Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Horsham
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
  • Location: Horsham
    On 17/04/2020 at 19:21, B87 said:

    Was March really that dry? Heathrow recorded about 43mm of rain. The long term average is 42mm. Just because it all occurred in the first 2 weeks, with another 2 weeks of dry weather, doesn't make it a dry month.

    E+W 58.4 mm according to HadUKP, which ranks it 125 out of 255 in the records going back to 1766. That is below the 1981-2010 average of 71.5 mm, although that climatology does include the incredibly wet March of 1981 (second wettest in the HadUKP record).

    Edited by al78
    wrong data
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    It’s quite laughable people in the MOD are complaining of a few below average days forecast with the threat of a little bit of rain. After being spoilt for weeks of above average temperatures, su

    These warm vs cool/cold and guilt tripping posts need to stop. I'm tired of this rubbish happening every single year, around this time. Some of you are using this thread as an excuse to throw out a ba

    Is it really necessary to keep going over and over this every year? Quite frankly, i'm sick of it. It has been repeated so many times, but yes, this is a weather forum. Members are interested in all a

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: Horsham
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
  • Location: Horsham
    On 14/04/2020 at 13:26, Scorcher said:

    The comparison between April 2010 and this month doesn't really stack up for me...only the sunshine is similar really.

    This month has been much, much warmer so far- on a different planet in many ways.

    Heathrow didn't reach 22C once in the whole of April 2010 and only 3 days reached 20C. Away from the SE many places didn't even reach 20C.

    I agree. In 2010 it seemed to take forever to properly warm up. 2010 was the year of northerly northerly northerly NORTHERLY wind week after week after week. I remember it for two reasons. Firstly, it was regularly a slog cycling in a NWly direction to work (10 miles) through spring, headwind after headwind after headwind. Secondly, flights were disrupted by ash from the Iceland volcano, again, thanks to the wind persistently blowing from that direction.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
  • Location: Leeds

    Another day with clear blue skies, ridiculous how sunny this spring has been. Also only about 3-4mm of rain in the past 30 days.

    We had 29mm in March vs the average of 45mm. 

    Edited by cheese
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Brentwood, Essex
  • Location: Brentwood, Essex
    4 minutes ago, cheese said:

    Another day with clear blue skies, ridiculous how sunny this spring has been. Also only about 3-4mm of rain in the past 30 days.

    We has 29mm in March vs the average of 45mm. 

    Next week's temps here in the low twenties and high teens, cloudy and cool for Monday and warmer but still cloudy on Tuesday. Whatever happened to April showers?

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire
  • Location: Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire
    2 minutes ago, cheese said:

    Another day with clear blue skies, ridiculous how sunny this spring has been. Also only about 3-4mm in the past 30 days.

    We've had just 20.2mm in March and April combined so far with only 4.0mm of that coming this month. Theres little forecast either.

    Sunshine-wise we've just topped 120hrs so we're only around 30hrs short of the monthly average. I'd say we're looking good for a 200+hrs April and that's after March which already saw over 150% average sunshine.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Czech Republic
  • Location: Czech Republic

    Central Europe is really heading towards disaster. Another year with no rain, just relentless sun.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Tottenham, N London
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, dry summers
  • Location: Tottenham, N London

    Glorious spring weather this week! ☀️?

    A rare sight of an almost cloudless Great Britain - particularly the east coast!

    woomg.thumb.png.2f3357c240c4f526fda90ee9b353a39d.png

    Edited by Stabilo19
    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
    1 hour ago, cheese said:

    Another day with clear blue skies, ridiculous how sunny this spring has been. Also only about 3-4mm of rain in the past 30 days.

    We had 29mm in March vs the average of 45mm. 

    I was going to post the same thing. I’ve been amazed how many clear or virtually clear days there have been. It’s one thing getting a nice April, but to get it with clear skies is amazing. We must know our luck is in, a strong easterly isn’t even bringing in any cloud either!

