Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
5 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Great post, fingers crossed the parallels with 1995 continue. Another uncanny similarity were the very warm conditions for the VE day celebrations this year and in 1995. Both on a Friday, and by Monday we were in a northerly, just like 1995 I believe.

You're remembering the weather correctly but the VE day was Monday 8th May 1995, so the Bank Holiday was on the day that the northerlies set in.  

My suspicion is that the parallels with 1995 may continue to some degree, but I don't think the summer will be as exceptionally warm, sunny and dry as the spring has been - the opposite way round from 1995, when the summer was more exceptionally that way than the spring.  But there is surprisingly strong support for an anticyclonic August from the 2020 ENSO composites at the moment, albeit with the majority having high pressure centred further west than in August 1995, so "watch this space" as they say.  It's always tricky forecasting August's weather from this far out as a lot more can change in that time.  Anyway, more info will be revealed when the summer forecast is released.

A notable precedent for a spring of record-breaking dry sunny weather continuing into a dry sunny summer, albeit less exceptionally so than the spring, was 1893.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

You're remembering the weather correctly but the VE day was Monday 8th May 1995, so the Bank Holiday was on the day that the northerlies set in.

Yes I think I was recalling the celebrations at my primary school on the Friday- I remember having a street party in the playground and the weather feeling very warm.

Looking back at the records for 1995, I didn't realise that the 1st half of June was quite so cool. I would prefer more of a 2018 or 2006 style June!

Posted
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

Yes I think I was recalling the celebrations at my primary school on the Friday- I remember having a street party in the playground and the weather feeling very warm.

Looking back at the records for 1995, I didn't realise that the 1st half of June was quite so cool. I would prefer more of a 2018 or 2006 style June!

1995 was a better summer though. It surpasses 2006, despite 06 having a hotter  July. 95 was consistently hot or warm and sunny for 2 or more months. 2018 was more or less the same as 95, apart from poor middle August in 18, and the poor first half June in 95. 2018 wins a little, because the May was warmer and sunnier. 

I would rather take a cold first half in June, if it meant a better August.

Posted
48 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

1995 was a better summer though. It surpasses 2006, despite 06 having a hotter  July. 95 was consistently hot or warm and sunny for 2 or more months. 2018 was more or less the same as 95, apart from poor middle August in 18, and the poor first half June in 95. 2018 wins a little, because the May was warmer and sunnier. 

I would rather take a cold first half in June, if it meant a better August.

I actually disagree about August- I would take a hotter June all day long. The sun is at its highest and the trees/plants are more vibrant than in August.

It's hard to compare summers as no two summers are the same. 2006 had a better July than 1995 but August 1995 was much better than 2006.

I agree that 2018 was better than 1995 though when including May. The period from early May to the end of July was astonishing in 2018.

Posted

Yes this Spring has shared quite a few correlations with that of 95. March 95 was colder than March 2020, and brought a fair bit of snow at times, there was a northerly shot late in the month the same as 2020 mind. It also heralded a marked change in synoptics, the previous winter had been a very wet westerly dominated one, much akin to winter 19/20 though colder. March 95 saw more of a northerly influence and atlantic quitened. This happened in March 2020 after a wet first half, anticyclonic conditions set in during second half and it became very dry.

April and May 95 were very dry and often anticyclonic/northerly/easterly dominated, the same as April and May 2020. They were colder months overall, but relatively sunny the same as 2020 punctuated with a couple of northerly blasts, just like 2020. The correlation is preety strong.

Interesting to therefore note how June 95 brought a cold first half with northerlies dominating, June 2020 after a warm opening also looks like bringing a cool northerly - but for how long who knows.

Not saying we will see a summer such as 95. Summer 95 was excellent in the main from mid-late June onwards in the Lake District. There was a bit of rain at times in July but other than that bone dry, sunny and very warm. August was exceptional - not bettered. 

I'll post a few musings on my thoughts for this summer in the summer thread for its worth - I'm not expecting a 1995 one.

• Like 1

Posted
49 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I actually disagree about August- I would take a hotter June all day long. The sun is at its highest and the trees/plants are more vibrant than in August.

It's hard to compare summers as no two summers are the same. 2006 had a better July than 1995 but August 1995 was much better than 2006.

I agree that 2018 was better than 1995 though when including May. The period from early May to the end of July was astonishing in 2018.

