Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
3 hours ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

cool and unsettled june coming up.

Met Office contingency report disagrees, as does the ECMWF monthly, apparently.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot
On 25/05/2020 at 15:29, Stabilo19 said:

Pretty remarkable UV levels forecast for the end of the week. ☀️

uvwow.thumb.png.a11743407b271050969c73c57dbd8e32.png

PlEnTy Of WaRm SuNsHiNe To EnJoY !!1!1!  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Quite an amazing Spring! I've recorded well in excess of 600 hours of Sunshine with 5 days still to go. May is going to be close to beating my sunshine record from July 2018.

1523271656_heatmap(1).thumb.png.568a0da76811638128f028c4a2c17c3e.png

Another thing to note; The relative humidity during the day has been exceptionally low for almost the whole season. 30's and 40's mostly, but also down in to the 20's on some days.

heatmap.thumb.png.807bb50849e24e3aea650338b798de2a.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

To come to think of it, I am in two minds about Spring 2020. On a personal note, I would say it's been a fairly boring Spring due to a lack of changeable weather conditions (as mentioned previously, the same weather bores me after a while). But on a more professional note I would say it's been an amazing Spring as I have always been interested in seeing if a certain month/season/year is going to break any records in terms of being sunniest, warmest, coolest, wettest and so on. During my lifetime so far, I would say that this has been the driest and sunniest Spring by far. And possibly even the warmest.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted

I'm up to 236 hours of sun for May now (slight underestimate, using a Davis sensor and cumulus software, but I miss about an hour in the morning).

597 hours this spring, the sunniest season since getting the sensor in 2015. More than summer 2018 (554 hours due to a duller than average August), though May-July 2018 saw 658 hours.

Today had a bit of cloud in the forecast but was full sunshine like yesterday. The Met Office forecast is now 100% sunny symbols until month's end. If that really happens, as my sensor maxes at about 13.7 hours a day, I'll record 305 hours for May (which will be a slight under-estimate).

April wasn't the sunniest on record locally, but May could be close?

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Now this is exactly the kind of weather I'd love through summer. I hate hot weather, but mid 20s by day is perfect, you really don't need any warmer than that. Nights are cool enough to be pleasant too. Lovely. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
35 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Now this is exactly the kind of weather I'd love through summer. I hate hot weather, but mid 20s by day is perfect, you really don't need any warmer than that. Nights are cool enough to be pleasant too. Lovely. 

Couldn't agree more Nick, this is perfect summer weather,clear skies slight breeze, warm but not hot, great for getting out in. For me if Summer stayed like this with a bit of rain then i couldn't moan......for a change

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
16 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Quite an amazing Spring! I've recorded well in excess of 600 hours of Sunshine with 5 days still to go. May is going to be close to beating my sunshine record from July 2018.

1523271656_heatmap(1).thumb.png.568a0da76811638128f028c4a2c17c3e.png

Another thing to note; The relative humidity during the day has been exceptionally low for almost the whole season. 30's and 40's mostly, but also down in to the 20's on some days.

heatmap.thumb.png.807bb50849e24e3aea650338b798de2a.png

Yes - a predominance of continental air for a long period has resulted in very low humidity. Today feels a lot more ‘sticky’ here in Cambridge with cloud overhead and humidity at 50%. Hardly sapping, but noticeable. Back to sunshine and humidity of 35% tomorrow, which will be bliss again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

To be honest spring heat actually is rarely that humid and I despise humidity. I have no problem with March 12, April 07, May 18 and June 06 for example and they were all warm/hot.

So far this April/May there have only been half a dozen days I'd call humid and none oppressive.

It's July onward that tends to be an issue for me as by then the continent has also warmed sufficiently that the source of any heat has a higher moisture profile. July 2013 being a notable exception of course, that was actually lovely.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Couldn't agree more Nick, this is perfect summer weather,clear skies slight breeze, warm but not hot, great for getting out in. For me if Summer stayed like this with a bit of rain then i couldn't moan......for a change

I find that hard to believe lol.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

I find that hard to believe lol.

Don't know what you could mean......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
On 26/05/2020 at 14:35, East Lancs Rain said:

Hope not. Can cope with cool and dry or warm and wet but not cool AND wet.

Cool and dry is the worst, after lets say theoretically a warm and dry april then we get frosts at the end of april but no rain that is so bad due to crops already struggling from drought then the cold kills em. similar to what we had beginning of may that cold north easterly but not too bad

Posted
9 hours ago, markyo said:

This is why I much prefer May and June, to August especially. High pressure overhead from Mid May through until late June feels much better in my opinion than one in early July to late August. Humidity levels ratch up by July and temps into the 30s are too uncomfortable to do much in, whereas at this time of year, mid 20's and low humidity suits just fine.

We also have the added bonus of extra light, lighter now than at any stage from mid July onwards. Typically late Spring is in the NW at least the most settled time of year. I will say again we have 2 seasons in the NW, a long wet one lasting roughly mid June to mid Feb, and a drier theme mid Feb - mid June (note drier theme), for the SE can probably extend the drier season to late July.

