Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 minute ago, qwertyK said:

Ah, I guess I forgot about that and the fact its only this warm in the south and east

Yes - we escaped the worst down here, but the CET recording zone took a bigger hit. It’s also not quite as warm as the SE anyway, so your local experience may be different from the CET picture.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

And?

We get more unsettled and cloudy cool weather throughout the year. For once, I’m not suffering from having cold hands.

We have barely had 2-3 days of hot weather, and already people are whining.

The same folk who say ‘oh toughen up you fairy’ when I feel cold in temps below 16c.

I think it’s the warmsters turn to enjoy what we don’t get much of. The coldies can wait until late August.

Hence the name of the thread, moans and ramps, 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

You may as well ignore that particular poster. He only really moans it’s not cold enough in the winter, then just appears for 3-4 months in summer to complain about how terrible and hot 20c+ is before disappearing again. Clockwork.

I will, thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Locally the flora and fauna are thriving in the warm spring conditions. No real sign of drought in the grass.. yet! ☀️

Give it another month of warm, sunny & dry conditions then we might see the landscape start turning brown. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
7 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Locally the flora and fauna are thriving in the warm spring conditions. No real sign of drought in the grass.. yet! ☀️

Give it another month of warm, sunny & dry conditions then we might see the landscape start turning brown. 

Just wait for lockdown over/stage 3 from early July, rain for days on end

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Just wait for lockdown over/stage 3 from early July, rain for days on end

It’s almost inevitable. The weather more or less flipped to amazing as soon as we locked down....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Spring 2018 wetter than average in the south east?...all I can remember is largely sunny skies particularly in later April and May.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny days and balmy evenings.

Here in West Yorkshire, other than last week which was cool & cloudy, this has been the best spring I've witnessed in my life. The dry summers of 2003/2006 felt like the current pattern,where once HP became established, even though I remember the models at the time showing breakdowns, you just knew HP was gonna stick around... It wasn't always favourable in location (for heat) but it was definitely in an abundance around our latitude...

I read the Accuweather summer forecast today and it doesn't sound like they expect this lengthy settled spell to last that long which I hope is wrong tbh... I'm hoping the reduction in global pollution makes the Azores our friend fot at least the next couple of months!  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
50 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Spring 2018 wetter than average in the south east?...all I can remember is largely sunny skies particularly in later April and May.

March was very wet overall for England and April was pretty wet also. 

Breakdown of the Spring 2018 months:

03374189-0A09-4FB5-9709-F11D4E390647.thumb.gif.d0da602b6996d01fa944b5d1b55b680a.gif26A63EBB-CBB8-40B6-AEB3-3400B173D6E5.thumb.gif.99c46071d8528054dd45d1fb8ba5c798.gif520C1809-B489-46DE-B2B4-71C9D75FE4FB.thumb.gif.c425a315ef5759b03e58d0aeec2fa092.gif

50A66266-7BBC-4CDF-BA7C-42A67AF21320.thumb.gif.946a6f3d00d54c3b40f0cfd6c6a985a6.gif

Spring 2018 Summary:

4C0AB6E7-B297-44A3-A33A-13171ADFEBE4.thumb.jpeg.6204ab00a74ab3e79f1810d471117980.jpeg

What a month May 2018 was - sunniest and warmest on record.

7117214f-60aa-47d4-9493-0d10340e7cfa.jpg
WWW.ITV.COM

The UK has enjoyed its sunniest and warmest May since records began, provisional figures show. A total of 245.3 hours of sunshine were measured across the country last...

CC6F76DF-9DDC-4923-8DCC-3BD8C7F1C158.thumb.gif.19dceccdf4a672dab66405dfba5e12f9.gifF0C8E189-B987-4D4A-9CA1-45926044290A.thumb.gif.e5f688e0eb20eae31a5518e6fdfbb126.gif

CC331BD4-FCB1-4CED-964F-663017768D9C.thumb.png.a79f0f5ff32a4be67aa2a7f533daffdd.png95F6C4DF-5A57-4A88-A3AA-302383927791.thumb.png.844324b8fd9316b50e136755cd502ed9.png

Spring really is a wonderful season - bit of variety for the cold/warm weather lovers. 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A day of full sun yesterday, and sunny today until cirrostratus thickened later in the afternoon. That brings my 'estimated' sunshine total using a Davis sensor and Cumulus software to 185.8 hours (this will be slightly under the true total, mainly because I miss about an hour of sun in the morning).

We've had some cloud recently, but no day with less than 6.7 hours of sun since the 5th of May.

It will be interesting to see where we end up, the forecast is fairly sunny overall.

