Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

It felt quite chilly / cold at times last week. And the week before it was warm. So it seems like we're up and down with the temperatures, which might end up as average to above average. It depends how the upcoming few days & next week turns out. ☀️

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Spring won't be the warmest, we'd need 13.8C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm
35 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Spring won't be the warmest, we'd need 13.8C.

Probably not but it is going to be up there. One of the driest, sunniest for sure. This after all those weeks of rain.

Get used to it. These type of  spring into summer prolonged high pressure systems like we experienced in 2018 will be a frequent visitor to our shores. Nothing surprises me any more. I fully expect temps of 35C+ this summer.

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted
12 minutes ago, BlueSkies_do_I_see said:

Probably not but it is going to be up there. One of the driest, sunniest for sure. This after all those weeks of rain.

Get used to it. These type of  spring into summer prolonged high pressure systems like we experienced in 2018 will be a frequent visitor to our shores. Nothing surprises me any more. I fully expect temps of 35C+ this summer.

That’s not a bad thing.

Nobody wants a 2007-12 or 1985-88 summer era.  They all stank! 

Posted

I'm actually fine with a 07, 11, 12.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

I'm not someone  who chases high temperatures. Light winds, blue skies and 16-22C is fine for me. Mid April to mid June during settled periods like this are the months I wait the rest of the year to experience again. By late Jine, July, and early August the night-time heat gets too much for me and I retreat to a tent in the garden or even better the coast.

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted
8 hours ago, BlueSkies_do_I_see said:

I'm not someone  who chases high temperatures. Light winds, blue skies and 16-22C is fine for me. Mid April to mid June during settled periods like this are the months I wait the rest of the year to experience again. By late Jine, July, and early August the night-time heat gets too much for me and I retreat to a tent in the garden or even better the coast.

Fair enough. Each to their own.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
10 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m not knocking the weather, as it’s been lovely and sunny. But, it hasn’t been consistently warm every day. I’ve worn winter jackets up until recently, while also having days where I’ve walked around in a light jacket or just a t shirt. It’s been a transitional period, with gradual warming, but still a cool feel to things in the mornings and evenings.

I’m surprised we haven’t had many warm nights given the fact we’ve had quite a few sunny days. The warm nights and humidity will most likely start kicking in from this week. Usually when daytime highs reach or surpass 26-27c, you notice a real change in the air, and nights remain warm.

Long rant over lol.

It’s harder to get really warm nights in early spring, just due to the nights still being long enough for the heat to radiate away under high pressure.....as well as the ground not being warm enough. We’re getting to the point now where the warmth can hold on overnight. We may see lows of 15/16c this week, which is oppressive for some!

• Like 1

Posted

It also depends where you are. London heat is more unbearable than outside in the smaller towns or countryside. 

I live in London, and the nights can be uncomfortable between June and August, or sometimes early September(but it’s not often). Even when we do get hot spells like 2018, there was a cooler interlude of 19-21c in the middle of June. And another one in July. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It’s harder to get really warm nights in early spring, just due to the nights still being long enough for the heat to radiate away under high pressure.....as well as the ground not being warm enough. We’re getting to the point now where the warmth can hold on overnight. We may see lows of 15/16c this week, which is oppressive for some!

That’s nice. I’ve had enough of the cool or cold nights. But, it can be difficult to sleep when night time temps reach over 16c. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
On 18/05/2020 at 08:56, mb018538 said:

The lowest reservoir in the whole country is at 70%.....most are still above 90%. They are fine. Rivers are low, and obviously farmers and growers would like some rain....but after the winter it’s hardly disaster stations. We’re not in California or Australia are we. It’s just been a bit dry. You can always rely on some rain eventually turning up in the UK.

