Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

I've got £50 of my hypothetical money says it won't, as for March being wet yes remember that and the start of April must of been unsettled too but the chart for May 2018 rainfall is a bit baffling, near normal, really?...can't remember much precipitation where I lived at all and a lot of sunshine.

I wonder how accurate these MetO maps are? I know where I live is near to the driest place in the UK (St Osyth) and at times wonder if we have our own micro-climate particularly when it comes to rainfall. 

You also get more sunshine that london and anyone further west. 

I remember being in clacton in May 1995, and some days were cold and dull, but we had a few days of sunnier weather. I spoke to a few friends when I returned to london, and they told me it was dull the whole time I was away.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

I remember thunderstorms/torrential downpours broke out down that way during May? Maybe that’s why the rainfall maps show what they do? 

4A2744AC-7865-41DC-B581-8A03F814422A.thumb.gif.b24d2364308079991b0ffec3bdf3adbc.gif

I think what one remembers from past weather years/months is usually slightly different from what actually happened.  

Personally I would say the Met Office maps are accurate and our best tool for actual information/stats/facts.

We had some severe thunderstorms in the evening and overnight on Saturday May 25th 2018. It was quite a thundery period on and off for a few days.

London got hit a few times by localised storms on the Bank holiday and Tuesday during the day. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Perception is often driven by the number of rain days more than the amount so while my memory too is of May 18 being very dry, that only tells us that it did not rain much when I was outside.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot
22 hours ago, mb018538 said:

You may as well ignore that particular poster. He only really moans it’s not cold enough in the winter, then just appears for 3-4 months in summer to complain about how terrible and hot 20c+ is before disappearing again. Clockwork.

Well some people love the cold and hate the heat.  Plus, it's generally easier to warm up in cold weather than cool down in warm weather, especially in the UK since so few of us have aircon.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Sir Mim said:

Well some people love the cold and hate the heat.  Plus, it's generally easier to warm up in cold weather than cool down in warm weather, especially in the UK since so few of us have aircon.

I would disagree with that. I’ve had days where I feel cold, and find it difficult to warm up, even with layers. I still had to use the heating a week ago in my flat, because it was cold. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
24 minutes ago, Sir Mim said:

The reason nobody has aircon is because it’s only usually hot enough to need it a few times a year! If people were that worried about it then they’d ditch their cigarettes, booze, fancy phones, cars and holidays or whatever they indulge in and get some form of AC installed. You can get a portable one for a couple of hundred quid to do the job.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Ferocious wind out there for May 22nd! 

The trees are taking a battering here. ?️

mayjan.thumb.png.db09d7498c36a8aad145d4fb24fe8e2b.png

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

The reason nobody has aircon is because it’s only usually hot enough to need it a few times a year! If people were that worried about it then they’d ditch their cigarettes, booze, fancy phones, cars and holidays or whatever they indulge in and get some form of AC installed. You can get a portable one for a couple of hundred quid to do the job.

Did you even read what I wrote in my post?  

I said "...it's generally easier to warm up in cold weather than cool down in warm weather, especially in the UK since so few of us have aircon."  Your post in no way contradicts what I said.

Edited by Sir Mim
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Sir Mim said:

Did you even read what I wrote in my post?  

I said "...it's generally easier to warm up in cold weather than cool down in warm weather, especially in the UK since so few of us have aircon."  Your post in no way contradicts what I said.

My point was that people have the tools to warm up in the cold - ie thick clothes, central heating and the like. It’s their own fault if they don’t make any provision for warm or hot weather if it causes that big of a problem. It’s a classic British trait - moan about something, then do nothing about it to correct it

I was saying it’s not that difficult to manage the few spells of hot weather we get per year in this country if you actually try. People just don’t, and sit there and whinge.

Posted
40 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

My point was that people have the tools to warm up in the cold - ie thick clothes, central heating and the like. It’s their own fault if they don’t make any provision for warm or hot weather if it causes that big of a problem. It’s a classic British trait - moan about something, then do nothing about it to correct it

I was saying it’s not that difficult to manage the few spells of hot weather we get per year in this country if you actually try. People just don’t, and sit there and whinge.

Thank you!

We don’t get that much hot weather compared to cold or cooler weather in this country, despite a warming climate. I would say more than half the year people use the heating in their houses, flats, and or still wear a jumper at times, even during cool summer weather.

Take 2019 for example, we only had a couple of weeks where it felt uncomfortably hot.

2018 was the only summer where it probably felt unbearable for most people, and yet, it was still enjoyable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
4 hours ago, Sir Mim said:

Very well said. We all have differences in how we cope with weather. Some on here seem to ignore that fact

• Like 2

Posted

34 minutes ago, markyo said:

Very well said. We all have differences in how we cope with weather. Some on here seem to ignore that fact

Irony overload is strong here...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
4 hours ago, mb018538 said:

I can't afford aircon, and I don't cope well with warm weather, so please don't lecture others.

