Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
5 hours ago, Sir Mim said:

As monotonous as this weather is there's one thing for it - the nights are surprisingly comfortable.  If only we could get more weather like this in summer instead of the humid, muggy conditions we usually experience.

It’s never for a very long period though. Once we hit mid to late August, nights start to become gradually cooler again. 

Posted

Wow! Looks like thing's are really changing as we go into June. Rain from Wednesday, becoming unseasnoably cold for a day of two, in my area a high of just 15C is recorded for Saturday, avergae is more like 19C/20C. Just as restrictions are eased. Unbelievable. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
9 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Wow! Looks like thing's are really changing as we go into June. Rain from Wednesday, becoming unseasnoably cold for a day of two, in my area a high of just 15C is recorded for Saturday, avergae is more like 19C/20C. Just as restrictions are eased. Unbelievable. 

True, although it was also only last weekend that I also only recorded a high of 15C, there were gales, and some parts of the country had hailstorms.

I always though lockdown should last longer on the interests of fine weather lol...

Posted
Just now, MP-R said:

True, although it was also only last weekend that I also only recorded a high of 15C, there were gales, and some parts of the country had hailstorms.

I always though lockdown should last longer on the interests of fine weather lol...

Not too bothered about rain though. We need some and there's a wildfire risk down here 

Posted
9 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Not too bothered about rain though. We need some and there's a wildfire risk down here 

Yes like I said in the SW thread, don’t mind a few days with rain as long as fine weather resumes. A protracted cool cloudy spell with minimal rain is just pointless.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 27/05/2020 at 11:58, markyo said:

Couldn't agree more Nick, this is perfect summer weather,clear skies slight breeze, warm but not hot, great for getting out in. For me if Summer stayed like this with a bit of rain then i couldn't moan......for a change

Really? Well that’s a bit of a surprise coming from you. Thought this weather would be too hot for you. I remember talking with you last summer and you said that 17°C with a moderate breeze is more your thing.

Anyway, must admit I’m starting to get a bit fed up of this weather now. Fed up of being dazzled by the Sun every time I open the curtains in the morning. And it’s just so boring seeing clear blue sky day after day. And it is too hot for this time of year, in my opinion - 15-20°C is more appropriate for May, I find 23°C in the full sun a bit hot. 

I was out a couple of days ago and was dazzled by the sun, I should have had sunglasses on really but don’t really like wearing them. Walked into town and did a bit of shopping, by the time I got home my energy levels crashed and I felt really horrible for a few hours. I had to shut the curtains and lie down for a few hours. Didn’t feel better till I took some paracetamol. There was a bit of breeze but it didn’t do much as it was a warm breeze. And yes I was suitably dressed for the weather (shorts, t-shirt). Guess I prefer cooler weather.

Thankfully, it looks to be turning much cooler and fresher from Wednesday onwards. Only 12° forecast for Saturday here but still with plenty of sunshine. Now that’s more like it!

Posted
On 28/05/2020 at 16:02, stainesbloke said:

While W Europe is having largely dry and very pleasant weather, further E it’s been much more unsettled and with temperatures significantly lower than they should be. Had more heavy rain this morning and now heavy showers have developed. Just 12°C at 5pm, not great. 

D78B8CAD-3238-4BCC-B23C-49BE11D16339.jpeg

Ironic isn’t it? You move abroad for more heat and sunshine, only to find the weather is better in the UK! Alough I’d love to see a sky like that here as I’ve got bored of constant blue skies now. We also need rain.  I never think I’d say that, living in Lancashire lol!

• Like 1

Posted
On 28/05/2020 at 15:47, Mr Frost said:

Looks as though somewhere in the Highlands/Moray area could record the highest temperature this Spring in the UK and Ireland.

Chance of 29/30C tomorrow...

Crazy isn’t it? The south east normally gets the highest temperatures in any warm/hot spell, though not always in an easterly spell like we have at the moment.

Posted
On 29/05/2020 at 15:14, Sunny76 said:

Where did all that water go from october 2019-Mid March 2020?

All evaporated by the sun presumably.

Posted
On 26/05/2020 at 21:16, Mapantz said:

Quite an amazing Spring! I've recorded well in excess of 600 hours of Sunshine with 5 days still to go. May is going to be close to beating my sunshine record from July 2018.

1523271656_heatmap(1).thumb.png.568a0da76811638128f028c4a2c17c3e.png

Another thing to note; The relative humidity during the day has been exceptionally low for almost the whole season. 30's and 40's mostly, but also down in to the 20's on some days.

heatmap.thumb.png.807bb50849e24e3aea650338b798de2a.png

On 28/05/2020 at 12:44, reef said:

Up to 237 hours of sunshine now this May and 637 hours for the spring as a whole. The previous sunniest spring of 2011 with 591 hours is a distant second now. If it was summer, it would be sat in 7th place aswell, with 3½ days remaining to the month.

With no rain forecast its looking like 11.2mm will be the total this month, making it the third driest just behind 1991 (10.1mm) and 2010 (9.6mm). The spring as a whole will be comfortably the driest on 34.2mm, just 24% of average and well below the previous driest at 51.0mm (2011).

