Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

Nice drop of rain at the moment - more than I thought there would be.  It'll be nice to go to bed not feeling sweaty and irritable tonight.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
18 minutes ago, Sir Mim said:

Nice drop of rain at the moment - more than I thought there would be.  It'll be nice to go to bed not feeling sweaty and irritable tonight.

So will many....long time coming. Plus i can turn the air con off!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, B87 said:

Dec 2015 was actually a fairly dry month here, but incredibly cloudy.

The typical NW/SE more often seen in late summer and autumn! Here in the West Country it was on the wetter side but not exceptionally so with frequent light falls of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Not a drop of rain in Horsham, and the Met Office have cancelled the wet evening that had been forecast the last two days, so another evening of dumping 200 litres of water on my allotment.

No significant rain forecast for the next week, just a load of cool cloudy,dry, and completely useless weather. It is hard to cultivate UK crops in an arid climate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Some of the temperatures in the forecast (and right now - 11 degrees at 5PM) are pretty unbelievable actually. Highs of 10-13 degrees for a week. No thanks. I'd rather be forced to eat my own vomit. I'm OK with a bit of rain but not November like garbage in June.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
4 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Some of the temperatures in the forecast (and right now - 11 degrees at 5PM) are pretty unbelievable actually. Highs of 10-13 degrees for a week. No thanks. I'd rather be forced to eat my own vomit. I'm OK with a bit of rain but not November like garbage in June.

This feels like 1980 now. That June was vomit. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
23 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

This feels like 1980 now. That June was vomit. 

1990, 1991, 1995, 2013, 2016, 2019 all had pretty disgusting Junes, but the summers were not write offs.

Posted
21 minutes ago, B87 said:

1990, 1991, 1995, 2013, 2016, 2019 all had pretty disgusting Junes, but the summers were not write offs.

That’s right, although 1990 and 1995 had a decent second half of June. 1990 for some reason doesn’t stick my mind. I remember July and August being hot.

June 2013 was fairly pleasant in London, but it started off cold, after the chilly May. 2016 was mediocre. Just lots of humid cloudy days, which I don’t particularly care for, although the school holidays were quite sunny and warm that year. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Thundershine said:

Highs of 10-13 degrees for a week. No thanks. I'd rather be forced to eat my own vomit.

A tad over dramatic.....after 2 months of the best Spring weather on record!...Myself i'm not so much loving the drop in temp but the change of the feel of the weather,something different at last.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted

I will agree and admit, that a switch to cooler or dull weather for a few days or a week will mix things up. It’s when it outstays it’s welcome, I get a little starved for the sunshine.

We’ve been able to enjoy some long sunny evenings, and since 2017, the Mays have been fairly decent, with sunsets around 9.30 or 10pm and beyond on very sunny days.

A damp cool spell will make things more quiet around the parks. That’s one bonus. 

• Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

A damp cool spell will make things more quiet around the parks. That’s one bonus. 

Good point, in the current situation that can only be a good thing after what has happened at weekends, Fully understand what you mean regarding the current weather out staying its welcome..it is Summer after all!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, markyo said:

Good point, in the current situation that can only be a good thing after what has happened at weekends,

It wasn’t so bad in April, but since the early May bank holiday, it started to change. I think that was the weekend when it went from Stay home to Stay alert.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I for one am going to be enjoying the fact that we are actually have some weather with us again. Be good for farmers and gardeners too.
Though I do hope this doesn't go on for as long as the sunny and warm conditions went on for. No matter what the weather is doing, it becomes tiresome if it drags on and on.
If we had more variety in our weather and less blockings, then there would be a lot less people complaining. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 minute ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I for one am going to be enjoying the fact that we are actually have some weather with us again. Be good for farmers and gardeners too.
Though I do hope this doesn't go on for as long as the sunny and warm conditions went on for. No matter what the weather is doing, it becomes tiresome if it drags on and on.
If we had more variety in our weather and less blockings, then there would be a lot less people complaining. 

Yeah, totally agree. What happened to our traditional weather of "April showers" or "three fine days and then a thunderstorm"?

Our weather seems to come in blocks these days, perhaps it's down to climate change with the jet stream and througs and ridges getting stuck in the same positions for weeks on end.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

If the current weather lasted until mid August, I think that would be even worse than the long sunny spell we’ve just had. 

Posted

After a chilly and overcast damp feeling day the sun has come out and it's nice and cool and fresh.

