Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
5 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

"David Solomon Halpern FAcSS is a British psychologist and civil servant, heading the Behavioural Insights Team spun out from the Cabinet Office."

There's plenty more information out there about this team and how they've had more and more influence in government in recent years. They're behavioural scientists, not virologists

They're part of a large team. How difficult is it to understand? The Guardian...ok. could they be stirring it a tad?

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

How do you know?

I mean whether you agree with what they are thinking, these are guys are clearly far more qualified than anyone on here. I have huge question marks, but they have access to data which we don't and for now the logic seems to be decent enough to me.

There IS definately a heavy hint of behavioural studies in there, nothing wrong with that either providing their modelling is correct...otherwise like many weather models, its going to be wrong. Hope to put our faith in them.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

So what? We'd be bloody daft were we to ignore the effects a pandemic might have regarding people's behaviour...?

Expert advice about viral disease pandemics should be first and foremost from epidemiologists and virologists who have a whole life of experience in these areas. UK policy appears to be mostly affected by the nudge team (which is why it differs from literally every other country). 

Posted
Just now, Stabilo19 said:

Expert advice about viral disease pandemics should be first and foremost from epidemiologists and virologists who have a whole life of experience in these areas. UK policy appears to be mostly affected by the nudge team (which is why it differs from literally every other country). 

No it doesnt. You're just speculating. The advisory team will be more than a few individuals we've seen over last week or so. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

They're part of a large team. How difficult is it to understand? The Guardian...ok. could they be stirring it a tad?

The point is, they have the largest influence on government policy on how to handle this outbreak. 

And the guardian is a credible news source? Are you questioning the BBC too? 

Posted
Just now, Bristle boy said:

No it doesnt. You're just speculating. The advisory team will be more than a few individuals we've seen over last week or so. 

There's plenty of evidence that the nudge unit is directing government policy on this. You've seen two doctors on TV and seem to think otherwise.

Posted
Just now, Stabilo19 said:

The point is, they have the largest influence on government policy on how to handle this outbreak. 

And the guardian is a credible news source? Are you questioning the BBC too? 

I included behavioural aspects in my last few years of qual research work; it is definitely important, but remains a segment of the overall government and medical response. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Just had another message from NHS 

6011D32D-CB4D-4D2C-9930-BB7C2B226C65.jpeg

Yes that follows the advice given out earlier.

My question again is people assuming they have it, but don't, then they go out thinking the are cured and then actually get it again but has spread it around. Very difficult for joe public to manage this, but not sure there is much choice.

Hoping we don't see a rapid death rate rise over the next 7-10 days but think thats kinda inevitable now given how relaxed we have been upto yesterday about things (IE the champions league match, Cheltenham, etc)

• Like 2

Posted

Direct from the nudge unit's website:

"What is the Nudge Unit doing on coronavirus?

The Nudge Unit is working closely with the Department of Health and Social Care in crafting the government response. The most visible manifestation of its influence to date is in the communication around hand-washing and face touching – in particular the use of “disgust” as an incentive to wash hands and the suggestion of singing Happy Birthday to ensure hands are washed for the requisite 20 seconds. But it also seems to be influencing the more controversial question over when to move from “contain” to “delay” phasing. This is based on evidence about duration of compliance."

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Bristle boy said:

I included behavioural aspects in my last few years of qual research work; it is definitely important, but remains a segment of the overall government and medical response. 

I've done a bit of it as well with my teaching (in maybe a different field of course!) but I think people often under-estimate how power a tool it is, because the people best at doing it will be doing it to you and you won't even realize its happening.

It does seem to be the difference between our tactics and the rest of Europe's though, can't think of any other reason why we are so different.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Posted
4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I've done a bit of it as well with my teaching (in maybe a different field of course!) but I think people often under-estimate how power a tool it is, because the people best at doing it will be doing it to you and you won't even realize its happening.

It does seem to be the difference between our tactics and the rest of Europe's though, can't think of any other reason why we are so different.

Behavioral science, as well as every other scientific discipline, is incredible important in unprecedented situations like covid-19.

Maybe the level of influence in the UK's handling of covid-19 perhaps should be questioned? And fortunately we live in a free enough society where we can do this. 

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 2

Posted

Spain now up 1,188 today. and probably still got some more to rise as well. VERY bad day for them it has to be said, and makes me worried for what Italy will produce tonight. Got to be getting close to those countries top end testing capacity now?

