Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Prof. Semple on BBC news just explained about the change to one week self isolation instead of the two week previous advice.
You are 'less' infectious after one week he said and you can get back to providing valuable services .
And it is to do with this desire for 'herd immunity' .. trying to let the spread be more gradual.

• Like 2

Posted

I'm self isolating (as best I can) as of today, I developed a temperature while at work yesterday and can luckily work from home. I feel ok but one of my team developed a temperature and a dry cough yesterday. Impossible to know if we've been exposed to CV so just got to follow the relevant advice. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Madrid confirmed to have about 2,000 cases officially. Looks like that has developed into quite a strong cluster and likely will have seeded other cities through travel from there.

That means one of the most densely populated areas of Britain will now be severely affected - Liverpool, good job Real Madrid's game at Man city probably won't go ahead else that will be Manchester f****** as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
1 hour ago, Sky Full said:

I don't know if the following proposal is realistic but I'm going to post it anyway.....  There is great discussion over the decision whether to keep schools open, which many perceive as a means to spread the virus and others hope it will contain it.  

My proposal is that as children are not likely to suffer any ill effects from the virus, let alone die from it, we could immediately and intentionally expose everyone under the age of 18 who is otherwise fit and healthy to the virus so that within 14-21 days all of our under 18s are immune.  

During this period it would necessary to keep them away from anyone who is vulnerable - the elderly, infirm and long term sick - but where this was not possible the children might have to be placed into holiday camps or in some way isolated - we did more than this in WW2 by evacuating almost all of the children from London so it's not impossible.  

Clearly while the children remain carriers they will need to be kept at home or in confinement and this may be difficult but they are going to get it at sometime according to the predictions so it might as well be done in a controlled way.

Once these children are immune schools could safely reopen or if there were insufficient staff to do this at least the children could safely return home to be looked after by their grandparents while the parents remain at work.  

I know this is risky but the benefits of creating a large pool of immune children could be worth it?   I expect to be shot down but serious threats need radical actions I believe....

If there was some kind of camp where I could go to to voluntarily get infected, recover, and then be released again (so as to contribute to herd immunity) then I would do it. Without wanting to sound arrogant I'm in a very low-risk group (23 and no underlying health conditions), so would be very willing to take that risk.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

Prof. Semple on BBC news just explained about the change to one week self isolation instead of the two week previous advice.
You are 'less' infectious after one week he said and you can get back to providing valuable services .
And it is to do with this desire for 'herd immunity' .. trying to let the spread be more gradual.

Wonder what is meant by 'less' infectious though, that you will only infect say 10 out of 100 in a pub as opposed to 50, or will it just we a less potent illness like a cold or something?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Wonder what is meant by 'less' infectious though, that you will only infect say 10 out of 100 in a pub as opposed to 50, or will it just we a less potent illness like a cold or something?

I would have thought the former, but perhaps a smaller figure than 10? That would still blow up rapidly otherwise.

Edited by Relativistic

Posted
Just now, Relativistic said:

I would have thought the former, but perhaps a smaller figure than 10?

No good to the poor sod who then dies after getting it from you is it?

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

The issue with that advice is the less infectious but aswell as that will some  people  who have had contact with a confirmed case get a bit confused by the messaging and now think they can just self isolate for a week thereby going out in public whilst still highly infectious .

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I'm struggling to recall but there was a study done which showed you were more or less not spreading it past a certain point of infection, you weren't completely stopping from the spread, and some cases carried on spreading it for quite a considerable time (I think I saw one was still spreading it 27 days after diagnosis!) however the vast majority had that sharp drop off.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

They die either way.

Posted
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Also if the spread is less rapid this way then the NHS is less likely to be overwhelmed and said poor sod is actually more likely to survive?

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I'm struggling to recall but there was a study done which showed you were more or less not spreading it past a certain point of infection, you weren't completely stopping from the spread, and some cases carried on spreading it for quite a considerable time (I think I saw one was still spreading it 27 days after diagnosis!) however the vast majority had that sharp drop off.

That ties in i think because isn't this disease more commonly linked with colds and not flu, someone said to me with colds the later in the stage you are, when you pass it on it is milder, i have sometimes had colds where i didn't get any aches and pains and just got a sore throat, then a runny nose and have been gone completely by about day 3, with flu i think its different, you get the full monty even if someone is right at the end of it.

Posted
44 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I know they want to limit 111 calls, however this maybe this is one of those cases where it'd be wise to get some outside professional advice.

Don’t you think advice is being considered from all quarters? Difficult not to trip over it currently with what is going on in the media.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

I am sure the chief medical officer said yesterday that after 4 days we become a lot less infectious and after 7 days we are not infectious at all that was based on new data, could be wrong 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

A corona virus sufferer's experience of the symptoms.

WWW.MSN.COM

Elizabeth Schneider caught Covid-19 at a pal's house party despite none of the attendees showing signs of having the virus.

"Most of my friends who got it were in their late 40s to early 50s. I’m in my mid 30s.

"For us it was headache, fever (for first 3 days consistently and then on and off after 3 days), severe body aches and joint pain, and severe fatigue.

