Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, Stabilo19 said:

Agreed. I think the average joe (someone who doesn't work in agriculture, meteorology or someone who doesn't post on weather forums) would prefer every summer to be sunny & warm like we've experienced recently. 

It's very noticeable listening to friends, family and passing people in the street saying how lovely the weather is etc. I don't think many *enjoy* cool, wet, cloudy weather.. 

Agreed, and this supports my point that, in the West, most of us have become isolated from Nature and agriculture over the past 100 years or so.  In my rural village, prior to agricultural mechanisation, most people were either agricultural workers or had a trade that related to farming.  For them, hot, dry summers with insufficient rain could bring economic collapse, so they were well aware of the dryness of the soil and multuple other natural factors that would help determine the success of the crops and the health of their livestock.  Much has changed since then, resulting in most people being utterly ignorant of the fact that the summer weather they crave can still cause difficulties, and that their ancestors would not have enjoyed endless dry weather as they are fortunate enough to be able to.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Looking much more interesting for June....actual weather!!  Plus more comfortable for working in as we start to get back to work.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
6 minutes ago, markyo said:

Looking much more interesting for June....actual weather!!  Plus more comfortable for working in as we start to get back to work.

Not seeing much of interest for the foreseeable. Just a bland holding pattern until summer returns. Could be some convective interest tomorrow for some though.

Posted
4 hours ago, B87 said:

Having 5-13c, cloudy and damp days dominating the year only really happens in places like Lerwick.

I think most people on here would be happy with an average SE summer. A vast majority of days dry and comfortably warm, a few hot days, a few cool and wet days.

Those temps do dominate from mid to late October until mid to late March in most years, even in London. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Agreed. I think the average joe (someone who doesn't work in agriculture, meteorology or someone who doesn't post on weather forums) would prefer every summer to be sunny & warm like we've experienced recently. 

It's very noticeable listening to friends, family and passing people in the street saying how lovely the weather is etc. I don't think many *enjoy* cool, wet, cloudy weather.. 

And why would they. The sunny weather makes people look and feel healthy.

It encourages people to stay fitter and work out more. Maybe that’s why people in general look healthier nowadays compared to the 80s, when summers were colder.

Posted
20 minutes ago, markyo said:

Nobody is going back to work in my building for a while yet. 

Back to the weather, I hope the change brings some thunderstorms, instead of just boring dull and rainy weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
26 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Those temps do dominate from mid to late October until mid to late March in most years, even in London. 

November to March isn't most of the year though. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

Not seeing much of interest for the foreseeable. Just a bland holding pattern until summer returns. Could be some convective interest tomorrow for some though.

If there’s no storms from the cool down, then it will be a waste. 

Posted
30 minutes ago, B87 said:

November to March isn't most of the year though. 

Your being difficult now. It’s a good chunk of the year. Therefore, some people on here need to accept we will get, and deserve warm to hot sunny weather during the summer. 

I didn’t say most of the year, I said, in most of the years, even in London you will get dull and mediocre weather and temps between mid October to mid or late March. Some years the dull and cool weather creeps in during September and can be around until April. 

Edited by Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Nobody is going back to work in my building for a while yet. 

Back to the weather, I hope the change brings some thunderstorms, instead of just boring dull and rainy weather.

I did say start to go back...many are. All i ment was a change in the pattern was long over due, any held pattern for months on end has a negative effect, hot,dry,cold or wet,

As for the weather. The rain will be very welcome.

_112615896_gettyimages-dv1780043.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Water companies are urging people to avoid using sprinklers and paddling pools during the lockdown.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 3

Posted

I don't really mind that the weather is changing, as long as it doesn't last too long. I've enjoyed this weather, but find interest in a variety of conditions. Had my fair share of sun, 8 consecutive days of 100% sunshine!

Anyway with summer weather preferences, I think most want nice weather.. but I'm not sure as many truly like the heat as some might think. Most of my family don't, and friends or work colleagues don't like it when it actually is hot.

