Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

As reef suggests, blocked doesn't necessarily mean cold. You need the blocking in the "right" place.

Indeed - apologies for not being specific - I was thinking about the "right sort" of blocking!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Back to spring, I sure wish I had a garden to enjoy right now. I can't believe all the flats around here that have balconies with nobody using them. I'd give anything for a bit of outdoor space!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A new station record for me.. 22% RH this afternoon. Wonderful weather!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

Sick of this weather already and it's only May.  Worse still there might be another three months of this hell to suffer through.

Roll on Autumn.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s lovely. I got fed up sitting in the shade during April and early May, when some days it felt quite chilly in the shade, and my hands were blue lol. 

Don’t get me wrong, I like those sunny spring days with a nip in the air, cool mornings and evenings, but as we enter the second half of May, I start to welcome the hot weather. 

Hope you enjoy the weather, we all need something to look forward to and lift us at this time. ....like me sat in front of the air con unit!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sir Mim said:

Sick of this weather already and it's only May.  Worse still there might be another three months of this hell to suffer through.

Roll on Autumn.

Only a month to go before the days get shorter so hang on in there!

• Like 1

Posted

Feel a bit short-changed in my area from this spell- we've struggled with cloud up to yesterday evening due to the high being too far south, and now after one superb (and very warm) day today, it looks like an annoying front is going to move through tomorrow and restrict the temperature. Then potentially a few cool days to get through again after that.

No one could have foreseen that random tropical storm that scuppered what seemed to be an inevitable pressure build for all of us this week. Hopefully it will all work out well long term though. The latest GFS run is making me slightly concerned for next week now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
1 minute ago, Scorcher said:

Feel a bit short-changed in my area from this spell- we've struggled with cloud up to yesterday evening due to the high being too far south, and now after one superb (and very warm) day today, it looks like an annoying front is going to move through tomorrow and restrict the temperature. Then potentially a few cool days to get through again after that.

No one could have foreseen that random tropical storm that scuppered what seemed to be an inevitable pressure build for all of us this week. Hopefully it will all work out well long term though. The latest GFS run is making me slightly concerned for next week now.

As a fellow Mancunian I can relate! It's been a cloudy and overcast affair without question but I have to admit today has been lovely without question

Heading into next week, there does definitely look to be further HP around initially, which will no doubt bring largely fine days and feeling warm. It's the latter half of next week which seems a little up in the air at the moment with the latest GFS really wanting to cool things down with it pulling some winds in from the north by D10 - with it would probably be something slightly more unsettled but not overly so. It's a long way off though - I wouldn't be too worried about that just yet

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
3 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Interesting that summer 2013 was drier here than 2018, yet the landscape wasn't as brown/grey.  I presume that the winter of 2012/13 was wetter than that of 2017/18?

If anything winter 2018 was wetter than 2013. 2018 had it's warm, dry spell from April-July though whereas it was pretty chilly, probably dull and much wetter in the April-June period.

2 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Any thoughts as to the cause, Nick?  Singularity seems to think that SSTs have something to do with it, and, if he's correct, this summer will be interesting as he thinks most of the other variables are aligned towards a cooler, unsettled summer.

The Met made a video last summer showing that the NAO phase is cyclical on a decadal scale and correlated well with precipitation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Only a month to go before the days get shorter so hang on in there!

No thanks. The decline into the darker months doesn’t really take hold until late August. 

I can’t understand people who hate summer, especially in this country, when half the year is miserable and damp. 

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Sir Mim said:

Roll on Autumn.

Like last year? No thanks 

• Like 2

Posted

Interesting to see the maps put up, confirms that many recent summers have been average or wetter than average than dry, only 2013 and 2018 notably dry. July and August have been particularly wet at times. The driest period of the year statistically is always roughly mid Feb to mid June. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, Sir Mim said:

Roll on Autumn.

We need more of a variation in the weather. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Gorgeous weather yesterday & today.

I don't think 24-27°C is unbearable for most.. there were plenty of people out enjoying themselves in the park today at least.

Our "warm" weather is fairly tame compared to most of the world. 40°C anyone?

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Sir Mim said:

Roll on Autumn.

I agree with you. 

But, not bothered now as the longer this tedious dry and sunny weather has gone on the less likely we are goingvto get a long hot sweltering summer. We seem to get the same weather now for several months eg last winter. 

Nope, hang in there. This will last till early June then the Atlantic swings into gear till mid/ late August. Im going for a 2010 type summet, or perhaps 2012.

• Like 2

Posted
33 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Can see the smoke plume from a major fire on an industrial estate to my west some miles way

This was visible in the pictures from Manchester United's training ground at Carrington today as well on their return to training.

Posted
12 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I can’t understand people who hate summer, especially in this country

Hayfever(streaming eyes,lack of sleep),hot bedroom,hot cars,sweating working conditions,getting home from work at 2am,only 2 hrs of darkness before full daylight,windows closed you cook or windows open and endure the noise.....oh the joys of summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
12 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Can see the smoke plume from a major fire on an industrial estate to my west some miles way

Ah, so that's what the smoke was; I was out on a bicycle ride around West Lancs, and you could see a plume of black/dark smoke - I presumed it was a grass/heathland fire. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Well an incredible spring so far if you like sun and a fair share of warm/very warm days but to be honest the absolute lack of any convectional stuff does make the weather a bit boring to follow - today's threat of convectional stuff wasn't even worth mentioning by forecasters over the last few days.

• Like 3

Posted

Might be the best spring in living memory here. Shame about the lockdown/pandemic etc - but that will make it stick in the mind even more in the years to come I would imagine. I can’t even fathom how depressing this would all have been if the weather had been awful.

Agree with Froze above ^^ regarding convection though - it was the one thing I disliked about summer 2018 - there was just no convection whatsoever. No surface based storms, no plumes, nothing. I could do with a good storm right about now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
49 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Well an incredible spring so far if you like sun and a fair share of warm/very warm days but to be honest the absolute lack of any convectional stuff does make the weather a bit boring to follow - today's threat of convectional stuff wasn't even worth mentioning by forecasters over the last few days.

I agree with you 100%. Don't get me wrong, this Spring has been lovely but more of a variation is needed in our weather otherwise it becomes boring after a little while. But it seems nowadays that having the same type of weather dragging on and on for weeks if not months on end is becoming more of a common occurrence. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

What is happening since the 1st of April can not be described other then a major debacle for UKMO and EC seasonal modeling. Have a look at these images. The regions on their maps that were supposed to warmest against the mean are having nearly off the scale cold anomalies and believe it or not next 10 days will take this to another level - North East and East Central Europe. This has also been highlighted on Accuweather spring forecast map to be warm. This makes their BBQ summer debacle look like an accurate forecast compared to this one. I have never seen such an unanimous forecast go wrong in the same magnitude for a long time. Of course there is June still left to save these forecasts, but I dont think 40C in Tallin will happen to balance out over 5C inaccuracy. 

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-x1EWpCCthrA5OFnB.jpg

ec.PNG

Capture.PNG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

What happens in Eastern Europe can stay in Eastern Europe. It's bloomin' lovely here in the UK, and that's what counts!

• Like 1

Posted

Still on course for the sunniest and driest spring on record here. 

GFS 6z shows accumulated rainfall of 10-12mm by the end of the month which would take us to 43-45mm for the spring in total. The current record driest is 2011 with 51.0mm.

Sunshine wise May is now on 165hrs and the spring on 564hrs. Only 28 more hours needed before the end of the month to beat the record set in 2011 of 591hrs.

• Like 2