1. 1. How was this Winter for you?

• Out of this world!
    • Fab
    • Very good
    • Good
    • Yeah, it was okay
    • Quite rubbish
    • Terrible
    • What ya talkin’ about? There was NO Winter!
    • Yes, I really liked this Autumn... (sarcasm)
    • Huh! Who needs the snow anyway!

Posted

Mmm as someone who likes a bit of cold and snow weather, and also dry frosty weather - it was preety poor, but not a complete non-starter. Started off cold and frosty in December, but then turned quickly wet and mild. The middle of December was quite seasonal with a dose of snow overnight 14/15th Dec which thawed quickly, further wintry showers and frost until the 17th. Then the grot set in for near on 2 months, with wind, rain, little frost, no snow other than the odd sleety hail shower at times, transient snow on the fells as well. 

The latter half of February did produce something more akin to winter, some snow at times, notably so morning of the 24th, with 6cms lying - unfortunately it was all gone by lunchtime!

Posted

Snow was below average, icy/frosty mornings were probably above, sick of de-icing now (-4 this morning).

Plenty of cold days which seems at odds with a lot of folk though this is also true when the south of the UK has warm/hot summers and here in NE England it stays cool/cold/average most of the time.

Posted
2 hours ago, Airedalejoe said:

Snow was below average, icy/frosty mornings were probably above, sick of de-icing now (-4 this morning).

Plenty of cold days which seems at odds with a lot of folk though this is also true when the south of the UK has warm/hot summers and here in NE England it stays cool/cold/average most of the time.

We’ve had plenty of cold days, even in London. I don’t class 8-10c as warm, and at times with the wind it actually has felt colder. 

Even in a mild winter, you can feel cold.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

No we haven't had plenty of cold days!! (and by that sounds like you're talking about your location)...you might 'feel' cold@sunny76 but the reality says and by that I mean statistics which back up what the UK average max and min temperatures are. Most British winters can feel cold due to wind, rain falling but going by averages we have had very few cold days. February only had 1 colder day than average (27th)...

If you don't want to feel cold I suggest moving to the Mediterranean...or hold on here as our winters are getting increasingly warmer. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Airedalejoe said:

Wow! talk about a difference, here on the Essex coast haven't recorded a single air frost all winter for the 1st time!

Posted
2 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

No we haven't had plenty of cold days!! (and by that sounds like you're talking about your location)...you might 'feel' cold@sunny76 but the reality says and by that I mean statistics which back up what the UK average max and min temperatures are. Most British winters can feel cold due to wind, rain falling but going by averages we have had very few cold days. February only had 1 colder day than average (27th)...

If you don't want to feel cold I suggest moving to the Mediterranean...or hold on here as our winters are getting increasingly warmer. 

You can’t change my mind mate, or the way I feel. I don’t want to move to the med, as I still like a variation in the weather.

Winters will not become 18c-21c anytime soon, in fact I can see many future winters remaining in the low teens at best. And with that just more damp cloudy days.

Damp mild weather can make people feel cold. Yes this winter has been very mild compared to the past and it wasn’t a winter dominated by frosty cold days, but the amount of wind and rain we’ve had, plus a few sunny cold days scattered in between. 

• Like 1

Posted

I go by facts...not how you 'feel'...if you did that every British winter would feel cold at some point regardless due to cloud, dampness and wind and remember we have a vast ocean to our west and with warming seas and atmosphere that sadly only amounts to one thing: cloud, and without the sun in winter it's never going to feel warm, but has this winter been mild? absolutely. 

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Sad to say but i think we will be chasing frost days in the future like we chase snow days in the south today thanks to global warming.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

As I said back in November, we just seem to get almost permanent grey lids of a sky these years which is soul destroying.  Personally I love variety in the weather and it's been poor again for months now as bar one morning of slush theres been no snow, little sunshine, nothing major storm wise imby, every single squall line broke up as it reached here leaving us with yet more cloud but none of the fun. Even though it seems pathetically mild, we couldn't even get a couple of warmer days to compensate for no snow. Perhaps I need to move to the coast where it seems livelier but here it seems to be the least active part of the country weather wise generally and to have a 6 month autumn to boot is awful. Worst winter ever for me and I fear this will be more the norm going forward in a warming world, why would it not be?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I think winter was  a "Samey" one.  If you take the absolute (ie disregarding negatives) difference between each of  Dec, Jan and Feb  from the mean CET for November you get  0.7.  The only other three occasions its been that low were 1922/23 (0.7) 1936/37 (0.6) and 2013/14 (0.6)

Posted

There needs to be a swear-filter amnesty for me to fully express my feelings about this "winter".