I think some of the general public think/say they like it hot, but their 'hot' might be sunbathing when the air temp is actually 22C.
I also think some might confuse the feeling of a genuinely very warm/hot air temperature with humidity.
For example I went to a BBQ in Reading on the 1st July 2018.. everyone was finding it a bit uncomfortable saying 'it's the humidity'.. and that that's a problem with British heat in general. The temp was about 30C with a dew point of 12C, so not humid.

A few people have said to me they found 2018 a bit much, including my friend who presents as liking heat and 'hot' holidays. Though it's nicer on holiday when no work needs doing, there's the sea/pools, and the sea breeze means the air temp is lower than the 38C the resort thermometer that's placed in the sun suggests lol.
Also of course UK houses are not designed for hot weather.

I'm like the rest of my family.. very fair skinned, burn easily.. although the 'novelty' of heat here and my interest in weather means I generally want hot charts to verify even if I may find it a bit uncomfortable.
I'm usually fine with mid-high 20's when lounging around (I would want to do any exercise early or late) and didn't find 2018 too bad, however it rarely gets above 30C here. We're prone to sea breezes and I live in a valley that's also prone to cool minima. If I lived in an inland town I wonder if I'd more easily tire of hot weather in this country.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

And why would they. The sunny weather makes people look and feel healthy.

It encourages people to stay fitter and work out more. Maybe that’s why people in general look healthier nowadays compared to the 80s, when summers were colder.

Getting sunburned isn't healthy.

• Like 5

Posted
29 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Getting sunburned isn't healthy.

Lol, I wasn’t implying getting sun burn.

The warmer weather encourages people to get out and about, as opposed to a day when it’s cloudy damp 19c. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

After last autumn/winter (wettest on record at my location), I can only say I despise frontal rain with a burning passion. I do, however enjoy and get excited about convective, heavy downpours. If that produced 90% of the rain here (along with warm, humid weather), I'd like to see regular rainfall. But I can't pretend I'm ever going to like cold, grotty, gloomy frontal rainy garbage now or ever. I'd rather it be dry than frontal dribble wrecking entire days at a time.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Indeed not, but, as benefits go, a suntan is a pretty empty one if there are more urgent downsides, like standpipes as was experienced in 1976.

• Like 1

Posted

Just to demonstrate that things were arid around here in summer 2018:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/business/farming/drought-hit-east-anglian-farmers-concerned-as-harvest-approaches-1-5584309

I can't actually find photos of my immediate are, but the vegetation was so pale (having gone from brown to a sort of pale grey) that the sun made it resemble lying snow.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

The warmer weather encourages people to get out and about, as opposed to a day when it’s cloudy damp 19c. 

It does, alough 19° is still fairly warm, at least for early June in my area anyway, so it wouldn't stop me from going out unless it was pouring. 

Posted

Quite a remarkable drop in temperature forecast for tommorow and the next few days.

Today - Mostly Sunny and highs of 23°, tommorow, cloudy, damp and high of just 13° according to BBC weather app. A 10 degree temperature drop in just one day.

And the forecast is getting worse everytime I look at it, at first it was looking like it was going to stay mostly sunny just a lot cooler. Yesterday more cloud was forecast. Now not only does it look very cool and mostly cloudy for the next few days but there is also a lot more rain forecast.

On Saturday it is forecasting rain and strong winds with a high of just 11°. 

Shades of June 2019 are starting to become a possibility. Hopefully things don't get that bad. I do not want to have to put my heating on again like last year!

Weather seems to go from one extreme to the other these days. Last summer it was either too hot, too cool or it was raining. We had the hottest day ever in late July. Recorded 33° here. Three days later it was 16° and raining. Then we had months of wind and rain from late September until mid March and we had the wettest February on record. Now we've just had the sunniest and one of the driest Springs on record! Settle down weather! We just seem to get locked into the same weather pattern for months on end.

It either has to be 23° and sunny or 13° and rain. Why can't we just have 16-21° with sun/clouds and the odd shower here and there?

