Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
1 hour ago, Stabilo19 said:

So now even Germany are closing schools in badly affected regions.

Is the UK the only affected European country refusing these measures now?

The clue in your post is "in badly affected regions". 

Posted
Just now, Bristle boy said:

The clue in your post is "in badly affected regions". 

Yes, and we are not at that point yet...though IMO looking at how it is starting to spread through public life and the rise in official reported cases yesterday does hint its on the start of that upward curve.

Guest Delete Me

Spain now on 4,209 worryingly with 1,063 in new cases and 52 new deaths - this is an update on this mornings figures

Posted

My friend sent me this yesterday. He dropped over a few bottles of hand sanitizer he managed to acquire, a mask and other bits and pieces for his elderly neighbour who is looking after her husband who has a heart condition. Made me tear up a bit.

some of us awful millennials do think about other people after all. 

Edit: removed phone number.

EC6FDE51-1369-42E5-A011-FE2D41B36B16.jpeg

Edited by Azazel
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

190 new cases  and 5 new deaths in the Netherlands

They now have 804 confirmed cases and 10 deaths

• Like 2

Guest Delete Me
8 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Can we assume that since cases in the UK seem quite well spread out at the moment then we're going to see a massive surge way past Italy at some point? 

Yesterday we were in line with Italy at +14 days, obviously at a lower level but the trend is there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Just watching BBC news and there was quite an interesting piece, comparing Italy to the UK, highlighting some good differences if anyone is interested. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Want To Buy - sorry talking in gaming marketplace speak lol

Get hold of chloroquine if you can. It’s also being used in most hospitals to treat this. It’s available over the counter in the UK. It’s an old anti-malarial which is being repurposed because it shows good efficacy against Covid and previously SARS.

Im not a medical professional so don’t take my word for it, but do some research first.

I have got my hands on some by telling the pharmacist I’m off to Costa Rica. 

It’s brand name is Alvoclor.

Edited by Azazel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
37 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

How many were for loo roll       

Posted
22 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Managed to get hold of some ethanol this morning. Going to make up a big bottle of homemade hand sanitizer and drop it round to my parents house tomorrow. (They’ve been unable to get hold of any).

Suppose if you can encourage them to stay at home they can wash their hands well instead. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, AWD said:

Just watching BBC news and there was quite an interesting piece, comparing Italy to the UK, highlighting some good differences if anyone is interested. 

The gist?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Duncan McAlister said:

Where was the advice to elderly and vulnerable people to self-isolate, if the strategy is all about spreading it among healthy people?

They would never outright admit it, but yes, that is the theory. If healthy people get it, it then reduces the risk to older people through herd immunity. 

Netherlands up 190, we've been tracking them very closely, so safe to assume we will be in a similar ballpark (150-250 IMO)

Netherlands and UK will probably go up together in a similar way as to France and Germany from the looks of things.

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Suppose if you can encourage them to stay at home they can wash their hands well instead. 

Yeah thanks I hadn’t thought of that. As my dad is extremely high risk though I want them to be over-cautious.

Thanks for the sarcastic advice though. I’ll take it on board.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I have got my hands on some by telling the pharmacist I’m off to Costa Rica. 

It’s brand name is Alvoclor.

I see what you did there

Edited by MAF
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

They would never outright admit it, but yes, that is the theory. If healthy people get it, it then reduces the risk to older people through herd immunity. 

Netherlands up 190, we've been tracking them very closely, so safe to assume we will be in a similar ballpark (150-250 IMO)

Netherlands and UK will probably go up together in a similar way as to France and Germany from the looks of things.

Yes, but what I’m saying is there seems to be a LOT of emphasis on healthy people getting the virus but very little on preventing vulnerable people getting it, at least during the ‘first wave’. All I can see is they’ve told old people not to go on cruises

Posted
18 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Yeah thanks I hadn’t thought of that. As my dad is extremely high risk though I want them to be over-cautious.

Thanks for the sarcastic advice though. I’ll take it on board.

Certainly not sarcastic.   You would definitely  know if was being sarcastic. 

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Duncan McAlister said:

Yes, but what I’m saying is there seems to be a LOT of emphasis on healthy people getting the virus but very little on preventing vulnerable people getting it, at least during the ‘first wave’. All I can see is they’ve told old people not to go on cruises

I think they have said for older people to some extent think about what they actually need to do.

But as I said, in practice I don't think its going to be realistic and I think a large percentage of at least the younger elderly (the 60-80 range) are going to get exposed to this as well. And I fear for if it gets into homes, because as Washington's care home showed, its lethal in that setting.

Belgium upto 556 cases now as well.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, kold weather said:

Yes, effectively. Sounds crazy but IF a 2nd wave does come, there is a reasonable risk it comes through at least as severe as it is, and a small risk it comes through worse. That is what made Spanish Flu so severe, because the 2nd wave saw a spike in young adults. 

Of course if we are to get really unlucky and there is a mutation, this whole lot will be for nothing. However I wouldn't have the first clue what sort of odds that would be, I can only assume they have run the numbers and decided the risk is worth it.

The worry is not really about a second wave behaving differently to what we are currently experiencing. The worry is of something far more likely, this coming back next winter and coinciding with a flu epidemic/pandemic.

Edited by swebby
  • Like 1