Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

Speaking as someone who is no fan of hot or sunny weather this is very nice at the moment.  It's actually quite cool and fresh now, not at all humid or overly warm.  If only it could stay like this for the next three months with similar temps then it wouldn't be so bad.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Sir Mim said:

Speaking as someone who is no fan of hot or sunny weather this is very nice at the moment.  It's actually quite cool and fresh now, not at all humid or overly warm.  If only it could stay like this for the next three months with similar temps then it wouldn't be so bad.

Yes definitely would, but think now full agreement of ugly change on Wed

Posted
41 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It will rain again, don’t fret. The default pressure pattern for the UK isn’t anticyclonic, and there is no wet or dry season. Water companies have said we’re fine at the moment, which is hardly surprising after winter. This dry spell is nothing compared to some in the past because of winter.

1984 was drier I think, although May was wet and cool towards the end. June to August was warm or hot. 

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

It will rain again, don’t fret. The default pressure pattern for the UK isn’t anticyclonic, and there is no wet or dry season. Water companies have said we’re fine at the moment, which is hardly surprising after winter. This dry spell is nothing compared to some in the past because of winter.

QVNIMTE1NTY3MjY3.jpg
WWW.YORKSHIREPOST.CO.UK

Water levels in Yorkshire Water's reservoirs are lower than normal after three months of warm, dry weather.

Unlike United Utlilites in the North West which only has fixed reservoirs, Yorkshire Water have a piped system which can move water around the county plus underground reserves, if Yorkshire Water are issuing warnings then that is not a good sign.

Edited by NTC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
7 minutes ago, NTC said:
QVNIMTE1NTY3MjY3.jpg
WWW.YORKSHIREPOST.CO.UK

Water levels in Yorkshire Water's reservoirs are lower than normal after three months of warm, dry weather.

Unlike United Utlilites in the North West which only has fixed reservoirs, Yorkshire Water have a piped system which can move water around the county plus underground reserves, if Yorkshire Water are issuing warnings then that is not a good sign.

15D94365-0078-4B73-9899-7159BB3CD4A9.thumb.jpeg.837ac22fe4f26d25b863da83820cbf03.jpeg

They are fine at the moment. A bit below average but hardly drastic. Just the press making a mountain out of a molehill as usual. Groundwater is also fine. If it stays dry through the summer then sure, we might have issues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe cold, heavy snow, massive thunderstorms and bright sunshine.

Is there a Summer 2020 moans, ramps and chat thread opening at all?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Spring is ending on the perfect note - really has been fantastic.

Sunshine galore for most of us!

Peaked at 24C here today and more of the same tomorrow, Sunday and Monday.

Lovely sunset to end the day from my window:

8810D39A-9595-4C7F-99A4-B44DB8AB95BA.thumb.jpeg.3ad7137695cb1f8c126483a6969cfbc8.jpeg

Did not reach 29C today in Scotland but it was close...

Hopefully June, July and August deliver more of this heat/sunshine alongside convective weather! 

All the best everyone!

• Like 1

Posted

@2010cold

It will become the moans, ramps and chat thread next week. It'd be nice if people discussed summer in there rather than in here!

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe cold, heavy snow, massive thunderstorms and bright sunshine.
2 minutes ago, reef said:

@2010cold

It will become the moans, ramps and chat thread next week. It'd be nice if people discussed summer in there rather than in here!

I was just wondering why the Summer moans, ramps and chat hadn't been set up because it normally gets set up around mid-April.

However, thank you for the reply.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

Hopefully June July and August deliver more of this heat/sunshine alongside convective weather! 

All the best everyone!

An unpopular opinion, but I am hoping for more changeable weather. Sure, this weather has been lovely but at the same time it's becoming rather monotonous as would any weather which drags on for a while. But at least I've been able to do plenty of clothes washing (I don't have a dryer).

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

The persistent dry conditions and lack of any rain/convection/strong winds or even interesting cloud formations right now is getting beyond tedious.

That old myth that it 'always rains' in England sounds sillier by the year. The locked in periods of dry/wet we get aren't even in length, as dry seems to last twice as long as wet once it gets locked in. The current period seems even stranger given the distinct lack of any kind of influence from the Atlantic and just how 'flabby' the isobars are on the models. I do also seriously worry about the effects on nature of all of this.

If this is the new normal for the decades ahead due to climate change, then bravo humanity, well done *slow sarcastic applause*  

Rant over

• Like 6

Posted

Yesterday was literally the perfect summer day in London.  Unbroken sunshine, lovely and warm but not too hot, a gentle cooling breeze, and at bedtime lovely and fresh so you get a good nights sleep.  

