Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Looks as though somewhere in the Highlands/Moray area could record the highest temperature this Spring in the UK and Ireland.

Chance of 29/30C tomorrow...

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

While W Europe is having largely dry and very pleasant weather, further E it’s been much more unsettled and with temperatures significantly lower than they should be. Had more heavy rain this morning and now heavy showers have developed. Just 12°C at 5pm, not great. 

D78B8CAD-3238-4BCC-B23C-49BE11D16339.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
3 hours ago, reef said:

Up to 237 hours of sunshine now this May and 637 hours for the spring as a whole. The previous sunniest spring of 2011 with 591 hours is a distant second now. If it was summer, it would be sat in 7th place aswell, with 3½ days remaining to the month.

With no rain forecast its looking like 11.2mm will be the total this month, making it the third driest just behind 1991 (10.1mm) and 2010 (9.6mm). The spring as a whole will be comfortably the driest on 34.2mm, just 24% of average and well below the previous driest at 51.0mm (2011).

We're also set up well for comfortably the warmest second half of May on record (16th-31st). The current warmest is 1982 (13.9C), but the second half of 2020 is currently running at 15.2C. That's a considerable departure from the mean for the 1st-15th May which was 9.3C.

The first half of May contained that annoying colder spell which produced frequent overnight frosts and fairly low daytime maxes, and was a nuisance for gardeners. Here in Horsham, there were more cold nights with ground frost risk than I can remember during the whole winter, which is why my potato crop got damaged despite earthing up. Up to that point, there was hardly any frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Fantastic early summers day,low 20's lovely breeze, clear blue skies. Couldn't ask for more. June is starting to shape up more changeable so some needed rain on offer, starting to shape up like a normal UK summer for once, a little for everyone!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, al78 said:

The first half of May contained that annoying colder spell which produced frequent overnight frosts and fairly low daytime maxes, and was a nuisance for gardeners. Here in Horsham, there were more cold nights with ground frost risk than I can remember during the whole winter, which is why my potato crop got damaged despite earthing up. Up to that point, there was hardly any frost.

Yes, even though the weather has been sunny for the most part since late March, there was still a distinct chill in the air during April up until mid May. 

It’s only been very warm or hot since mid May, so I doubt it will be the warmest spring on record. It’s one of the driest and possibly sunniest. 

A good spell of weather though 

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Fantastic early summers day,low 20's lovely breeze, clear blue skies. Couldn't ask for more. June is starting to shape up more changeable so some needed rain on offer, starting to shape up like a normal UK summer for once, a little for everyone!

Hopefully it doesn’t become unsettled for weeks on end in June. A few days of rain will be ok, but don’t want a return to dull damp stuff for 2-3 week periods.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Hopefully it doesn’t become unsettled for weeks on end in June. A few days of rain will be ok, but don’t want a return to dull damp stuff for 2-3 week periods.

Fortunately nothing shows that yet. In fact, there's not much rain at all in the near to mid term outlook, just a fall in temperature around next weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, Djdazzle said:

You were born in August 2003 - some month for weather that was! And trust me, 17 is young!

Anyway, back on topic, the ECM mean is a tad less extreme than the op.

I graduated a month prior to that!:oldsad:  Regarding models, it's always worth considering the ensemble spread before drawing conclusions regarding the operational.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!
2 hours ago, Bradowl said:

I was 12, it was only sleet down here but I recall some cricket getting abandoned because of Snow, I think it might have been at Buxton. 

I was -24! in all seriousness, snow in June is absolutely crazy! Only in the UK climate as they say...

Restrictions being loosened in Scotland as of tomorrow means I can get back to playing tennis! The models surely are spoiling us with all this dry weather, and the cool down it’s showing for next week will be welcome after this week’s heat up here! 

stay safe

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, Ross Andrew Hemphill said:

I was -24! in all seriousness, snow in June is absolutely crazy! Only in the UK climate as they say...

Restrictions being loosened in Scotland as of tomorrow means I can get back to playing tennis! The models surely are spoiling us with all this dry weather, and the cool down it’s showing for next week will be welcome after this week’s heat up here! 

stay safe

Yes taking final exams at Agri College in Aberdeen on the sixth floor watching snow showers coming in off the North  Sea on the 1st of June 1975

Those at home had to take in cows and calves a few days later to cream the cows teats as they had all cracked with the cold.     Extreme weather even then.

.Ten days later I was at home making hay in hot sunshine at 84 F and we made hay all summer long.after that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
3 hours ago, Zak M said:

Well I'm turning 17 in August so I don't think I'm that young lol

I remember 2003 crystal clear at the age of 11! Some very good storms along with that magnificent heatwave in August. Probably the last proper August heatwave we had! 

