Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Jorge named by AEMET (spain)

Jo Farrow

Posted
1 hour ago, Zak M said:

Just did some research and some Spanish people pronounce it like that, it can either be 'Hor-Hay' too.

We pronounce it Hore Hay,but regional pronunciations vary hugely. 

• Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, Gael_Force said:

Thought the idea behind naming was to get the name on hashtag to increase public awareness via social media. If the UK has a protocol and list of names the public expect, introducing a name from another country list is likely to cause confusion and defeat the purpose.

Totally agree! I'm peeved that naming storms now seems to be a matter of who can get in first. If a storm is going to affect the UK, name it as per the list which has been drawn up for that purpose ie 'Ellen' next, and blow (pardon the pun) what other countries name it. As it is, we have a storm whose name we don't seem to be able to pronounce properly, which could have a significant effect on parts of the UK which are still feeling the effects of Storm Dennis. Ugh! 

• Like 5

Posted
15 hours ago, Gael_Force said:

Thought the idea behind naming was to get the name on hashtag to increase public awareness via social media. If the UK has a protocol and list of names the public expect, introducing a name from another country list is likely to cause confusion and defeat the purpose.

I'm not sure it's such an issue. Most non-weathery type people won't neseccarily be aware of the upcoming storm names in any case. Plus of course, Ellen has been named about 10 times already in the tabloids and by one or two apparently reputable weather sites etc, so using that will be equally if not more confusing if and when the time comes. 

I think the Met Office and Met Eireann would do well not to publish the list of storm names in advance in future, that'd solve the pre-naming issue that we get. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Paul said:

I'm not sure it's such an issue. Most non-weathery type people won't neseccarily be aware of the upcoming storm names in any case. Plus of course, Ellen has been named about 10 times already in the tabloids and by one or two apparently reputable weather sites etc, so using that will be equally if not more confusing if and when the time comes. 

I think the Met Office and Met Eireann would do well not to publish the list of storm names in advance in future, that'd solve the pre-naming issue that we get. 

So what's the point of it all then, Paul?:unsure2:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
38 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

They’ll be aware of the storm once it’s been named but they don’t need a list of potential names in advance.

19 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:
feb27jorgelow3.png
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

More wet and windy weather this weekend from a deepening low pressure. Spanish Met service got in first with the naming so it is Jorge not Ellen. There are more warnings.

Bit more than that 

If you read my post I was talking about why Spain have named it, theres not a lot of impact for them, and even if you include France the same applies.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
13 minutes ago, sjw2511 said:

If you read my post I was talking about why Spain have named it, theres not a lot of impact for them, and even if you include France the same applies.

That low below our storm under goes rapid cyclogenisis and does impact them, it starts as a wave in our storm. It seems they have named the parent, not just their little feature, it will impact France to no doubt. 

• Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, General Cluster said:

The named storms do tend to have an positive impact in terms of awareness of the potential for severe / disruptive weather, at least when it's used correctly and the storms are named in good time etc. The last couple have been decent examples of the system doing what it's meant to do. 

• Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

That low below our storm under goes rapid cyclogenisis and does impact them, it starts as a wave in our storm. It seems they have named the parent, not just their little feature, it will impact France to no doubt. 

Yup, they have named the parent and not the child. Looking at the Fax charts, is the child really that deep a depression likely to cause damage, it doesn't look that way? One has to wonder why they have named a storm whose centre is hundreds of miles away ,and is not in direct line to cause damage..

• Like 1

Posted

Gah. I came here to catch up on what this storm is about and all I get is 2 pages of chat about naming storms and how to pronounce it. ...! No news today it looks so can't be that bad this time.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Gah. I came here to catch up on what this storm is about and all I get is 2 pages of chat about naming storms and how to pronounce it. ...! No news today it looks so can't be that bad this time.

