Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

It wasn’t the main reason but the weather certainly was a big factor. But the weather patterns are changing here too (no snow at all the winter past being a good example!). It’s still ‘early days’ for the summer, and one thing that we do get a lot more of here than anywhere in the UK is thunderstorms. Looking forward to those  

Is it very dry in Lancashire? Thought the area had a deluge between late September and early March.

Don’t worry. The snow will be back with a vengeance in winter 20/21. Even if the UK misses out again. Have a feeling we might turn a corner this year. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I’ll take endless days of sunshine all the way until September. 

Some would disagree:

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/weather/drought-fears-grow-as-dry-spell-continues

While I agree that this has been a superb spring, we do need some rain.  I don't know whereabouts in London you live, and therefore how much vegetation you see on a daily basis, but trust me, out here in rural England, everything is worryingly brown for the 1st of June (not that I'm getting around much in the current situation, but I know how dry the countryside must be based on the state of our garden).  If we continue with endless sunny days, the crops will be at risk of failure.  I'm certainly not asking for summer 2007 (though, speaking personally, I'd take that over a re-run of last year's heat), but we could do without another very dry summer.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Some would disagree:

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/weather/drought-fears-grow-as-dry-spell-continues

While I agree that this has been a superb spring, we do need some rain.  I don't know whereabouts in London you live, and therefore how much vegetation you see on a daily basis, but trust me, out here in rural England, everything is worryingly brown for the 1st of June (not that I'm getting around much in the current situation, but I know how dry the countryside must be based on the state of our garden).  If we continue with endless sunny days, the crops will be at risk of failure.  I'm certainly not asking for summer 2007 (though, speaking personally, I'd take that over a re-run of last year's heat), but we could do without another very dry summer.

I understand the concern, but I really don’t think a 2007 summer would benefit anyone. Cool damp summers are useless. You can’t really enjoy any outside activities without getting wet, or dodging showers. I don’t miss those late 2000s summers. They were depressing.

Still, after all this good weather, people who crave miserable conditions, may just get their wish. A few days of rain would be sufficient.

A dull summer just makes people depressed. 

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 2

Posted

I understand the concern, but I really don’t think a 2007 summer would benefit anyone. Cool damp summers are useless. You can’t really enjoy any outside activities without getting wet, or dodging showers. I don’t miss those late 2000s summers. They were depressing.

Still, after all this good weather, people who crave miserable conditions, may just get their wish. A few days of rain would be sufficient.

Hence I said that I wasn't asking for a 2007 re-run.  I only mentioned personal preference as I find cool summers, like that year, much more comfortable and pleasant (provided there's some dry weather between the fronts) than last year, which I found uncomfortable, sweaty and fatigue-inducing.  I am, however, aware than I am in a small minority.  I'm also trying to distance myself from the heat fans' insistence that anyone like me who wants a few days of rain over the course of the summer wants 'miserable weather'.  What I actually want, or, rather, would prefer, is the following:

1.  East Anglia and England as a whole to experience a British summer.  I don't want a Saudi summer, an Arizona summer or a summer from North Africa.  British summers contain some rain, whether we like it or not

2.  Further to (1), I don't want to live in a desert.  Disability means that emigrating would be difficult, but, otherwise, I'll say that if I wanted to live somewhere where it almost never rained, I'd move to the UAE or Southern California.  What irritates me is people who won't emigrate, but who want the climate here to change to that of one of the aforementioned countries, and ignore the consequences.  There are plenty of things I'd love to change about this country beyond the weather, but I appreciate that it would be wrong of me to complain about the fact that the UK isn't as I'd like it to be unless I'm prepared to leave.  Trust me, were I able-bodied, I'd have moved years back, probably to France, Germany or Scandinavia.  As I cannot, I put up with those aspects of my country that I don't like.

3.  With the virus causing enough problems, I don't want crop failures due to drought to hit us at the moment, as this would cause food costs to increase at a time when more people in this country are struggling due to job losses, furloughs or stagnating wages.  It's the reason I've ignored my preference for cold winters and have been pleased that much of Britain has had mild winters this past couple of years - with A&E in continual crisis, the last thing it needed was bad weather creating more casualties. 

4.  I like variable conditions - I no more like endless cloudy days or rain than endless days of indentical blue skies and sun.  Our climate was famed for its changeability, but it seems to be becoming more continental and predictable these days, which, I admit, I find uninteresting.  Moderate conditions also tend to present the least harm and difficulty, which is another reason for liking them.

My philosophy isn't that I want miserable weather to annoy most people.  I don't get any pleasure from seeing others miserable, but I can't help not liking seeing the countryside I love and have lived in all my life turn to grey dust.  I also can't help struggling in hot, humid weather like we've had the past couple of summers. 

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

I wish you'd stop trying to speak for everyone.