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Thundershine said:

After last autumn/winter (wettest on record at my location), I can only say I despise frontal rain with a burning passion. I do, however enjoy and get excited about convective, heavy downpours. If that produced 90% of the rain here (along with warm, humid weather), I'd like to see regular rainfall. But I can't pretend I'm ever going to like cold, grotty, gloomy frontal rainy garbage now or ever. I'd rather it be dry than frontal dribble wrecking entire days at a time.

Couldn’t agree more.

Its almost a one sided mentality, for the people who enjoy cold or cooler weather. I like cold frosty days, but not a fan of damp cold, which is what we usually get, even if it’s a mild 10-13c, it can still feel chilly with the amount of damp in the air. 

By the time late March/early April rolls around, most people welcome warmer weather with longer spells of sunshine.

Some people on here just love to be all ‘doom and gloom’ while most of us want to enjoy the warm or hot weather with ‘there’s a drought, and crops will fail’ stories. It becomes annoying, when we have to listen to it every single year.

The cold weather fans will probably enjoy the up and coming spell of hideous 16-18c, or 19c tops(and no, that’s not warm for a London June lol). 

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It does, alough 19° is still fairly warm, at least for early June in my area anyway, so it wouldn't stop me from going out unless it was pouring. 

19 isn’t warm for June in London. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

He's also being difficult and knows damn well what you mean.

Posted
54 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Some people on here just love to be all ‘doom and gloom’ while most of us want to enjoy the warm or hot weather with ‘there’s a drought, and crops will fail’ stories. It becomes annoying, when we have to listen to it every single year.

I'd be happy for the entire summer to be 23C and sunny - I may not like heat + humidity, but I do enjoy warmth and sun.  Unfortunately, you can't have the nice, positive side to endless dry weather without the adverse effects; the global climate does not accede to our desires, preferences or requirements - it does what physics dictate and we have zero say in the matter, whether we want the current conditions to continue or whether we're in serious need of them changing.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 2

Posted
48 minutes ago, MP-R said:

He's also being difficult and knows damn well what you mean.

Well he said “the sunny weather makes people look and feel healthy” so I could only interpret that as meaning that in other words it gives people an opportunity to wear minimal clothing and spend long hours sunbathing. People may appear “healthier” if they are showing off tanned skin and have smilies on their faces because they’re enjoying the weather, however, appearances can be deceptive...

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted

Couldn’t agree more.

Its almost a one sided mentality, for the people who enjoy cold or cooler weather. I like cold frosty days, but not a fan of damp cold, which is what we usually get, even if it’s a mild 10-13c, it can still feel chilly with the amount of damp in the air. 

By the time late March/early April rolls around, most people welcome warmer weather with longer spells of sunshine.

The cold weather fans will probably enjoy the up and coming spell of hideous 16-18c, or 19c tops(and no, that’s not warm for a London June lol). 

I’m sorry but 16-18°C is definitely not cold. In fact an 18°C sunny day in June can feel very pleasant. ☀️ The sun is at its strongest in June so you don’t need high temperatures for it for feel hot/warm. You come across a bit of a heat/warm weather snob. This isn’t California.

I think the average high is around 20°C for June in London/Southern England and we’re only right at the beginning of the month, so 19°C would be about right anyway.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’m sorry but 16-18°C is definitely not cold. In fact an 18°C sunny day in June can feel very pleasant. ? The sun is at its strongest in June so you don’t need high temperatures for it for feel hot/warm. You come across a bit of a heat/warm weather snob. This isn’t California.

I think the average high is around 20°C for June in London/Southern England and we’re only right at the beginning of the month, so 19°C would be about right.

It's disappointing relative to the last few weeks, and I'd argue that 16C is rather cool for June, but it isn't cold either, unless your personal frame of reference has average temperatures as underwhelming and high 20s Celcius being what you expect in June.  That would be reasonable for late July, but rather optimistic for this point.

• Like 3