Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
1 minute ago, Leo97t said:

Max temperatures wise I think it was 1st 

I think 2018 and 89 were warmer, but a little bit. 

We’ve not had any uncomfortable nights for sleeping so far. I remember May 1989 was hot humid and thundery towards the end, and May 18 was more or less the same, but nights were more humid towards the end, when the storms arrived.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
37 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Wet and damp conditions prevailed for much longer. We had weeks of cloudy weather before mid March, dry and wet periods. 

I agree! We needed a change mid March without a doubt. Its not Top Trumps following the weather, who's preferred weather wins. That's why there is so many arguments on here. We needed the pattern change in March, we needed a pattern change now. I know you won't like the change but like it or not we did need some rain. Its like if in Winter we had 2 months of frosts and snow,end of 2nd month we would be grateful of a change to warmer weather. 

Edited by markyo
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
44 minutes ago, B87 said:

I usually leave the forum in winter, Feb 2019 and Dec 2015 are my idea of dream winter months. I like warm and dry summers as well, but our average summers are usually warm and dry enough.

Yes although December 2015 was largely foul, it was interesting purely because of how unusual mild it was! In those days I was still an employee and my company had our Christmas party with windows open then we were drinking in the street at midnight!

I also liked Feb 2019 purely due to the heavy snowfall early on then beautiful springlike second half. We did pay for it in March though... Kinda similar to this March with a very Atlantic active first two thirds, then an anticyclonic sunny spell in the final third.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
8 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Yes although December 2015 was largely foul, it was interesting purely because of how unusual mild it was! In those days I was still an employee and my company had our Christmas party with windows open then we were drinking in the street at midnight!

Dec 2015 was actually a fairly dry month here, but incredibly cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
48 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think 2018 and 89 were warmer, but a little bit. 

We’ve not had any uncomfortable nights for sleeping so far. I remember May 1989 was hot humid and thundery towards the end, and May 18 was more or less the same, but nights were more humid towards the end, when the storms arrived.

Disagree with that, have felt warm and sweaty in bed the last few nights, am welcoming the change to fresher conditions.

Posted

Finally a cool, damp and overcast day! ☁️ A proper British Summer (or should I say Lancashire summer) at last!

Posted
5 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Finally a cool, damp and overcast day! ☁️ A proper British Summer (or should I say Lancashire summer) at last!

I do get confused when people say that this is typical British summer weather. It certainly isn't the case to me. Yellow and brown grass is normal in summer, I think only 2007 failed to achieve that.

Edited by B87

Posted
13 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I also liked Feb 2019 purely due to the heavy snowfall early on then beautiful springlike second half. We did pay for it in March though... Kinda similar to this March with a very Atlantic active first two thirds, then an anticyclonic sunny spell in the final third.

Remember that month well. We had a lot of mild weather, but a lot of days with heavy rain and strong winds. We also had a lot of flooding in some parts of NW England.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
On 21/02/2020 at 18:52, ManiaMuse said:

I really want a drought this year. It's just been so wet for the last 6 months, please can we just have some dry weather?

Be careful what you wish for.....

• Like 1

Posted
On 21/02/2020 at 21:00, B87 said:

Accuweather are forecasting a warm spring for the UK. That means it'll be a repeat of 2013.

I'd like a repeat of March 2012, April 2011, May 1989.

Looks like you got your wish (well, apart from March which was an average March really).

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, East Lancs Rain said:

Looks like you got your wish (well, apart from March which was an average March really).

Now for summer, June 1976, July 2018, August 1995.

Posted
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Always been the way on here for as long as I can remember. There is a small group who like to constantly snipe and moan about the warm or hot weather and rub people up the wrong way through the warmer months....yet when winter comes around the reverse doesn’t happen. You don’t really see people shooting down cold lovers, everyone is just expected to comply with the hunt for cold and snow. The site has a massive cold weather bias, and always has done. You just have to get used to it. I just like to post about what’s happening all 12 months of the year really. If it’s warm, I’ll say it’s warm. If it’s cool and wet like it’s about to be, I’ll post about that. Likewise in winter.

I agree about the cold bias in winter but in summer I think it’s much more a 50/50 split between those wanting a cool and/or a wet summer and a warm/hot summer. 