I, for one, hate hot weather.  I do not crave endless sunshine, and cloudy, damp summers are infinitely preferable to the nightmare that was 2018.  And I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the same as I do.

• Like 3

Posted
40 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Hence I said that I wasn't asking for a 2007 re-run.  I only mentioned personal preference as I find cool summers, like that year, much more comfortable and pleasant (provided there's some dry weather between the fronts) than last year, which I found uncomfortable, sweaty and fatigue-inducing.  I am, however, aware than I am in a small minority.  I'm also trying to distance myself from the heat fans' insistence that anyone like me who wants a few days of rain over the course of the summer wants 'miserable weather'.  What I actually want, or, rather, would prefer, is the following:

1.  East Anglia and England as a whole to experience a British summer.  I don't want a Saudi summer, an Arizona summer or a summer from North Africa.  British summers contain some rain, whether we like it or not

2.  Further to (1), I don't want to live in a desert.  Disability means that emigrating would be difficult, but, otherwise, I'll say that if I wanted to live somewhere where it almost never rained, I'd move to the UAE or Southern California.  What irritates me is people who won't emigrate, but who want the climate here to change to that of one of the aforementioned countries, and ignore the consequences.  There are plenty of things I'd love to change about this country beyond the weather, but I appreciate that it would be wrong of me to complain about the fact that the UK isn't as I'd like it to be unless I'm prepared to leave.  Trust me, were I able-bodied, I'd have moved years back, probably to France, Germany or Scandinavia.  As I cannot, I put up with those aspects of my country that I don't like.

3.  With the virus causing enough problems, I don't want crop failures due to drought to hit us at the moment, as this would cause food costs to increase at a time when more people in this country are struggling due to job losses, furloughs or stagnating wages.  It's the reason I've ignored my preference for cold winters and have been pleased that much of Britain has had mild winters this past couple of years - with A&E in continual crisis, the last thing it needed was bad weather creating more casualties. 

4.  I like variable conditions - I no more like endless cloudy days or rain than endless days of indentical blue skies and sun.  Our climate was famed for its changeability, but it seems to be becoming more continental and predictable these days, which, I admit, I find uninteresting.  Moderate conditions also tend to present the least harm and difficulty, which is another reason for liking them.

My philosophy isn't that I want miserable weather to annoy most people.  I don't get any pleasure from seeing others miserable, but I can't help not liking seeing the countryside I love and have lived in all my life turn to grey dust.  I also can't help struggling in hot, humid weather like we've had the past couple of summers. 

It’s not going to turn into a desert anytime soon. I think that’s a slight overreaction. We will get the rain again, and it won’t be long before the nights start drawing in again, which usually means more damp and cooler conditions. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I agree with everything you're saying. Britain may very well be notorious for its unpredictable weather conditions, but I actually find it to be part of the charm of British weather and I enjoy checking the weather forecast and wondering what the weather is going to be doing next. And a bit of a variety in everything is great, otherwise it just becomes repetitive and boring after a while. Just like this current dry sunny weather: Sunny blue skies are indeed beautiful, but now I am finding it to be monotonous and feel as if it's time for something a little different.

Also, let us not forget that we are living in a temperate country. Whilst there is nothing at all wrong in wanting something to happen, I personally think that those who constantly crave long hot summers (and likewise with long freezing cold winters) are living in the wrong country.

• Like 3

Posted
46 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s not going to turn into a desert anytime soon. I think that’s a slight overreaction. We will get the rain again, and it won’t be long before the nights start drawing in again, which usually means more damp and cooler conditions. 

Fair point - I wasn't being entirely literal.  That being said,if this continues until September, which some want, there will be problems here.  It's as dry now as it was in early July in 2018.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I agree with everything you're saying. Britain may very well be notorious for its unpredictable weather conditions, but I actually find it to be part of the charm of British weather and I enjoy checking the weather forecast and wondering what the weather is going to be doing next. And a bit of a variety in everything is great, otherwise it just becomes repetitive and boring after a while. Just like this current dry sunny weather: Sunny blue skies are indeed beautiful, but now I am finding it to be monotonous and feel as if it's time for something a little different.

Also, let us not forget that we are living in a temperate country. Whilst there is nothing at all wrong in wanting something to happen, I personally think that those who constantly crave long hot summers (and likewise with long freezing cold winters) are living in the wrong country.

Well, I can’t move unfortunately. Brexit took care of that. My partner is Latvian though. 

I find some of the weather quite boring, when it’s that in between damp sunless clag. 

A cold dry sunny and frosty winter, with some dull days would be ideal. 

I was born here, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I have to just agree with the unpredictable climate we live in. One can find it frustrating. 2007 was one of those years, boring mild winter, followed by a tediously damp cool summer. I’m fairly confident, not too many folk would like that over longer periods of settled weather.

