• Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Breaking: Italy report 250 new deaths and 2,116 new cases

Total cases 14,955 with 1,266 deaths

Quite extraordinary figures!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Italy have reported a slight fall in new cases with 535 less new cases than yesterday

New deaths though have increased by 61 compared to yesterday 

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Herd immunity as a policy decision or aim would only work if you did the following.

Stopped children from seeing their older parents , stop grandchildren from visiting .

All older high risk groups self isolate for the entirety.

If you don’t do that then because your rates of infection are higher in the general public by extension older people are more at risk of seeing anyone .

The current  policy is effectively one where the current government has decided that the public might be able to stomach so many deaths and have decided that’s a price worth paying .

They’re now starting a propaganda campaign drip feeding that it’s all so great if at least 60% become infected . 

By extension that feeds into people taking less precautions.

It seems to me the science is being made to fit into the policy decision. 

The experts are being asked how do we get from a to b . And of course they’ve explained how to do that .

Are we really to believe that every single other country in the worlds experts are all wrong.

That the UK has found a miracle  policy which can  mean less economic impact short term and also have less deaths, do people not think other countries would be going for this , why would they want more economic damage .

Clearly other countries have decided they’re not willing to risk many more deaths.

And have decided they’d rather take more of an economic hit and save more lives .

That’s it , theres really no other logical position to take ! 

I am sure they are not doing it for a laugh.  We can only review the results afterwards.  If they are right should we be pleased? If the are wrong? Or something in between?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yup, breaking ranks now, the Gov is going to have to be very careful here, not only are universities closing, more and more parents are taking the law into their own hands and taking their kids out of school.

Asi said earlier chris witty must be under masive pressure ..

Their herd immunity experiment may start to fall apart if unis close en masse ignoring government advice. This will only create more panic and lead to parents taking action themselves as you said..

Posted

In regard to your first point, I did not read the twitter comments/advice.

The second point is relevant in respect of how the the uk policy is developing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.
9 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

It appears the universities are ignoring the government and making up their own minds about shutting. Many universities up and down the country have today told their students they are stopping face-to-face activities with immediate effect. This is in Portsmouth:

b25lY21zOjBkZjA4NDQ2LTkzOTEtNGVkZC04ZWVl
WWW.PORTSMOUTH.CO.UK

BOSSES at the University of Portsmouth are to suspend face-to-face teaching from tonight because of the coronavirus outbreak, members of staff have been told.

As a Ports student with the dental school, we share students from KCL and though face-to-face lectures have been cancelled, clinic is still expected to run, but for how long I don't know.

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

We are the most advanced life form that has ever existed on this planet but how quick we are brought to our knees by something so tiny  and seemingly powerless to stop.

Been watching the War of the Wolds?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I think we have Boris advisors working for us. A member of staff who has a weakened immune response so from that the person is probably having cancer treatment. Anyway they emailed our coronavirus because she works in a building where theres a large contact with students and can they work from home. The reply was is up to your team leader. Team leader has asked us to move her to the next office next door.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, ThundersnowDays said:

Not another cruise! They should stop them all for a while.

Told em - told em this weeks ago, you'd have to be a suicide jockey to go on one now.

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snipper said:

I am sure they are not doing it for a laugh.  We can only review the results afterwards.  If they are right should we be pleased? If the are wrong? Or something in between?

Time will tell . 

They’ve made the decision and have to own the consequences. If it works out they deserve plaudits if not they deserve to be severely criticized.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, kold weather said:

Spain now up 1,188 today. and probably still got some more to rise as well. VERY bad day for them it has to be said, and makes me worried for what Italy will produce tonight. Got to be getting close to those countries top end testing capacity now?

Anyway amazing to think 3 months ago Coronavirus was pretty much unknown and we were taking the election and Brexit was some peoples biggest fear. Brexit looks utterly insignificant now...

Yep it is for now, the economy which was my main reason for the stance I had is going to suffer probably a hell of a lot more than anything brexit could ever do. One thing will happen because of this out break and that is social change, and it will be global, so nothing at all from before this virus matters anymore. It's what happens after and how we all together pick up the pieces and start again. 

Posted

Regional data to 9am shows;

• 154 new cases in England
  • 25 new cases in Scotland
  • 19 new cases in Wales
  • 9 new cases in Northern Ireland

Posted
10 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

We seem to be going into voluntary lockdown, which may be easier to enforce than mandatory lockdown?

That is what I have been hoping.  If the people make the decision from what they are hearing so much  easier to control. A nudge police thought?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ciel said:

In regard to your first point, I did not read the twitter comments/advice.

The second point is relevant in respect of how the the uk policy is developing.

I'm assuming thats in reply to me?

You said you agree with the question's he asked, but now say you havent read it? I was literally discussing his questions that he asked....confused.com

Posted

More Italy data

• 181 Recovered in last 24 hours - total 1,439
  • 1,328 In intensive care
  • 7,426 In hospital
  • 6,201 self-isolating at home
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Time will tell . 

They’ve made the decision and have to own the consequences. If it works out they deserve plaudits if not they deserve to be severely criticized.

Must be very stressful. Glad I’m only having a drink trying to keep up with the posts.  My day off from being a world leader fortunately. 

• Like 4

Posted

@nick sussex it's maddening but sadly we're not going to achieve anything. We are now going to have to sit back and watch, and people like you and me will have to hope we are wrong about the government's plan, and that we aren't going to discover that the most catastrophic event since the war was partly avoidable. 

I note some on the thread above are criticising doomsday predictions - these predictions are only quoting the government's advisers - up to 80% will get it, 1/5th off work at the peak, 1% death rate. No-one is making this up, it's straight from the horse's mouth. And so it's not unreasonable to say this would be the worst event in the UK since WW2.

• Like 8

Posted

University College London (the largest UK uni) has also cancelled all face-to-face teaching until the end of the academic year, and is significantly reducing formal assessments.

UK unis are falling like dominoes. 

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 1