Sign in to follow this  
TomSE12

CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL WEEK COMPETITION

I will now begin a new Thread entitled - CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL WEEK COMPETITION.

As an introduction to the Thread, I 'd like to share a few anecdotes with you about my experiences at the Cheltenham Festival.

Cheltenham Festival Week has by fay and away been my favourite Week, in the Racing Calendar.

From the moment my Father asked me to pick out 2 Horses at the Festival, back in March 1967, I've been "hooked". I was Eleven at the time.

Those two Horses have a lot to answer for, SAUCY KIT (won Champion Hurdle) and SAN ANGELO (won Grand Annual Chase). Dad put a 2 Shillings (10p) Each Way Double, on the pair. Dad won over £20, quite a bit of money in 1967. Don't think I saw too much of it though. Perhaps, just a few sweets. But from then on"punting wise", it was always going to be "downhill."

After joining Croydon Credit Bookmaker Sunderlands,I was fortunate to be asked to work at the Cheltenham Festival in 1989 and 1990.

Despite relentless rain, sleet and Morning snow in March 1989, the Gold Cup Day went ahead after a Midday inspection. When myself and two colleagues left our Hotel at Chadlington in Oxon, about a half an hours drive from Cheltenham Racecourse, there was a couple of inches of snow on the ground. We never thought the Meeting would survive but although they'd had some settling snow in the Morning, the Racecourse is low lying and the snow soon melted. But that Afternoon was to be the coldest I'd ever felt, on a Racecourse.

The legendary DESERT ORCHID won the Gold Cup that Afternoon.

Dessies' Trainer, David Elsworth and Joint Owner Simon Burridge (a Credit Client of ours), came up to the Hospitality Box I was working in ("looking after" our Credit Clients), to parade the Gold Cup, after the Greys' victory.

I will now Post up a YouTube clip of Desert Orchids' hard fought win over Yahoo, on very heavy going.

If you look closely, you can see snow sitting on the slopes of Cleeve Hill and the Cotswolds, in the background:

A very gutsy performance from "Dessie", to outstay the mud-loving Yahoo and a memory I will treasure until my dying Day.

The following Year, I was asked to work at the Cheltenham Festival again and "Dessie" was fancied to retain his Gold Cup Crown. But it wasn't to be and an outsider, NORTONS' COINS, spoilt the Grey's Day. 

It turned out to be a poor Result for Sunderlands, and this article, which I helped write for the Racing Post, explains why. It was written as a tribute to my Boss, Pat Densham, on the occasion of his 90th Birthday. I'm the Tom, mentioned in the article but the Racing Post spelt my Surname wrong!! :oldangry: See link below:

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Bookmaking+legend+and+true+gentleman%3B+Jim+Cremin+profiles+Pat...-a0285004328

Below, is a photo of my old Boss (on the left as you look at the photo), probably presenting a cheque to the Owner of a Horse that won the Imperial Cup at Sandown, a Race that Sunderlands used to sponsor.

image.thumb.png.ee1e6eaa4f4b2ead2aa481dd1fac73f7.png

If memory serves, Sunderlands were the first Bookmaker to sponsor this famous Race and offer a Bonus to the connections of the Winner, if the Horse also won any Race, at the Cheltenham Festival. 

More anecdotes on that, in my next Post.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi: 🏇

• Like 1

Remember the 1989 Gold Cup very well. Delayed a while that day because of the weather if i remember rightly. Managed to get out of work early, ran to the Ladbrokes shop near my office and watched Dessie win, with me jumping up and down like a proverbial lunatic in the bookies, in my 'John Motson' sheepskin coat. A tenner placed on the nose, with others in the bookies probably thinking i'd had a grand on him!🤣

Used to go to GC day on a jolly boys coach from local pub late 80s/early 90s; then the landlord one year decided not to bother, so me and mates went on the train following years. Arriving at 9.30am, straight to a Cheltenham pub, brekkie and a pint of guinness. To the course for midday, into the Guinness village, then start placing bets. See More Business was a particular highlight. Cheltenham town after racing, then home on late train. We usually left a few of our lot in Cheltenham, who would go off to a club, to catch a shared taxi back to Bristol.

Yes, heady days, couldnt do it now though; havent got staying power for all-dayer. More importantly, serious and successful gambling at Cheltenham festival doesnt go well with copious pints of beer. I much prefer to stay at home for all 4 days, where last few years have been quite successful. Plus, the prices for entry there have got ridiculous in recent years.

