Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
43 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

here is London weather for summer 1997..apart from June looks decent

June - Very wet, dull and with temperatures close to normal.�

�Mean Temperature�15.9 �C��

�Monthly highest�25.9�C��Total Rain�137 mm

�Monthly Lowest�7.8�C�Total Sun�152 hrs

In this extremely wet month there were no completely dry days after the 13th. More than 27mm of rain fell on the 16th, pea-sized hail accompanied a severe thunderstorm on the 22nd when over 21mm of rain fell, and there was a total of 5 days when rainfall exceeded 10mm. . A few warm days occurred early in the month with the temperature rising above 25�C. on 3 days�and the extensive cloud cover helped in producing warmer than average nights, However, after the 18th the temperature failed to rise above 20�C., and the maximum on the 27th was only 13.3�C.
��
July - Dry and sunny but rather cool.�

�Mean Temperature�18.2 �C��

�Monthly highest�27.6�C��Total Rain�34 mm

�Monthly Lowest�8.8�C�Total Sun�241 hrs

The first 4 days of the month were very cool and showery, and on the 3rd the maximum temperature was 16.9�C., �but after that it was mostly pleasantly warm with maxima�between 23 and 25�C. on 14 occasions, and only less than 20�C. on 2 occasions. It was�a fairly dry month, with less thunder than usual, and rainfall above 1mm only occurred on 5 days. On the 26th, 17mm of rain fell..

August -� Warm and wet with above average sunshine.

�Mean Temperature�20.7 �C��

�Monthly highest�31.1�C��Total Rain�80 mm

�Monthly Lowest�8.9�C�Total Sun�194 hrs

Apart from the last week, the month was mostly very warm or hot. On the 8th, 10th and 19th the maximum temperature was around� 31�C., with a maximum of 31.1�C. It was humid, too, �with several uncomfortably warm nights. On the 27th, the high was only 19.4�C., the only day of the month when the temperature failed to reach 20�C. Thunderstorms occurred on 5 days, and heavy rain produced over 27mm on the 6th and nearly 16mm on the 27th.

I remember the humidity in August, and the overnight thunderstorms. 1997, and the previous year 1996 were good for one thing, the storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

First month of Spring was not too bad - plenty of sunshine and dry weather.

UK as a whole was 0.1 C above the long-term average. (0.3 below for Northern Ireland, 0.0 for Scotland, 0.1 above for Wales and 0.2 above for England)

1B2FC9A4-C450-483D-89B5-9CF0337149FA.thumb.png.ae889cf6880e815c8b24c36d0ed787e6.png1E3F6249-983C-4CE2-B516-AFCABEDD0B15.thumb.png.8f46d95ed128e9d4e5d955652d5aa08a.pngB1B01B5A-8220-412B-8CCC-5B04273EF272.thumb.png.fb3d098e398ec20fd7b5cd9ab57cbb16.png

All the above information taken from the Met Office blog below:

2020_3_meantemp_anomaly_1981-2010.gif
BLOG.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Meteorologically March has been a relatively average month, certainly when compared to the record-breaking wet February the UK has just seen. The first month of...

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
20 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

1997 was a decent summer (2nd hottest August on record)..as was 2019 i thought

I remember 1997, that was the first of three consecutive wet Junes, 1997 and 1998 recording over 100 mm of rain according to HadUKP (those two Junes were completely opposite strong ENSO phases). The following July's in those three years were much drier, then in August  it turned wet again (not in 1998 though). I was at Reading uni from late 1996-mid 1999 and I distinctly remember the tendency of having a nice May followed by an awful June.

Edited by al78

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Potentially the first 20°C of the year this Sunday - maybe around London or more north towards Cambridge or Lincoln? 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Stabilo19 said:

Potentially the first 20°C of the year this Sunday - maybe around London or more north towards Cambridge or Lincoln? 

London is only showing around 18 of 19C, I believe if will be more easterly like Norwich or maybe Peterborough, that general area 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
21 minutes ago, al78 said:

I remember 1997, that was the first of three consecutive wet Junes, 1997 and 1998 recording over 100 mm of rain according to HadUKP (those two Junes were completely opposite strong ENSO phases). The following July's in those three years were much drier, then in August  it turned wet again (not in 1998 though). I was at Reading uni from late 1996-mid 1999 and I distinctly remember the tendency of having a nice May followed by an awful June.

Only 1998 fit the bill of nice May. Both 1997 and 1999 were largely unsettled but also thundery which made them interesting. 

Weirdly, we have a lot of family videos from summer 1999 and those from June of various things are all sunny. It certainly wasn’t as bad as the previous two years.

Posted
42 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Only 1998 fit the bill of nice May. Both 1997 and 1999 were largely unsettled but also thundery which made them interesting. 

Weirdly, we have a lot of family videos from summer 1999 and those from June of various things are all sunny. It certainly wasn’t as bad as the previous two years.

1999 as I remember was a better summer overall, although June was on the poor side.

I remember the very thundery late May and early July periods. 

