Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
21 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Indeed, and it's just as illogical then!

But if the concept of the thread is about 'the chase', which essentially it is. then, irrespective what you are chasing, logic and thoughtful appraisal of the models goes out the window and it becomes a 'game' But apparently this what most punters want Go figure. And as far as I'm aware there are threads for regional discussions.8)

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

We now only need another 90 hours of sun this month to record our sunniest spring on record.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, B87 said:

We now only need another 90 hours of sun this month to record our sunniest spring on record.

not surprised, quarantine spring

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 22/05/2020 at 16:24, Sunny76 said:

Thank you!

We don’t get that much hot weather compared to cold or cooler weather in this country, despite a warming climate. I would say more than half the year people use the heating in their houses, flats, and or still wear a jumper at times, even during cool summer weather.

Take 2019 for example, we only had a couple of weeks where it felt uncomfortably hot.

2018 was the only summer where it probably felt unbearable for most people, and yet, it was still enjoyable.

While that is somewhat true, bear in mind some houses (especially modern houses) are really well insulated so the heat gets trapped and this causes the indoor temperature to be much higher than the outdoor temperature, so in summer leads to uncomfortable and stuffy conditions. For example, in the very centre of London the average daytime high in the height of summer is around 23/24c, so flats in the middle of London could average 30c in summer.

It is also costly to install aircon, so most people have to make do with fans, portable air con etc.

I don't have that problem though - I live in a 1930's bungalow - rarely gets hot - often in summer it's below 20c. Last June it dropped to 16c in the living room so had to put the heating on!

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
52 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

not surprised, quarantine spring

On the plus side though I've had more time to go out for walks, sit in the garden etc. Save the rain for when i'm at work!

Posted

Loving the wind at the moment. Really refreshing and cool this evening. Had my bedroom window open and it feels great. Really fresh feel. Like being on the west coast (where it's often windy).

If we have an active hurricane season we might see more of these wind storms over the next few months. I remember in June 2018 (despite being a really warm and settled month overall) we had a named storm (forgot the name).

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
22 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

I must be one of the selected few who prefers low pressure systems delivering wind and rain as opposed to high pressure dominating for weeks upon end. 

Personally I can’t stand high temperatures as they are often hot, sticky and humid in this country. No fun in the day or at night. 

And I am one of those even fewer people who enjoys both wind storms, warm sunny days, spanish plumes, not to mention a violent thunderstorm. Hoping for a warm and thundery summer followed by a really stormy Autumn. That would be perfect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I have really enjoyed the last couple of days as we experienced something a little different weather wise. But from Monday onwards it looks like we are going back to the same weather we have been experiencing predominantly since the beginning of April. Here's hoping that June will give us more of a variety of weather. ⛅ ?️ ⛈️

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted

I think any weather which has been dominating for a long period gets boring after a while, be it rain, wind, sun/heat, snow etc. 

i personally prefer ‘changeable’ weather.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Josh Rubio said:

I think any weather which has been dominating for a long period gets boring after a while, be it rain, wind, sun/heat, snow etc. 

i personally prefer ‘changeable’ weather.

Changeable weather makes things far more interesting and something to talk about. Fingers crossed that June and the rest of the summer will deliver more changeable weather. But I certainly don't want a poor summer though.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

My kind of changeable at this time of year would be warm/hot spells with thunderstorms mixed in. Not so keen on cooler wet and windy weather at this time of year. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

My kind of changeable at this time of year would be warm/hot spells with thunderstorms mixed in. Not so keen on cooler wet and windy weather at this time of year. 

Ah, thunderstorms. That is something we are definitely long overdue on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Ah, thunderstorms. That is something we are definitely long overdue on.

Definitely. Some got lucky today but overall there's been a real lack of storms over the last few years in many areas. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Nothing wrong with wanting/enjoying some rain during the warmer months, particularly  if one is a gardener/grower. Am quite happy to see rain from time to time, especially from convection, thunderstorms being a fascinating bonus. As long as much of the season is warm and sunny. It’s the melodrama on here that is unnecessary. We are nowhere near a drought, after pretty much 5 months solid of rain between late September last year and the end of February this year. 

Here in Prague, it chucked it down all day yesterday, looks like heavy, possibly thundery showers today on a strong and gusty wind from the W. Pretty cool for the time of year, too.

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

While that is somewhat true, bear in mind some houses (especially modern houses) are really well insulated so the heat gets trapped and this causes the indoor temperature to be much higher than the outdoor temperature, so in summer leads to uncomfortable and stuffy conditions. For example, in the very centre of London the average daytime high in the height of summer is around 23/24c, so flats in the middle of London could average 30c in summer.