Yes, that’s why I kind of give August 2018 a pass, because it started off hot, and the dull cool weather was in some ways a welcome, after 3 and a bit months of sunny warm to hot weather.

We did have a couple of cooler blips in summer 18, and strangely enough, they were on weekends. 

I remember one on the second weekend of June, where temps dropped back to low 20s, or even 20ish degrees with dull and breezy weather, then another cooler weekend in July. Perhaps this is what stopped summer 2018 from becoming too humid.

There was always a dry fresher feeling to the heat, if that makes any sense. Nights were still hot at times. 

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes this Spring has shared quite a few correlations with that of 95. March 95 was colder than March 2020, and brought a fair bit of snow at times, there was a northerly shot late in the month the same as 2020 mind. It also heralded a marked change in synoptics, the previous winter had been a very wet westerly dominated one, much akin to winter 19/20 though colder. March 95 saw more of a northerly influence and atlantic quitened. This happened in March 2020 after a wet first half, anticyclonic conditions set in during second half and it became very dry.

April and May 95 were very dry and often anticyclonic/northerly/easterly dominated, the same as April and May 2020. They were colder months overall, but relatively sunny the same as 2020 punctuated with a couple of northerly blasts, just like 2020. The correlation is preety strong.

Interesting to therefore note how June 95 brought a cold first half with northerlies dominating, June 2020 after a warm opening also looks like bringing a cool northerly - but for how long who knows.

Not saying we will see a summer such as 95. Summer 95 was excellent in the main from mid-late June onwards in the Lake District. There was a bit of rain at times in July but other than that bone dry, sunny and very warm. August was exceptional - not bettered. 

I'll post a few musings on my thoughts for this summer in the summer thread for its worth - I'm not expecting a 1995 one.

1995 was a classic, and this is why people forget how good 1994 was, apart from the unsettled August. 1994 for me, is when we returned to better summers, after the awful 1993, and mediocre 91 and 92 summers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

More rain and chilly temperatures here in the Czech Republic today. It’s definitely been an underwhelming May but the rain has been needed here. Just 11°C at midday. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
15 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, that’s why I kind of give August 2018 a pass, because it started off hot, and the dull cool weather was in some ways a welcome, after 3 and a bit months of sunny warm to hot weather.

We did have a couple of cooler blips in summer 18, and strangely enough, they were on weekends

I remember one on the second weekend of June, where temps dropped back to low 20s, or even 20ish degrees with dull and breezy weather, then another cooler weekend in July. Perhaps this is what stopped summer 2018 from becoming too humid.

There was always a dry fresher feeling to the heat, if that makes any sense. Nights were still hot at times. 

Yes, and this was the most annoying aspect of the temporary blips. The cooler less summery weather coincided with things that I had happening outdoors or events happening. Father's Day was one example, on the 17th June - the dull breezy weekend you mention. The last weekend of July saw a windy and actually wet spell pass over perfectly timed for outdoor plans. Then the Bristol Balloon Fiesta coincided with the wettest period of August.

The same happened last year - Bristol Harbour Festival on 19th-21st July (the Friday was a washout), and the balloon fiesta again on the second weekend of August which was the most unsettled spell of the month.

On the topic of spring, however, now that we arrive on the final day of the season - I have mixed feelings about the spring. Undoubtedly, since March 21st, the weather has been largely glorious and a real tonic to the months that preceded it. I can't imagine how dull and arduous lockdown would've been in November/December. However, I have missed the April showers and the May thunderstorms that occur at least a few times every year. No doubt, now that June is upon us and I actually look for the synoptics we've had so often this spring, we will start seeing more springlike synoptics that promote showers lol. I have to remind myself how stormy early March was - seems like a lifetime ago.

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

More rain and chilly temperatures here in the Czech Republic today. It’s definitely been an underwhelming May but the rain has been needed here. Just 11°C at midday. 

That sounds very poor.

My in laws in Latvia, told me it’s warmed up over there, but they were still having daytime highs of 12-14 not so long ago. 

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Yes, and this was the most annoying aspect of the temporary blips. The cooler less summery weather coincided with things that I had happening outdoors or events happening. Father's Day was one example, on the 17th June - the dull breezy weekend you mention. The last weekend of July saw a windy and actually wet spell pass over perfectly timed for outdoor plans. Then the Bristol Balloon Fiesta coincided with the wettest period of August.