It's often said on here that if you don't like UK winters you should move somewhere else. So you do that and end up enduring a UK-style winter anyway. But no worries, you can always go even further east for a few days. Kiev just before Christmas - what could possibly go wrong? Oh, 11C and rain. Basically, the steroid-enhanced polar vortex and rampant jet stream has brought an Atlantic-style winter well into northern and eastern Europe. And it's still going.

I've already posted the "utter crap" line from Blackadder's Christmas Carol elsewhere on the forum, so I'll post the following here instead:

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

It's often said on here that if you don't like UK winters you should move somewhere else. So you do that and end up enduring a UK-style winter anyway. 

Forget Europe, you need to move to Canada to escape a UK style winter now! 

Posted
26 minutes ago, Don said:

I could move to Yellowknife and it would probably be 11C and rain all winter. I tend to find myself in the wrong place at the wrong time when I'm travelling. ?‍♂️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
29 minutes ago, Don said:

Alaska, Fairbanks

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

If I was to put into print what I really thought of  this winter , the post would probably be deleted on account of the obscene  content. It's cost me a bl...dy fortune.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: enjoys a warm and sunny day

I used to wear winter clothes in winter. And this winter I wore autumn clothes more often than winter clothes. In fact, I wore autumn clothes for most of the winter. You can see climate change very clearly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Here in London this winter has been absolutely terrible from a cold and snow perspective. 

We had one day with falling snow, which was on 27th Feb. We saw a few hours of light to moderate wet snow with zero accumulations. Dire. 

We’ve also had very little frost and plenty of unsettled weather. 

A truly awful winter. Looking forward to some Spring and Summer warmth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
10 hours ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

What winter?

Snatched away by Autumn!

Feeling glad about the possibility of a build in pressure over the UK next week on the models. And maybe some warmer, brighter conditions. Just have the High building far enough North to become a mid-latitude block, without ending up in a place to bring in lots of cloud off the North Sea, and deflate Low Pressure well away to the North of the UK. The cloud and rain has been a nuisance. It so needs a loooooooong nap. 

Posted
34 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Snatched away by Autumn!

Feeling glad about the possibility of a build in pressure over the UK next week on the models. And maybe some warmer, brighter conditions. Just have the High building far enough North to become a mid-latitude block, without ending up in a place to bring in lots of cloud off the North Sea, and deflate Low Pressure well away to the North of the UK. The cloud and rain has been a nuisance. It so needs a loooooooong nap. 

I really hope we don't get stuck with a cloudy summer.

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

I really hope we don't get stuck with a cloudy summer.

Me too. Would be such torture after what this Winter has done. 

Posted
3 hours ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Me too. Would be such torture after what this Winter has done. 

I can see it as a possibility though, with only a few weeks of warm sunny weather. The rest of the summer being a cloud fest of warm and cooler interludes. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I can see it as a possibility though, with only a few weeks of warm sunny weather. The rest of the summer being a cloud fest of warm and cooler interludes. 

That probably wouldn’t be too surprising to be honest. I think a repeat of the 2018 Summer (as much as I would love that again - but a slightly cooler version) seems unlikely. Will be amazed if we get a repeat this year, although that Summer was certainly extraordinary. 

Posted
11 hours ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

That probably wouldn’t be too surprising to be honest. I think a repeat of the 2018 Summer (as much as I would love that again - but a slightly cooler version) seems unlikely. Will be amazed if we get a repeat this year, although that Summer was certainly extraordinary. 

We will get one again, but it probably won't happen for another 4-5 years.

The last summers where i remembered endless days of sun was probably 2003, 2006(bar the poor august) and more recently 2013. 

• Like 1