Will we look back on Spring 20 with fond memories, no, but we will probably remember how wonderful the weather was in years to come, 'oh but we spent so much time gardening and walking in the sunshine'.. how fortunate the last 2 and half months didn't occur in Autumn or Winter, and how odd we have had such a long dry sunny warm period.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

According to the Met office website Friday's UV level for my locale is going to be an 8.  That's very unusual, isn't it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

I had a play on the NCEP NCAR composite plotting tool, and got out the surface pressure anomaly and 700mb geopotential height anomaly average over 1st April to 25th May. What we are experiencing seems to be part of a global wavetrain, with most of NW Europe under a ridge. There are regions either side (e.g. Eastern Arctic Canada) which have been under a trough, and I imagine there it has been a very wet spring. If the phase of this wavetrain had been shifted half a wavelength, the UK could be recording a record breaking wet spring, instead of a semi-arid one.

compday.JRa5EctKtb.thumb.gif.f04448e7d5f1235e4d88176387f444fd.gifcompday.fJ72lNEx1H.thumb.gif.e52a4ae561e360e0cb0575c52e80c192.gif

Edited by al78
typo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
21 hours ago, Leo97t said:

I estimate 294 hours in London for this month - 3rd sunniest month on record perhaps behind May 1989 and August 1995 at Heathrow. A very rare 300 hrs looking likely on the south coast.

Easily the 2nd sunniest spring on record here. May would need to record 304 hours to equal and surpass spring 1990.

Possible?

8 minutes ago, B87 said:

Easily the 2nd sunniest spring on record here. May would need to record 304 hours to equal and surpass spring 1990.

Possible?

Just about possible but would require unbroken sunshine to the end of the month. so actually might happen 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 minute ago, Leo97t said:

Just about possible but would require unbroken sunshine to the end of the month. so actually might happen 

Looking at the weatheronline forecast, I estimate 313 hours for the month, which would also make it the sunniest on record (currently 310.1 hours in May 1989).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
20 minutes ago, al78 said:

I had a play on the NCEP NCAR composite plotting tool, and got out the surface pressure anomaly and 700mb geopotential height anomaly average over 1st April to 25th May. What we are experiencing seems to be part of a global wavetrain, with most of NW Europe under a ridge. There are regions either side (e.g. Eastern Arctic Canada) which have been under a trough, and I imagine there it has been a very wet spring. If the phase of this wavetrain had been shifted half a wavelength, the UK could be recording a record breaking wet spring, instead of a semi-arid one.

compday.JRa5EctKtb.thumb.gif.f04448e7d5f1235e4d88176387f444fd.gifcompday.fJ72lNEx1H.thumb.gif.e52a4ae561e360e0cb0575c52e80c192.gif

It was similar through winter though - pattern became completely stuck and repeated for months and we had all that rain. You win some, you lose some!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
49 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It was similar through winter though - pattern became completely stuck and repeated for months and we had all that rain. You win some, you lose some!

Similar in that it was locked in for months , but the geopotential height anomaly through October 2019-February 2020 was indicative of a strong persistent positive NAO/AO signal, but with the centre of the low pressure anomaly shifted south over the UK, not a stagnant zonal wavetrain.

Fu3exk6hWp.thumb.png.43f86dbe269e4e919e987a4f4b745727.png

Posted

Up to 237 hours of sunshine now this May and 637 hours for the spring as a whole. The previous sunniest spring of 2011 with 591 hours is a distant second now. If it was summer, it would be sat in 7th place aswell, with 3½ days remaining to the month.

With no rain forecast its looking like 11.2mm will be the total this month, making it the third driest just behind 1991 (10.1mm) and 2010 (9.6mm). The spring as a whole will be comfortably the driest on 34.2mm, just 24% of average and well below the previous driest at 51.0mm (2011).

We're also set up well for comfortably the warmest second half of May on record (16th-31st). The current warmest is 1982 (13.9C), but the second half of 2020 is currently running at 15.2C. That's a considerable departure from the mean for the 1st-15th May which was 9.3C.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, reef said:

Up to 237 hours of sunshine now this May and 637 hours for the spring as a whole. The previous sunniest spring of 2011 with 591 hours is a distant second now. If it was summer, it would be sat in 7th place aswell, with 3½ days remaining to the month.

With no rain forecast its looking like 11.2mm will be the total this month, making it the third driest just behind 1991 (10.1mm) and 2010 (9.6mm). The spring as a whole will be comfortably the driest on 34.2mm, just 24% of average and well below the previous driest at 51.0mm (2011).

We're also set up well for comfortably the warmest second half of May on record (16th-31st). The current warmest is 1982 (13.9C), but the second half of 2020 is currently running at 15.2C. That's a considerable departure from the mean for the 1st-15th May which was 9.3C.

I thought 1982 was still cold up until June, then it turned hot after that with storms.

Edited by Sunny76

Posted

Devon seemed to have the warmest official stations yesterday (apart from Heathrow of course). 
North Wyke saw 26.2C and Heathrow 26.3C)

1044347301_devonwarmest.thumb.png.2c40b2af64d2d6cdd6eba42a3311ec35.png

Not a bad forecast...
image.thumb.png.c7cab31c17d62ce6e99ff124161b7734.png
Looks similar for many and a touch warmer inland

If it cools down and turns more unsettled afterwards, I won't mind too much.. It might not last long anyway.
Though I have a feeling that even if we had a 1976 summer, one or two would find things in the model output to worry or moan about lol. 

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1