• Like 2

As I stated in my first Post, Sunderlands were one of the first Bookmakers, to sponsor the prestigious Imperial Cup.

As a marketing ploy, the Management decided to offer a £50K Bonus to the connections of a Horse to win the Imperial Cup and any Race, at the Cheltenham Festival. It certainly got the company a lot of publicity in the Racing Press but at the same time took a serious hit, to their profits, due entirely to the very wily Devon handler - 

image.png.f8491c60ab82a355cb6cc8d228adfc61.pngMartin Pipe and his Son, David -  image.thumb.png.ecf210dac069e9052e00a65d113d9947.png 

Three times, the Pipes took Sunderlands, to the cleaners (no pun intended) and relieved the Company, of their very generous Bonus. Olympian (M.Pipe) (1993) Coral Cup, Blowing Wind (M.Pipe) (1998) County Hurdle and, Gaspara (D.Pipe) (2007) Fred Winter Hurdle.

I can remember scouring the declarations for Sandown/Cheltenham Festival with my colleagues, trying to spot the next Pipe plot!!

As well as the Bonus, these three Horses cost Sunderlands a pretty packet with their individual wins at Sandown, and at the Cheltenham Festival. But both Pat Densham and Son Martin (my Credit Office Boss, in Croydon), took the loss on the chin and realised it was a tremendous bit of P.R, for the Company. 

Both Pat and Martin were large, imposing characters but their "bark was worse than their bite" and they were "generous to a fault." Both myself and my two children (ANTONYBR7 and his Sister, Hayley), who also worked for us, benefitted from their generosity. 

When Results were favourable during the busy Festival Meetings (Cheltenham, Royal Ascot and Goodwood), we would more than likely find a welcoming Bonus, on our Pay Packets, Also, a very nice Christmas Bonus, if we'd had a good Year.

Sunderlands were a fantastic Bookmakers to work for and in their "heyday" were the largest independent Credit Bookmaker, outside of the "Big three", of Corals, Hills and Ladbrokes.

Later on Today, I will begin Posting up some additional Categories, for the Competition.

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

I will now Post up Betting Odds in the first 3 additional Categories, which are in the FESTIVAL SPECIALS section, of the CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL COMPETITION.You will be allocated £5 in each of the 3 Categories. Make one Selection in each Category.

Your Selections for all 3 Categories MUST be Posted on this Thread by, 9 PM on Monday 9th March. 

Please Copy/Paste Your Selections into the Selection Boxes provided, at the end of this Post.

CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL COMPETITION WEEK

FESTIVAL SPECIALS

CATEGORY 1                         LEADING JOCKEY

JOCKEY                                         ODDS

Paul TOWNEND                                          2/1

Davy RUSSELL                                          3/1

Barry GERAGHTY                                          6/1

Rachel BLACKMORE                                        13/2

Nico de BOINVILLE                                        10/1

Robbie POWER                                       14/1

Mark WALSH                                        25/1

Harry COBDEN                                       33/1

Daryl JACOB                                      33/1

Richard JOHNSON                                      33/1  

50/1 Bar These.  

WIN ONLY.      

CATEGORY 2                          LEADING TRAINER  

TRAINER                                               ODDS 

Willie MULLINS                                         10/11

Gordon ELLIOTT                                            5/2

Nicky HENDERSON                                           9/2

Henry de BROMHEAD                                           6/1

Colin TIZZARD                                        33/1

Paul NICHOLLS                                         40/1

WIN ONLY.

CATEGORY 3       NUMBER OF 🇮🇪IRISH TRAINED WINNERS

NUMBER                                                  ODDS

Fifteen to Eighteen                                             8/11

Eleven to Fourteen                                             15/8

Nineteen or More                                               6/1

Ten or Less                                             14/1

WIN ONLY.

Please Copy/Paste Your Selections into the Selection Boxes provided below.

Your Selections for all 3 Categories MUST be Posted on this Thread by, 9 PM on Monday 9th March. 

Thank you.

CATEGORY 1: LEADING JOCKEY: 

Stake: £5 WIN ONLY.

CATEGORY 2: LEADING TRAINER: 

CATEGORY 3: NUMBER OF 🇮🇪IRISH TRAINED WINNERS: 

Regards,

Tom.    :hi: 🏇

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

I will now start to Post up some more additional Categories, in the form of Doubles and Trixies. I'll begin with Category 4 - The FESTIVAL BLUE RIBAND TRIXIE. This will comprise of LEG 1 - The Champion Hurdle (Tues.10th).      LEG 2 - The Queen Mother Champion Chase (Weds.11th), and LEG 3 - The Cheltenham Gold Cup. (Fri.13th).  