Anyway amazing to think 3 months ago Coronavirus was pretty much unknown and we were taking the election and Brexit was some peoples biggest fear. Brexit looks utterly insignificant now...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Italy have released data for deaths by age brackets in the Lombardy region

• 0-9 - No deaths
  • 10-19 - No deaths
  • 20-29 - No deaths
  • 30 to 39 - 1 death (0.1%)
  • 40 to 49 - 1 death (0.1%)
  • 50-59 - 14 deaths (1.7%)
  • 60-69 - 65 deaths (8.1%)
  • 70-79 - 274 deaths (34.2%)
  • 80-89 - 355 deaths (44.3%)
  • 90+ - 75 deaths (9.3%)

18 deaths were not reported - Total deaths so far 803

• Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Behavioral science, as well as every other scientific discipline, is incredible important in unprecedented situations like covid-19.

Maybe the level of influence in the UK's handling of covid-19 perhaps should be questioned? And fortunately we live in a free enough society where we can do this. 

I expect all experts are questioning everything and everyone and a consensus is agreed as and when a decision  is needed.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Just to clarify, before the thread heads off into another argument.

Epidemiology is basically the intersection between virology (the study of the physical nature of a virus and it's interaction at a cellular level)  and behavioral science (sociology and psychology). 

Virologists will be looking for a cure/vaccine, they will not be concerning themselves with the behavior of school kids or football fans. 

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, snow raven said:

So a lot more educated in this subject than the armchair doctors in this thread then?

Are we not allowed to express our concerns about policy being **led** by psychologists and sociologists?

Posted
1 minute ago, swebby said:

Just to clarify, before the thread heads off into another argument.

Epidemiology is basically the intersection between virology (the study of the physical nature of a virus and it's interaction at a cellular level)  and behavioral science (sociology and psychology). 

Virologists will be looking for a cure/vaccine, they will not be concerning themselves with the behavior of school kids or football fans. 

Argument?  Heaven forbid.  Don’t want anyone sent to bed early with no tea.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Jurgen Klopp has issued the following message to Liverpool fans

thumb_103949_default_news_size_5.jpeg
WWW.LIVERPOOLFC.COM

Jürgen Klopp has today issued the following message to supporters following the Premier League's decision to postpone all football activity until April 3 at the earliest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
13 minutes ago, snow raven said:

So a lot more educated in this subject than the armchair doctors in this thread then?

Spot on - some utter doomsday nonsense going on in here. (I would honestly advise any of you who suffer from mental illness or anxiety to take a step back from this thread)

Scotland up to 85 confirmed cases - 25 new cases confirmed today. 

I agree with this BBC News Science correspondent: Why is the U.K doing things different from everyone else?

D064D1AC-CDD8-442D-BEA3-BC1DE2E259C2.thumb.png.4e1093a854c6edde34a209cb52b7f59e.png

UK Government have been spot on so far.

I also agree with @Man With Beard - confirmed deaths should be the thing to keep an eye on now. (Only ten at the moment)

I would happily take on the virus right now if it protects/helps out more people in the long run - older generation with underlying health issues should be self isolating...that I do agree with but we will all do as we please. My Grandad’s house was destroyed in the Clydebank Blitz during WW2 - who am I to tell him what is best/what to do? 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted

The latest money making scheme by pharmacies here .

Went into the big one attached to the Le Clerc, asked for hand gel . Sorry out of that but we can give you the things you need and an instruction leaflet .

Aloe Vera , bottle of alcohol 90%, two bottles of scented oil, and two small bottles with pump.

31 Euros ! 

The supermarket was very busy even though I went at lunch time but no probs with toilet roll ! 

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Italy have released data for deaths by age brackets in the Lombardy region

• 0-9 - No deaths
  • 10-19 - No deaths
  • 20-29 - No deaths
  • 30 to 39 - 1 death (0.1%)
  • 40 to 49 - 1 death (0.1%)
  • 50-59 - 14 deaths (1.7%)
  • 60-69 - 65 deaths (8.1%)
  • 70-79 - 274 deaths (34.2%)
  • 80-89 - 355 deaths (44.3%)
  • 90+ - 75 deaths (9.3%)

18 deaths were not reported - Total deaths so far 803

That's terrible for the over 70s.

If only we could send them all to the Isle of Wight for 3 months holiday while the rest of us build up our immunity 

• Like 2