Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
24 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

It would really help us all if you popped your town in so we can see where you are. It helps make posts more interesting.

Thank you for that

Posted
2 hours ago, qwertyK said:

Definitely, but Hadley seems to think we are running 1.6C above average? Whilst Metchrck is about 0.3C. all the warm spells were limited to the Midlands and the Northwest. Max temp down here was 16C, and that day was windy wet and cloudy so felt more like 12C.

This month has also lacked any anomalously warm night temps. Last two months due to wind some temps were as high as 10 or 11C overnight. Highest night temp this month was 10C and only one of those. Certainly this march feels cold

Yes it’s been noticeable how cold or very cold the nights have been for March. Usually I would associate March with the start of milder evens, while still feeling chilly, but not freezing cold. Still the warm nights don’t really start to appear until we move through April. That’s the month we usually see a change from nights feeling winter-like to more spring -like in feel.

Posted

First sign of warmer weather htis week, Sunday high of 17C and 18c on Monday. TWO reporting some parts of the sotuh may see highs of 21C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
21 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

First sign of warmer weather htis week, Sunday high of 17C and 18c on Monday. TWO reporting some parts of the sotuh may see highs of 21C

going the other way here..first week of April and temps dropping below -25c  another big dump of snow today tomorrow into Wednesday..this is why spring is my least favourite season here by a country mile

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Winter made a return here in Prague with some heavy snow showers and a dusting yesterday morning. Cold by day despite sunny spells in between the showers and sub zero by night, though by this time next week it could hit 20°C. Lovely  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Not much to complain about here. Rainfall has been average at 62mm. Sunshine has been way above average with 161.8 hours - that's the same as June last year. Temps are running 0.7°C above the Met Office derived average for this area - 7.8°C. All good!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Posted
6 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

As I sadly suspected, though I thought at least May would be warm. Maybe we can just hope for an Indian summer . Still, at least some warm weather next week and this weekend

Edited by qwertyK
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I wonder where 1975 and 1989 fit into that? Me suspects a selective data-set TBH...

And, what exactly was awful about August 1997?

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, General Cluster said:

I wonder where 1975 and 1989 fit into that? Me suspects a selective data-set TBH...

It was humid and cloudy, with a hot spell mixed in. 1997 wasn’t a great summer from how I remember it. It was just warm, but also cloudy for long periods, which is just as bad as cool and cloudy. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
5 hours ago, General Cluster said:

Don’t shoot the messenger well given the “winter” we had and the current situation around the world anything is possible  personally I would take something similar to last years thunderstorms here though I think it will be a while before it is matched / beat especially the 5 month streak of thunder at least once each month from April - August.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
6 hours ago, qwertyK said:

As I sadly suspected, though I thought at least May would be warm. Maybe we can just hope for an Indian summer . Still, at least some warm weather next week and this weekend

It's a good thing that pattern matching generally doesn't work. I don't think any of us have any idea what summer will be like yet.

Anyway - today's weather, utter rubbish, but it's only April 1st.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

1997 was a decent summer (2nd hottest August on record)..as was 2019 i thought

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

1997 was a decent summer (2nd hottest August on record)..as was 2019 i thought

2019's August was wet and cool, like most August's, barring a few days of 30C+ weather in eastern parts of the country. 2019 summer wasn't actually as hot as many thought

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

2019's August was wet and cool, like most August's, barring a few days of 30C+ weather in eastern parts of the country. 2019 summer wasn't actually as hot as many thought

Most of last August's cool wet weather was of course predominantly between the 09th and 19th. Up until then it was warm and often sunny with a few showers around, and after that it was also warm or very warm. So it also wasn't as bad as many think.

It was actually on a par with August 2018 here, which although drier, went gradually more downhill as the month wore on.

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

i spent the last 2 weeks of August in the UK (Devon) was dry and warm..and hot over the bank holiday weekend ..i did not experience any cool wet weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

I think August 2019 was better than most recent Augusts, could've been much worse, it was certainly better than that June! Looking at my recordings we only had 2 days below 20°C (14th and 16th) and this is when the majority of the month's rain, looking at observation station data, fell.

The period of the 23rd to the 27th was very warm and it reached 30°C twice here.

The mean max was 23.1°C and the mean minimum was 12.7°C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
44 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i spent the last 2 weeks of August in the UK (Devon) was dry and warm..and hot over the bank holiday weekend ..i did not experience any cool wet weather.

But you seem to forget that quertyK spends most of the summer months holidaying on Pluto, CM?