I will spread Category 4, over three Posts. At the end of the third Post (LEG 3), will be a Selection Chart to Copy/Paste your Selections into.

You will be allocated "Virtual" Stakes of £2, in 3 x 25p EACH WAY Doubles, and 1 x 25p EACH WAY Treble. There will be NO WIN Stakes accepted, for Category 4. 

Below, is a Betting Guide and Racing Post link to the Current Declarations for LEG 1 -  The Champion Hurdle

Category 4            FESTIVAL BLUE RIBAND TRIXIE

LEG 1                              CHAMPION HURDLE

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/11/cheltenham/2020-03-10/743569/

HORSE                                                  ODDS

image.png.50b77d5077694891e8eda7ed18be0eb1.pngEPATANTE                                           11/4

image.png.92e8eb37e171f3c2fbfbb01ec1b55fdc.pngPENTLAND HILLS                                            9/2

image.png.a907df90efc3abd7fc5c3ac062dd78e3.pngHONEYSUCKLE                                            5/1

image.png.f045ae980447b9427267003f3a3956a1.pngENVOI ALLEN                                           11/2

image.png.d77a48f111372b418fae49ae683c5b2b.pngSUPASUNDAE                                           11/1

(White)DARVER STAR                                           12/1

image.png.550aab651470f62dc2f9713917ef0a7a.pngSHARJAH                                           12/1

image.png.47fb51af86890691811d118bcd98746d.pngTHOMAS DARBY                                           14/1

image.png.76aefe0b370ab1506e21ab3017d87316.pngBALLYANDY                                           16/1

image.png.04fa02a98b370777130b913037e4d35c.pngFUSIL RAFFLES                                           16/1

20/1 BAR THESE.

OTHERS ON REQUEST.

1/4 Odds. 1,2,3.

In a short while, I will Post up a Betting Guide and Racing Post link to the Current Declarations for LEG 2 -                    The Queen Mother Champion Chase.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:  🏇

• Like 1

Below, is a Betting Guide and Racing Post link to the Current Declarations for LEG 2, of Category 4 -                        The FESTIVAL BLUE RIBAND TRIXIE.

LEG 2                           QUEEN MOTHER CHAMPION CHASE

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/11/cheltenham/2020-03-11/743606/

HORSE                                                                    ODDS

image.png.50de693529217e5c659653ad9fadf229.pngALTIOR                                                             2/1

image.png.be5707102d15ecd336036f58aaaa58e3.pngDEFI DU SEUIL                                                            9/4

image.png.9a55d45bf5d8733ed34215645389b543.pngCHACUN POUR SOI                                                             5/2

image.png.4058d12467c9224dcfcc59f6738a5f8e.pngA PLUS TARD                                                            8/1

(White)CILAOS EMERY                                                          12/1

image.png.5dc9eef36fa427260a7e877e690d4d31.pngMIN                                                          12/1

25/1 BAR THESE.

OTHERS ON REQUEST.

1/4 Odds. 1,2,3.

In a short while, I will Post up a Betting Guide and Racing Post link to the Current Declarations for LEG 3 -                             The Cheltenham Gold Cup, and a Selection Chart to Copy/Paste your Selections into.

Regards,

Tom.    :hi:🏇 

• Like 1

Below, is a Betting Guide and Racing Post link to the Current Declarations for LEG 3, of Category 4 -                        The FESTIVAL BLUE RIBAND TRIXIE, plus a Selection Chart to Copy/Paste your Selections into.

A Betting Guide and Racing Post link to LEG 1 - the Champion Hurdle and LEG 2 - the Queen Mother Champion Chase, you will find contained in the previous two Posts.

You will be allocated "Virtual" Stakes of £2, in 3 x 25p EACH WAY Doubles, and 1 x 25p EACH WAY Treble. There will be NO WIN Stakes accepted, for Category 4. Please Copy/Paste your Selections into the Chart provided, at the end of this Post. Your Selections for your FESTIVAL BLUE RIBAND TRIXIES, MUST be Posted on this Thread, by NOON Tues.10th March.

Thank you.