I don't mind the cooler temps as long as we still get occasional sun. ☀️

Posted

Not sure about anyone else but I’d like it if our climate was like the central/northeastern US- hot summers with most precip coming from thunderstorms, and freezing winters with plenty of snow- a best of both worlds.

Certainly not a fan of endless cloud and drizzly frontal rain!

Posted
1 hour ago, Yarrum said:

Not sure about anyone else but I’d like it if our climate was like the central/northeastern US- hot summers with most precip coming from thunderstorms, and freezing winters with plenty of snow- a best of both worlds.

I would love it if we had toronto style weather, or Latvian climate. Both have better summers, and almost every year, there’s a guarantee of snow, even in a mild winter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 03/06/2020 at 15:13, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Cooler and cloudier in south Norfolk, but still dry, which is annoying.

On 03/06/2020 at 16:48, al78 said:

Not a drop of rain in Horsham, and the Met Office have cancelled the wet evening that had been forecast the last two days, so another evening of dumping 200 litres of water on my allotment.

No significant rain forecast for the next week, just a load of cool cloudy,dry, and completely useless weather. It is hard to cultivate UK crops in an arid climate.

I don’t mind cool and cloudy weather in summer, as long as it’s not too cool and there’s still some sunshine at times. In fact, cool and dry is one of my favourite weather types, esspecially in summer. We don’t get enough cool and dry weather imo, our summers these days are  usually either hot and dry or a washout. 

I think our last proper cool and dry dry summer month was June 2015. I enjoyed that month. Lots of cool, dry, comfortable and benign weather. Maybe I should move to the east coast, they seem to get a lot more cool and dry weather over there.

Perhaps we will get a cool and dry summer this year. It’s quite an unusual combination and I can’t remember the last time it happened - I seem to remember 2011 being quite a cool and dry summer but people say that summer was terrible but I don’t remember much rain during that summer.  I remember going to an outdoor wedding and it came on raining heavily but it brightened up afterwards. Just a short sharp shower. I also remember going on holiday to Norfolk in August 2011 and enjoying plenty of warm, dry and sunny (but not overly hot) weather. 

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted

Cloudy and chilly this morning but sunny intervals this afternoon and feeling warm in the sun and out of the wind, but still very cool out of the sun. Quite a nice afternoon to go for a walk, without getting too hot or dazzled and burned by the sun.

Last night I was able to go back to wearing full length pyjama bottoms instead of just boxers. And being able to wear the hoodies/jumpers instead of the shorts/t-shirts was also a nice change. Hopefully this cooler weather will continue for awhile.

Posted
19 hours ago, Yarrum said:

Neither am I, but I would happily take that over hot and humid conditions and extremely cold temperatures in winter. I much prefer a maritime climate. I find cool and breezy weather very refreshing.

Posted
17 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I don’t mind cool and cloudy weather in summer, as long as it’s not too cool and there’s still some sunshine at times. In fact, cool and dry is one of my favourite weather types, esspecially in summer. We don’t get enough cool and dry weather imo, our summers these days are  usually either hot and dry or a washout. 

I think our last proper cool and dry dry summer month was June 2015. I enjoyed that month. Lots of cool, dry, comfortable and benign weather. Maybe I should move to the east coast, they seem to get a lot more cool and dry weather over there.

Perhaps we will get a cool and dry summer this year. It’s quite an unusual combination and I can’t remember the last time it happened - I seem to remember 2011 being quite a cool and dry summer but people say that summer was terrible but I don’t remember much rain during that summer.  I remember going to an outdoor wedding and it came on raining heavily but it brightened up afterwards. Just a short sharp shower. I also remember going on holiday to Norfolk in August 2011 and enjoying plenty of warm, dry and sunny (but not overly hot) weather. 

July was fairly wet at times in the London area. You are right though, it was mainly dry and cool. I remember lots of cloudy days in July and August. 

The best weather that year was in April and May into early June. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Neither am I, but I would happily take that over hot and humid conditions and extremely cold temperatures in winter. I much prefer a maritime climate. I find cool and breezy weather very refreshing.

No. I prefer a continental climate, with colder winters, because you get more snow, frosts and also more chance of clear cold days. Summers can be hot and humid, but there’s always a guarantee of hot settled weather.

Our UK climate can sometimes be frustrating, when you get mild winters, followed by cool summers. 2006/07 winter followed by summer 2007, was possibly one of the most tedious and boring periods for weather.

It was either mild and cloudy, warm and wet, or cold and damp. Yuck!

• Like 1