Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

There definitely seems to be some overreactions in here regarding the upcoming weather but I won’t get involved.

Suffered heavily with hay fever today, unsurprisingly with it being very high, so I welcome this change. 

There’s something quite satisfying about it raining after a warm/hot spell. Most of all is that distinct smell of rain in the air. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
31 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I think the average high is around 20°C for June in London/Southern England and we’re only right at the beginning of the month, so 19°C would be about right anyway.

The average is 21c in June. 91-20 will be closer to 22c. 

16-18c in June is poor. 16c would be among the coldest days of the month in a typical June. The coldest June on record in London had an average high of 17.5c.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, B87 said:

The average is 21c in June. 91-20 will be closer to 22c. 

16-18c in June is poor. 16c would be among the coldest days of the month in a typical June. The coldest June on record in London had an average high of 17.5c.

You are right - close to 22c for the south in June. 24c in July and 23c in August in our ever warming climate. Compare that to somewhere like Leeds with an average high of 18.5-19c for June. Very much location dependent. But to me 18c is also a bit disappointing. Not cold, but it’s 3-4c below average in my neck of the woods. You’d say that was pretty disappointing in high summer, just like 15-16c maxima is up north.

Posted
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Well he said “the sunny weather makes people look and feel healthy” so I could only interpret that as meaning that in other words it gives people an opportunity to wear minimal clothing and spend long hours sunbathing. People may appear “healthier” if they are showing off tanned skin and have smilies on their faces because they’re enjoying the weather, however, appearances can be deceptive...

As opposed to grey and cold looking. Lack of sunlight is also bad for your health. We had very little of that during winter 19/20, if you care to remember.

Posted
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’m sorry but 16-18°C is definitely not cold. In fact an 18°C sunny day in June can feel very pleasant. ☀️ The sun is at its strongest in June so you don’t need high temperatures for it for feel hot/warm. You come across a bit of a heat/warm weather snob. This isn’t California.

I think the average high is around 20°C for June in London/Southern England and we’re only right at the beginning of the month, so 19°C would be about right anyway.

I’m not a warm weather snob, but I don’t think it’s a crime for me not to want a June 1991, or even worse, a 1987, or 2012 June. 

Longer periods of dull cloudy and cool weather, with rain and dry days, but very little in the way of sunshine. 

Wanting very warm or even hot sunny weather in June shouldn’t be met with so much resistance. Maybe you should go back and live in 1985. The weather was pretty awful during that summer. 

I guess in Lancashire, your definition of a good summer is slightly different to down south. Anything less than 22c in the July to August period is disappointing for London. 

Edited by Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

A bit of aggro on the mod thread between people about temps. But what people have left out of the equation or not thought about is the wind. It's looking pretty windy at times & from a colder source. It might be 12C on the thermometer but under any cloud & especially the wind it will feel more like the single digits. A shock to the system compared to what we've just had.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Well he said “the sunny weather makes people look and feel healthy” so I could only interpret that as meaning that in other words it gives people an opportunity to wear minimal clothing and spend long hours sunbathing. People may appear “healthier” if they are showing off tanned skin and have smilies on their faces because they’re enjoying the weather, however, appearances can be deceptive...

There we are... your interpretation. You can reap the rewards of vitamin D without spending hours sunbathing. Everything can be done responsibly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

These warm vs cool/cold and guilt tripping posts need to stop. I'm tired of this rubbish happening every single year, around this time. Some of you are using this thread as an excuse to throw out a baited hook in the hope of some bites. No matter how many times it gets said to stop, it still creeps back in. Well, I'm taking a zero tolerance approach to it now. If these baiting/arguing/guilt tripping posts continue, your post will instantly be removed and you'll receive a message regarding the particular post(s)

Enough is enough.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Mapantz said:

These warm vs cool/cold and guilt tripping posts need to stop. I'm tired of this rubbish happening every single year, around this time. Some of you are using this thread as an excuse to throw out a baited hook in the hope of some bites. No matter how many times it gets said to stop, it still creeps back in. Well, I'm taking a zero tolerance approach to it now. If these baiting/arguing/guilt tripping posts continue, your post will instantly be removed and you'll receive a message regarding the particular post(s)

Enough is enough.

Point taken

Quite dull and close in my neck of the woods, but feels like it’s getting cooler. 

Posted
8 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Enough is enough.

It is always this time of year - it’s very strange. You don’t see it in the winter moans/ramps thread. I wonder why. I have previously thought to myself about going into the winter moans thread and baiting people but then I remember I’m not petty and weird - I just let the coldies enjoy their winter (I say enjoy, the last few have been pretty poor).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
20 minutes ago, Azazel said:

It is always this time of year - it’s very strange. You don’t see it in the winter moans/ramps thread. I wonder why. I have previously thought to myself about going into the winter moans thread and baiting people but then I remember I’m not petty and weird - I just let the coldies enjoy their winter (I say enjoy, the last few have been pretty poor).