LEG 3                                          CHELTENHAM  GOLD CUP

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/11/cheltenham/2020-03-13/743616/

HORSE                                                                 ODDS

image.png.ecccc3e35159db63e815d832708a64b0.pngSANTINI                                                    100/30

image.png.93850da899cd08952357c839a6c1ab4a.pngAL BOUM PHOTO                                                         7/2

image.png.65d336aad66618b535daa3f564b45c5c.pngDELTA WORK                                                         6/1

image.png.e4b12a61d64a22b6d782c45d932fde1b.pngLOSTINTRANSLATION                                                         7/1

image.png.284471c9b367b91a312990853360dbb8.pngCLAN DES OBEAUX                                                        8/1

(White)KEMBOY                                                        8/1

image.png.4a5b37b6486a32baaeabaeeeeda5534b.pngPRESENTING PERCY                                                     10/1

(White)MONALEE                                                     25/1

33/1 BAR THESE.

OTHERS ON REQUEST.

1/4 Odds. 1,2,3.    

Selections for your FESTIVAL BLUE RIBAND TRIXIES, MUST be Posted on this Thread, by NOON Tues.10th March.   Please Copy/Paste your Selections into the Chart provided, below: 

CATEGORY 4  - FESTIVAL BLUE RIBAND TRIXIE

LEG 1: Champion Hurdle (Tues.10th) - Selection -  

LEG 2: Queen Mother Champion Chase (Weds.11th) - Selection -  

LEG 3: Cheltenham Gold Cup (Fri.13th) - Selection -  

STAKE - 3 x 25p EACH WAY Doubles, 1 x 25p EACH WAY Treble.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:🏇                 

• Like 1

CATEGORY 1: LEADING JOCKEY:     Barry GERAGHTY                 6/1                         

Stake: £5 WIN ONLY.

CATEGORY 2: LEADING TRAINER: Gordon ELLIOTT                                            5/2

CATEGORY 3: NUMBER OF IRISH TRAINED WINNERS: Fifteen to Eighteen                                             8/11

CATEGORY 4  - FESTIVAL BLUE RIBAND TRIXIE

LEG 1: Champion Hurdle (Tues.10th) - Selection -  ENVOI ALLEN

LEG 2: Queen Mother Champion Chase (Weds.11th) - Selection -  CHACUN POUR SOI        

LEG 3: Cheltenham Gold Cup (Fri.13th) - Selection -  AL BOUM PHOTO

STAKE - 3 x 25p EACH WAY Doubles, 1 x 25p EACH WAY Treble.

• Like 1

Will now Post up a few YouTube clips of some Cheltenham Festival Preview videos.

Hopefully they will help with finalising your predictions.

Starting with Lambourn Trainer Nicky Henderson, talking about his Cheltenham Festival prospects:

Now Warwickshire handler Dan Skelton, talking about his Cheltenham prospects: 

I'll Post up a few more of these previews before the Festival starts, including Paul Nicholls and the prospects of Irish Trainers, Willie Mullins and Gordon Elliott.

Regards,

• Like 1

Much thanks to Callum above ^^^^^^, I've entered those up.

In the Morning, I will Post up a "Menu" of the remaining additional Categories I want to include, in the Competition.

Every Year, when the Cheltenham Festival comes around, I feel like a "little Boy in a Sweetshop". So many "goodies"  to choose from, you don't know where to start.

Just want to give notice of another "Virtual" Wager, I want to "trial" at the Cheltenham Festival.

This will be the very popular, Tote Placepot.

On each of the four Days of the Cheltenham Festival you will be allocated an additional £3.20.

You will be asked to Select 2 Horses, in each of the 6 Races.

You will be placed on 64 x 5p Permed Placepots (2x2x2x2x2x2) = 64 x 5p = £3.20.

The Day before each of the 4 Days of the Festival, I will Post up a Selection Chart for your Permed Placepots.

The Bet was introduced many Years ago by, Tote Bookmakers.

Very briefly, the Format for your Permed Placepots, is as follows:

Select 2 Horses in each of the FIRST 6 Races, on each Day of the Cheltenham Festival. 

Your 2 Selections in each Race, MUST include any Horses you have chosen, in your Festival Doubles and Trixies.

Selections for your Permed Placepots MUST be Posted on this Thread by 1 PM, on each of the 4 Days, of the Festival.

More details of the Format/Rules for the Placepot and remaining additional Competition Categories, in the Morning.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi: 🏇

• Like 1

Evening all,

Below, is the "Menu" for further Categories, for the CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL COMPETITION.