Posted

For those of you like me who are bored, it seems like at least the start of June anyway will be s more mixed day. Temps as low as 16C here forecasted, a lot of days under 20C but perhaps more importantly rain is forecasted as early as Wednesday. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Just a quick ramp....as I step outside to get another cloudless sky. How many of these have we had this spring?? I can’t remember so many days without any clouds at all. Magic!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Lance M said:

That old myth that it 'always rains' in England sounds sillier by the year. 

Yes I’ve never made sense of this idea, even more so from foreigners who are really referring to London... It’s a bit like saying it’s always hot in Spain or it always snows in New York in winter.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

A perfect early summers morning,clear blue skies nice breeze, gentle temp. Lovely. Forecast for a spot of wet stuff next week,much needed and a slight cool down, it really is something for everyone

Posted

Up to 267 hours of sunshine this May here now. Its looking like the new record sunniest May we set in 2018 of 280 hours is going to go again. Spring is up to 666 hours, now 75 hours above the previous record set in 2011 and now sunnier than all but 4 summers in the last 40 years here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Just a quick ramp....as I step outside to get another cloudless sky. How many of these have we had this spring?? I can’t remember so many days without any clouds at all. Magic!

It reminds me of the cloudless days between mid June and late August 1995, although there were still interruptions from a day or two of showery weather or storms. It was the sunniest spell I remember at the time.

2018 is also another year where the sun seemed to shine for weeks on end, but again we still got storms and one or two damp or cloudy days.

Its certainly been a very sunny period from late March to late May 2019.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I have been noticing marked synoptic similarities between the recent spell of weather and much of mid to late spring and summer 1995 - high pressure often favourably placed to bring plenty of sunshine, interrupted by the odd spell of northerlies (late March, late April and 2nd week of May 2020) which bring cooler cloudier weather but not much rain.  Early June 2020 also looks like having northerlies, and again the longer-term model outputs are suggesting that high pressure may return afterwards.  These patterns also characterised many of the sunniest springs of the 20th century generally (1948 and 1982 also spring to mind), but northerlies are less cold than they used to be, and so unlike in those other years, late spring snowfalls in 2020 have been largely limited to north-east Scotland.

July 1995 was a different story, that was a south-westerly month with pressure if anything a little below average, but frequent incursions of continental air resulted in spells of hot sunny weather for much of the country, sometimes with thunderstorms.  But early June 1995 was notoriously "northerly", while the second half of that month and much of August were anticyclonic.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted

Looks like the driest may here since 2005 that also gave damaging air frosts like this may.

And we had a great thunderstorm earlier this month,although that just ran straight off,never seen such little grass for the time of year.

Posted
2 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I have been noticing marked synoptic similarities between the recent spell of weather and much of mid to late spring and summer 1995 - high pressure often favourably placed to bring plenty of sunshine, interrupted by the odd spell of northerlies (late March, late April and 2nd week of May 2020) which bring cooler cloudier weather but not much rain.  Early June 2020 also looks like having northerlies, and again the longer-term model outputs are suggesting that high pressure may return afterwards.  These patterns also characterised many of the sunniest springs of the 20th century generally (1948 and 1982 also spring to mind), but northerlies are less cold than they used to be, and so unlike in those other years, late spring snowfalls in 2020 have been largely limited to north-east Scotland.

July 1995 was a different story, that was a south-westerly month with pressure if anything a little below average, but frequent incursions of continental air resulted in spells of hot sunny weather for much of the country, sometimes with thunderstorms.  But early June 1995 was notoriously "northerly", while the second half of that month and much of August were anticyclonic.

Great post, fingers crossed the parallels with 1995 continue. Another uncanny similarity were the very warm conditions for the VE day celebrations this year and in 1995. Both on a Friday, and by Monday we were in a northerly, just like 1995 I believe.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

I am starting to get sick of this weather now.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
38 minutes ago, Sir Mim said:

I am starting to get sick of this weather now.

I never thought I'd ever be saying this, but I am beginning to forget what a cloud looks like.

Completely cloudless skies almost everyday for 2 months running is certainly extremely unusual for this country.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm more than happy for it to continue!

Fortunately, I have the luxury of having a garden, which i've been working in for the past 3 months. We'll end up getting endless amounts of rain again at some point, as the atmosphere tries to create equilibrium. So the longer this glorious sunshine keeps going, the better.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
6 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Let's hope that we finally get a repeat of August 1995 this year!