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

It was cool and wet earlier in the month. 

Summer 19 had some decent spells, but it was mostly confined to late June, 2 or so weeks in July with that hot weather and the second half of August. In between all of that, it was fairly dull or cold at times. 

June 2019 was quite dismal at times, in between the sunnier days.

Posted
1 hour ago, CheesepuffScott said:

I think August 2019 was better than most recent Augusts, could've been much worse, it was certainly better than that June! Looking at my recordings we only had 2 days below 20°C (14th and 16th) and this is when the majority of the month's rain, looking at observation station data, fell.

The period of the 23rd to the 27th was very warm and it reached 30°C twice here.

The mean max was 23.1°C and the mean minimum was 12.7°C

I will agree the latter part of August was a good period of summer weather. We were staying at a spa and used to outdoor pool on that bank holiday weekend. 

I do remember quite a few cloudy days throughout the summer though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
17 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

1997 was a warm summer was it not? Particularly August which was the 2nd warmest on record if I recall.

Last year was certainly warm too. August 2019 was nice overall, the middle third was cool and cloudy but the first and final thirds were excellent, especially since the hottest weather perfectly coincided with the bank holiday weekend. July was nice too even excluding the very hot final week. Only June was poor.

2011 was pants but I’ll happily take another 1997 or 2019, please and thank you!

Edited by cheese

Posted
35 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It was cool and wet earlier in the month. 

Summer 19 had some decent spells, but it was mostly confined to late June, 2 or so weeks in July with that hot weather and the second half of August. In between all of that, it was fairly dull or cold at times. 

June 2019 was quite dismal at times, in between the sunnier days.

Tim Legg, of the Met Office’s National Climate Information Centre, provides more detail. He said: “Overall Summer 2019 was the twelfth warmest on record since 1910 across the UK

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Tim Legg, of the Met Office’s National Climate Information Centre, provides more detail. He said: “Overall Summer 2019 was the twelfth warmest on record since 1910 across the UK

Warm doesn’t necessarily mean good though.

Summer 1981 was cool overall, and yet it had a better August and sunnier one than most recent ones. 

Although, July and June of that summer were poor. 

Summer 2018 was far superior in every sense of the word, it was sunnier for a start, despite the second half of August coming off poor. 

A repeat of 1997 no thanks. I would rather a summer like 2005, where it was sunny, despite feeling cooler at times. We need a decent August for a change.

Posted

here is London weather for summer 1997..apart from June looks decent

June - Very wet, dull and with temperatures close to normal.�

�Mean Temperature�15.9 �C��

�Monthly highest�25.9�C��Total Rain�137 mm

�Monthly Lowest�7.8�C�Total Sun�152 hrs

In this extremely wet month there were no completely dry days after the 13th. More than 27mm of rain fell on the 16th, pea-sized hail accompanied a severe thunderstorm on the 22nd when over 21mm of rain fell, and there was a total of 5 days when rainfall exceeded 10mm. . A few warm days occurred early in the month with the temperature rising above 25�C. on 3 days�and the extensive cloud cover helped in producing warmer than average nights, However, after the 18th the temperature failed to rise above 20�C., and the maximum on the 27th was only 13.3�C.
��
July - Dry and sunny but rather cool.�

�Mean Temperature�18.2 �C��

�Monthly highest�27.6�C��Total Rain�34 mm

�Monthly Lowest�8.8�C�Total Sun�241 hrs

The first 4 days of the month were very cool and showery, and on the 3rd the maximum temperature was 16.9�C., �but after that it was mostly pleasantly warm with maxima�between 23 and 25�C. on 14 occasions, and only less than 20�C. on 2 occasions. It was�a fairly dry month, with less thunder than usual, and rainfall above 1mm only occurred on 5 days. On the 26th, 17mm of rain fell..

August -� Warm and wet with above average sunshine.

�Mean Temperature�20.7 �C��

�Monthly highest�31.1�C��Total Rain�80 mm

�Monthly Lowest�8.9�C�Total Sun�194 hrs

Apart from the last week, the month was mostly very warm or hot. On the 8th, 10th and 19th the maximum temperature was around� 31�C., with a maximum of 31.1�C. It was humid, too, �with several uncomfortably warm nights. On the 27th, the high was only 19.4�C., the only day of the month when the temperature failed to reach 20�C. Thunderstorms occurred on 5 days, and heavy rain produced over 27mm on the 6th and nearly 16mm on the 27th.

• Like 1