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Manchester
  • Location: Manchester
    2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

    I was going to post the same thing. I’ve been amazed how many clear or virtually clear days there have been. It’s one thing getting a nice April, but to get it with clear skies is amazing. We must know our luck is in, a strong easterly isn’t even bringing in any cloud either!

    It seems to me that this month is the April equivalent of May 2018 in these parts- remarkably sunny and also so many virtually cloudless days.

    May 2018 was quite an easterly month so I know it wasn't quite as good in the east.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
  • Location: Leeds
    25 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

    It seems to me that this month is the April equivalent of May 2018 in these parts- remarkably sunny and also so many virtually cloudless days.

    May 2018 was quite an easterly month so I know it wasn't quite as good in the east.

    May 2018 very sunny here too. The Met Office maps show a big blob of >170% average sunshine over Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield.

    Edited by cheese
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Manchester
  • Location: Manchester
    49 minutes ago, cheese said:

    May 2018 very sunny here too. The Met Office maps show a big blob of >170% average sunshine over Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield.

    May 2018 was remarkable in these parts- here is the sunshine graph for the month at Rostherne near Manchester Airport (with the first two days missed off).

    klibild?WMO=03351&ZEITRAUM=04&ZEIT=31052

    This month so far (and late March):

    klibild?WMO=03351&ZEITRAUM=04&ZEIT=18042

    I'm expecting to see a few more 12 hour plus days appearing this week.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire
  • Location: Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire

    May 2018 was the second sunniest month on record here with 280 hours, beaten only in 40 years by July 2006 (327 hours).

    It looks like this April will have a great chance of recording 200hrs or more here as we're already on 129hrs and have several sunny days ahead. If so it would join the following years:

    2011: 231hrs
    2015: 229hrs
    2002: 218hrs
    2007: 213hrs
    1984: 212hrs
    1990: 207hrs

     

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Manchester
  • Location: Manchester
    36 minutes ago, reef said:

    May 2018 was the second sunniest month on record here with 280 hours, beaten only in 40 years by July 2006 (327 hours).

    It looks like this April will have a great chance of recording 200hrs or more here as we're already on 129hrs and have several sunny days ahead. If so it would join the following years:

    2011: 231hrs
    2015: 229hrs
    2002: 218hrs
    2007: 213hrs
    1984: 212hrs
    1990: 207hrs

     

    Interesting how much sunnier April 2011 was than 2007- the thought often is that 2007 was a better month despite being relegated into second place by 2011 on the temperature front. Pretty amazing that 3 of those extremely sunny months have been in the last 13 years.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Irlam
  • Location: Irlam
    14 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

    Glorious spring weather this week! ☀️?

    A rare sight of an almost cloudless Great Britain - particularly the east coast!

    woomg.thumb.png.2f3357c240c4f526fda90ee9b353a39d.png

    Can see that line of cloud over the Irish Sea and parts of NW England  on my timelapse 

     

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire
  • Location: Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire
    13 hours ago, Scorcher said:

    Interesting how much sunnier April 2011 was than 2007- the thought often is that 2007 was a better month despite being relegated into second place by 2011 on the temperature front. Pretty amazing that 3 of those extremely sunny months have been in the last 13 years.

    Next on the list is actually 2019 with 199hrs. That means potentially 5 of the top 8 April's for sunshine will be in the last 13 years.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: London
  • Location: London
    4 hours ago, reef said:

    Next on the list is actually 2019 with 199hrs. That means potentially 5 of the top 8 April's for sunshine will be in the last 13 years.

    And how many dull Augusts have we experienced since 2006? I would say it’s quite a few.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hounslow, London
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
  • Location: Hounslow, London
    10 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

    And how many dull Augusts have we experienced since 2006? I would say it’s quite a few.

    The sunniest for me were 2016 and 2019, both recording 98% of average sunshine. It's been a nightmarish run.

    We had the 2nd and 3rd cloudiest Augusts on record here, in 2008 and 2010.

    Edited by B87
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
    5 minutes ago, B87 said:

    The sunniest for me were 2016 and 2019, both recording 98% of average sunshine. It's been a nightmarish run.