CATEGORY 5: Festival Novices' Hurdle Trixie - (Supreme Novices' Hurdle (10th), Ballymore Novices' Hurdle (11th), Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle (13th). 

CATEGORY 6: Festival Handicap Trixie - (Ultima Handicap Chase (10th), Pertemps Final Handicap Hurdle (12th), County Handicap Hurdle (13th).

CATEGORY 7: Festival Amateur Riders' Trixie - (Kim Muir Handicap Chase (12th), Foxhunters'  Challenge Cup (13th), Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys Handicap Hurdle (13th).

CATEGORY 8: Festival 4 Year Old Double - (Boodles' Juvenile Handicap Hurdle (11th), JCB Triumph Hurdle (13th).  

CATEGORY 9: Festival Stayers' Double - (Cross Country Chase (11th), Stayers' Hurdle (12th).  

CATEGORY 10: Festival Chase Trixie - (Arkle Challenge Trophy (10th), R.S.A.Chase (11th), Ryanair Chase (12th).   

I will attempt to Post up one Category, on each of the next six Days.

In a short while, I will explain the Format for the Festival Placepot "Virtual" Wagers.

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12

Below, is an example of how to complete the "virtual" Wager Placepot, part of the Competition.

A Placepot is a specialised Wager, introduced by Tote Bookmakers. Your winnings are determined by how much is in the Tote Placepot "Pool", of Bets placed at the Racecourse, itself. Below, is a link to the Totes', Placepot Rules: 

http://placepot.tote-betting.net/rules.php

Indicate your 2 Selections, by Posting up the Race Number prefix, E.G. - Race 1 = 1, Race 2 = 2, Race 3 = 3, etc, etc. This is followed by the Race Card Number.

If you wish, you can indicate the Fav. (Returned S. P. Fav.) = Fav, or 2nd Fav. (Returned S. P. 2nd Fav.)

S.P. = Starting Price (The Odds of a Horse, once the Race has started). The Odds of a Horse are determined by a Racing Post Starting Price Reporter and is an average of Prices "laid", by the main Bookmakers, in the Betting Ring.

CHELTENHAM PLACEPOT

DAY 1

Tues.10th March

1.30 - Selections - Fav, 105.

2.10 - Selections - 218, 216

2.50 - Selections - 2nd Fav, 318.

3.30 - Selections - 411, 429.

4.10 - Selections - Fav, 512.

4.50 - Selections - Fav, 613.

STAKE - 64 x 5p Combination Permed Placepots (2x2x2x2x2x2 = 64) = £3.20.

**NB** - The Selections above are just an example and in no way are my predictions for Day 1, of the Festival. Racecard Nummbers will look very different, once the Final Declarations are known.

Tomorrow, I will Post up a Betting Guide and Racing Post links to additional CATEGORY 5: Festival Novices' Hurdle Trixie - (Supreme Novices' Hurdle (10th), Ballymore Novices' Hurdle (11th), Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle (13th).   

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

I will now start to Post up details of Category 5 - The FESTIVAL NOVICES' HURDLE TRIXIE. This will comprise of,                                              LEG 1 - The Supreme Novices' Hurdle (Tues.10th). LEG 2 - The Ballymore Novices' Hurdle (Weds.11th), and                                                                LEG 3 - The Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle. (Fri.13th).  

I will spread Category 5, over three Posts. At the end of the third Post (LEG 3), will be a Selection Chart to Copy/Paste your Selections into.

You will be allocated "Virtual" Stakes of £2, in 3 x 25p EACH WAY Doubles, and 1 x 25p EACH WAY Treble. There will be NO WIN Stakes accepted, for Category 5.

**NB** - As is the norm for the Cheltenham Festival, Horses are often entered in more than one Race. This is certainly the case with Category 5, with some Horses entered in at least two of the Legs. So be aware of this, when making your Selections. You may want to delay your Selections until the Weekend of 7th/8th March, when we should have a more definitive idea of the make up, of each Leg. 