I can’t believe we are seeing the possibility of snow in June. I’ve never seen that before. As said in other posts, the last time it did was 1975. The year of fire and ice! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Blimey, it's young in here.... I remember 2003 well when I was a 24 year old!! Highest ever temperature in August that year until last year in my very own back yard (well almost)!  We won't see snow in June ever again in this country but it would be nice to see a change in the current pattern - as much as warmth and sunshine is nice, I'd love to see some heavy rain, hopefully in the form of a 24th June 1994 MCS style storm (the best by far I've ever seen) but even just a whimper of a storm would be nice now or at least some sort of variety in the weather.  

Edited by James1979
  • Like 2

Posted

June 1994 storms were a classic. Just like those 1980s storms. I was 18 at the time and was watching Cameroon getting battered by Brazil in a World Cup 94 match.

Yes, that’s the one when England didn’t qualify. 

Posted

The thing that winds me up and has seemingly become the norm these days, is not the change to cooler conditions (that does suck but I digress) but the fact the warmth will just dissolve away into nothing. In the old days it would go out with a bang but that doesn’t happen here anymore. Storms really are incredibly rare.

• Like 3

Posted
QVNIMTE1NTY3MjY3.jpg
WWW.YORKSHIREPOST.CO.UK

Water levels in Yorkshire Water's reservoirs are lower than normal after three months of warm, dry weather.

The Pennies reservoirs are most effected. Not good news this early on in the Summer. Rain is needed. South East Water has issued same statement

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Azazel said:

The thing that winds me up and has seemingly become the norm these days, is not the change to cooler conditions (that does suck but I digress) but the fact the warmth will just dissolve away into nothing. In the old days it would go out with a bang but that doesn’t happen here anymore. Storms really are incredibly rare.

Yes, back in the 90s or early 00s, that was still a guarantee.

Think the shift started around 2007, because up until that year, thunderstorms were still a regular feature of summers, even in a poor year.

We did see a return of thunderstorms since summer 2013, although some are hit and miss. 2016,17 and 18 were the best of recent years, although I remember 2013 and 14 having quite a few storms.

Posted
3 hours ago, markyo said:
QVNIMTE1NTY3MjY3.jpg
WWW.YORKSHIREPOST.CO.UK

Water levels in Yorkshire Water's reservoirs are lower than normal after three months of warm, dry weather.

The Pennies reservoirs are most effected. Not good news this early on in the Summer. Rain is needed. South East Water has issued same statement

Where did all that water go from october 2019-Mid March 2020?

Posted

I think the storms in London in August 2004 were the best imo. Several days in a row, bright humid mornings, huge towers going up and then bang in the afternoons. Lots of flooding mind. 

Everything is just groundhog day nowadays. 

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think we used it! I did mention the threat of this a few weeks ago and got laughed at. The usual first dry weather and drought prophecies are nonsense stuff... well we MAY have a issue if the rain doesn't come soon, sooner the better this early in the season.. Nothing showing for at least 10 to 15 days so not looking good at all.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

No such problems down here. Nearest reservoir is as good as full. 

Keep this going into summer proper though and it might start looking more like 2018.

Posted
37 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Most of it went into the sea. After all, once the resevoirs are full all the extra rainfall that caused so much flooding carried on downstream.The ground was saturated as well and couldn't hold any more.

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, markyo said:

I think we used it! I did mention the threat of this a few weeks ago and got laughed at. The usual first dry weather and drought prophecies are nonsense stuff... well we MAY have a issue if the rain doesn't come soon, sooner the better this early in the season.. Nothing showing for at least 10 to 15 days so not looking good at all.

A poor August will sort that out, and we all know it’s coming. 

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

A poor August will sort that out, and we all know it’s coming. 

I'd go for mid to may be early July for rain,this pattern will break that is for sure. Would be another blow for the tourist industry if it did sadly. 

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

I'd go for mid to may be early July for rain,this pattern will break that is for sure. Would be another blow for the tourist industry if it did sadly. 

Yes its reminding me of 2018, then the dry warm spell started around third week of April and lasted 3 months, August was wet, notably so up here. This dry spell has started a month earlier, so perhaps will end June. We shall see..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

It will rain again, don’t fret. The default pressure pattern for the UK isn’t anticyclonic, and there is no wet or dry season. Water companies have said we’re fine at the moment, which is hardly surprising after winter. This dry spell is nothing compared to some in the past because of winter.