The same happened last year - Bristol Harbour Festival on 19th-21st July (the Friday was a washout), and the balloon fiesta again on the second weekend of August which was the most unsettled spell of the month.

On the topic of spring, however, now that we arrive on the final day of the season - I have mixed feelings about the spring. Undoubtedly, since March 21st, the weather has been largely glorious and a real tonic to the months that preceded it. I can't imagine how dull and arduous lockdown would've been in November/December. However, I have missed the April showers and the May thunderstorms that occur at least a few times every year. No doubt, now that June is upon us and I actually look for the synoptics we've had so often this spring, we will start seeing more springlike synoptics that promote showers lol. I have to remind myself how stormy early March was - seems like a lifetime ago.

Mid March really does seem like a very long ago now. I remember the week of the 15th, where it was still quite dull and cool. Lots of rain and wind just before then. 

Also the nights were still long at that stage, even with the gradual gaining of daylight, it’s not really until April you start to feel it properly. 

The lockdown in winter would have been even harder to deal with, but something tells me, we might have to face one in the coming winter, and if it’s cold, it’s going to be a killer for heating bills.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

That sounds very poor.

My in laws in Latvia, told me it’s warmed up over there, but they were still having daytime highs of 12-14 not so long ago. 

Yes, am fine with some rain from time to time but the chilly temperatures are most unwelcome. Especially as much of the UK has had such an extensive spell of warmth and beautiful weather. The switch will flip at some point, I guess. Looks warmer and sunnier here this week with chances of thunderstorms later, fingers crossed ?? 

Posted
16 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, am fine with some rain from time to time but the chilly temperatures are most unwelcome. Especially as much of the UK has had such an extensive spell of warmth and beautiful weather. The switch will flip at some point, I guess. Looks warmer and sunnier here this week with chances of thunderstorms later, fingers crossed ?? 

You will end up with a better summer mate. 

If we get a stinker July and August, this spring will be easily forgotten.

• Like 1

Posted

It’s quite laughable people in the MOD are complaining of a few below average days forecast with the threat of a little bit of rain.

After being spoilt for weeks of above average temperatures, sun and little to no rain, one would think it was the end of the world being forecast! 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
7 hours ago, Scorcher said:

It's funny what you remember years later; I recall finishing work about 2 o'clock and sitting in the garden for a couple of hours, in shorts in early May.....then later  going on a night out. Saturday was similar, but had to take my mum shopping, and having to listen to the 2,000 Guineas on the radio. I wouldn't mind another 1995 weatherwise.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Feels very warm here in Bedford today, only 23c but feels like 27c. Had an afternoon run at 14:30 and at 15:15 when I came back sweat was pouring down me.

It felt like someone dumped a bucket of warm water on top of my head.

Edited by Zak M

Posted
58 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

It’s quite laughable people in the MOD are complaining of a few below average days forecast with the threat of a little bit of rain.

After being spoilt for weeks of above average temperatures, sun and little to no rain, one would think it was the end of the world being forecast! 

It’s only felt warmer than a average since mid May. April had a number of warm days, but nothing really hot or unusual. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
3 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

We certainly do need rain. A pattern change would be very welcome, something of interest!

• Like 3

Posted

Although the heat has been relatively dry, the sun has felt exceptionally strong owing probably to no cloud and no contrails.

Hopefully the unsettled blip is brief and we return to such wonderful conditions quickly - maybe with a little more of a southerly influence so we can pull up some moisture and get some storms cooking. 

We can refill the parched reservoirs and watch people’s homes flood from September-March when it will likely rain solidly. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Looks like the weather is going to become more changeable from Wednesday onwards. This will be very welcome for those of us who like a bit of variation in the weather. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

As monotonous as this weather is there's one thing for it - the nights are surprisingly comfortable.  If only we could get more weather like this in summer instead of the humid, muggy conditions we usually experience.

Posted
10 hours ago, Azazel said:

Although the heat has been relatively dry, the sun has felt exceptionally strong owing probably to no cloud and no contrails.

Hopefully the unsettled blip is brief and we return to such wonderful conditions quickly - maybe with a little more of a southerly influence so we can pull up some moisture and get some storms cooking. 

We can refill the parched reservoirs and watch people’s homes flood from September-March when it will likely rain solidly. 

I agree. 

We certainly don’t need 2-3 weeks of dismal dull and rainy weather now.