I left for Toronto on August 11th that summer, the day of the eclipse. I didn’t come back until March 2001, so summer 99 was ok until then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
On 01/04/2020 at 15:33, qwertyK said:

2019's August was wet and cool, like most August's, barring a few days of 30C+ weather in eastern parts of the country. 2019 summer wasn't actually as hot as many thought

Heathrow average summer highs and sun hours in 1997, 2011, 2019

June
1997: 20.2c, 151.6 hours
2011: 20.7c, 173.5 hours
2019: 21.8c, 170.1 hours

July
1997: 23.5c, 241.1 hours
2011: 21.7c, 173.6 hours
2019: 25.5c, 194.5 hours

August
1997: 25.8c, 194.2 hours
2011: 21.8c, 144.1 hours
2019: 25.2c, 201.2 hours

June looks to be cool and cloudy, July average temps with average sun, August warm and cloudy yet again.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

potentially the coldest April temp on record went here last night have to wait to see if early reports of sub -28c verify..previous record was -26.1c.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Isn’t North America amazing. I’m just rocking and rolling the uppers for the 12z UKMO. Look at Nebraska. 

57ED404E-18F2-4426-BA24-25A5140493E0.thumb.png.4b35702da95b22e46afa93493f3cc2c9.png

Goes from -1 daytime to 25c in 5 days. Happens a lot this time year. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Today's weather is absolutely horrible. I hope the "warmer" spell lasts for the entire rest of April.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

bbcwx.thumb.png.1e39cd99d28e43a80089472c019f5c92.png

Lovely spring weather coming up for London over the weekend and next week. BBC going for 20 on Sunday.. ☀️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Thundershine said:

Today's weather is absolutely horrible. I hope the "warmer" spell lasts for the entire rest of April.

I wouldn't exactly call it horrible. Bright spells, a temp of 11C and dry. Pretty standard for the first week in April really. If we reach 20C on Sunday it would be 8C above average at this point in the month.

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, reef said:

I wouldn't exactly call it horrible. Bright spells, a temp of 11C and dry. Pretty standard for the first week in April really. If we reach 20C on Sunday it would be 8C above average at this point in the month.

I’m not knocking it. I’ll be happy to see 19-20c now. 

i don’t mind the current weather, but I want to be able to wear a lighter jacket now, instead of winter stuff, and that’s something I’ve not been able to do with temps in the 12-14c range, mainly because of the wind. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

i don’t mind the current weather, but I want to be able to wear a lighter jacket now, instead of winter stuff, and that’s something I’ve not been able to do with temps in the 12-14c range, mainly because of the wind. 

Of course, it's looking lovely. It's just easy to forget its only the first week in April, the average maximum temperature at this point of the year even in one of the warmer places of the UK like London is only about 13C.

Edited by reef
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
5 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I can’t wait for warmer weather either, but I’m able to wear a T-shirt and shorts today in  the sunny spells even though it may be 13c not really that cold for me, however my garden is a sun trap with barely any wind, lovely sitting in with a beer as I’m one of the luckier ones able to 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
22 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

potentially the coldest April temp on record went here last night have to wait to see if early reports of sub -28c verify..previous record was -26.1c.

so the record did go...-27.0c was recorded somewhere between 5 and 6 am yesterday morning because it shows -26.4c at 5am and -26.5c at 6 am then -22.5c at 7am

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, reef said:

Of course, it's looking lovely. It's just easy to forget its only the first week in April, the average maximum temperature at this point of the year even in one of the warmer places of the UK like London is only about 13C.

Hmm I think the London average is actually a high of 15C and low of 7C in April

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 hours ago, Thundershine said:

won't matter, full quarantine coming from 14th

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, reef said:

Yeah same here, sunny spells and dry. A tad cooler than yesterday but not freezing by any means.

Posted
15 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Even if that’s true, most of us still have gardens.

Posted
58 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Hmm I think the London average is actually a high of 15C and low of 7C in April

AVERAGE APRIL TEMPERATURES IN LONDON

Daytime high temperatures tend to be about 12 C (in mid-50s F) early in April but will warm to about 5-16 C (60 F) by the end of the month with a few afternoons seeing temperatures at or above 21 c (70 F) ?

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, cheese said:

Even if that’s true, most of us still have gardens.

28 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

What?

Posted
13 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

AVERAGE APRIL TEMPERATURES IN LONDON

Daytime high temperatures tend to be about 12 C (in mid-50s F) early in April but will warm to about 5-16 C (60 F) by the end of the month with a few afternoons seeing temperatures at or above 21 c (70 F) ?

Quick search I Google suggests it's 15C . 12C seems very low considering average for where I am in April, about 20 miles east of London, is 13C. 12C is the high for march in London 

Posted
1 hour ago, qwertyK said:

Quick search I Google suggests it's 15C . 12C seems very low considering average for where I am in April, about 20 miles east of London, is 13C. 12C is the high for march in London 

For Heathrow it’s 11.3C for March and 14.2C for April. 12C for early April and 16C for late April seems believable.

Edited by cheese