"I had a fever that spiked the first night to 103 degrees and eventually came down to 100 and then low grade 99.5.

"Some folks had diarrhea. I felt nauseous one day. Once the fever is gone some were left with nasal congestion, sore throat .

"Only a very few of us had a mild itchy cough. Very few had chest tightness or other respiratory symptoms."

To me personally that doesn't sound very serious but to others it might be detrimental. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
48 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Don't know if this has already been posted, but it's astonishing: $1331 for a test!

She essentially shames him into agreeing to provide the tests free.

That was impressive!  I have a lot of respect for how she built up to the question that could only be answered with YES.  An excellent questioner. An exceptionally articulate, proactive and assertive woman. 

Edited by Soaring Hawk
Because my own question of why she isnt President could have been construed as political.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
49565892277_cc83ea8f4f_k-1024x576.jpg
WWW.STATNEWS.COM

The study, from scientists in Germany, could provide key information that public health officials have been lacking in their response to the outbreak.

This is interesting about viral shedding  *lessening* after 5 days ... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
10 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:
49565892277_cc83ea8f4f_k-1024x576.jpg
WWW.STATNEWS.COM

The study, from scientists in Germany, could provide key information that public health officials have been lacking in their response to the outbreak.

This is interesting about viral shedding  *lessening* after 5 days ... 

The CMO and CSO yesterday referred to scientific opinion that influenced their opinion of a seven day self isolation period for mild symptoms. This and other exchanges between scientists could well have been what they were referring to. 
They also said they have learned a lot about many aspects of Covid-19 over the last few weeks. As with any new virus the science is rapidly evolving and this is likely to contribute to what may appear as inconsistencies in approaches.

Edited by Soaring Hawk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

It is all getting very panic stricken/dramatic in here - you would think the grim reaper is about to pay us all a visit. 

@CreweCold for example you look about 25 to 30 years old - I’m sure you will be fine. 

I was in Ibrox last night with forty seven and a half thousand people - terrible result/performance but grateful I was able to watch my team in Europe with such a huge crowd. (Including 1000/1500 Germans) Most other clubs played behind closed doors or not at all.

I seen hundreds of ladies and gents over the age of 65 - all having a great time, singing and hugging strangers when Rangers scored. 

Everyone I know/see in my town going about their daily business as usual. 

10 confirmed cases (as of yesterday) for the region my area falls under. (Greater Glasgow and Clyde - population over one million)

I think until more testing takes place/cases rise significantly or the Government make a move to more serious action...all will carry on as normal. 

I will be heading to Ibrox on Sunday for the game vs Celtic - once again in front of fifty thousand fans. (At the moment! )

I wish you all the best of health and maybe one or two should quarantine themselves from this thread for a day or two - just my opinion as it can’t be good for those of you who suffer any kind of mental illness/health.

Have a good day.

• Like 7

Posted
18 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

I am sure the chief medical officer said yesterday that after 4 days we become a lot less infectious and after 7 days we are not infectious at all that was based on new data, could be wrong 

It's not that you won't be infectious at day 7, it's that the risk is so vastly reduced to the point where the risk/benefit suggests you should be fine to go back out.

There will be outliers where people will still be infectious for a lot longer (longest I've seen is 27 days) however the vast majority should be pretty much clear by day 7. That is the theory, but as this is new, research may yet change again.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Although in my mid 40s myself i have both parents to consider , they are both in their 70s.

I have decided to stay away from my precious mum and dads  until this has passed, which may well be a few months- i have also instructed my teenage son to steer clearand my brothers young children are also now prevened  from visiting their grandparents ..

Its not easy for my brother as his children are still young and do not understand are exhibiting anxiety now for their nanna and grandad.

I am also now taking responsibilty for my parents shopping, i have asked them to refrain from leaving the house for anything other than an emergency.Although i find myself in a higher risk category i would give up my life for them (probably sounds dramatic) so i am prepared to go to the supermarket so they are not in harms way.

Am i doing the right thing i keep asking myself...

Snap. I'm taking over my parents shopping from yesterday. In my job it's very likely I'll catch it, but my Mum has a lung condition and diabetes. 

If she doesn't go out from today I'll more than happy.

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

A corona virus sufferer's experience of the symptoms.

WWW.MSN.COM

Elizabeth Schneider caught Covid-19 at a pal's house party despite none of the attendees showing signs of having the virus.

"Most of my friends who got it were in their late 40s to early 50s. I’m in my mid 30s.

"For us it was headache, fever (for first 3 days consistently and then on and off after 3 days), severe body aches and joint pain, and severe fatigue.

"I had a fever that spiked the first night to 103 degrees and eventually came down to 100 and then low grade 99.5.

"Some folks had diarrhea. I felt nauseous one day. Once the fever is gone some were left with nasal congestion, sore throat .

"Only a very few of us had a mild itchy cough. Very few had chest tightness or other respiratory symptoms."

To me personally that doesn't sound very serious but to others it might be detrimental. 

Chilling warning f.f.s! I was expecting hospitalisations and breathing problems. Media really don't help in these situations 

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 5