. I actually don't totally subscribe to the theory that this was forced upon them. I do think there is a plan to slowly introduce the more dracoian rules over time, and with the laws coming in next week and sneak peak we've had, they are putting into law some quite extensive details which would in normal peace time make it look very much like a dictatorship. However this is not normal times.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, emax said:

This did make me chuckle. Not for a personal or offensive dig or anything, just had an image of there being people all round the world in their remote mansions and chateau's, stocked up to the gunnels hoping to ride it out. Every time a servant coughs, they shoot them and hire another one.

Omg that really made me laugh ! 

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

They have many uses and the doctor told me they are generally very safe and free of side effects.

Dosing on them helps people with high blood pressure for a start. 

typical - sounds like just what i would enjoy at any point in time but can't get any - just my luck!

Posted

I wonder, while there is no cure, will there be drugs or trials doctors will be looking at that protect the lungs.

This virus heads for our lungs.

• Like 1