    We had the 2nd and 3rd cloudiest Augusts on record here, in 2008 and 2010.

    What abhorrent months - both of them! Each month only had one day with more than 10 hours sunshine here. August 2008 was more like an autumn month but some of the synoptics of 2010 wouldn't be out of place at this time of year with a fair bit of NW-NE influence.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hounslow, London
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
  • Location: Hounslow, London
    53 minutes ago, MP-R said:

    What abhorrent months - both of them! Each month only had one day with more than 10 hours sunshine here. August 2008 was more like an autumn month but some of the synoptics of 2010 wouldn't be out of place at this time of year with a fair bit of NW-NE influence.

    Here's the run of August sunshine since 2006. It doesn't make for good reading. Only 2013, 2016 and 2019 feeling anything like a normal August here.

    2006: 140.2 hours

    2007: 192.6 hours

    2008: 104.3 hours

    2009: 167.9 hours

    2010: 110.9 hours

    2011: 144.1 hours

    2012: 182.6 hours

    2013: 198.7 hours

    2014: 183.6 hours

    2015: 134.1 hours

    2016: 201.4 hours

    2017: 174.9 hours

    2018: 182.1 hours

    2019: 201.2 hours

     

    Will 2020 finally produce a sunny August?

    Edited by B87
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
  • Location: Leeds

    2019 was a sunnier than average August here, but it wasn’t the first such August since 2006. August 2007 was also sunnier than average, plus very dry which was a huge relief after the deluges of June and July. I believe August 2015 or 2016 was sunnier than average here too.

    Edited by cheese
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.

    What on earth has historic August weather got to do with Spring 2020?:cc_confused:

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire
  • Location: Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire
    2 hours ago, cheese said:

    2019 was a sunnier than average August here, but it wasn’t the first such August since 2006. August 2007 was also sunnier than average, plus very dry which was a huge relief after the deluges of June and July. I believe August 2015 or 2016 was sunnier than average here too.

    2019 was sunnier than average at Heathrow too (>110%), but he's still using the raw unadjusted figures (despite being told several times on here now) which haven't had the ~10-15% compensation added for when the site changed sunshine recorder type in 2006.

    image.thumb.png.fd134b3638d44b93945caa05ab16012b.png

    Still, this is the spring thread. 

    Another day of maximum sunshine today, so we'll be on 143hrs at the end of play, just 10hrs below the monthly average.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Brentwood, Essex
  • Location: Brentwood, Essex

    I'm wondering if the cloudless skies have been helped by the fact there is hardly any air traffic over Britain, or the world for that matter.

    Also the weather forecast, at least for where I am, appears to be very poor lately. It's forecasted a grey weekend and grey Monday , today was supposed to be cloudy with a high of 14C. Yet it has been sunny without a cloud in the sky and a high of 17C. Apparently weather forecasts may be less accurate due to less weather balloons in the air as a result of COVID?

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
    12 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

    I'm wondering if the cloudless skies have been helped by the fact there is hardly any air traffic over Britain, or the world for that matter.

    Also the weather forecast, at least for where I am, appears to be very poor lately. It's forecasted a grey weekend and grey Monday , today was supposed to be cloudy with a high of 14C. Yet it has been sunny without a cloud in the sky and a high of 17C. Apparently weather forecasts may be less accurate due to less weather balloons in the air as a result of COVID?

    Can I ask where you saw that forecast? I haven’t seen anything but clear skies forecast from any model or forecasting agency. Literally everything has been saying clear all the way.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Tottenham, N London
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, dry summers
  • Location: Tottenham, N London
    15 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

    I'm wondering if the cloudless skies have been helped by the fact there is hardly any air traffic over Britain, or the world for that matter.

    I think the sunny weather would be more as a result of high pressure with low humidity & several weeks of dry weather reducing ground moisture levels. I'm getting 2018 vibes - which was sunny (and dry) for weeks on end and there were plenty of planes flying then. 

    Edited by Stabilo19
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...