1. 1. How was this Winter for you?

• Out of this world!
    • Fab
    • Very good
    • Good
    • Yeah, it was okay
    • Quite rubbish
    • Terrible
    • What ya talkin’ about? There was NO Winter!
    • Yes, I really liked this Autumn... (sarcasm)
    • Huh! Who needs the snow anyway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

In your opinion, what did you think of this Winter? 

I think for a lot of people, this will be a Winter you’ll want to forget as fast as a flash of lightning. Winter 2019/2020 is one that could really make a cold or dry weather fan wanna scream. For me, it was very depressing! Snow didn’t bother to pay a visit. In fact, while the last week of February produced a wintry mix of weather, didn’t really have any days that had more than just falling sleet. Except the odd shower or two that sorta borderlined wet snow briefly. This is probably the first Winter as well with no settling snow, which is really really bad for here. 

A lack of sunny, dry, weather (especially of the mild kind), don’t feel has helped. Constant wet weather all the time curbing the mood! 

To be fair though, what is classed as a good or bad Winter for someone will vary from person to person. Some preferring mild weather. Others preferring something snowy. However, because of all the rain and flooding that has occurred, the real absence of snow and the lack of any proper dry weather (apart from the odd spell or two), this Winter would get a 1.75/10.

Just relieved it’s March now. Nice to hopefully look forward to some warmer weather, but still would welcome a decent spell of snow while there is still a chance. I know also, Winter may not technically be over for some people when the last possible cold spell has given up the ghost!  

Goodbye Winter 2019/2020. Don’t come back! Ever! 

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Making some changes
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

It was generally very dreary in the UK. 3 months of near constant rain and often windy, especially February. Didn’t help that most of Autumn was very similar. 

• Like 1

Posted

Under the circumstances it was good snowed every month and settled especially february.

But had to go to just OK because it was repetitive chart watching.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I don't call it good or bad, it is what it is for me.

Although temps were way above average, as well as rain and wind, I also recorded average sunshine hours.

Temp average was 7.8°C
MetOffice derived average for here is 5.7°C

Rain total was 492.4mm
MetOffice derived average for here is 250.3mm

Sunshine was 221.1 hours.
MetOffice derived average for here is 211.1 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

For me this Winter rates with one of if the worst in my lifetime. A total non event,a season which never evolved into anything.The rate this is happening now canonly point to one thing. Here's hoping for a nice cool normal UK summer to address the balance.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Here in Edmonton it was a very stable winter pattern...it only ever got extremely cold once (middle of Jan) for about a week...normal winter fair is for big swings between very cold and mild conditions..we never had any real mild weather or any really cold weather this winter...so it was pretty much around average or slight below all winter long..IMO that's because of the way the polar vortex set up this year..here the jet was running mostly just to the south of my location all winter..with the real cold a few hundred miles to the north and mild weather a few hundred miles to the south...the upshot is we ended up with more snow than normal due to the position of the jet.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Dreadful!...I've been recording winters since 1983/84 and it's the first one I haven't recorded an air frost. Similarities with the poor 2013/14 winter, almost as wet (February wetter), windy at times and milder than that winter. So it has to go down in the top 2 for poorness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

What we now have is "Forever Autumn" with little difference between seasons.  In my area summer '19 was a non event with a front parked over Merseyside for most of the time, followed by six months of grey skies together with endless wind and rain.  Although I don't like the cold, a few days of snow would give me something to look at and enjoy.  Hasn't helped my SAD which also occurred during our last sunless "summer".

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

average for 2000+ TMW, any kind of snow falling is a bonus nowadays away from Scotland/hills, winters don't exist anymore

Posted

Depressing  almost daily very heavy rain since last week of September, at least with the recent wind and stronger sun the moisture is being rapidly sucked out of the wet ground.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Who's the maniac who voted "good" ?? 

Who do you think, could only have be one green gremlin 

Edited by ArHu3

Posted

Neverending spells of wet greyness, l renamed it grimter.  February reminded me of what snow looked like. Grateful not to be caught up in the devastating floods.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Awful, in fact since late September its been a grey, damp/wet gloomfest. There are fields nearby which have been flooded since September, so much so, you could think they were a lake. 

End of November and 1st December was cold, bright and crisp = perfect; and technically 2 of those days weren't winter. Dry weather has been a rarity, and so has periods of sunshine.

As for February, where do you start? As I said in the regional thread, and borrowing from Blackadder 4; 'the crowning turd in the waterpipe'.

Posted

How does it compare with last winter well for lying snow we had 13 days this year also 13 days,december`s unexpected 2 inchs of snow helped too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Hopefully the payoff for an amazing summer coming up??!!x

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, weathergeek said:

Hopefully the payoff for an amazing summer coming up??!!x

I sincerely hope so, after 5 months of gloom, rain and wind a few months of warm sun would go down a treat. Throw in multiple severe thunderstorm outbreaks, of course

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

I sincerely hope so, after 5 months of gloom, rain and wind a few months of warm sun would go down a treat. Throw in multiple severe thunderstorm outbreaks, of course

I hope it’s a decent one, but I have a bad feeling it will be poor, but with the one advantage being more thundery activity.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It was better than 2013/14. There was one day where snow fall and there were dry and frosty spells. Unlike the above winter which was an endless train of rain and wind (oddly Feb 2014 was spared infamy because the last week or so became more settled as the jet stream finally lifted northwards).

Posted
40 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Winter 19/20 was a stinker, but it still felt cold at times, probably due to all the wind and rain. It never felt really mild either.

I disagree with this, there were lots of mild feeling days around these parts. Also a few with the elusive combination of sunshine and mild temps- particularly in December and January.

There were hardly any cold mornings around these parts at all. Only 4 air frosts in the entire winter recorded at Manchester Airport- which is actually a fairly frost-prone location. It's low lying, flat and it's inland in a semi-rural location. I imagine areas nearer the coast have been totally frost free all winter. Exceptional really. It has also been virtually snow free in Manchester as well.

That said, the last few weeks have been extremely wet and windy which may lead people to believe it hasn't been particularly mild.

Edited by Scorcher