Beka, sorry about that, as it happens it is suggested that you are unlikely to see (according to the MetO) much effect from HORHAY..

h_lnxvxlqrdqb2kyrixw3lmmul7n-abrzjuzyvzd
CUTT.LY

Met Office UK weather warnings for rain, snow, wind, fog and ice. Choose your location to keep up to date with local weather warnings.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Yup, they have named the parent and not the child. Looking at the Fax charts, is the child really that deep a depression likely to cause damage, it doesn't look that way? One has to wonder why they have named a storm whose centre is hundreds of miles away ,and is not in direct line to cause damage..

We know what rapid cyclogenisis can do, and how quickly, it could be a big issue from them. And lots of rain for us yet again. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

The met warnings on Saturday look a mess to say the least, anyone who wasn't familiar with their site wouldn't have a clue what that meant as half of them are overlapping each other and you can't even see boundaries without zooming in. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've just noticed something regarding the wind warning for here, tomorrow. It's from 12pm tomorrow to 12pm on Sunday. However, the wind speeds will be at their strongest in the next 6 hours, after that, they drop away quite a bit when the warning comes in to force. Have they made a serious mistake?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

we have a sting jet folks ! - Giuseppe Petricca on twitter

Edited by stevofunnelcl
  • Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I've just noticed something regarding the wind warning for here, tomorrow. It's from 12pm tomorrow to 12pm on Sunday. However, the wind speeds will be at their strongest in the next 6 hours, after that, they drop away quite a bit when the warning comes in to force. Have they made a serious mistake?

Looks too me the strongest winds widely will be Saturday night into Sunday morning, it will definately be gusty across western coasts but we are used to that by now though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Looks too me the strongest winds widely will be Saturday night into Sunday morning, it will definately be gusty across western coasts but we are used to that by now though. 

Not for here.

No warning:

829730427_Screenshot_20200229-004729_MetOffice.thumb.png.863d16f2f75bc987e873b9e7fa0b4923.png

Wind warning:

1890048228_Screenshot_20200229-004746_MetOffice.thumb.png.a7f1f8b1daf53b7ab1b3a32a86a261b6.png

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, stevofunnelcl said:

we have a sting jet folks ! - Giuseppe Petricca on twitter

And it looks like the tail is in northern Spain, guess they were right. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
4 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

Do I see a squall line in the making, heading NE?

East rather north east didn't do anything here as it was just forming.

GFS downgraded the wind speeds quite a bit. Not forecast to be stormy here with the strongest winds further north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Perhaps next Storm Season, all Western European Met Agencies with an Atlantic coastline, could consult first when compiling a list of Storm names. That would include Iceland and Norway. They could all sing from the same Hymn Sheet, then.

Talking of singing, we could have a Western Eurovision Storm Contest. No doubt Iceland would win every time.

How about Storm BJORK, for starters (Btw young lady, it wasn't "OH SO QUIET", overnight).

Our letterbox and wheelie bin, were having a torrid time here in Lee, much to the annoyance of my good lady, trying to sleep before a 12 Hour shift at a Residential Care Home.

And as for CycloGENESIS (sic), Spain's decision to name Ellen, Jorge, has resulted in a "LAND OF CONFUSION", "with not enough Storms to go round." Apologies to Tony Banks, Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford, for plagiarising their lyrics.

The S.E. London jury would like to award Espana NULS Points, for singing out of tune!!

Cold Front just gone through here, in S.E.London.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

• Like 4

Posted

I'm on the Dublin-Holyhead ferry, got away just in time I think! Forecasting a force 6 at Holyhead by the time we arrive, much worse later.

IMG_20200229_090137.thumb.jpg.c069638274fd24728b083175b08eb3e4.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Look at that deadly swirl 

sat24.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
On 28/02/2020 at 10:23, sjw2511 said:

I did read your post, it says "It's hardly effecting them at all, maybe a bit of rain thats it."  and I said "A bit more than that"

They have had yellow and orange warnings for Wind , large waves which are ongoing this weekend affecting the NW and rain/snow into Monday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Ireland on Red warning for wind in western counties this afternoon.

Weather radar 

app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tv.netweather.netweatherradar&hl=en_GB

on website https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

feb29jorgewarnpressure.png

feb29jorgeradar2.png

• Like 1