Posted

I, for one, am actually looking quite forward to some more changeable and unsettled weather. 

The settled weather has been nice, however it’s getting a bit repetitive with constant blue skies for weeks upon end.

Its the same with any sort of weather really. Too much of it and it becomes repetitive and boring. 

• Like 7

Posted
13 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

I, for one, am actually looking quite forward to some more changeable and unsettled weather. 

The settled weather has been nice, however it’s getting a bit repetitive with constant blue skies for weeks upon end.

Its the same with any sort of weather really. Too much of it and it becomes repetitive and boring. 

I guess I was a little bored when we had the same cold pattern in winter 2009/2010, where the cold dry conditions lasted for ages. Although, it was still enjoyable. 

We got spoiled back then with a cluster of colder winters periods. 

Edited by Sunny76

Posted
15 hours ago, Sir Mim said:

I, for one, hate hot weather.  I do not crave endless sunshine, and cloudy, damp summers are infinitely preferable to the nightmare that was 2018.  And I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the same as I do.

Corrrr and don’t we all know it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
15 hours ago, Sir Mim said:

There are a minority who like those sort of summers, so you aren’t alone. For the vast majority though, summer is the one chance to see something different from the 5-13c cloudy and damp days we usually see for 3/4 of the year! There’s a good reason Spain has 15 million UK visitors a year and not Norway!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
5 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

There are a minority who like those sort of summers, so you aren’t alone. For the vast majority though, summer is the one chance to see something different from the 5-13c cloudy and damp days we usually see for 3/4 of the year! There’s a good reason Spain has 15 million UK visitors a year and not Norway!

Having 5-13c, cloudy and damp days dominating the year only really happens in places like Lerwick.

I think most people on here would be happy with an average SE summer. A vast majority of days dry and comfortably warm, a few hot days, a few cool and wet days.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted

Already 27c in Exeter today - possible warmest day of the year again?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
6 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

28.3C to beat - interesting to see today’s maximum later!

15 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Hottest day of the year so far is 28.3C on May 29th:

Met Office climate station link: (Cromdale)

WWW.STRATHSPEYWEATHER.CO.UK

Great first day of Meteorological Summer UK wide:

Temperature peaked here at 22C - glorious day relaxing on the local beach with a lovely display of Cirrus clouds overhead.

FCDE013E-882D-42D0-A8FD-1B68E584535C.thumb.jpeg.91619bfd17451416b43315702ef526a0.jpeg

Another warm/hot one tomorrow for most of the UK - interesting to see what the highest temperature will be.

I enjoyed reading the Summer forecasts above - all the best to each of you!

Edited by Mr Frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
10 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Really?

With 4 more hours of heating to go until the temperatures start to drop, it could get 30c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
27 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Really?

With 4 more hours of heating to go until the temperatures start to drop, it could get 30c.

I think he meant 25C at the moment...not 27C.

0A173CC4-4615-4696-A151-7E10A46D8AFF.thumb.png.d1e396561ac01997e75cbdbc3ab99186.png

London expected to hit 27/28C later also.

Exciting stuff to see what the highest temperature will be today - no chance of anything hot in the next seven days at least. (Current output)

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

I think he meant 25C at the moment...not 27C.

0A173CC4-4615-4696-A151-7E10A46D8AFF.thumb.png.d1e396561ac01997e75cbdbc3ab99186.png

London expected to hit 27/28C later also.

Exciting stuff to see what the highest temperature will be today - no chance of anything hot in the next seven days at least. (Current output)

My bad - I of course meant 25c as @Mr Frost alluded to. Still a chance it’ll be close to the 28.3c yearly high. If it doesn’t go today, it’ll be safe for a fortnight at least.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Agreed. I think the average joe (someone who doesn't work in agriculture, meteorology or someone who doesn't post on weather forums) would prefer every summer to be sunny & warm like we've experienced recently. 

It's very noticeable listening to friends, family and passing people in the street saying how lovely the weather is etc. I don't think many *enjoy* cool, wet, cloudy weather.. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Agreed. I think the average joe (someone who doesn't work in agriculture, meteorology or someone who doesn't post on weather forums) would prefer every summer to be sunny & warm like we've experienced recently. 

It's very noticeable listening to friends, family and passing people in the street saying how lovely the weather is etc. I don't think many *enjoy* cool, wet, cloudy weather.. 

As long as everyone is respectful of others wishes and preferences, there’s no real problem. 
I fully get it - the heat isn’t nice for a few. Just like there are people who hate severe cold in the winter. I like both - give me the heat and the cold please! As much as you can offer us! Mid to high thirties In the summer, and below freezing in the winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

One more day of this miserable weather.  

Hope we get some rain tomorrow.

• Like 2