Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
15 hours ago, Azazel said:

Everything is lush and green here. No sign of a looming haboob on the horizon.

Agree but lawns and long grass fields soon stop growing and turn brown very quickly once the heat is turned up...I've watered my front lawn a couple of times in the last week but now starting to show the fore-mentioned signs, anyway can't remember too many years in May when this has happened. Will be interesting to see the state of play come end of June...if and a big if the weather continues in the same vain. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

74DA69B7-5F6F-4FE8-9B1B-B8BF4B6B1EC7.thumb.jpeg.df0249e0409b577f8fb07fdd79b269c9.jpeg

Grass looking a little parched in the Costa Del Cambridge....but i’ve seen worse. Maybe the little sprinkling of rain a few days ago has freshened it up a bit.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Showing signs of that here too but there’s been no rain here since the beginning of the month and that wasn’t exaxely anything significant. 

61E29AF7-E59C-4F5E-8C01-F9DA0331F889.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Pretty remarkable UV levels forecast for the end of the week. ☀️

uvwow.thumb.png.a11743407b271050969c73c57dbd8e32.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

74DA69B7-5F6F-4FE8-9B1B-B8BF4B6B1EC7.thumb.jpeg.df0249e0409b577f8fb07fdd79b269c9.jpeg

Grass looking a little parched in the Costa Del Cambridge....but i’ve seen worse. Maybe the little sprinkling of rain a few days ago has freshened it up a bit.

Starting to see the grass browning in patches here too, but not quite 2018 levels yet though.

This is what it looked like in 2018. It was scorched. 

IMG-7619.thumb.jpg.2e393a3e8b4db683d4a69da20a9d16c8.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Yep  - grass getting dry round here now. Had a tiny bit of rain for about a minute or two yesterday. No rain in sight for the next two weeks.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 24/05/2020 at 13:18, B87 said:

I suspect the average high in the centre of London at the height of summer is a degree or 2 warmer than 23/24c.

That figure is more typical for Heathrow/Kew for the whole of July and August.

If that's true then London not far off becoming subtropical climate and a popular summer holiday destination!

Posted
6 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

If that's true then London not far off becoming subtropical climate and a popular summer holiday destination!

Pretty sure Heathrow is a degree warmer than central London due to....you know, the airport. Which is why I don't know why a weather station would be based there

I wonder what summer has for us this year, in some ways this is similar to Spring 2018 but April was far warmer, we've reached 28C in May, think 29C was recorded in April 2018. Must say am getting bored of everyday being more or less the same tempreature in the 20-26C bracket, sunny etc. It's nice for a while but could do with some variation.

Posted
22 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Pretty sure Heathrow is a degree warmer than central London due to....you know, the airport. Which is why I don't know why a weather station would be based there

I wonder what summer has for us this year, in some ways this is similar to Spring 2018 but April was far warmer, we've reached 28C in May, think 29C was recorded in April 2018. Must say am getting bored of everyday being more or less the same tempreature in the 20-26C bracket, sunny etc. It's nice for a while but could do with some variation.

There are other meteorologic elements which are rather important to airports, such as vis, cloud base and wind.

• Like 2

Posted
On 24/05/2020 at 01:39, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Changeable weather makes things far more interesting and something to talk about. Fingers crossed that June and the rest of the summer will deliver more changeable weather. But I certainly don't want a poor summer though.

I agree. Don't really want a northern blocking type summer like 2007, 2012 or the first half of June 2019 (which was absolutely diabolical) but don't really want a scorcher like 2006 or 2018 either. Somewhere in the middle would be nice.

A westerly summer like 2015 or 2016 with a mixture of warm/hot spells offset by spells of cooler/wetter/cloudier weather would suit me. Not 2017 though as that summer was always raining and had lots of cold winds,

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
47 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Starting to see the grass browning in patches here too, but not quite 2018 levels yet though.

Even here in rainy Lancashire we had brown grass in July 2018!

Posted
On 24/05/2020 at 11:30, Sunny76 said:

I was still putting heating on up to last weekend. Last night I went back to wearing tracksuit bottoms, instead of shorts, because the flat started to feel a bit cool again. Not cold though.

Our flat is north facing, so we really need to see a few days of plus 24c temps for the flat to warm up properly. 

Same here, heating was still on until last weekend. Not needed it for about a week now though often not warm enough to wear shorts and a t-shirt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
57 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

I’m sure the weather station is located somewhere suitable and not in the middle of a large area of tarmac. Many weather stations around the world are based at major airports, should they all be moved/closed? And it’s untrue to say that Heathrow is warmer than central London. Maybe in an E’ly wind but in our prevailing W’lies, the opposite is true. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
2 hours ago, qwertyK said:

Airports tend to be cooler than the central UHI of cities. Kew Gardens isn't an airport but average summer highs there are at least as warm as those of Heathrow.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I agree. Don't really want a northern blocking type summer like 2007, 2012 or the first half of June 2019 (which was absolutely diabolical) but don't really want a scorcher like 2006 or 2018 either. Somewhere in the middle would be nice.

A westerly summer like 2015 or 2016 with a mixture of warm/hot spells offset by spells of cooler/wetter/cloudier weather would suit me. Not 2017 though as that summer was always raining and had lots of cold winds,

Thank-you! My thoughts entirely!  I might not want a drought, but neither do I want continual rain, either. 

• Like 1

Posted

A 1994 type summer would be good. We had a hot second half of June, hot July and an unsettled thundery August.

That summer was a mixture of hot and cool weather, with thunderstorms. 

• Like 2

Posted

Tell you what - I’ll accept a 2018 summer BUT with torrential evening thunderstorms every other day. 

deal?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

The vegetation was crazy here. I’m 35 and I’ve never seen anything like 2018 - it was like the south of France or Spain how brown everything was.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
27 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Tell you what - I’ll accept a 2018 summer BUT with torrential evening thunderstorms every other day. 

deal?

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

As long as any cloud or clut from said storms clears to leave a blue sky day, with storms timed for dusk thereabouts, thank you

Can dream.

Edited by CheesepuffScott
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The grass is yellowing off here too and looks like what you’d expect in August. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
21 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Agreed. I picked exactly the wrong two week period to go on a backpacking trip in the Scottish highlands.

Posted
59 minutes ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

cool and unsettled june coming up.

Hope not. Can cope with cool and dry or warm and wet but not cool AND wet.

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, al78 said:

Did you see any snow? I remember  watching "summer watch" with Chris Packham and they were in the Scottish Highlands. They were all wrapped up and they said it was really cold, only 4°C.