Absolutely I'm glad someone shares my view - I don't think we're anywhere close to 'drought' conditions yet, I think if we experience a continued lack of precipitation for the next few months, coupled with very warm or hot conditions then reservoirs and the like may begin to struggle but here right now we're fine

I'm also in the belief that these very low rainfall totals aren't here to stay, and things may turn a bit more closer to average or even above as we head into the next season. But hey I'm likely to be wrong!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
8 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It also depends where you are. London heat is more unbearable than outside in the smaller towns or countryside. 

I live in London, and the nights can be uncomfortable between June and August, or sometimes early September(but it’s not often). Even when we do get hot spells like 2018, there was a cooler interlude of 19-21c in the middle of June. And another one in July. 

Out at Heathrow the average low in summer is 14c, in the centre and in the UHI it's probably more like 15-16c average low.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

First uncomfortable day....oh well it had to come...Aircon already going

Posted
36 minutes ago, markyo said:

First uncomfortable day....oh well it had to come...Aircon already going

Uncomfortable? This is my ideal tempreature for this time of year...25C but with humidity feeling like 28C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
22 hours ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

Absolutely I'm glad someone shares my view - I don't think we're anywhere close to 'drought' conditions yet, I think if we experience a continued lack of precipitation for the next few months, coupled with very warm or hot conditions then reservoirs and the like may begin to struggle but here right now we're fine

I'm also in the belief that these very low rainfall totals aren't here to stay, and things may turn a bit more closer to average or even above as we head into the next season. But hey I'm likely to be wrong!

It's more a question of crop failures, wildfire risk and, less seriously but still to be considered, damage to gardens that's the problem.

• Like 1

Posted
On 18/05/2020 at 09:07, Azazel said:

Drought rampers out in force I see knowing full well we live in the UK and it will rain for months on end at some point.

One day the climate might change so far that your comfortable certainty turns out to be wrong - for all we know, 2020 might be that year. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

It's more a question of crop failures, wildfire risk and, less seriously but still to be considered, damage to gardens that's the problem.

Yes, the farmers around here will be crying out for rain after only 33.0mm since the end of February. It was quite notable how anaemic the rapeseed and wheat looked yesterday when walking through the fields. The ground is like dust with cracks everywhere. Groundwater levels are fine however.

Anyway today has reached 24C, making it the 8th May to do so in 40 years.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

One day the climate might change so far that your comfortable certainty turns out to be wrong - for all we know, 2020 might be that year. 

Last year the environment agency warned England would face water shortages by 2035, yet at the same time rainfall is increasing in winter, so overall there is actually more rainfall. 

Posted
Just now, reef said:

Yes, the farmers around here will be crying out for rain after only 33.0mm since the end of February. It was quite notable how anaemic the rapeseed and wheat looked yesterday when walking through the fields. The ground is like dust with cracks everywhere. Groundwater levels are fine however.

Anyway today has reached 24C, making it the 8th May to do so in 40 years.

Only 8th May to reach 24C? Really? I can't remember a May where we haven't reached 24C in May

Posted
Just now, qwertyK said:

Last year the environment agency warned England would face water shortages by 2035, yet at the same time rainfall is increasing in winter, so overall there is actually more rainfall. 

Only if you ignore the inconvenient fact that rainfall is diminishing in summer.

Posted
Just now, qwertyK said:

Only 8th May to reach 24C? Really? I can't remember a May where we haven't reached 24C in May

That's for here, the record May high for us is only 26.8C set in 2017. We've hit 25C on 4 occasions, three of which were in the last decade.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Only if you ignore the inconvenient fact that rainfall is diminishing in summer.

Still, that's not entirely true is it? Trends are changing - sure summers may be dryer now, but didn't we have a period from around 2007-2012 where we had wet, cool summers? They were actually predicting abck then summers in the future would be cooler. Even so, rainfall this year must be more or less the same as last, if not more

Posted
Just now, reef said:

That's for here, the record May high for us is only 26.8C set in 2017. We've hit 25C on 4 occasions, three of which were in the last decade.

Oh right, was going to say 24C is pretty normal for May down here in the south