Always been the way on here for as long as I can remember. There is a small group who like to constantly snipe and moan about the warm or hot weather and rub people up the wrong way through the warmer months....yet when winter comes around the reverse doesn’t happen. You don’t really see people shooting down cold lovers, everyone is just expected to comply with the hunt for cold and snow. The site has a massive cold weather bias, and always has done. You just have to get used to it. I just like to post about what’s happening all 12 months of the year really. If it’s warm, I’ll say it’s warm. If it’s cool and wet like it’s about to be, I’ll post about that. Likewise in winter.

• Like 3

Posted

Some seem to be really enjoying this change to unsettled weather in the model thread- I think I will steer clear of that thread for a while now and just let the usual suspects get on with it.

A hell of a lot of hyperbole in there about this spell. Day to day there will be variations and it won't be just 'poor' all the way. Hard to believe people are moaning so much after a such an incredible April and May.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Where is this rain, did not water garden last night due to forecasted rain. Looking at radar and there is a lot of precip over head, none of which is making it to the ground. Will be annoyed if I get home later this afternoon and have to water after all this talk of rain lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
25 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

A hell of a lot of hyperbole in there about this spell. Day to day there will be variations and it won't be just 'poor' all the way. Hard to believe people are moaning so much after a such an incredible April and May.

Well said. The last 2 months have seen records go. A change was going to happen, one can't expect their preferred weather continually surely?

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, markyo said:

Well said. The last 2 months have seen records go. A change was going to happen, one can't expect their preferred weather continually surely?

The 6 months prior saw rainfall records go as well. I'd be perfectly happy with average rainfall and rain days, 45mm per month, 7-8 days with rain per month from now until September.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted

The forecast for London doesn't look as awful as people are making out. Yes there are a couple of days of 15-17c, but it looks like temps return to average soon after. It doesn't look as bad as June 2019, and even that ended up with temps above average and a warm/dry 2nd half.

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

London weather forecast 14 days - Rain risk - Wind direction - HDD CDD

Edited by B87

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Yeah, the last winter I actually classed as semi decent was 2017/18, but the last two have been rank. 

Some people probably prefer the damp and mild weather compared to warm and hot summers, but I’m not one of them.

And we both know, these coldies will start wishing the summer away come mid July, with the ‘days are getting shorter’ topics.

Just allow us warm folk to enjoy, what is, a much shorter period of good weather in the warmer months. 

Hasn't really been mentioned but the max temperatures for may were the 3rd highest on record in East Anglia (above 2018), 4th highest for SW England, 4th highest for the midlands, 2nd highest for E/NE England, 4th highest for Central/SE England. Really was a remarkable month temperature wise as well in England

Posted

I usually leave the forum in winter, Feb 2019 and Dec 2015 are my idea of dream winter months. I like warm and dry summers as well, but our average summers are usually warm and dry enough.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Leo97t said:

Hasn't really been mentioned but the max temperatures for may were the 3rd highest on record in East Anglia (above 2018), 4th highest for SW England, 4th highest for the midlands, 2nd highest for E/NE England, 4th highest for Central/SE England. Really was a remarkable month temperature wise as well in England

For London Heathrow, I make May 2020 the 4th warmest on record by mean temps after 1992, 1989 and 2018.

Edited by B87

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Always been the way on here for as long as I can remember. There is a small group who like to constantly snipe and moan about the warm or hot weather and rub people up the wrong way through the warmer months....yet when winter comes around the reverse doesn’t happen. You don’t really see people shooting down cold lovers, everyone is just expected to comply with the hunt for cold and snow. The site has a massive cold weather bias, and always has done. You just have to get used to it. I just like to post about what’s happening all 12 months of the year really. If it’s warm, I’ll say it’s warm. If it’s cool and wet like it’s about to be, I’ll post about that. Likewise in winter.

And they don’t understand if you are sensitive to the colder conditions. Not everyone feels warm at 10-12c, and I sometimes enjoy cooler conditions.

But, sometimes when I’ve commented on feeling cold while working outside in low teens, it’s just the usual ‘oh toughen up, it’s better than working on a roof in 24c, while baking to death’. I understand, that certain jobs will make you work up a sweat, but, at the same time, no everyone will feel comfortable working in cooler or cold conditions.

Posted
55 minutes ago, markyo said:

Wet and damp conditions prevailed for much longer. We had weeks of cloudy weather before mid March, dry and wet periods. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Leo97t said:

Max temperatures wise I think it was 1st 

Correct. This May had very cool nights for most of the first half of the month. Average low ended up at 9.1c, which is bang on average for the new 91-20 normals.

2020: 21.1c

1989: 21.0c

1992: 21.0c

2018: 20.8c

I don't understand why huge temperature anomalies don't seem possible in May, when they are in all the other months in the April-August period. This May just gone had average highs only about 3c above average. Every other one of those months has seen 4-5c departures. April 2011 highs were 5.5c above normal!

Edited by B87
  • Like 1