Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted

If you’re going to implement a herd immunity government response you need lots of discipline and almost total self isolation in high risk groups .

Otherwise you end up with a very large fatality rate .

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Nations where Football is suspended

Italy - Austria - Portugal - USA  -Holland

Nations where Football will be behind closed doors

France - Spain - Poland - Greece - Belgium

Nations doing absolutely nothing.........

England - Scotland - Wales

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Nicola Sturgeon speaking before Boris. She's just confirmed we're moving from contain to delay phase

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

The general thinking is that there's little chance of stopping the virus sweeping through the population now. It appears the UK plan is just to slow the transmission, so the peak number of cases is more spread out. This leaves some more capacity to treat the vulnerable groups and critical cases - or so the explanation goes.
Whether that approach will be enough or not to achieve their goals, especially compared to the measures taken by the other European counterparts, remains to be seen.

I just don't get why this idea is being accepted uncritically. China have more or less stopped it - why not us? 

• Like 5

Posted

Via Nicola Sturgeon - New advice to be announced will say that if you have indicative symptoms you should self-isolate for 7 days

• Like 2

Posted

The main one Cobra has NOT decided to close schools or colleges. The decision is though under constant review.

All Foreign school trips WILL be cancelled.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

I just don't get why this idea is being accepted uncritically. China have more or less stopped it - why not us? 

Could it not be an attempt to get the herd immune for future outbreaks that will occur in subsequent years. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

The main one Cobra has NOT decided to close schools or colleges. The decision is though under constant review.

:wallbash:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
2 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Could it not be an attempt to get the herd immune for future outbreaks that will occur in subsequent years. 

Viruses mutate. That's why there are new influenza vaccines every year that target the main circulating strain. So it's v. likely that if covid-19 circulated seasonally, then it will cause disease each and every year.

• Like 2

Posted

Nicola Sturgeon has said that If school closures are introduced they could last until Summer. They would not just be for a few weeks.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Via Nicola Sturgeon - New advice to be announced will say that if you have indicative symptoms you should self-isolate for 7 days

Does that mean they think after 7 days you’re no longer infectious ? 

Also in Germany they reported 32% of cases had a runny or blocked nose . 

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

This is clearly not going to work, people who are self employed and need to keep food on the table will just ignore, and it really doesn't need too many of those type of people to keep the community spread going. I know my parents for example will also ignore this, and I know many of that generation who are in theory are some risk, saying similar.

Unfortunately I fear the measures have doomed many thousands of people in this country...

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

Nicola Sturgeon has said that If school closures are introduced they could last until Summer. They would not just be for a few weeks.

That sounds bizarre . This looks like the narrative is to make school closures sound so bad and for so long that this justifies not doing them .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

You couldn't make this up.

• Like 3

Posted

Major League Soccer (MLS) have announced the suspension of all matches for 30 days with immediate effect.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

You couldn't make this up.

I can still kind of see the logic behind it, if you want to 'coccon' the elderly, it won't help if they have to help look after the children of the country.

However if they don't ban major events, then they may as well open up mass grave sites ready for what is to come...

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

There are a lot of unknowns with covid-19, but by looking at China and S. Korea, we do know that epidemics can be managed within 1-2 months if proper measures are implemented. 

IMO, to say that schools would be closed until summer demonstrates the ineptitude of the British government, rather than the severity of covid-19.

• Like 3

Posted

For Herd theory to work, its estimated at 2.2 RO you would likely need about 50-60% of the population to be exposed.

I suppose their theory is let younger people get it who have a very low risk, keep it away from the large majority of older and more at risk people, and eventually herd theory will mean it is less of a risk to the old. Heck of a gamble though that it doesn't get within elderly communities and people are going to be disciplined enough, especially as they have done almost nothing to stop growth of the virus population upto this point.

• Like 4

Posted
13 minutes ago, Snipper said:

I don't doubt your assessment is right, but do they really want to get there in the way that Spain and Italy have done? 

If anyone thinks this is mass hysteria, I suggest wait 10 more days. 

• Like 4

Posted

China are sending an Airbus A350 with medical experts and 31 tonnes of medical supplies to Rome to help with the efforts to contain Coronavirus in Italy.

You can track it here - https://www.flightradar24.com/CES787/2428af3c

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Closing schools is going to stop people going to work including the NHS so I think it's the correct decision, plus the kids in secondary school are not going to be housebound are they, hanging about town centres etc and could possibly be in a more vulnerable situation, so I think it will be safer for them been in school, 

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

This is clearly not going to work, people who are self employed and need to keep food on the table will just ignore, and it really doesn't need too many of those type of people to keep the community spread going.

Unfortunately I fear the measures have doomed many thousands of people in this country...

What!! The type of people who NEED to work to earn money to put food on the table???

Blimey!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Boro Snow said:

Closing schools is going to stop people going to work including the NHS so I think it's the correct decision, plus the kids in secondary school are not going to be housebound are they, hanging about town centres etc and could possibly be in a more vulnerable situation, so I think it will be safer for them been in school, 

Only with bad parenting.

• Like 1