We're also set up well for comfortably the warmest second half of May on record (16th-31st). The current warmest is 1982 (13.9C), but the second half of 2020 is currently running at 15.2C. That's a considerable departure from the mean for the 1st-15th May which was 9.3C.

The irony is of course is that we’ve all been on lockdown, lots of places closed and nowhere to go apart from chilling in the garden, going to the corner shop and on very local walks.  On the flip side though, a lot more people will have had more time to enjoy the outdoors being off work or school, I’ve seen a lot of families out during the week enjoying the sunshine, they would normally not be able to do so because they would be stuck at work or school. 

Posted
On 29/05/2020 at 22:47, Mr Frost said:

Spring is ending on the perfect note - really has been fantastic.

Sunshine galore for most of us!

Peaked at 24C here today and more of the same tomorrow, Sunday and Monday.

Lovely sunset to end the day from my window:

8810D39A-9595-4C7F-99A4-B44DB8AB95BA.thumb.jpeg.3ad7137695cb1f8c126483a6969cfbc8.jpeg

Did not reach 29C today in Scotland but it was close...

Hopefully June, July and August deliver more of this heat/sunshine alongside convective weather! 

All the best everyone!

The irony though...

Posted
On 30/05/2020 at 10:28, mb018538 said:

Just a quick ramp....as I step outside to get another cloudless sky. How many of these have we had this spring?? I can’t remember so many days without any clouds at all. Magic!

I know. I think I’ve lost count... As great as it was in March after months of gloomy and rainy conditions, it has got tedious now.

Posted
On 29/05/2020 at 20:50, Sir Mim said:

Speaking as someone who is no fan of hot or sunny weather this is very nice at the moment.  It's actually quite cool and fresh now, not at all humid or overly warm.  If only it could stay like this for the next three months with similar temps then it wouldn't be so bad.

On 30/05/2020 at 19:55, Sir Mim said:

I am starting to get sick of this weather now.

Well you’ve quickly changed you tune!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
13 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I know. I think I’ve lost count... As great as it was in March after months of gloomy and rainy conditions, it has got tedious now.

Well....you are bang in luck! Blue skies and warmth gone tomorrow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I think that depends on where you are? It looks like being the warmest day of the year down in these parts. Possibly 27 or 28°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
17 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I think that depends on where you are? It looks like being the warmest day of the year down in these parts. Possibly 27 or 28°C

Sorry - should have said after tomorrow! Also looks very warm here too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

London recorded its sunniest spring on record with 692 hours, narrowly beating the 687 hours set in 1990.

Posted
29 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Hooray!

Posted

May only fell short of a sunshine record here by 1.5 hours - July 2013 remains first place.

Interestingly, June 21st to July 21st 2018 was the sunniest period with 320 hours but sadly didn’t fall into a calendar month.

• Like 1

Posted

May here narrowly missed out as well, 308.6 hours vs the 310.1 from 1989.

It's the 2nd sunniest May, and 2nd sunniest month overall.

Posted
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Really? Well that’s a bit of a surprise coming from you. Thought this weather would be too hot for you. I remember talking with you last summer and you said that 17°C with a moderate breeze is more your thing.

Anyway, must admit I’m starting to get a bit fed up of this weather now. Fed up of being dazzled by the Sun every time I open the curtains in the morning. And it’s just so boring seeing clear blue sky day after day. And it is too hot for this time of year, in my opinion - 15-20°C is more appropriate for May, I find 23°C in the full sun a bit hot. 

I was out a couple of days ago and was dazzled by the sun, I should have had sunglasses on really but don’t really like wearing them. Walked into town and did a bit of shopping, by the time I got home my energy levels crashed and I felt really horrible for a few hours. I had to shut the curtains and lie down for a few hours. Didn’t feel better till I took some paracetamol. There was a bit of breeze but it didn’t do much as it was a warm breeze. And yes I was suitably dressed for the weather (shorts, t-shirt). Guess I prefer cooler weather.

Thankfully, it looks to be turning much cooler and fresher from Wednesday onwards. Only 12° forecast for Saturday here but still with plenty of sunshine. Now that’s more like it!

15-20c is not warm enough. That was ok back in April, but not May. 

23-26c or scraping 27c is perfect weather, with just a slight breeze. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

15-20c is not warm enough. That was ok back in April, but not May. 

23-26c or scraping 27c is perfect weather, with just a slight breeze. 

The average high in May is 18c, so 15-20c would be close to a normal day.

May here averages about 8-10 days above 20c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Ironic isn’t it? You move abroad for more heat and sunshine, only to find the weather is better in the UK! Alough I’d love to see a sky like that here as I’ve got bored of constant blue skies now. We also need rain.  I never think I’d say that, living in Lancashire lol!

It wasn’t the main reason but the weather certainly was a big factor. But the weather patterns are changing here too (no snow at all the winter past being a good example!). It’s still ‘early days’ for the summer, and one thing that we do get a lot more of here than anywhere in the UK is thunderstorms. Looking forward to those  

Is it very dry in Lancashire? Thought the area had a deluge between late September and early March.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
4 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

One has tried to be more tolerant of the heat.... 23c is my new max now! It will be good though to see a change, one stuck weather pattern hot or cold is never a good thing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Well you’ve quickly changed you tune!

I'm certainly more changeable than our current weather that's for sure.

Edited by Sir Mim
  • Like 1