Below, is a Betting Guide and Racing Post link to the Current Declarations for LEG 1 -  The Supreme Novices' Hurdle

CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL COMPETITION

Category 5           FESTIVAL NOVICES' HURDLE TRIXIE

LEG 1                         SUPREME NOVICES' HURDLE

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/11/cheltenham/2020-03-10/747838/                 

HORSE                                                               ODDS

image.png.f61075d724d89c396162712d5b248d13.pngSHISKIN                                                9/4

image.png.114526fbb37880a89edc9e10b72622c7.pngASTERION FORLONGE                                                5/1

image.png.110c577944e444f991c33f9be856164e.pngENVOI ALLEN                                                5/1

image.png.4f264acadda23e3f218c6111dfb94f11.pngABACADABRAS                                              11/2

image.png.a2e5bd1a090e34251bff9dd444cacc81.pngFIDDLERONTHEROOF                                               8/1

image.png.fa4c44586ae60e27455f8dd8b0986a49.pngCHANTRY HOUSE                                              10/1

(White)CAPTAIN GUINNESS                                              14/1

image.png.754fb26ba898e8e40dd6061a7b2626e5.pngSPORTING JOHN                                              14/1

image.png.3e99e91dfa1e97ba8650ef27547db534.pngALLART                                              20/1

image.png.6bf207896b8db31ce9aa31d703ecabe7.pngEDWARDSTONE                                             20/1

33/1 Bar These.

Others On Request.

Place Terms 1/4 Odds (1-5).

In a short while, I will Post up a Betting Guide and Racing Post link to the Current Declarations for LEG 2 -                    The Ballymore Novices' Hurdle.

Regards,

image.png

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Below, is a Betting Guide and Racing Post link to the Current Declarations for LEG 2,                    of Category 5 - The FESTIVAL NOVICES' HURDLE TRIXIE.

LEG 2                                    BALLYMORE NOVICES' HURDLE

WWW.RACINGPOST.COM

Ballymore Novices' Hurdle (Grade 1) (Registered As The Baring Bingham), 11th March 2020. 1:30 at Cheltenham, standard racecard from Racing Post.

HORSE                                              ODDS

image.png.abe75f7ca8088fd5fba70425fea674f7.pngENVOI ALLEN                                       10/11

image.png.7d1ec6c1250bcd6db409355b25c35c37.pngSPORTING JOHN                                           6/1

image.png.c8ea5fc16a1b616ea1dbf50d207b67c8.pngTHE BIG GETAWAY                                          7/1

image.png.db34c4d611734943be50196dc41708d6.pngTHYME HILL                                        15/2

image.png.b5e0cf20c7b00d6593d01e28c8594a39.pngASTERION FORLONGE                                          8/1

image.png.32e23c0d0399a0703455dbd5e27c37f8.pngTHE BIG BREAKAWAY                                          8/1

image.png.fd7af84811d5da579aa4ce717c05b585.pngCHANTRY HOUSE                                        12/1

(White)LATEST EXHIBITION                                        12/1

image.png.7c2d78a2268bcf28ae9859e2cc310524.pngSHISHKIN                                        12/1    

image.png.9329f8cdfa167e088b00b19504affca2.pngFIDDLERONTHEROOF                                        14/1

image.png.e6a7da35cf6b6d40480fe18aa0a6b74d.pngHARRY SENIOR                                        20/1

image.png.8b3bada6932aebc2a4de40340b205b0e.pngLONGHOUSE POET                                       20/1

image.png.9481b117696d6030c117d9a383c65175.pngEASYWORK                                       20/1

33/1 Bar These.

Others On Request.

In a short while, I will Post up a Betting Guide and Racing Post link to the Current Declarations for LEG 3 - The Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle, and a Selection Chart to Copy/Paste your Selections into.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:🏇     

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Below, is a Betting Guide and Racing Post link to the Current Declarations for LEG 3, of Category 5 -                               The FESTIVAL NOVICES' HURDLE TRIXIE, plus a Selection Chart to Copy/Paste your Selections into.

A Betting Guide and Racing Post link to LEG 1 - The Supreme Novices' Hurdle and,                                                            LEG 2 - The Ballymore Novices' Hurdle, you will find contained in the previous two Posts.

You will be allocated "Virtual" Stakes of £2, in 3 x 25p EACH WAY Doubles, and 1 x 25p EACH WAY Treble. There will be NO WIN Stakes accepted, for Category 5. Please Copy/Paste your Selections into the Chart provided, at the end of this Post. Your Selections for your FESTIVAL NOVICES' HURDLE TRIXIES, MUST be Posted on this Thread, by NOON Tues.10th March.

**NB** - As is the norm for the Cheltenham Festival, Horses are often entered in more than one Race. This is certainly the case with Category 5, with some Horses entered in at least two of the Legs. So be aware of this, when making your Selections. You may want to delay your Selections until the Weekend of 7th/8th March, when we should have a more definitive idea of the make up, of each Leg. 

Thank you.