It is also costly to install aircon, so most people have to make do with fans, portable air con etc.

I don't have that problem though - I live in a 1930's bungalow - rarely gets hot - often in summer it's below 20c. Last June it dropped to 16c in the living room so had to put the heating on!

I was still putting heating on up to last weekend. Last night I went back to wearing tracksuit bottoms, instead of shorts, because the flat started to feel a bit cool again. Not cold though.

Our flat is north facing, so we really need to see a few days of plus 24c temps for the flat to warm up properly. 

Posted
9 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Changeable weather makes things far more interesting and something to talk about. Fingers crossed that June and the rest of the summer will deliver more changeable weather. But I certainly don't want a poor summer though.

Changeable in my book is poor for summer.

I want long sunny warm spells with the odd thunderstorm and no days below 23c please. 

I was happy during the middle of last week, and while Friday was nice enough, the wind was an issue for me. And yesterday was not something I want on a regular basis during the coming summer. Showers and cold west wind gives me headache and cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

I suspect the average high in the centre of London at the height of summer is a degree or 2 warmer than 23/24c.

That figure is more typical for Heathrow/Kew for the whole of July and August.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
On 23/05/2020 at 18:55, knocker said:

But if the concept of the thread is about 'the chase', which essentially it is. then, irrespective what you are chasing, logic and thoughtful appraisal of the models goes out the window and it becomes a 'game' But apparently this what most punters want Go figure. And as far as I'm aware there are threads for regional discussions.8)

Thinking further about this, I think you're onto something with your comment about some acting as though this is a game.  Were the desires of some Netweather posters to verify, the virus would seem insignificant compared with the chaos and economic disaster following the drought that such an outcome would cause.  I know I'm being repetitive in my posts, and that those who want four months of heat think I'm trying to ruin their enjoyment (even moderators think I'm guilt-tripping heat lovers when I make the point that it, as with all meteorological extremes, has downsides) but I really, seriously think this forum is at risk, as you suggest, of forgetting that this isn't a game or a simulation - it's real life, and people can be seriously affected by extreme weather.  Do we really wish further suffering when the virus is bringing misery and hardship to a fair percentage of the population?  Crop failures, increases in food costs and shortages in the supermarkets would be yet another problem that most in this country who don't obsess over computer weather models would, I'm sure, prefer not to have to contend with this year, if ever.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
30 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Everything is lush and green here. No sign of a looming haboob on the horizon.

Not saying it's imminent, but that another 3 months of low rainfall will cause problems.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

A bit of yellow grass where it's been cut here but reasonable green growth. One of the evergreen tree species seems to be showing drought stress. Bare ground is completely dust though.

I'd say we are behind 2018 so far here.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
1 hour ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Not saying it's imminent, but that another 3 months of low rainfall will cause problems.

It’s very clear here the ground is baked dug down 9” and hard no moisture to be seen. Desperately need rain. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
3 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Do we really wish further suffering when the virus is bringing misery and hardship to a fair percentage of the population?  Crop failures, increases in food costs and shortages in the supermarkets would be yet another problem that most in this country who don't obsess over computer weather models would, I'm sure, prefer not to have to contend with this year, if ever.

Is it really necessary to keep going over and over this every year? Quite frankly, i'm sick of it. It has been repeated so many times, but yes, this is a weather forum. Members are interested in all aspects of weather, even if that means wanting it hot and dry.

The majority of members on here enjoy coming on to discuss storms, or the possibility of a heatwave/snow storm. They do not want to be preached to about what the weather may or may not cause, because it won't make an ounce of difference to the outcome.

Please, give it a rest and let people enjoy there time on here.

• Like 7

Posted
9 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Of course it might - but I can assure you that this being the UK, we will soon see endless rainfall to balance it out.

Source: I live here and it happens every single time. 

• Like 4

Posted

We've just passed 600 hours of sunshine for the spring, beating the previous record of 591hrs set in 2011. May is also up to 203 hours, meaning its now guaranteed we'll record a sixth consecutive sunnier than average month. As the hours tick up, it'll be interesting to see how far it goes up against the sunniest summers, as only 8 have been sunnier than this spring so far.

In regards to rainfall, we've seen 16.2mm in March, 6.6mm in April and 11.4mm so far in May for a total of 34.2mm. The record driest spring was 2011 with 51.0mm, so its looking certain we'll be beat that as the GFS 6z shows <1mm for us until 4th June. More interestingly is locally, the Hull Pearson Park station has a driest spring of 37.1mm and that's going back to 1847, so there's a real possibility that this spring is the driest in at least 173 years around here. 

• Like 2