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, mb018538 said:

The way things are currently perhaps the subscription to NW should be top of the list 8)

Posted
5 minutes ago, knocker said:

The way things are currently perhaps the subscription to NW should be top of the list 8)

Quite. Anyway, there’s a handy function on the forums that can make life on here more tolerable. It’s a ‘move back under bridge’ button. Magic!

• Like 1

Posted

I must be one of the selected few who prefers low pressure systems delivering wind and rain as opposed to high pressure dominating for weeks upon end. 

Personally I can’t stand high temperatures as they are often hot, sticky and humid in this country. No fun in the day or at night. 

• Like 7

Posted
15 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

I must be one of the selected few who prefers low pressure systems delivering wind and rain as opposed to high pressure dominating for weeks upon end. 

Personally I can’t stand high temperatures as they are often hot, sticky and humid in this country. No fun in the day or at night. 

my favourite weather = low pressure with loads of wind + rain 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C
16 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

I quite agree!

Posted

I enjoyed the hot and sunny weather during the middle of the week. Yesterday was ok, but not a fan of too much wind, as it makes things feel cold at times. 

That being said, it’s nice to have a few breezy days on and off between hot periods, so long as the windy days are in small doses.

Hate it when we get several weeks of windy weather, which is usually accompanied by cloud.

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

I enjoy sun so I do like my high pressure and mid twenties heat between March and June but I'm with you for summer. Much preferred July/August 07/11 to 18/19.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
23 hours ago, markyo said:

Indeed.  We ought not make others feel guilty for their preferences, but, equally, it does get a bit annoying to read things like "we'll be pleased by these model outputs that show 4 million degree temperatures" as though the poster is entirely unaware that not everyone likes the same thing, or, worse, that somehow they think that Netweather is an Orwellian dystopia in which, if we are told that we all like something, WE WILL ALL LIKE IT OR ELSE.  Mod thread ATM is heading in this direction at present with complains regarding a single GFS output showing transitory low pressure for around a fortnight's time suggesting that, if it verified, it would be bad news.  I'm aware that the standard Netweather response to any counter-argument is "we have enough rain in winter, so let me enjoy the heat and sun", but this shows the degree to which our society has become urbanised and divorced from the land and from nature - farming would be next to impossible if we had zero rainfall anywhere in the country from say, late April until late September.  Livestock cannot graze where there is no grass left, wheat cannot grow without rainfall, summer vegetables and soft fruits just die.  Thundery rain, as suggested by that GFS output for early June is as much a part of the British summer as hot sunshine.  It therefore isn't a matter of preference, but rather of necessity.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 4

Posted
29 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Indeed.  We ought not make others feel guilty for their preferences, but, equally, it does get a bit annoying to read things like "we'll be pleased by these model outputs that show 4 million degree temperatures" as though the poster is entirely unaware that not everyone likes the same thing, or, worse, that somehow they think that Netweather is an Orwellian dystopia in which, if we are told that we all like something, WE WILL ALL LIKE IT OR ELSE.  Mod thread ATM is heading in this direction at present with complains regarding a single GFS output showing transitory low pressure for around a fortnight's time suggesting that, if it verified, it would be bad news.  I'm aware that the standard Netweather response to any counter-argument is "we have enough rain in winter, so let me enjoy the heat and sun", but this shows the degree to which our society has become urbanised and divorced from the land and from nature - farming would be next to impossible if we had zero rainfall anywhere in the country from say, late April until late September.  Livestock cannot graze where there is no grass left, wheat cannot grow without rainfall, summer vegetables and soft fruits just die.  Thundery rain, as suggested by that GFS output for early June is as much a part of the British summer as hot sunshine.  It therefore isn't a matter of preference, but rather of necessity.

It’s exactly the same but x100 just in reverse in the winter?! The model thread is  full of people wanting it to be -10 and snowing every day, with single ensemble charts from day 13 of every run posted all day for 4 months solid. The argument being that it’s hardly ever bitterly cold, so it’s fine, even though severe winter cold does more damage to the UK than any other weather.

Doesn't bother me personally as I like both, but people have very selective memories at times. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It’s exactly the same but x100 just in reverse in the winter?! The model thread is  full of people wanting it to be -10 and snowing every day, with single ensemble charts from day 13 of every run posted all day for 4 months solid. The argument being that it’s hardly ever bitterly cold, so it’s fine, even though severe winter cold does more damage to the UK than any other weather.

Doesn't bother me personally as I like both, but people have very selective memories at times. 

Indeed, and it's just as illogical then!

• Like 2