LEG 3                                   ALBERT BARTLETT NOVICES' HURDLE

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/11/cheltenham/2020-03-13/747843/

HORSE                                            ODDS

image.png.ca3e50a49b630c65e088c66c4c089e60.pngTHYME HILL                                  9/2

image.png.5739d0ee5511951faf3a072c559c9c4a.pngMONKFISH                                  5/1

(White)LATEST EXHIBITION                                 6/1

image.png.abe15e857dc36623bbd2c9996b950dec.pngHARRY SENIOR                               10/1

image.png.079e6fa1f67208977518af117b9f0216.pngRAMSES DE TEILEE                               12/1

image.png.274db043493466271a59d33bfc19e7fd.pngTHE BIG BREAKAWAY                               12/1

image.png.7afc81d0bc30e4bf7176789353994125.pngDIOL KER                               16/1

image.png.4bb9a26f2a6496215f3df2c86d40548b.pngFURY ROAD                               16/1

image.png.09f6a80a151e2ce1b8eae74e74660bca.pngLONGHOUSE POET                               16/1

(White)LORD ROYAL                              16/1

20/1 Bar These.

Others On Request.

Selections for your FESTIVALNOVICES' HURDLE TRIXIES, MUST be Posted on this Thread, by NOON Tues.10th March.   Please Copy/Paste your Selections into the Chart provided, below: 

CATEGORY 5  - FESTIVAL NOVICES' HURDLE TRIXIE

LEG 1: Supreme Novices' Hurdle (Tues.10th) - Selection -  

LEG 2: Ballymore Novices' Hurdle (Weds.11th) - Selection -  

LEG 3: Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle (Fri.13th) - Selection -  

STAKE - 3 x 25p EACH WAY Doubles, 1 x 25p EACH WAY Treble.

Regards,

• Like 1

Tomorrow, I will Post up details of Category 6: The FESTIVAL HANDICAP TRIXIE - (Ultima Handicap Chase (10th), Pertemps Final Handicap Hurdle (12th), County Handicap Hurdle (13th)).

Regards,

• Like 1

CATEGORY 5  - FESTIVAL NOVICES' HURDLE TRIXIE

LEG 1: Supreme Novices' Hurdle (Tues.10th) - Selection -  Envoi Allen

LEG 2: Ballymore Novices' Hurdle (Weds.11th) - Selection -  Harry Senior

LEG 3: Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle (Fri.13th) - Selection -  Escaria Ten

STAKE - 3 x 25p EACH WAY Doubles, 1 x 25p EACH WAY Treble.

Betfair are giving odds of 4/11 that the festival takes place it's currently 23/10 to be called off due to coronavirus

WWW.GLOUCESTERSHIRELIVE.CO.UK

Racegoers are watching nervously for the latest on how Coronavirus could affect Cheltenham Festival 2020, with odds now slashed on the likelihood of racing at Cheltenham being cancelled. We will...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Betfair are giving odds of 4/11 that the festival takes place it's currently 23/10 to be called off due to coronavirus

spacer.png

Racegoers are watching nervously for the latest on how Coronavirus could affect Cheltenham Festival 2020, with odds now slashed on the likelihood of racing at Cheltenham being cancelled. We will...

Thanks for that latest news, S.S.

I suppose any large gathering of a crowd at a major Sporting event will be at risk, of cancellation.

I was just about to Post up details of another additional Category but I'll hold fire, for the time being.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:  🏇 

• Like 1

The chances of Cheltenham getting called off have increased 14% overnight to 41%

The festival is now 11/8 with the bookies to be called off.

Racegoers are keeping their fingers crossed for the latest on how Coronavirus could impact Cheltenham Festival 2020 as odds are slashed again on whether racing at Cheltenham Racecourse is cancelled

• Like 1

As we are aware, the Cheltenham Festival is under threat of cancellation, due to the Coronavirus

Hopefully the Meeting will go ahead but it very much remains in the balance.

As a tasty Hors D'oeuvres to the Festival, I want to begin the Competition with the 6 Live Races, to be shown on ITV4, featuring the Imperial Cup Handicap Hurdle. I will Post up the Racing Post links to the Final Declarations for these Races, later on in the Week. By that time, we should have a decision as to whether the Cheltenham Festival can go ahead as planned, or perhaps be Postponed to a later Date.

Below, is a link to the latest Coronavirus news, regarding the Cheltenham Festival:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/odds-on-cheltenham-going-ahead-shorten-as-pm-says-its-business-as-usual/425740

Cheltenham do have Meetings scheduled for, 15th/16th April.