Imagine going into the MOD/winter discussion thread in the middle of winter and going “hooray, going to be 12c today, love this mild weather, long may it continue”! I don’t think I’d make it out alive Lol!

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, B87 said:

Now for summer, June 1976, July 2018, August 1995.

OH GOD NO!

Posted
3 hours ago, Azazel said:

It is always this time of year - it’s very strange. You don’t see it in the winter moans/ramps thread. I wonder why. I have previously thought to myself about going into the winter moans thread and baiting people but then I remember I’m not petty and weird - I just let the coldies enjoy their winter (I say enjoy, the last few have been pretty poor).

I would like to just to see thier reaction but don’t think I have the balls to do it!  

On sites such as TheWeatherOutlook there are a few mildies on there and there are some good mild vs cold battles in winter.

Posted
Just now, East Lancs Rain said:

mild

20 minutes ago, B87 said:

I do get confused when people say that this is typical British summer weather. It certainly isn't the case to me. Yellow and brown grass is normal in summer, I think only 2007 failed to achieve that.

Well it isn’t here. Only 2018 had brown grass here.

Posted
58 minutes ago, markyo said:

I agree! We needed a change mid March without a doubt. Its not Top Trumps following the weather, who's preferred weather wins. That's why there is so many arguments on here. We needed the pattern change in March, we needed a pattern change now. I know you won't like the change but like it or not we did need some rain. Its like if in Winter we had 2 months of frosts and snow,end of 2nd month we would be grateful of a change to warmer weather. 

Funny you should mention that, after this dry spell, and whatever summer has to offer, a much colder winter could be on the cards if there’s a La Niña on the horizon. 

Posted
44 minutes ago, B87 said:

Dec 2015 was actually a fairly dry month here, but incredibly cloudy.

And although it was mild, it didn’t seem very notable. I just remember many days of cloudy mild weather. It was such a boring month.

Posted
45 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Disagree with that, have felt warm and sweaty in bed the last few nights, am welcoming the change to fresher conditions.

It wasn’t that bad. I still needed the heating on during early May in the evenings.

The nights became warm, but nothing overly hot. 

Posted
47 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I won’t even elaborate about how I feel right now. 

I’m ok with a few cooler days, but want the sunshine back after a week. 

Time to sit on the couch and watch some Netflix. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

It hasn’t been humid at all through spring. Continental air has predominated, which by its nature is dry. Humidity has been 30-40% a lot of the time. It usually gets stickier through summer, especially if we get anything from Biscay coming up. Definitely uncomfortable with 30c and 50-70% humidity, even for someone like me who likes the heat. Nights 18c+ are also a bit sticky!

Posted
38 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I agree about the cold bias in winter but in summer I think it’s much more a 50/50 split between those wanting a cool and/or a wet summer and a warm/hot summer. 

Imagine going into the MOD/winter discussion thread in the middle of winter and going “hooray, going to be 12c today, love this mild weather, long may it continue”! I don’t think I’d make it out alive Lol!

Actually, as a hot weather fan, I still prefer cold frosty or snowy type winters. The mild stuff is what I hate, because it’s usually accompanied by rain and a lack of sun. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

know one thing, these charts won't exist in winter anymore! GFS still going for improving later next week, low moving N to S, but needs to move to our SW, not further east

h850t850eu.png

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It hasn’t been humid at all through spring. Continental air has predominated, which by its nature is dry. Humidity has been 30-40% a lot of the time. It usually gets stickier through summer, especially if we get anything from Biscay coming up. Definitely uncomfortable with 30c and 50-70% humidity, even for someone like me who likes the heat. Nights 18c+ are also a bit sticky!

Exactly!

We haven’t had any nights above 13-15c in London, and I wouldn’t class that as oppressive. It’s a nice mild temperature, even a bit cool in the evening to wear a light jacket if you’re outside.

17c and above would be classed as uncomfortable for me, and I still haven’t needed to sleep on top of duvet just yet. 

Posted

I really hope these ridiculously strong blocking patterns do not continue. I'm glad we have a respite from the warmth and sunshine, but for the next two weeks its rain, wind, thudnerstorms, and unseasonably cold weather, at least, this week anyway, with it down to as low  as 14C.