The unsettled blip looks 'bright and breezy' here.. a bit of variety is nice anyway and it will keep the wind and kite surfers happy for a bit 

• Like 1

Posted

May 18 was excellent in the lake district, perfect month. This May from a Lakeland perspective so far is proving to be decent but not especially so despite some good lengthy dry weather. Last week was very chilly with a poor spell Sunday to Tuesday grey gloom and wet. Immediate outlook very mixed, and a dry sunny warm final week wont be enough to rank it in any high regard.  I am not very forgiving when it comes to May as in my opinion it is the best month in the Lake District and only the best weather will do. We have June still to come a close second but come July the clock starts to tick as we descend into our long wet season.. until February. August the supposed holiday month is firmly in the wet season. Its dry weather I rank most highly when it comes to weather in this neck of the woods not necessarily high temperatures which are a bonus, sunshine levels also help  but I can take a day with patchy cloud or high level cloud, it's the grey damp gloom that I cant stand and we have far too much of that here, usually arrives in July and long out stays its welcome until late winter. Reason I rate May so much is that it is least likely now thanks to sw and west airstreams being less likely and humidity levels are lower than high summer.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted

Lovely and fresh now after a sticky night,outlook showing no repeat of high temps next week also. Perfect

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, markyo said:

Lovely and fresh now after a sticky night,outlook showing no repeat of high temps next week also. Perfect

Have a day off mate. It’ll make you feel better. 

Posted
29 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Have a day off mate. It’ll make you feel better. 

Oh how touchy one is....

Posted

Last night's euphoria and hysteria on the mad thread seems to have dissipated somewhat. 

Dry again this morning despite the light rain forecast. 

Posted
40 minutes ago, markyo said:

Oh how touchy one is....

To be fair though, you do only ever come on here to moan in the summer. It is a bit tedious year after year. We get it, you don’t like anything over about 6c.

Posted
9 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

To be fair though, you do only ever come on here to moan in the summer. It is a bit tedious year after year. We get it, you don’t like anything over about 6c.

Just ignore me then! Its called a moans and ramps thread for a reason. I don't say how tedious in the winter months when folk come on saying how cold it is.

Posted

Lets not start this rubbish again for another season, please.

Those who don't like certain weather types probably need to understand they don't need to bang the same drum over and over again, multiple times daily etc etc, as frankly doing so starts to look like it's solely to get a reaction. And those who struggle to accept someone may have different weather preferences to their own, maybe need to get over themselves a tad.

If we can all manage that, this thread will be a better place...

• Like 3

Posted

I can't say I'm very keen on the fact that sometimes this thread is used to tell (or advise) people to to ignore or block certain posters. It has happened to me in the past, and I really couldn't care less if people do this, but most people are quite capable of making up their own mind without unsolicited advice from others. 

• Like 4

Posted
13 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

It was cold and dull throughout March and the first half of April 2018 was dull and still quite cold. I had to cancel a couple of outdoor jobs until the third week of April because of the cold.

The second half of April is where it turned nice and warm, and bar a few cooler cloudy days, it stayed sunny and warm or hot, until mid August.

2018 was the best year for long unbroken sunshine, and the best since 1995 in the London area. 

I don’t think 2020 will be anything near that, as I have a feeling the summer will be cloudier and possibly cooler than average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
48 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

possibly cooler than average.

I've got £50 of my hypothetical money says it won't, as for March being wet yes remember that and the start of April must of been unsettled too but the chart for May 2018 rainfall is a bit baffling, near normal, really?...can't remember much precipitation where I lived at all and a lot of sunshine.

I wonder how accurate these MetO maps are? I know where I live is near to the driest place in the UK (St Osyth) and at times wonder if we have our own micro-climate particularly when it comes to rainfall. 

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
12 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

I've got £50 of my hypothetical money says it won't, as for March being wet yes remember that and the start of April must of been unsettled too but the chart for May 2018 rainfall is a bit baffling, near normal, really?...can't remember much precipitation where I lived at all and a lot of sunshine.

I wonder how accurate these MetO maps are? I know where I live is near to the driest place in the UK (St Osyth) and at times wonder if we have our own micro-climate particularly when it comes to rainfall. 

I remember thunderstorms/torrential downpours broke out down that way during May? Maybe that’s why the rainfall maps show what they do? 

4A2744AC-7865-41DC-B581-8A03F814422A.thumb.gif.b24d2364308079991b0ffec3bdf3adbc.gif

I think what one remembers from past weather years/months is usually slightly different from what actually happened.  

Personally I would say the Met Office maps are accurate and our best tool for actual information/stats/facts.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Of course, if we did end up having a summer that confounded expectations, that might actually mean a nice August for once...!

• Like 1