I agree with Trainer Nicky Henderson, that the BHA (British Horse Racing Authority), should make every attempt to reschedule the Festival to a later Date, in the event of the March Festival being cancelled.

I'm sure a window could be found, at those April Meetings, for at least the three feature Races of the Festival - CHAMPION HURDLE, CHAMPION CHASE and GOLD CUP, to be run then, should the Coronavirus situation have improved, by then. 

Below, are the 6 Races I've chosen to start the Competition with:

CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL WEEK COMPETITION

SAT.7th MAR

SANDOWN

1.20: Selection -

1.55: Selection -

2.20: Selection 1. -             2. -             3. - 

3.05: Selection - 

WOLVERHAMPTON

1.35: Selection -

2.45: Selection -

In a short while, I will Post up some more YouTube clips of Cheltenham Festival Previews. Hopefully, they will prove helpful in aiding you choosing your Selections.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi: 🏇

• Like 1

i shall hold off making any selections

While we await the decision on whether or not the Cheltenham Festival 2020 can go ahead, thought I would Post up a few more YouTube Clips of Festival Previews. Hopefully they assist you.in making your Selections.

I'll start with some Previews of the Day 1 action, featuring the Supreme Novices' Hurdle and Champion Hurdle.

These Previews were "Hosted" by a Staff Member, of Star Sports Bookmakers. The Panel includes Champion Jockey, Richard "Dickie" Johnson and leading Irish Jockey, the very droll Davy Russell.

Star Sports are probably the largest "layers", in the Betting Ring. A former Colleague of mine at Sunderlands, went to work for Star Sports, who are based in Brighton. His name was Glen and he joint "Hosted" all the Fantasy Competitions with me, at Sunderlands. It was a great help having him onboard, as he was much more IT literate than myself.

And now a Preview of the Supreme Novices' Hurdle on Day 1, with a Racing Post link to the Current Declarations:

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/11/cheltenham/2020-03-10/747838/

Now the same Panel, with their thoughts on the Day 1 feature, the Champion Hurdle and  link to Current Declarations:

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/11/cheltenham/2020-03-10/743569

Tomorrow Morning, I will Post up some more YouTube clips of Cheltenham Festival 2020 Previews, including the thoughts on the prospects of, "Irish Raiders".

Regards,

• Like 1

Another Bookmaker sponsored Preview, this time from Dublin, focusing on the prospects of Irish Trained Horses:

Now Matt Chapman talks to Trainers Philip Hobbs (DEFI DU SEUIL), Nigel Twiston-Davies, Paul Nicholls, Olly Murphy,  Jonjo O'Neill, Ben Pauling, Warren Greatorex, Kim Bailey and Alan King, about the Festival prospects for their Horses: 

And now 5 Horses, at decent Odds:

Over the next few Days, I'll Post up some more YouTube clips of Festival Previews.

I'll end this Post with a couple of Racing Post articles about the Coronavirus and its impacts on the Festival:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/coronavirus-and-racing-will-the-cheltenham-festival-be-affected/425227

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/odds-on-cheltenham-going-ahead-shorten-as-pm-says-its-business-as-usual/425740

On Thursday or Friday, I will Post up the Racing Post links to the 6 Races to be shown Live on ITV4, from Sandown Park and Wolverhampton. These Race will begin the CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL WEEK COMPETITION.

Regards,

I'd now like to Post up some of my own favourite memories of the Cheltenham Festival.

Below, is a clip of the 1974 Champion Hurdle. I was nineteen at the time and a Week later I entered the Bookmaking Industry with South London Credit Bookmakers, James Lane:

LANZAROTE became one of my favourite Horses but sadly a few Years later had to be put down, after breaking a leg in the Cheltenham Gold Cup.

Now, probably the gamest performance I've seen in a Champion Hurdle, in 1979 the gallant little MONKSFIELD outfought the hugely talented SEA PIGEON

Below, IMO the finest Champion Hurdler of them all, ISTABRAQ.

Here he is winning his third consecutive Champion Hurdle, his fourth Cheltenham Festival, in total. In 1977 he'd won the Royal and Sun Alliance Novices' Hurdle (now the Supreme Novices' Hurdle).

He was "by" Champion Flat Sire, SADLERS WELLS and owned by J.P.McManus, in those Green and Gold Hoops. 

More favourite memories, later.

Regards,